Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    I just use Audiogalaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What happened to Google Music? I thought they were going to show it off today.
    Maybe all of the licensing deals are not in place yet.
    Hands-on video here. Looks pretty great, honestly.
  4.    #64  
    Hands on does look impressive. The fact apps sync back and forth is quite nice. I also like that its only one apk for both the tablet and phone version of the app.

Well done in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Hands on does look impressive. The fact apps sync back and forth is quite nice. I also like that its only one apk for both the tablet and phone version of the app.

Well done in that regard.
    Indeed it does.

The decision I have to make is which ecosystem I want to buy into (since everything is all about interconnected devices). It doesn't make sense to own an Android tablet and a webOS phone. They won't work together nearly as well as two devices running the same OS. So far, it's looking like Android is for me. I'll be paying close attention to HP's Feb 9th event though. I have my doubts, but we'll see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Indeed it does.

The decision I have to make is which ecosystem I want to buy into (since everything is all about interconnected devices). It doesn't make sense to own an Android tablet and a webOS phone. They won't work together nearly as well as two devices running the same OS. So far, it's looking like Android is for me. I'll be paying close attention to HP's Feb 9th event though. I have my doubts, but we'll see...
    It look's like I will be committing to the Android ecosystem also. Two days ago, I downloaded and started using the Chrome browser on my desktop. When I make the decision to make the jump from Exchange to gMail for my personal email/contracts/calendar then I would be fully committed to the Google's ecosystem.

I'm looking forward to see what HP has to offer. They will have to offer A LOT to over come the large Android Market - apps is the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Indeed it does.

Yeah, it was very impressive. I think Google put alot of thought into this new OS, I like it alot. And it will be big decision making time, like you said, it will tie up with your smartphone, unless they release same apps to different os, I want to take full advantage of whole integration part. So far, I am leaning toward Android.
    The most impressive thing about Honeycomb, to me, is that it doesn't seem like an ode to nerdcore anymore (Tron wallpaper aside). This actually seems like a polished, well thought out operating system that is finally every bit as viable as iOS from a usability standpoint.

I look at the app market simultaneously pushing apps to phones and tablets and it's like "yeah, why wouldn't it work like that?" Everything just seems to make sense.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    It look's like I will be committing to the Android ecosystem also. Two days ago, I downloaded and started using the Chrome browser on my desktop. When I make the decision to make the jump from Exchange to gMail for my personal email/contracts/calendar then I would be fully committed to the Google's ecosystem.

I'm looking forward to see what HP has to offer. They will have to offer A LOT to over come the large Android Market - apps is the key.

I was very hesitant about switching from exchange to gmail but now I'd never go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was very hesitant about switching from exchange to gmail but now I'd never go back.
    The main concern I have is privacy and identity thief. I store birthdays and addresses in my contacts.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    The way I see it Webos launched before it was even ready because Palm was brokes. As a result, Webos seemed inferior to the masses and the hardware was rushed so it flopped hard. When I got my pre it had one or two apps and took months to get any and most were crap. You still cannot edit documents because there is no app. The way I see it Palm is going to fail and HP made a bad buy. I already switched to Android and no matter how good the hardware is the fact remains that the OS barely has any applications to offer. I love the Android widgets and the ability to minimize apps. The whole cards thing is becoming old imo. Why do I have to need a card open in the background to keep an application running? I was once a Webos supporter but it has been complete disappointment. Imagine it has been almost 2 years since launch.
  12.    #72  
    I'm well entrenched in the google ecosystem....but its so easy to move to other ones or even devices all accessing Google's information at this point i wouldn't let that define my device.

What you would be missing out on are devices you purchased, but at the same time, I've spent around $30 in paid apps on my phone...if i had to leave that behind ever, i really wouldn't think much of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    The way I see it Webos launched before it was even ready because Palm was brokes. As a result, Webos seemed inferior to the masses and the hardware was rushed so it flopped hard. When I got my pre it had one or two apps and took months to get any and most were crap. You still cannot edit documents because there is no app. The way I see it Palm is going to fail and HP made a bad buy. I already switched to Android and no matter how good the hardware is the fact remains that the OS barely has any applications to offer. I love the Android widgets and the ability to minimize apps. The whole cards thing is becoming old imo. Why do I have to need a card open in the background to keep an application running? I was once a Webos supporter but it has been complete disappointment. Imagine it has been almost 2 years since launch.
    At first, I hated widgets. But now I think it makes sense, especially on tablet. I still have my Pre Plus, and I can't decide where to go from here. I have iPad already which I love and I can't live without it and it's extremely useful. For natually I should go get the iphone but now I see this honeycomb tablet and how it's integrated with android, now I have to make a big decision.

I should start looking at the craigslist to sell my iPad before the price starts to go down. Good thing is that Apple product does hold it's resell value, so hopely I can get some money back.
    if Honeycomb was on a phone maybe it would look good. but im not interested in a tablet. plus web os is only on 2.0. with hp looking to make strides and adding new ui experts along with developers webos 3.0 will bring about revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister_RnB View Post
    if Honeycomb was on a phone maybe it would look good. but im not interested in a tablet. plus web os is only on 2.0. with hp looking to make strides and adding new ui experts along with developers webos 3.0 will bring about revolution.
    I believe the next version of Android will merge Honeycomb and Gingerbread for phones.
    With Android, you can buy an app once and connect multiple devices using the same Gmail account and the app is on all devices.

The contact or calendar entry you change or add on a tablet will show up on a phone. In my case the contact or calendar changes I make on my EVO show on my Pre and PC and vice-versa.

Also, it is Matias Duarte, who designed the webOS UI, who played a big part in the design of Honeycomb. He said Honeycomb is the next generation. He has a greater role in the next generation (Ice Cream) that will bring Honeycomb features to smaller screens (under 7").
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/02/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Matias is the main reason I am leaning toward Android.

I don't trust any manufacturer to build me an amazing android experience.

I like the idea palm had and where HP is going with a standard dock, software and future pieces that are designed to work together. Apple is a bit behind in interoperability between devices (But I'd guess that's coming)

I guess I can just get google designed devices (aka nexus)
    Here's hoping they create a Nexus tablet too.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    There's no denying that I love Apple; I love my iPad and have (almost) no complaints about it.

With that said and out of the way, I'm very tempted to buy the Xoom. I'm waiting to see what HP announces on 2/9 and if they don't announce something that appeals to me then I will await the iPad 2 announcement; if Apple doesn't announce something that's a bit more groundbreaking than the current iPad, Xoom it is.

I'm ready for change.

I'd most likely keep the iPad and continue to use it, especially to try out the new cool, exclusive apps that regularly hit, but from an every day usage standpoint, I think something like the Xoom fills my desire a little better than what's available on the market.

This could all change after I get hands-on, but I was really convinced after watching TechCrunch's hands-on.
    Link to demo
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I'm well entrenched in the google ecosystem....but its so easy to move to other ones or even devices all accessing Google's information at this point i wouldn't let that define my device.

What you would be missing out on are devices you purchased, but at the same time, I've spent around $30 in paid apps on my phone...if i had to leave that behind ever, i really wouldn't think much of it.
    The other key thing here is that I'm cheap and so are a lot of other people - building an ecosystem around fancy devices requires people splashing out a lot of cash.

Let's say I fancy a WebOS tablet and Phone - are they even going to be available off contract?

So Let's say I have to have two contract running at 18 months each - that's a lot of cash to stick down.

On Android, I could buy a decent tablet on contract and an OK android phone to go with it for less than 100 with no contract and no ties. In other threads, people have talked about how the use of a tablet reduced the use or need for a smart-phone - well thinking about it, that still favours Android because even if I spend all of my money on a decent tablet, I can get a cheap full-featured android phone to go with it for about the same money as a feature phone.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/03/2011 at 04:55 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast