Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    People are obsessed with matias Duarte...is he really 'the' mastermind behind webOS? The one guy who pulled it all together?
    Considering he led development of webOS' Human Interface and User Experience, yes.
    Last edited by barkerja; 02/03/2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    For the love of God, name it and they have it now. Cards, stacks, multitasking, synergy, notifications etc...Do I need to further explain?
    In Septemebr, 2008, Android 1.0 had notifications, cards and swiping in the browser, "Just Type", and synchronized contacts & calendar, etc. webOS was announced a few months later at the 2009 CES. Android Voice Search, digital zoom, and widgets were added in 2009. Quick Actions became Voice Actions in 2010 along with along with Synergy 2.0 features.

What Palm had was Matias Duarte to bring together that vision from Danger and Helio. This guy who started Danger, Andy Rubin, hired Matias back in 2000. When HP released Duarte from his contact in May, 2010, Andy Rubin hired Matias for the second time.

Matias Duarte did not invent the cellphone, cards, notifications, swiping, multitasking, or synchronization. Duarte just made it fun. Listen to Duarte's Engadget interview from 2011 CES. webOS was Duarte's third UI. Honeycomb is his fourth. Ice Cream will be his fifth.

Honeycomb is not Matias Duarte's webOS concept. Honeycomb is his next concept.

HP got Palm. Google got Duarte.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/04/2011 at 09:46 AM.
    I'd actually say that the only people who can really claim that their UI got ripped off would be... Maemo. They've the 'zoom back into multitasking view" and back software buttons ripped off, the notification system with the rectangles that pop up in the corner, the home screen with the widgets and the icons cohabiting peacefully arranged however the heck you want it to be arranged... Even the way the app drawer style is highly derivative of maemo, with it popping up in front of the standard view...

Chill your cannons. The only tablet ripping off webos is the Playbook.
    Who cares anymore. really. Palm stole pinch to zoom from apple. OMG SHAME ON PALM!!!
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Who cares anymore. really. Palm stole pinch to zoom from apple. OMG SHAME ON PALM!!!
    Multi-Touch Systems that I Have Known and Loved
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I will state for the record that I watched about 30 seconds of this video in total, but I have to say I agree with you about the notifications. The thing that did it for me was the music notification that pops up at 06:48. That reminds me so much of WebOS. But then I thought that the Blackberry tablet completely ripped off WebOS. It is frustrating hearing people slag off WebOS and then their own devices start picking features for their own OS'.

Don't blast me on this, it's just my feelings and opinions.

why is it frustrating? I'm stocked, because if HP doesn't deliver, I finally have another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    why is it frustrating? I'm stocked, because if HP doesn't deliver, I finally have another option.
    That is a very good arguement. When you look at it like that, I guess it's just Fanboyism.
    What I am anticipating is that HP devices with Enyo driven apps will be shipping within the next month for both tablet and phone. Honeycomb right now will only be available for tablet and not phone. But we'll find out the new HP features next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Seeing things like this is what upsets me about Palm. They really dropped the ball on this one. At this point there is nothing new they can introduce because its been adopted by other platforms already. They had a real good thing going even with these teaser videos of the new palm, I don't think there is nothing left for this company other than using the software as a tablet and nothing else.

Honeycomb is not coping WebOS. Earlier last year Google brought the company that created the Bump Top application. A lot of the new elements in Honeycomb comes directly from Bump Top.

Here's a video of how Bump Top works.

Who invented Cards, Swiping, Notifications, Just Type, and Synergy?

It is like asking if Columbus discovered America on October 12, 1492.

Actually, our calendar is off by 5 years. There was also a 10-day error not found until years later and it wasn't America. Columbus wasn't on this boat...and you can't discover a place where other people already live. What actually happened was that:

On October 22, 1497, Rodrigo de Triana waved to the people of the Bahamas.

But that wouldn't make much of a US holiday.

Android was started in 2005 and released the 1.0 beta on November 7, 2007 with features Palm would later call Cards, Swiping, Notifications, Just Type, and Synergy. Android 1.0 shipped on September 28, 2008. Arguably other products already had similar features.

Palm announced Cards, Swiping, Notifications, and Synergy on January 8, 2009.

There were a lot of people waving from the shore when they got there.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/04/2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Considering he led development of webOS' Human Interface and User Experience, yes.
    I understand that, but I can't imagine he is the only talent behind WebOS. I've heard people claim allegience to him, 'wherever Duarte goes that is my next platform', etc. This just seems, to me, on the way outside looking in, to be giving Duarte a bit too much credit. In the scope of fairly big organizations, one person generally does not carry that much weight.
    I understand that, but I can't imagine he is the only talent behind WebOS. I've heard people claim allegience to him, 'wherever Duarte goes that is my next platform', etc. This just seems, to me, on the way outside looking in, to be giving Duarte a bit too much credit. In the scope of fairly big organizations, one person generally does not carry that much weight.
    cough steve jobs cough
    It's not the authority (or "weight" as you call it) he carries, it's the influence. In a truly creative environment (like Palm), authority means jack. However, real intellectual talent, whether it be in the cultures of science (engineering) or art, holds significant influence over the design/development process. As it turns out, Duarte has skills on both sides of that cultural divide. HP, conversely, has great credentials on the science side (and a culture that promotes heavily on that science side) and almost no cred on the art side - where the intangibles are worked out for the broader consumer experience.

His kind is a rarity in this industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    True. But it was perfected. And NOONE does notification like WebOS

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by udiaz75 View Post
    True. But it was perfected. And NOONE does notification like WebOS

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with webos notifications... They take up precious screen real estate (which really stands out when you have a small screen to begin with). I think it would be better if they were in the top bar...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with webos notifications... They take up precious screen real estate (which really stands out when you have a small screen to begin with). I think it would be better if they were in the top bar...

Yea, that's at the top of many things I hated about my Pixi.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Yep! I definitely prefer the top bar notifications. Much less intrusive.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

As with other things about the small form factor, I like having notifications at the bottom (near the thumb) makes acting on notifications easier one-handed.

I may be in the minority but those are some of my favs & strong preferences in future devices, webOS or otherwise.

My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    i had the first camera phone sold in the US. beautiful Sanyo SCP 5400 sold by Sprint, great phone! Next was the video capture Sanyo SCP 5500. Awesome too, eventually Sprint had the ESPN phone but never purchased it.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yep! I definitely prefer the top bar notifications. Much less intrusive.

Sent from my eVo
    Top bar notifications maybe less intrusive, but I find it easier to use my phone one-handed when notifications and emails are on the bottom and can be swiped away quickly or tapped. But don't read too much into the one-handed thing.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast