Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Again, the Pre 2 is not the only product being released this year.

Any company that has a product already developed, and probably built, is gonna try to sell ANY units in order to hopefully make money from it, if not to at least get a return of costs.
    This is just an example of why Apple's marketing is so superior.

Just releasing another Pre hurts HP's image much more than than any silly attempt to recoup costs on it.

EDIT: At this point in time, it hurts. I'm not saying there's no place for it. It's probably viable. But HP needs to focus on flagship products first, not budget phone releases. Budget phones are best released when you've already got a premium product out. Otherwise, the Pre 2 represents everything that is webOS and HP. Hopefully HP has something else in mind.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/04/2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It sounds like you are not very familiar with Apple sales numbers. They are not trumped up smokescreens. I remember a report suggesting that Apple was stockpiling 4M of these ViP4s for the launch. That would be unprecedented sales, even for Apple. I also suspect that the pre-order limit was anywhere from a half a million to a million units.

At any rate, Apple almost always announces the real numbers within a few days of a launch. If the pre-order allotment has already sold out, you can be confident it is a ridiculously high number.
    I remember the Australia iphone4 launch fiasco. I don't care if they sell 500 bazillion phones, I'm an ABA guy,anything but apple and their walled garden.

Following your logic we should all be muslims, drive Corollas, and carry Nokias.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    I remember the Australia iphone4 launch fiasco. I don't care if they sell 500 bazillion phones, I'm an ABA guy,anything but apple and their walled garden.

Following your logic we should all be muslims, drive Corollas, and carry Nokias.
    I don't give a rip what your biases are. I said no such thing. So take your anti-Apple bias and off topic rants to a more appropriate thread!
    i am calling bs on the press article that Vzn sold out in 2 hours. this was just a PRPRPR $stunt$

my son went on the Vzn pre order page he was sent. the form came up 10 minutes before they were suppose to go on sale. my son tried to log in and the system was already down.

that is right 10 minutes before the phone "went on sale" the system was down. my son tried for a few hours. how did they sell out in 2 hours when the system was down?

just a PRPRPR $stunt$
    i am calling bs on the press article that Vzn sold out in 2 hours. this was just a PRPRPR $stunt$

my son went on the Vzn pre order page he was sent. the form came up 10 minutes before they were suppose to go on sale. my son tried to log in and the system was already down.

that is right 10 minutes before the phone "went on sale" the system was down. my son tried for a few hours. how did they sell out in 2 hours when the system was down?

just a PRPRPR $stunt$
    I don't give a rip what your biases are. I said no such thing. So take your anti-Apple bias and off topic rants to a more appropriate thread!
    If you can't laugh at yourself, you are taking yourself way too seriously. If you can't laugh at others, you are taking them way too seriously, also.

Chill out dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post

just a PRPRPR $stunt$
    No doubt its a bit of a stunt. But it will work. Apple knows the value of the media showing lines out the door on launch day.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post

just a PRPRPR $stunt$
    You misunderstood what was said. No one said it was sold out in 2hrs. Verizon said it only took 2hrs to break the sales record of all first day phone launches in Verizon's history.

As for the page being down 10 minutes early, that is how it always is for a major Apple product launch. Welcome to Apple. If you thought you could beat the rush by getting there early, you are not alone, not even close.
    I'm not going to dispute the fact that they probably sold a lot of phones...but where are the numbers? I've been skim reading all these announcements today about the record being broken but I can't say I've seen a number yet.

I mean I could say I ate a record number of Dunkin Donut muffins this morning. And I wouldn't be lying....I ate two today when I always only eat one. See how adding the number kinda of diminishes my "omgwtflolgtfo" record breaking breakfast?
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by big_bopper View Post
    I'm not going to dispute the fact that they probably sold a lot of phones...but where are the numbers? I've been skim reading all these announcements today about the record being broken but I can't say I've seen a number yet.

I mean I could say I ate a record number of Dunkin Donut muffins this morning. And I wouldn't be lying....I ate two today when I always only eat one. See how adding the number kinda of diminishes my "omgwtflolgtfo" record breaking breakfast?
    If the actual number is unimpressive to you, that means the actual number of other first day sales is even less so. This is not about the number, but about the fact that no other phone has ever done so well on the first day for Verizon. It only took two early morning hours to beat all other one day sales.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/04/2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: more info
    "Verizon breaks first day sales record... in two hours of iPhone orders."

With no SALES NUMBERS how can this be anything but hype.

How many sold,how many available ???

Who cares ????

Without NUMBERS this whole thread is pointless.
    If the actual number is unimpressive to you, that means the actual number of other first day sales is even less so. This is not about the number, but about the fact that no other phone has ever done so well on the first day for Verizon. It only took two early morning hours to beat all other one day sales.
    True....and all I'm asking for is that number. If for nothing else than to compare it to a known AT&T launch. You think they would make this big of deal about this mystery number if it were any other phone? The only people more excited about the iPhone coming to Verizon then the its subscribers is Verizon itself.

I'm no Apple hater, they have a place in the market like everyone else. But you can make anything seem like a big deal if you put the right on spin on it. Look at my record breaking breakfast...impressive till you find out it's only two muffins. When was the last time Verizon had such build up for a phone launch like this one? Like others have said, if it didn't break records...shame on them.
  13.    #53  
    When was the last time Verizon had such build up for a phone launch like this one? Like others have said, if it didn't break records...shame on them.
    Droid.

It doesn't matter if the iPhone only sold one more unit. It did it in two hours when most people are still asleep. That compares to what the next closest phone did all day.
    Who eats muffins at Dunkin donuts?
    Droid.

It doesn't matter if the iPhone only sold one more unit. It did it in two hours when most people are still asleep. That compares to what the next closest phone did all day.
    Droid was as highly anticipated as this? I don't think so. "Droid" is a product line that Verizon coined to try and bring a unified feeling the their Android offerings. There are both HTC and Motorola "Droid" phones. The idea was to get people talking about the idea of Android rather than just a single device. In addition, they were fighting an uphill battle trying to move into the a segment that had already been generally accepted by people as iPhone dominated.

I agree with your first post in that nobody brings the rain like Apple, but that is to be expected. Look at what that phone did on AT&T alone. Look at the market saturation that platform has from just one phone and one network. I have no doubt nor debate that people LOVE Apple products. My office is just off Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. I can look out my window and see the Apple Store, so I have witnessed first hand all their major launches over the last six years.

My point is that I, along with many others, expected this kind of launch on Verizon. To think anything else would have been silly. So I guess I'm just looking for a number so that I can get a better idea as to how well Verizon was prepared for this launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    Who eats muffins at Dunkin donuts?
    I do.

Today I actually had two of them....it was record breaking.
    This is a bit old but it shows how, how shall we put it, the "average, non-sophisticated user" (in otherwords almost everybody out there besides us) feels about Apple products:

Nearly 100% of Teens Want an iPod, Survey Says

Have to say a survey of our very large family gathering (around 40 people, all ages) at Xmas confirmed this with the Iphone. ALL of the women (i mean 100%, really, including my wife who really wanted an Iphone like all her sisters have and is not happy we need to stick with Sprint) and teens either already had or wanted an Iphone. Most of those that did not have an I-phone yet did not have a smartphone, at best they had feature-phones. Same with many of what I would call the "average consumer" men. There were some computer-savy adult guys that had a disdain towards the Iphone, most of them had Androids.

A lot of the women had switched the whole family to ATT to get the Iphone and you could tell that the Verizon women would jump to Apple in a heartbeat as soon as they could.

Number one request of the phone-age kids that didnt already have one...I-Phone.

It don't have to be logical, it just is. Fouturnaly I bought a bunch of Apple stock at $60 and then more at $86 way back when (ok, ok, I also bought some Palm as well...)
    Droid was as highly anticipated as this? I don't think so. "Droid" is a product line that Verizon coined to try and bring a unified feeling the their Android offerings. There are both HTC and Motorola "Droid" phones. The idea was to get people talking about the idea of Android rather than just a single device. In addition, they were fighting an uphill battle trying to move into the a segment that had already been generally accepted by people as iPhone dominated.

I agree with your first post in that nobody brings the rain like Apple, but that is to be expected. Look at what that phone did on AT&T alone. Look at the market saturation that platform has from just one phone and one network. I have no doubt nor debate that people LOVE Apple products. My office is just off Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. I can look out my window and see the Apple Store, so I have witnessed first hand all their major launches over the last six years.

My point is that I, along with many others, expected this kind of launch on Verizon. To think anything else would have been silly. So I guess I'm just looking for a number so that I can get a better idea as to how well Verizon was prepared for this launch.
    Yeah they put out 10 in each store roflol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It's really hard to pin this down. Here are some figures for previous Verizon phone sales:

Moto Droid (Nov 2009): 100,000 in the first weekend (Link)
    Moto Droid X (Jul 2010): 300,000 in the first week (Link)
    BB Storm (Nov 2008): 500,000 in the first month (Link)

Not a particularly parallel comparison, but that's how the figures were released. None of those three examples, which I believe are Verizon's 3 largest releases to date, come close to an AT&T iPhone release (First weekend: 267,000 in 2007, 1.7 million 2010). It would be nice to hear the real numbers - maybe Apple will provide those soon.
    One thing we should consider is the CDMA iPhone 4 isn't actually out yet. Dan's talking about online preorders that started a week before the actual launch date.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast