Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 102
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's not even Engadget's headline, really. Verizon said it themselves:
    the link in the o.p. is to engadget Verizon breaks first day sales record with iPhone 4 pre-orders -- in only two hours -- Engadget

    verizon's headline is in there press release.


    It makes no difference. You can't prove they are lying. it's pure speculation cause you don't like apple. But i think because of that you can't judge a pure business situation rationally. It's a Verizon statement but because it's related to something you don't like it's all part of a conspiracy. It wasn't a conspiracy when Palm Pre's had waiting lists at launch and broke sales records. I can look at it like a rational actor. they have people they have to answer to like the SEC should they commit fraud by way of a press release because they can reasonably assume people will trade on such information. Especially given that it is sales information. And the SEC can audit them should they want to. Given the penalty for committing such fraud against the benefit of lying about sales that, according to the other guy, they don't have, you can reasonably assume that they are not lying.

    But i'd love for someone that has proof that this is a fabrication to present it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    I just don't get into someone "blowing their own horn", if you choose to that's your business.
    That's how business works. When you have something positive or negative to say you issue a press release. And If HP doesn't have tons of press releases, should their next handset or tablet sell like hotcakes they are foolish. But it's common. here is Verizon's press release page. http://news.vzw.com/news/index.html you'll see they release them for darn near everything. expanding their 3G, to launching of routers. They even have press releases in foreign languages. Didn't hear anyone complaining about these. People are just mad cause it's apple. that's it.

    sprint does it too http://newsroom.sprint.com/news

    Sprint Sets Sales Record With Weekend Debut of Palm Pre
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=1139

    HTC EVO(TM) 4G Breaks Sales Records for Sprint on Launch Day; America's First 4G Phone is a Hit with Customers - Updated
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...rticle_id=1539

    press releases about sales aren't new or out of the ordinary. And both sprint press release above were true as well.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/05/2011 at 12:11 AM.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I can't believe the amount of people on this thread saying that these numbers aren't impressive. You're kidding yourself if you wouldn't be excited for this to happen with the next webOS phone.
    You don't understand. The numbers are not impressive because they are about Apple. In fact, they are probably unimpressive. The iPhone should have broken the sales record in the first two-seconds. The record should have beaten every other phone's yearly sales combined, not just first day.

    Nevermind the iPhone sold more in two hours before the sun came up than any other phone has done all day. That's meaningless. It is unfair to compare any Apple numbers, no matter how crippled the circumstances, to any other device numbers. For instance, the fact that the iPhone 4 is a seven month old phone means nothing. For the sake of a fair comparison, it should have been the three year old iPhone vs. the new hotness than hasn't yet been released.

    If the new hPhone sells 100,000 to carriers, not even consumers, in the first month, it will be declared an unqualified success, and prove that Apple isn't all that.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You don't understand. The numbers are not impressive because they are about Apple. In fact, they are probably unimpressive. The iPhone should have broken the sales record in the first two-seconds. The record should have beaten every other phone's yearly sales combined, not just first day.

    Nevermind the iPhone sold more in two hours before the sun came up than any other phone has done all day. That's meaningless. It is unfair to compare any Apple numbers, no matter how crippled the circumstances, to any other device numbers. For instance, the fact that the iPhone 4 is a seven month old phone means nothing. For the sake of a fair comparison, it should have been the three year old iPhone vs. the new hotness than hasn't yet been released.

    If the new hPhone sells 100,000 to carriers, not even consumers, in the first month, it will be declared an unqualified success, and prove that Apple isn't all that.
    An iphone is the only phone that represents Apple and iOS and its apps. It HAS to sell well.

    A Droid? There's a zillion other android handsets. To be fair, you have to combine all sales of androids on Verizon. No one android device can hope to have iphone like sales.

    No other company (platform) has just one handset so I don't see any one handset coming close. It's something I wish HP would realize. We don't need budget phones, teen phones, etc yet and certainly not before a premium handset. We need one premium handset right now so the apps, OS, marketing (especially branding), and ecosystem can evolve at a faster pace. Let's get webOS on 4.0 first and established before dropping in the "teen" phone.

    Why two tablets? In another thread, close to 80% want a 9" tablet vs the 7". How about focusing on one first? HP hurts itself off the bat diluting its offerings. Hard to market (and sufficiently support) 20 different products or brands at once. It complicates evolving the OS & platform because now you got 20 devices to consider. It complicates measuring success for each device. HP says they're going to release a webOS device every two months? That's nuts.
  4. #84  
    yeah to me these numebers are astounding just because Android makes up so much of sales for Verizon right now. They also have these htc phones, and moto phones coming soon, I would have thought maybe they would sell a good amount of iphones, but nothing to this degree. To me as stated before If given a option of new devices (not like last year 2010 when you only had new devices from android everywhere, iphone only end of 3Q on 1 carrier, and WP7 on 2 carriers in the 4th) people would not flock to android as much as people think. Again I still stand by my word and see a huge market share shift by the end of this year with apple taken back a huge chunk with these sales on VZ, and the new iphone 5, with WP7 on VZ, and Sprint, and if HP delivers with webos. Options to customers besides android people.
  5. #85  
    Here's one guesstimate about the number of iPhones sold Thursday morning: Analyst: Verizon Sold 100,000 iPhones in First 17 Hours
  6. #86  
    they re saying here its more in the range of 1 million to 2 million iphones preordered, and on pace to beat AT&T's preorder and overall sales of last year of the same model:

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rs_retail.html
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I can't believe the amount of people on this thread saying that these numbers aren't impressive. You're kidding yourself if you wouldn't be excited for this to happen with the next webOS phone.
    I think the point is there are no numbers, its just hyperbole.

    Also what happened as far as breaking some sort of unnamed sales record is exactly what was expected to happen. Nobody should be surprised and as such I really dont think it is really newsworthy.
  8. #88  
    To me if they sold preordered closed to that 2 million mark, it is big news because it will really show to HP where to try and push their first wave of products. Also if VZ can sell a year old iphone model to that many people, and knowing that a new iphone 5 maybe 4G compatiable is coming, then thats a scary thought to the competition.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    To me if they sold preordered closed to that 2 million mark, it is big news because it will really show to HP where to try and push their first wave of products. Also if VZ can sell a year old iphone model to that many people, and knowing that a new iphone 5 maybe 4G compatiable is coming, then thats a scary thought to the competition.
    Maybe that's why you go focus on Sprint or something if your HP. Go be a superstar there (something Palm couldn't do with the Pre..they couldn't even compete with the HTC Hero) and try to leverage things from there with other carriers later.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Maybe that's why you go focus on Sprint or something if your HP. Go be a superstar there (something Palm couldn't do with the Pre) and try to leverage things from there with other carriers later.
    yup to me they could focus on sprint, Tmobile, and maybe even AT&T since they are now out of the loop for now. Heres hoping for a multi carrier launch for these new products, and by end of the month early march.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yup to me they could focus on sprint, Tmobile, and maybe even AT&T since they are now out of the loop for now. Heres hoping for a multi carrier launch for these new products, and by end of the month early march.
    T-Mobile would be a good choice. They have a pretty nice network with great speeds. The best I've been able to get was 6mbps down. More recent phones support 21mbps download speed. Right now, they are working on getting 41mbps up and running...

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    T-Mobile would be a good choice. They have a pretty nice network with great speeds. The best I've been able to get was 6mbps down. More recent phones support 21mbps download speed. Right now, they are working on getting 41mbps up and running...

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    yup that and they havent had a webos device yet, i think they would sell really well just because of that fact alone.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yup that and they havent had a webos device yet, i think they would sell really well just because of that fact alone.
    That and T-Mobile isn't flooded with Android phones (yet... Come on HTC "Pyramid"! )...

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  14. #94  
    I keep seeing this thread title when I click on new posts, and I start thinking Verwon has started selling iPhones, and she broke a record or something.....
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Verizon breaks first day sales record with iPhone 4 pre-orders -- in only two hours


    That pretty much says it all.

    First, Verizon tells their employee and their families not to pre-order due to overwhelming demand. In this case, I'm pretty sure overwhelming demand is more than 5,000 units.

    Then, there was a new survey suggesting that over 50% of owners of competing phones said they wanted to switch to an iPhone.

    Next, Verizon pre-orders sold out on the first day.

    Finally, Verizon announces they broke all sales records for any launch phone... in two hours: between 3am, and 5am.

    Love em or hate em, nobody brings the rain like Apple. Nobody!
    So much for the 'lack of interest of the iPhone 4' as described by android fans. Lol! The old iPhone 4 which as been around for quite some time now outsells even the newest android phones.. now thats funny!
  16. #96  
  17. #97  
    ...we can pretty much wrap up this thread with this here.

    Verizon iPhone hits the streets, fails to gather crowds (video) -- Engadget


    Not quite crickets...but close enough. The video is beyond hilarious at the *massive* setup for inbound buyers only to have...two.
  18. #98  
    It looks the majority of the "2 hour" buyers were just trying to flip them on ebay/craigslist whatever to make a quick buck.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    ...we can pretty much wrap up this thread with this here.

    Verizon iPhone hits the streets, fails to gather crowds (video) -- Engadget


    Not quite crickets...but close enough. The video is beyond hilarious at the *massive* setup for inbound buyers only to have...two.
    Did you forget about the people who ordered from home and didn't choose to face snow, ice, freezing temperatures, etc? I don't think Apple will have trouble selling the million or so units they allocated for this. Do you?
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Did you forget about the people who ordered from home and didn't choose to face snow, ice, freezing temperatures, etc? I don't think Apple will have trouble selling the million or so units they allocated for this. Do you?
    Looks like your theory didn't quite pan out. Hard numbers state that sales did not meet either Apple or Verizon's expectations. Subtract from that the eBay speculation market numbers, and you get really lackluster sales given the hype. Obviously, they sold a lot of phones in pure numbers, but in the business world that is irrelevant. A couple years ago, this company called GM sold a lot of cars, too.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions