Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What should happen: It should set a sales record. Again, this is rote and expected. If it doesn't do these things, something is terribly wrong.
    I think you are setting a different bar for Apple than for the rest of the industry. If Apple doesn't break sales records, they fail. If anyone else does a fifth as well, they blew it out. Either others are competitive with Apple, or they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think you are setting a different bar for Apple than for the rest of the industry. If Apple doesn't break sales records, they fail. If anyone else does a fifth as well, they blew it out. Either others are competitive with Apple, or they aren't.
    As I said before, it's a different bar because no one else has Apple's business model. No one.

OSes like Android will be (edit) competitive in smartphones and tablets, but no one device is. No one but Apple uses that model.
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/04/2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Is it a given that Verizon will immediately carry the iPhone 5 when it comes out? If so, why would folks tie themselves to the 4 for two years when the 5 is coming out in just a few short months?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As I said before, it's a different bar because no one else has Apple's business model. No one.

OSes like Android will be compatible in smartphones and tablets, but no one device is. No one but Apple uses that model.
    That is what I have been saying all along. That is why comparisons are ridiculous. It's everyone else who wants to claim they are competing with the iPhone/iPad.

By the way, how do you feel about HP reshaping themselves to compete with Apple using the same kind of business model? Do they have to hurdle the same bar, or is theirs quite a bit lower? Why?
    That is what I have been saying all along. That is why comparisons are ridiculous. It's everyone else who wants to claim they are competing with the iPhone/iPad.

By the way, how do you feel about HP reshaping themselves to compete with Apple using the same kind of business model? Do they have to hurdle the same bar, or is theirs quite a bit lower? Why?
    You're the one that makes the comparisons for the sake of bragging. Such as...oh, this thread. If you want to do so, then you should be expecting yawns in response to news of iPhone having spectacular sales somewhere. That is the appropriate response.

As for HP...it's not the same business model. HP doesn't make a desktop OS. They don't make media players. They don't have a content store (partnering with one is not the same). They don't have a set-top box. They don't have retail stores. They don't market the same.
  6.    #26  
    I'm pretty sure I am the one making the point that you can't compare all phones with Android to the singular iPhone, while others are trying to blur the lines. At any rate, we seem to be saying the same thing now.

That said, this is still interesting news, as it graphically shows there is no single phone that is directly comparable to the iPhone. The margin will widen in less than a week.
    Verizon will be launching the Pre 2 on 2/17 to keep all the customers returning the iP4.
    I see pandas.
    All this talk about "magical" marketing is such a red herring. Yes, Apple's marketing campaigns are clever, and well done-- but it's not anything a hundred other agencies couldn't churn out. But there are two differences:

1) Apple knows exactly who they are (and are not). They are not some lost soul looking for an identity. Compare this to Palm, the pim/ calendaring KING of the 90s. The innovative line of PDAs and phones that made being a working professional a pleasure....then in 2009 launching a phone that focused and promoted it's gaming abilities (still does, inexplicably) and initially totally ignored those key features that it's fans needed and were waiting for.

2) Apple does what they say they are going to do, in most cases. You say Apple's advertising is so seductively good? How about people just believe their advertising? Ads lie. We consumers know this, and take ads with a grain of salt. But Apple tends to actually deliver. they dont promise to be the cheapest, or most customizable, but they do promise a date (white iPhone notwithstanding - one of their few missed deadlines ever), they promise an experience, they promise a speed. Phone ads out there promote their latest Galaxy or Fascinate or Incredible as being the greatest phone available, but we as consumers KNOW BETTER. We have friends who have these products and while all good in their own way, these products are ALL guilty of over-promising and under-delivering. Apple's "great" marketing tends to avoid that.

As a business prof I had once said, asking the class, "how do you promote the image of a quality product among potential consumers?" -- and then after fielding wordy answers about marketing, and research, and ad campaigns -- he said , "you start by actually HAVING a good product."
    Last edited by finngirl; 02/04/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    I'm pretty sure I am the one making the point that you can't compare all phones with Android to the singular iPhone, while others are trying to blur the lines. At any rate, we seem to be saying the same thing now.

That said, this is still interesting news, as it graphically shows there is no single phone that is directly comparable to the iPhone. The margin will widen in less than a week.
    It shouldn't be. No other phone is from Apple with their brand cachet, ecosystem, and marketing. They make fairly singular products. You can compare the success of the Android operating system against the iOS operating system, and you can certainly compare your personal handset preferences. But that is it.

The only people who should care about which gets more millions of sales should be shareholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    All this talk about "magical" marketing is such a red herring. Yes, Apple's marketing campaigns are clever, and well done-- but it's not anything a hundred other agencies couldn't churn out. But there are two differences:

1) Apple knows exactly who they are (and are not). They are not some lost soul looking for an identity. Compare this to Palm, the pim/ calendaring KING of the 90s. The innovative line of PDAs and phones that made being a working professional a pleasure....then in 2009 launching a phone that focused and promoted it's gaming abilities (still does, inexplicably) and initially totally ignored those key features that it's fans needed and were waiting for.

2) Apple does what they say they are going to do, in most cases. You say Apple's advertising is so seductively good? How about people just believe their advertising? Ads lie. We consumers know this, and take ads with a grain of salt. But Apple tends to actually deliver. they dont promise to be the cheapest, or most customizable, but they do promise a date (white iPhone notwithstanding - one of their few missed deadlines ever), they promise an experience, they promise a speed. Phone ads out there promote their latest Galaxy or Fascinate or Incredible as being the greatest phone available, but we as consumers KNOW BETTER. We have friends who have these products and while all good in their own way, these products are ALL guilty of over-promising and under-delivering. Apple's "great" marketing tends to avoid that.

As a business prof I had once said, asking the class, "how do you promote the image of a quality product among potential consumers?" -- and then after fielding wordy answers about marketing, and research, and ad campaigns -- he said , "you start by actually HAVING a good product."
    Apple is just on a much different level when it comes to marketing than the other phone makers. Of course a good product is part of it but marketing is more than simple advertising as you probably know.

Being focused with few products and strong brands only helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I wonder how much of these sales are for sub-teenagers. At least in my area, that's where most of the iPad sales went to because they'll "just die" if they don't get it immediately.

I personally know an employee in the local Apple store (which has the highest ranking sales in the entire region). When the iPad came out, parents were lining up to buy them for each of their kids starting at the age of 4! The iPhone was similar, but the age point was about 8+. Needless to say, they have significant "repeat" sales because the iPad and iPhone aren't built to take the punishment that this age group provides.

Even the employee is aghast at the volume going to this age group.
    No, Iphone appears to all different age groups and evenly on both male and female. If you think iPad high sales because of the teenage, that is so misinformed. I actually think iOS attracts more to older people due to simplicity. My mom can't even turn the computer on, but she knows how to use my iphone to see the pictures and taking phone. My 3 years old baby knows how to use iPad, playing game and watching youtube.

Simple, elegant and it works. That's why it's selling so well. Not because of the ads.

We have to stop blaming our lack of success to some stupid ads. iPhone was simply better than Pre.
    Last edited by passlogix; 02/04/2011 at 10:49 AM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Verizon will be launching the Pre 2 on 2/17 to keep all the customers returning the iP4.
    IMO, this is the mother of all mistakes. HP is just about to unveil the "new" HP. Verizon will still have lines and waiting lists to manage. The Pre 2 launching this late, and as a budget phone, against the backdrop of daily iPhone 4 shipments, and possible iPad 2 shipments, I couldn't manufacture a worse time for the Pre 2 release on Verizon.

This is one of those times when HP should have someone at the helm who can just say no.
    They sold out in 2 hours They conveniently leave out any sales numbers That tells me they "sold out" the stock they had on hand, nothing more! So far that indicates to me the only "genius" here is marketing double-talk.
    It's like one step forward, two steps back with Palm and now HP. Hard to be excited for the Feb 9th announcement when you hear things like this.
    IMO, this is the mother of all mistakes. HP is just about to unveil the "new" HP. Verizon will still have lines and waiting lists to manage. The Pre 2 launching this late, and as a budget phone, against the backdrop of daily iPhone 4 shipments, and possible iPad 2 shipments, I couldn't manufacture a worse time for the Pre 2 release on Verizon.

This is one of those times when HP should have someone at the helm who can just say no.
    In all seriousness, though, I do not think HP envisions the Pre 2 to be a direct competitor to the iP4. Different form for different needs/desires.
    I see pandas.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is the Pre 2 still going to be launched on Verizon? I would think they'd flush that turkey and move straight on to the hot phones they have coming next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's like one step forward, two steps back with Palm and now HP. Hard to be excited for the Feb 9th announcement when you hear things like this.
    Again, the Pre 2 is not the only product being released this year.

Any company that has a product already developed, and probably built, is gonna try to sell ANY units in order to hopefully make money from it, if not to at least get a return of costs.
    I see pandas.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    They sold out in 2 hours They conveniently leave out any sales numbers That tells me they "sold out" the stock they had on hand, nothing more! So far that indicates to me the only "genius" here is marketing double-talk.
    It sounds like you are not very familiar with Apple sales numbers. They are not trumped up smokescreens. I remember a report suggesting that Apple was stockpiling 4M of these ViP4s for the launch. That would be unprecedented sales, even for Apple. I also suspect that the pre-order limit was anywhere from a half a million to a million units.

At any rate, Apple almost always announces the real numbers within a few days of a launch. If the pre-order allotment has already sold out, you can be confident it is a ridiculously high number.
  19.    #39  
    Any company that has a product already developed, and probably built, is gonna try to sell ANY units in order to hopefully make money from it, if not to at least get a return of costs.
    I disagree. Every Pre 2 HP sells takes away from the number of new hPhones they hope to sell. It muddies the waters and confuses the message. HP is big enough to cut their losses. This is one of those times when they should. They could give all the Pre 2s away to iPhone developers and write it off as a deduction.
    I disagree. Every Pre 2 HP sells takes away from the number of new hPhones they hope to sell. It muddies the waters and confuses the message. HP is big enough to cut their losses. This is one of those times when they should.
    Yeah, that is always an option, that they decided not to take...

They could give all the Pre 2s away to iPhone developers and write it off as a deduction.
    That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
    I see pandas.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast