Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Seeing things like this is what upsets me about Palm. They really dropped the ball on this one. At this point there is nothing new they can introduce because its been adopted by other platforms already. They had a real good thing going even with these teaser videos of the new palm, I don't think there is nothing left for this company other than using the software as a tablet and nothing else.

How does Honeycomb use "the whole Pre concept"?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Did you even watch the video? Not even exclusively Android , like I said other platforms have adopted the Pre concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Did you even watch the video? Not even exclusively Android , like I said other platforms have adopted the Pre concept.
    maybe you could give more specifics like what you mean by the pre concept, and what time(s) in the hour long presentation they are mentioned. It's a long video
    There are four lights.
    I watched it live yesterday.

Yea, there are some things that are similar. Everyone copies off each other though... That's just how it is.

Plus, we have Martias Duarte (the guy who designed the webos UI) working on Android now, and I'm sure he'll be bringing more of his webos ideas to Android.

Could you clarify what "pre concept" really means? I'm not quite sure I understand...

Martius will have a huge impact on Android UI, and HoneyComb was probably the first version with which he was involved.

But we haven't even seen all the WebOS 2 features yet, and Martius was working on some things that probably won't show up until the tablet or 3.0 comes out, so there may still be some goodies on their way.

I'm sure Feb. 9 will show us some things that aren't in Honeycomb.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Seriously do you guys need me to explain the pre concept? I'm not even gonna go there, sure I agree everyone copies from each other. When the iPhone came out there were impostors but where are they now? iPhone has kept the same UI (array of tiles) since jumpstreet and still they are top of the game. But what they have done differently was innovate with the SOFTWARE/HARDWARE and user experience.
    Seriously do you guys need me to explain the pre concept?
    You don't need to explain it, just clarify what you mean. Are you talking about cards and stuff like that?

I watched it. I dont entirely know what you mean either
    the question becomes, did you post to have a conversation about it or just to complain? If it's a conversation then it's a reasonable request for you to clairify what your stating so that a conversation can occur. If your just making a statement that you want everyone to except, well, that's pretty limiting, and although not everyone will agree with your original statement I guess without further elaborating you can sit in your "rightness" without being challenged or debated.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    For the love of God, name it and they have it now. Cards, stacks, multitasking, synergy, notifications etc...Do I need to further explain?
    I watched it.... All I know is my Nook Color has some pretty sweet upgrades coming by way of Honeycomb. 'nuff said for me. Technology is not exclusive i.e. it may be re-formatted or re-packaged, but ultimately it can be available to all on many brands of devices.
    <<thread moved via honeycomb concept>>
    For the love of God, name it and they have it now. Cards, stacks, multitasking, synergy, notifications etc...Do I need to further explain?
    The new widget stacks are pretty cool...

Multitasking, "synergy", and notifications are standard on all the OSs though. Can't really say that Honeycomb took those ideas from webos...

Awfully vague. Synergy was never something that was entirely Palm. Every OS has its way of synching you across the board. HTC Sense UI (android and winmo 6.x) had something similar long before Pre my friend. Notifications do look similar to Palms, but only because they pop up on the bottom now. You only have four places on a screen to show them, should palm hold the exclusive rights to the bottom? Cards on the Pre are very different from what they appear to be on Honeycomb. They're actually usable on Honeycomb it looks like, not just a process in waiting as they are on Pre. I've owned a couple android phones and each one feeling as its own, I expect Honeycomb to be the same.
    I will state for the record that I watched about 30 seconds of this video in total, but I have to say I agree with you about the notifications. The thing that did it for me was the music notification that pops up at 06:48. That reminds me so much of WebOS. But then I thought that the Blackberry tablet completely ripped off WebOS. It is frustrating hearing people slag off WebOS and then their own devices start picking features for their own OS'.

Don't blast me on this, it's just my feelings and opinions.
    @icstars I think you can mess with and do things with the widgets, but not the screen shot thumbnails of full screen apps which is the multitasking ui from the multitasking button.

I'll recognize these as building on the past, not copying, unless hp recognizes it as copying, and sues for patent infringment.
    I watched this video, its not really that much like webos. The cards on the side are just cards, not stacks of apps, just simple active cards like webos. Their synergy doesnt tie in the same as ours does. Also we have a more heavily based gesture system which feels more fluent. We havent seen a tablet webos yet so we can only compare honeycomb for tablets to webos for phones which is a horrible comparison. And one thing android will nver have is a unified experience because they are a licensed os not a propriatary os like ios amd webos. Webos has best of both ios and android it just needs the nee hardware. So lets not jump to calling copy cats. Besides The ui isnt all that. Its way nicer then android currently and deffinatly has pizaaz but who's to say the new tablet wont and who's to say the new phones will have this exact same pizaaz. We will see. Webos has a future because its hp. Most android usera dont even know what android is, except a smartphone. Theres much more recognition with "HP" and "Apple" because they know them. No one i know is jumping for androud tablets, just the ipad. When hp shows its got cool stuff it will be "HP". Feature wiae webos is very simple and that os looks bloated still, nicer, but bloated.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Cards? Define this please an app running in a card (windowed mode) is hardly something someone can steal.

Multitasking? you are a developer and you try and pull this card are you serious?

Synergy? Palm did not invent pulling data from multiply location and mixing/displaying them as one.

Notification? you mean the little pop-up shown on the bottom right? Oh boy

The similarities between enyo and honeycomb are there but who made what first? Enyo was announced not to long ago(oct-nov), while honeycomb was already in development (leaks started near the middle of 2010).

I don't see it, if palm had released enyo with a new version of webos and google lifted it recolored and sold it then ya we have something to talk about. But considering the tech/industry/innovation all seem to be moving in the same direction with similar features it hard to say who is copying who. Unless you have inside info saying different all you do is speculate who copied what. It is possible for more than one person to come up with the same idea at the same time being in same industry in different parts of the world.

Its funny how people thing google sat around and waited on palm dev day to start developing honeycomb, did it influence some design changes possibly? In the end will it matter nope. People need to stop acting like the reason palm is failing is because the competition is producing similar products/ideas.

Again Multitasking (are your serious)
    Also hp cators more to keyboards, which i WANT because typing on vkbs yeilds so many spellin errors!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast