Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon breaks first day sales record with iPhone 4 pre-orders -- in only two hours

That pretty much says it all.

First, Verizon tells their employee and their families not to pre-order due to overwhelming demand. In this case, I'm pretty sure overwhelming demand is more than 5,000 units.

Then, there was a new survey suggesting that over 50% of owners of competing phones said they wanted to switch to an iPhone.

Next, Verizon pre-orders sold out on the first day.

Finally, Verizon announces they broke all sales records for any launch phone... in two hours: between 3am, and 5am.

Love em or hate em, nobody brings the rain like Apple. Nobody!
    No one else needs to. Android is winning through ubiquity and attrition. Everyone will survive ( or not) in their own fashion. God Bless Apple for being a successful American consumer electronics company, but I'm most thankful to them for helping the competition get better.

Much better, in fact, for me.
    Those links are dead .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Is anybody really surprised?
  5.    #5  
    I just clicked them all. They seem lively to me.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Nope. What Apple does best is not the products, it's their constant bombardment of marketing. Yes, the products are good, but it's the marketing that gets everyone. They are the cool, status-symbol product that everyone wants, no matter what.

This is why I don't think any other smartphone will really get traction with the masses. Well, not without an equal to or greater marketing campaign. If HP wants to take on Apple, they will have to buy their way in.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I am. The iPhone 4 is not exactly a new phone. It is 7 or 8 months old. Supposedly better phones have been released since then to much fanfare. There are more gates: antenna, glass, surrounding it than the White House. Consumer Reports refuses to recommend it. This is the iPhone where Apple dropped the ball. And these numbers are limited to the Android stronghold. Yes, I am a little surprised.
    Yeah, everyone is leaving at&t
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Yeah, everyone is leaving at&t
    Can't tell if you're serious. These orders are restricted to existing Verizon customers. These are people leaving Droids and Berries, not AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I am. The iPhone 4 is not exactly a new phone. It is 7 or 8 months old. Supposedly better phones have been released since then to much fanfare. There are more gates: antenna, glass, surrounding it than the White House. Consumer Reports refuses to recommend it. This is the iPhone where Apple dropped the ball. And these numbers are limited to the Android stronghold. Yes, I am a little surprised.
    Why? As I said elsewhere on the boards today:

...Not only is iPhone coming to Verizon after a pretty long wait and buildup of hype, but it's also coming at a lull where there are no new Blackberry phone offerings and the only new Verizon Android devices are the HTC Thunderbolt (a LTE Evo) and some LTE offerings from Samsung and LG that haven't been promoted the least bit yet. Meanwhile, Apple and Verizon are running ads for this left and right during the most watched TV programming in the country.

That is to say, iPhone should be cleaning up in those circumstances. The iPhone doesn't nullify other smartphone competitors just by virtue of being on any carrier, even AT&T. The more carriers it goes to, the less it becomes the be-all, end-all on the carriers it was previously on.
    I could see a hefty chunk of Verizon users wanting to switch-- just to name a few:
    Droid users who want a more intuitive interface,
    flip phoners who want to upgrade to their first smartphone,
    Blackberry users who are consumers or solo practitioners and so aren't getting the full benefit of the Blackberry enterprise features.
    I expect a lot more switching inside Verizon.

This does not include the AT&T users in New York and San Francisco who are having dropped calls. Come Feb 10th, I expect many of them to switch to Verizon.
    I would have left a long time ago due to the dropped call issues they have

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #13  
    Mikah, none of that changes the fact that there has never been a phone on Verizon with an opening sales day as big as the first two hours of the iPhone. This is so much bigger. Couple this with much of the press waring that a new gen model is just around the corner.
    Mikah, none of that changes the fact that there has never been a phone on Verizon with an opening sales day as big as the first two hours of the iPhone. This is so much bigger.
    If you say so. If it took longer to sell out, I would be disappointed. There is no single device on the market with this brand cachet, and thus no other phone on Verizon should have opening day sales anywhere near this.
    Since the iphone4 is no better than any other recent phones on the market goes to show its all about the great marketing Apple has done, point blank.
    There is pent up demand, it will break records for a while.

The real unknowns:
    who will stay on their current devices and why?
    who will pick devices other than Iphone and why?
    who will switch from iphone in a year or two, what will they switch to and why?
    what will be the winning combo of hardware/software that can compete?

FYI: front page precentral says Pre2 will launch on Verizon for $100
    Can't tell if you're serious. With all that pent up demand? It was pretty obvious the iphone 4 would set a Verizon record. They may set another one in the summer with the iphone 5 for those who are waiting.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Since the iphone4 is no better than any other recent phones on the market goes to show its all about the great marketing Apple has done, point blank.
    Really? Is the marketing THAT much better? No mention of prices or specs. Can't any other company use the same firms as Apple? Is Apple that much better at advertising? I don't think so.

This is not about Apple selling out in a day. This is about the iPhone 4 beating every Verizon launch phone in the history of the company in the first two hours. They were not even good hours. They were the wee hours of the morning. What do you think will happen when it actually goes on sale during regular business hours to the general public?
    Really? Is the marketing THAT much better? No mention of prices or specs. Can't any other company use the same firms as Apple? Is Apple that much better at advertising? I don't think so.

This is not about Apple selling out in a day. This is about the iPhone 4 beating every Verizon launch phone in the history of the company in the first two hours. They were not even good hours. They were the wee hours of the morning. What do you think will happen when it actually goes on sale during regular business hours to the general public?
    What should happen: It should set a sales record. Again, this is rote and expected. If it doesn't do these things, something is terribly wrong.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I wonder how much of these sales are for sub-teenagers. At least in my area, that's where most of the iPad sales went to because they'll "just die" if they don't get it immediately.

I personally know an employee in the local Apple store (which has the highest ranking sales in the entire region). When the iPad came out, parents were lining up to buy them for each of their kids starting at the age of 4! The iPhone was similar, but the age point was about 8+. Needless to say, they have significant "repeat" sales because the iPad and iPhone aren't built to take the punishment that this age group provides.

Even the employee is aghast at the volume going to this age group.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast