Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's really hard to pin this down. Here are some figures for previous Verizon phone sales:

Moto Droid (Nov 2009): 100,000 in the first weekend (Link)
    Moto Droid X (Jul 2010): 300,000 in the first week (Link)
    BB Storm (Nov 2008): 500,000 in the first month (Link)

Not a particularly parallel comparison, but that's how the figures were released. None of those three examples, which I believe are Verizon's 3 largest releases to date, come close to an AT&T iPhone release (First weekend: 267,000 in 2007, 1.7 million 2010). It would be nice to hear the real numbers - maybe Apple will provide those soon.
    This is kind of like when Microsoft announced that they have sold 2 Million licenses for WP7 a week or so ago. Its really meaningless and these companies spin the data however they need to to make it look as if they accomplished something for the sake of shareholders.

Basically Verizon sold whatever number they had alloted for preorder in 2 hours. And regardless of what the numbers turn out to be it really isnt exceptionally newsworthy if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Really? Is the marketing THAT much better? No mention of prices or specs. Can't any other company use the same firms as Apple? Is Apple that much better at advertising? I don't think so.
    And you'd be wrong.
    AppleInsider | Media coverage of Apple found to be overwhelmingly positive

Apple is the media's darling. They get free marketing on a scale that no other tech company enjoys. If you look at specs, Apple is generally behind the curve. But they sell well because they are the 1984 propaganda machine they once tried to take down.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/04/2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: removed personal comments
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    This is kind of like when Microsoft announced that they have sold 2 Million licenses for WP7 a week or so ago. Its really meaningless and these companies spin the data however they need to to make it look as if they accomplished something for the sake of shareholders.

Basically Verizon sold whatever number they had alloted for preorder in 2 hours. And regardless of what the numbers turn out to be it really isnt exceptionally newsworthy if you ask me.
    Nobody said Verizon sold out within 2 hours. My wife ordered one around 1pm EST. They said they set record for first 2 hours. However, they closed the preOrder sometime that afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    They sold out in 2 hours They conveniently leave out any sales numbers That tells me they "sold out" the stock they had on hand, nothing more! So far that indicates to me the only "genius" here is marketing double-talk.
    Palm never ever gave sales numbers. So then i guess all they did was marketing double talk too.

And they didn't sell out "stock on hand." They sold out what they set aside for pre orders. It doesn't mean they sold out of stock on hand for their launch.

With no SALES NUMBERS how can this be anything but hype.

How many sold,how many available ???

Who cares ????
    I do. it's a good story. plus i'm an apple shareholder.

Without NUMBERS this whole thread is pointless.
    Palm never gave us numbers on those either.

The real problem is clearly all these Verizon customers didn't read the totally meaningful LaptopMag poll OS Bowl Final: webOS vs. Windows Phone 7. Voting ends Tuesday, 2/8 at 9 a.m. Or they'd totally have be rockin Pre Plusses. lol.

This is kind of like when Microsoft announced that they have sold 2 Million licenses for WP7 a week or so ago.
    no. that was sales from a manufacturer to a carrier. This is carrier to customer. It's a full sell through. The latter is an indication of high demand among current customers. The Microsoft situation, the former, is merely an indication of high level of orders by carriers that may or may not develop into a sale to a customer. And if it doesn't it's a sign that the carrier will likely order less next quarter.

It's newsworthy because it's an indication, and only that, that their should be healthy early customer demand for verizon iphones.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/04/2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Palm never ever gave sales numbers. So then i guess all they did was marketing double talk too.

And they didn't sell out "stock on hand." They sold out what they set aside for pre orders. It doesn't mean they sold out of stock on hand for their launch.

I do. it's a good story. plus i'm an apple shareholder.

Palm never gave us numbers on those either.

The real problem is clearly all these Verizon customers didn't read the totally meaningful LaptopMag poll OS Bowl Final: webOS vs. Windows Phone 7. Voting ends Tuesday, 2/8 at 9 a.m. Or they'd totally have be rockin Pre Plusses. lol.

"Verizon breaks first day sales record... in two hours of iPhone orders."

That's an impressive title for a thead. It can't be backed up, it can't be dis-proven. Pretty clever marketing "hype" I think. I call shenanigans. The amount of units sold doesn't impress me much.

I guess it's the old saying "if everybody jumped off a cliff, that means you would too" kind of applies here. I choose to not subsidize the walled garden.
    Or maybe it's just a good product that people have been waiting for.

If a preorder that took place between 3am and 5am bothers you this much, you should probably go dark next Thursday...
    "Verizon breaks first day sales record... in two hours of iPhone orders."

That's an impressive title for a thead. It can't be backed up, it can't be dis-proven. Pretty clever marketing "hype" I think. I call shenanigans. The amount of units sold doesn't impress me much.

I guess it's the old saying "if everybody jumped off a cliff, that means you would too" kind of applies here. I choose to not subsidize the walled garden.
    That is Engadget's title not Verizon's. If you don't like the title start a thread about misleading journalism. You didn't though. you got mad at apple. Besides this if a Verizon claim. If your claim is Verizon is fabricating sale figures you're just foolish. They have no reason to. If it wasn't selling, they'd have to answer to their board and investors as to why they halted sales early. That's real business. Not fantasy conspiracies and saying everything is "marketing." you have some anti apple crusade so your opinions are not unbiased. So i can't take them seriously.
    It's not even Engadget's headline, really. Verizon said it themselves:

“This was an exciting day,” said Dan Mead, president and chief executive officer for Verizon Wireless. “In just our first two hours, we had already sold more phones than any first day launch in our history. And, when you consider these initial orders were placed between the hours of 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., it is an incredible success story. It is gratifying to know that our customers responded so enthusiastically to this exclusive offer – designed to reward them for their loyalty."
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    That is Engadget's title not Verizon's. If you don't like the title start a thread about misleading journalism. You didn't though. you got mad at apple. Besides this if a Verizon claim. If your claim is Verizon is fabricating sale figures you're just foolish. They have no reason to. If it wasn't selling, they'd have to answer to their board and investors as to why they halted sales early. That's real business. Not fantasy conspiracies and saying everything is "marketing." you have some anti apple crusade so your opinions are not unbiased. So i can't take them seriously.
    I just think the thread title is laughable, whether Verizon's,Apples or the OP's. I just don't get into someone "blowing their own horn", if you choose to that's your business. As far as selling phones I have no doubt Verizon/Apple will do just fine. I don't take the people with an irrational exuberance for Apple that throw ad hominem attacks at someone who doesn't agree with them seriously either.

10.    #70  
    AppleInsider | Apple prepared 2 million Verizon iPhone 4 for preorders, retail

If this report is true, they are going to run out in the first 10 minutes on Thursday. It looks like the AT&T launch of the iPhone when it was new will be beaten by the Verizon launch seven months later.
  11.    #71  
    I just think the thread title is laughable, whether Verizon's,Apples or the OP's. I just don't get into someone "blowing their own horn", if you choose to that's your business.
    When companies announce good sales figures, you think of that as them blowing their own horn? Big business works a little differently from playground rules in kindergarten.

As far as selling phones I have no doubt Verizon/Apple will do just fine. I don't take the people with an irrational exuberance for Apple that throw ad hominem attacks at someone who doesn't agree with them seriously either.
    Irrational exuberance? What is irrational about being exuberant about Apple at this stage? Now, there are a lot of people exuberant about the next round of wOS products. Are they also being irrational? Where are these ad hominem attacks you are referring to? I will ask the mods to clean them up.
  12.    #72  
    In case you haven't laughed today, try this.

I'm assuming he's just not used to seeing a company sell out of their allotment of cell phone preorders in 2 hours.
    I hope everyone sold their AT&T stock a few weeks ago...

btw, if you doubt that Apple gets special treatment by the public and the press, head over to wikipedia and compare the amount of negative info about apple (pretty much none) with articles on android or webOS.

if you REALLY want a laugh, add something factual and properly referenced that is negative, and then see how long before it is removed or challenged.
  15.    #75  
    Unfair treatment works both directions. Antenna gate could only exist for an Apple product. It had the same flaw every other phone had. People didn't know about it because it didn't matter, until people needed some mud to sling in Apple's direction.

The App Store policies are another example. For a while people were freaking out about how Apple had the ability to remove an app, not just from the store, but from your phone. They never have. Google has actually done that at least twice. Not even a whisper of concern. The media blade definitely cuts both ways.
    *sigh*
    *sigh*
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    *sigh*

resistance is futile....assimilate......resistance is futile
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Since the iphone4 is no better than any other recent phones on the market goes to show its all about the great marketing Apple has done, point blank.
    Really? Then why are you on a webOS forum? Android phones have much higher specs and more crazy features than any Palm phone. Could it be that there's more to making a good phone than maxing out the specs? Is it too crazy to think that Apple is really good at designing both hardware and software, and that's why people love them so much? Apple's successful for two reasons. Yes, they are very good at marketing. They also make fun and easy to use products, and that is something that no one Android phone has been able to touch. I'm hopeful that HP and webOS will be able to compete on the same level as Apple, and with this Apotheker guy, it looks like it might finally happen!
    Last edited by nns; 02/04/2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Spelling fix.
    I can't believe the amount of people on this thread saying that these numbers aren't impressive. You're kidding yourself if you wouldn't be excited for this to happen with the next webOS phone.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast