Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thinking that a company isn't going to adopt ideas from webOS (and other various platforms) such as style of multitasking, notifications etc. is about as crazy to think that we'd never see pinch-to-zoom on a phone other than an iPhone (even though Apple was the first to implement it and claim it's infringing upon patents).

Palm did a few cool things with webOS, but they failed miserably in a lot of areas. The only person Palm has to blame for their lack of success is Palm. Hopefully HP can resurrect webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also hp cators more to keyboards, which i WANT because typing on vkbs yeilds so many spellin errors!
    Have you ever used a good virtual keyboard? I'm a lot more error-prone on a keyboard device due to lack of spell correction. You'd be surprised at how intelligent the spell corrections are on devices with a virtual keyboard; you really can type effortlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Have you ever used a good virtual keyboard? I'm a lot more error-prone on a keyboard device due to lack of spell correction. You'd be surprised at how intelligent the spell corrections are on devices with a virtual keyboard; you really can type effortlessly.
    My HD2 is the first phone I've owned that doesn't have a hardware keyboard. At first, I was pretty slow with it... After trying out different keyboards, I'm can type much faster than I could with a hardware keyboard. It took me less than a day to adjust to all this.

Keyboards like Swype and Swiftkey make typing very easy. In fact, Swiftkey pretty much types for you! lol

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also hp cators more to keyboards, which i WANT because typing on vkbs yeilds so many spellin errors!
    do you want your tablet to have a keyboard? Thats not a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    My HD2 is the first phone I've owned that doesn't have a hardware keyboard. At first, I was pretty slow with it... After trying out different keyboards, I'm can type much faster than I could with a hardware keyboard. It took me less than a day to adjust to all this.

Keyboards like Swype and Swiftkey make typing very easy. In fact, Swiftkey pretty much types for you! lol

I wish ios, and future webos devices has stuff like swype
    I thought tablets were with keyboards and slates were without.
    Sprint Love
    I am now on my ipod touch. Auto correction fixed some errors but made far more. Id type in one word and itd auto correct it to some other word which was ********. I typed in as it would come up as A's can i type faster on it? Yes. I beleive the landscape mode and vertical modes are both faster to type on and vertical mode is much easier to type on one handed, but the main problem is lack of tactile feedback leaves it very hard to type without looking and leaves for heavy relience on auto correct and too many typos. If an awesome auto correct was available and the device had a large screen (3.5 is way to small for a virtual keyboard imo) and true haptic feedback (not the patch related haptic which goes off touching anything not just specific buttons) then id be not as resistant but if you look at the quick posts ive done over rhe past few months there are so many typos. I post quick so i dont have time to proofread each post.
    NO patents. NO theft. HP will have to raise the bar and then keep raising it to get share.

Android's 'give it away' method allowed them to catch up and will allow them to pass Apple. Don't know how HP will do. Apple focuses on easy as spit functionality and vertical integration (including approving apps) that allows them to tightly control the user experience.

Google focuses on letting a thousand flowers bloom based on a strong base. This is a much less managed experience, but allows much more differentiation. The typical Mac vs. PC difference.

Don't know where HP will fit. We'll see.
    @rexalbel

That's because you are stuck using Apple's keyboard. There are much better virtual keyboards available. I really hope Palm allows third-party keyboards to be installed...

are you ready for a new phone yet garrett ? lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    OP asks an interesting question, though. If Honeycomb is taking the best features of webOS and putting it on a stronger operating system, why would anyone choose to use webOS at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    are you ready for a new phone yet garrett ? lol
    I'm waiting for more info about the rumored T-Mobile HTC Pyramid...

This isn't surprising at all. Each OS borrows from what the others do well. They saying copying is the most sincere form of flattery. HP webOS should be blushing so much it hurts by now.....

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    OP asks an interesting question, though. If Honeycomb is taking the best features of webOS and putting it on a stronger operating system, why would anyone choose to use webOS at this point?
    Palm has to improve upon those features to make them better somehow. It'll be difficult to do since webos is moving pretty slowly compared to Android.

I'm sure we'll learn alot more on Feb 9th. I'd like to see what Palm's future plans are.

However, it's really difficult to say Android copied anyone when they have the person responsible for how webOS is today. It would be asking him to reinvent himself.

A lot of different smartphone platforms today do the same thing, they just go about presenting their way of doing something a little different than the other. When you take the talent and philosophy responsible for one platform to another, it's radical to think that same experience isn't going to follow.
    I know fans of WebOS need ego boosts where they can get 'em until next Wednesday, which is fine, but come on....

Where's the tabbed Web browser in WebOS? The concave panoramic view for books and videos? The 3D music player? The widgets?

There are so many Honeycomb design cues that have nothing whatsoever to do with WebOS, and just a few that do. And even with those few....the designer is the guy who helped create WebOS! He's allowed to adapt his own work elsewhere, no?
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/03/2011 at 12:55 PM.
    I see what Leke is referring to. There are definitely some similarities. Particularly in the notifications area. The "cards" concept is also being used by Blackberry in their Playbook tablet. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, as they say. I've always been a huge fan of WebOS and how it operates. In fact, WebOS has gotten huge praise from critics for how intuitively it operates and for just being a great OS. The concepts were bound to appear in other devices, because they're great concepts. I, too, am disappointed that Palm has something so wonderful, yet the whole world isn't clamoring for it like they should be. Palm's concepts will continue to be "stolen" or "borrowed", but that's inevitable whenever you have something appealing. Apple has the same problem, yet they manage to maintain their position as having the best-selling mobile phone. It is up to Palm, well, HP/ Palm to continue to update and evolve their products and their capabilities and features, so these copycats (if you want to call them that) are always one step behind them. Remember the first phone to have a camera? Me either. But at one point, someone had the innovative concept of adding a camera to a cell phone, now that feature is ubiquitous. The things that made WebOS special (multi-tasking, synergy, universal search, etc.) are great features and were combined in such a way that Palm Pre was heralded as having the best OS on a cell phone for quite some time. Mind you, these features aren't necessarily original, but implemented in a unique way for the Palm Pre and Pixi. So when these features start appearing in other places it doesn't necessarily mean they were copied from Palm. Even if they were copied, the Pre has been out for well over a year and, like I said earlier, it's been up to the people at Palm, now combined with the people from HP, to make sure they stay ahead of the pack as the things that separated their product are no longer able to make their product stand out.
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    I see what Leke is referring to. There are definitely some similarities. Particularly in the notifications area.
    No, several Android media players (Moto, HTC, and the current Samsung one) have media controls in the notifications area. And HTC's Sense came out at almost the exact same as the original Pre. Apps like Mog also have this capability. It's only new that it is now a default on a stock Android build.

The "cards" concept is also being used by Blackberry in their Playbook tablet. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, as they say.
    Except that unlike the Playbook, Honeycomb isn't imitating cards. You press a button to bring up thumbnails of the 5 most recently used apps. That's not cards. there is no shuffling. It's not horizontal. As far as I know, you don't see lists keep scrolling when in this view. It's more akin to the rollover behavior in Windows 7 than it is WebOS.

I've always been a huge fan of WebOS and how it operates. In fact, WebOS has gotten huge praise from critics for how intuitively it operates and for just being a great OS. The concepts were bound to appear in other devices, because they're great concepts. I, too, am disappointed that Palm has something so wonderful, yet the whole world isn't clamoring for it like they should be. Palm's concepts will continue to be "stolen" or "borrowed", but that's inevitable whenever you have something appealing.
    Of course, which is why WebOS borrowed the cards concept from iOS Safari, unobtrusive notifications from Android, and so on and so forth. There is no wholly original UI in mobile. None.
    yeah I watched the video again, and I dont see nothing thats rippin off webos. they have notifications like everyone but its not tucked away at the bottom. Like said above their task manager is pretty much the same just the option of the last ones used on the side bar. Gmail thread, and book reading is like the ipad. Still just use widgets instead of cards. They dont use gestures to launch applications. I still only see android, just more revamped and polished, now the playbook is more of a ripoff with the cards as apps, and the gestures but as I said before is ugly, and dosent even hold a candle to webos 1.4.5.
    People are obsessed with matias Duarte...is he really 'the' mastermind behind webOS? The one guy who pulled it all together?
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    People are obsessed with matias Duarte...is he really 'the' mastermind behind webOS? The one guy who pulled it all together?
    I don't know, but to not have that guy locked up with 2 year non-compete agreement is criminally stupid.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast