1.    #1  
    I remember the days when the corporate IT department ruled. They were impervious to end user suggestions, complaints or advice. The firm supported X and if you didn't like it - screw you.

I think times are changing. Smartphones almost all have decent security. Almost all can work with Exchange push. Companies aren't buying the phones as much as supporting them. All phones are becoming available on all carriers.

This situation is creating a world where winning the consumer is as important as winning the corporation.

In the battle for developer mindshare, what is the path to victory?

1. Win the consumer - Apple's strategy, Sony's previous strategy
    2. Win the corporation - RIM, HP, Dell and Palm's existing strategy
    3. Try to win both simultaneously instead of using one to win the other

Why?
    Why what?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    What is the path to victory?

YOUR ANSWER HERE = 1, 2 or 3

Why?

The real market for the developer is the direct consumer. In terms of volume of app sales. Corporate smartphones are generally locked down or have restrictions on what apps are installed by the user.
    Ahh, catchy and misleading thread title. It should read more like: IT Departments loosening grip on personal technology?

It appears you have no clue as to what an IT department's purpose is. Unless your business is a small business, like a real estate office, small clothing chain etc., mobile devices are but a small piece of the puzzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I remember the days when the corporate IT department ruled. They were impervious to end user suggestions, complaints or advice. The firm supported X and if you didn't like it - screw you.
    Corporate IT departments exist to serve the corporate end-users, not as a governance body. In the early days of IT departments, people tended to forget this.

Now most corporations have implemented IT oversight and governance over the IT departments.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Corporate IT departments exist to serve the corporate end-users, not as a governance body. In the early days of IT departments, people tended to forget this.

Now most corporations have implemented IT oversight and governance over the IT departments.
    Serving the end user has different meanings depending on what side of the fence you are on. When introducing new devices/software in the environment, how does the governance/over-site committee determine if a device is safe, new software/patches won't break other software, what the security risk is to new devices/software introduced into the environment, the cost per user etc? Do they test new devices?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/06/2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Google's Eric Schmidt predicts the future of computing - and he plans to be involved - Telegraph

Schmidt thinks back to his first jobs in computers, when it was about servicing the needs of companies.
    “When I grew up it was basically about enterprises – IT. Today computer science is really about consumers and information. The rise of Google, the rise of Facebook, the rise of Apple, I think are proof that there is a place for computer science as something that solves problems that people face every day.
    “There was only one company that saw that a decade before anybody else and that company is Apple. If you look even through the Nineties – Sun, Microsoft, Novell, Cisco – they were fundamentally infrastructure companies based around corporations. That is where the money was. There was almost no consumer use with the exception of Apple in people’s daily lives. The big shift was over 10-15 years and it came with the development of the web.
    “The easiest way to think about it is to imagine a non-technical person – a child, say. What is the first thing they would have done with technology? They would have used email. I noticed with my non-technical friends – their first foray into my world was the connection of the email system which occurred in 1991-1992. And then when the internet happened, the internet mail protocols became standardised, everyone else converted and you got this explosion.”
    OK. Can we have a summary of what you think this means in relation to the OP's thread title, and or his actual talking points, which are not one in the same?

TIA
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/06/2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post

I think times are changing. Smartphones almost all have decent security. Almost all can work with Exchange push. Companies aren't buying the phones as much as supporting them. All phones are becoming available on all carriers.

This situation is creating a world where winning the consumer is as important as winning the corporation.

In the battle for developer mindshare, what is the path to victory?

1. Win the consumer - Apple's strategy, Sony's previous strategy
    2. Win the corporation - RIM, HP, Dell and Palm's existing strategy
    3. Try to win both simultaneously instead of using one to win the other

Why?
    In the IT world anything having Decent Security is equal to having none.
    Corporations hire IT dept to keep their computers running properly, networks secure etc.. And most of all to keep their information safe.
    For instance no corp IT dept in their right mind, would recommend a switch to google apps if for no other reason than security.. But users would say.. Bu..but .. I heard it's "Mostly secure"..

Point is.. With more and more products "claiming" security, It dept are in bigger demand than they where 5, even 10 years ago.

IT Dept does not equal , uncle joe said I should use nortons

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Exactly Sketch. Nowadays good IT departments are more about corporate security than that are about corporate connectivity. It's a heck of a lot easier to design, build, deploy and support a network than it is to keep that network simultaneously secure and useful.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Exactly Sketch. Nowadays good IT departments are more about corporate security than that are about corporate connectivity. It's a heck of a lot easier to design, build, deploy and support a network than it is to keep that network simultaneously secure and useful.
    As I've said for the past 15 years, my IT job is 1% knowing how to do something, and 99% knowing *why* I should/shouldn't do it. I probably spend 75% of my time these days keeping users safe from their own stupidity, and the other 25% enforcing policies put into place due to the convoluted mess of federal laws and e-discovery requirements that most users aren't even aware of.....