Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I wouldn't be surprised if HP's unsubsidized price was comparative to the Xoom, assuming they go the contract way. If they take the iPad contract-free path, then it needs to be priced competitively with the iPad.

Personally, assuming everything else is solid (hardware, software, etc.), I hope they take the contract-free path. I could only imagine that deters a lot of people. Who wants another mobile plan for a tablet? One that is probably, at a minimum, $50 - $60 a month.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    $800? Whee... that must be some strong stuff they are smoking in their offices.
    With all of this information in mind, I could honestly see the topaz selling more than the xoom. This could potentially be the first opportunity for palm (even though they don't really exist anymore) to one up moto since moto killed the pre with the original droid.

Moto's biggest weakness is it's dependence on the carriers. You can see that with the ridicules pricing of the xoom and atrix. Conversely, Hp could use their so called "scale" to their advantage by having the big name retailers get behind the product and try and really sell it as an iPad competitor. I think it could really trap consumer interest if they have a great in house ad campaign that shows what the product is and how it could be valuable to customers, followed by large support from best buy. The best buy follow up would be crucial as it really is a trusted name in consumer electronics with typical consumers.

Getting best buy and other large retailers on board will be an indicator of whether or not hp's scale will actually be a factor in the market, or if they were just blowing smoke. If hp prices are competitive with the iPad, and they actually market the damn thing (and I mean really market it) we could potentially see the first webos device to put up somewhat successful sales and perhaps put a dent in the market share. We won't know for sure until the 9th, but I could honestly see the topaz pulling some tangible hype.
    wow 800 for a tablet. I just got an hp envy 14 with i580 for $800
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    With all of this information in mind, I could honestly see the topaz selling more than the xoom. This could potentially be the first opportunity for palm (even though they don't really exist anymore) to one up moto since moto killed the pre with the original droid.

What happens if HP are equally crazy and whack out the Topaz for $800?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Then they are doomed.

Motorola thinks they can get away with this because they have created Droid zombies. The most HP has done, so far, is get a few nerds to circle Wednesday on their calendar.
    Moto + Tied to Verizon too much = Hi priced pad where wi-fi can only be used if you activate on Verizon.

As long as HP releases a wi-fi only device and allows people to buy buckets of data instead of a data plan on the carrier devices, they'll be ok.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I wonder if VZ is the bad guy here. They now have both iPad and iPhone, so they begin to stab moto, the guy who helped them in the Droid era, in the back?

Big RED is very evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I wonder if VZ is the bad guy here. They now have both iPad and iPhone, so they begin to stab moto, the guy who helped them in the Droid era, in the back?

Big RED is very evil.
    Would you honestly, even for a second, doubt that VZW would do something like that?

I'm convinced that VZW is one of the most evil companies in the United States. Why? Because they go out of their way to do things for so little extra marginal profit regardless of what it will mean for the satisfaction of the end user; for instance, the whole GPS fiasco probably made them very little money (how many webOS users do you think actually pay for VZ Navigator?) and yet they still went ahead and made said crippling software modification to each new webOS update that became available. What a pain in the ***.
    Well when a company can maintain number one status while being evil, why should they ever stop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Well when a company can maintain number one status while being evil, why should they ever stop?
    Never said it wasn't a sad world.
    Motorola has made this thing DOA if you ask me. The lock-down on the wifi and the 800$ price tag is just stupid. Same thing with there laptop dock for the attrix phone, asking to charge 500$ for a dumb terminal.

I paid 740$ for a i7 Quad 1.7ghz, 12cell, 640gb, 4gb ddr3, 320m nvidia, nvidia glasses kit, led 15.4in 120hz 3d screen, led back-lit keyboard, & bluray writer laptop. If they think im going to spend 800$ for a tablet they are out of there minds.
    It's funny that people were calling HP crazy for an $800 slate that they released (which is still not released right?) and then now this Xoom is going for $800. It's definitely not worth it for sure. They'll probably try to suck the money out of consumers and then finally lower the prices.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Motorola has made this thing DOA if you ask me. The lock-down on the wifi and the 800$ price tag is just stupid. Same thing with there laptop dock for the attrix phone, asking to charge 500$ for a dumb terminal.

I paid 740$ for a i7 Quad 1.7ghz, 12cell, 640gb, 4gb ddr3, 320m nvidia, nvidia glasses kit, led 15.4in 120hz 3d screen, led back-lit keyboard, & bluray writer laptop. If they think im going to spend 800$ for a tablet they are out of there minds.

Where was said laptop purchased?
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Where was said laptop purchased?
    Microsoft Store Slickdeals :-p, got it in november. 3DV1 by Toshiba.
    Last edited by Klownicle; 02/07/2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Then they are doomed.

Motorola thinks they can get away with this because they have created Droid zombies. The most HP has done, so far, is get a few nerds to circle Wednesday on their calendar.
    I could see them pricing their product at the same price point or less than the iPad. They have previous experience competing with apple (see envy) and have provided a similar product for a more reasonable price.

Verizon and AT&T think they can get away with these ridicules prices but I highly doubt many people will jump for it considering the iPad and other android tabs will be much more compelling at $500. Once again we will see androids advantage as even if the xoom is a fail, there will be five others to take it's place.
    Recession is over happy times are here wheee!...i will have 2 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    They won't. On paper, the Xoom has the hardware to possibly allow itself to cost that much (although everyone disagrees). As we've seen from these leaked documents from HP, they want to be able to compete with the iPad.

iPad competition = Competitive pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    They won't. On paper, the Xoom has the hardware to possibly allow itself to cost that much (although everyone disagrees). As we've seen from these leaked documents from HP, they want to be able to compete with the iPad.

iPad competition = Competitive pricing.
    What hardware? Tegra 2? The same Tegra 2 in the $380 Gtablet or the $400 Notion Ink? Putting 1gb of ram instead of 512 doesn't add much price. They have a slightly better screen, but still, not that much. They could charge maybe $200 more than the other tegra tablets and still be raping customers with their absurd margin.

The thing that probably ****es me off the most is that they think their tablet should cost as much as laptops with FAR better specs, all while using an OS that they got for free...

I have the money to purchase one and was planning on it before the price was announced, but now will not give it a second thought. If the Nook color had a FFC, I would have already purchased one. Come on HP or MWC!
    should b 500 or less if comparable to ipad. Up to double that for full steam games support, with ability to run all steam games smoothly w/o crashes
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast