1.    #1  
    Here's an article I found comparing the OSes and which ones might survive.

iOS vs Android vs WebOS vs MeeGo | News | TechRadar UK

Sfm Evo
    It's a decent read .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    It's a decent read .

After reading this comment first... I couldn't get into it.. Everything looked like blah blah blah blah blah...

Thanks alot shane!!!!

lol lol lol ltm ltm ltm

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I just read this one, and aside from not knowing about the great strides made by the user community when it comes to patches and overclocking, it is surprisingly balanced and fair.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I just read this one, and aside from not knowing about the great strides made by the user community when it comes to patches and overclocking, it is surprisingly balanced and fair.
    It doesn't mention it for any platform so it's talking about the stock experience - which is the experience the vast majority of consumers are going to have.
    Dumb conclusion,

PALM was dominant and almost disappeared

Android came from nowhere ...

and MS could dissappear but by the logic of the artcle should not be in that position

I think it will stay fluid and there will be mergers - like HP and MS one day ...
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    Dumb conclusion,

PALM was dominant and almost disappeared

Android came from nowhere ...

and MS could dissappear but by the logic of the artcle should not be in that position

I think it will stay fluid and there will be mergers - like HP and MS one day ...
    MicroPackard-HewlettSoft

Has a nice ring to it
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    MicroPackard-HewlettSoft
    that what she said!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Less than 5% of users Jailbreak or root. How could they compare the 500 Android ROMs? There is even a ROM to put Android on a Nokia. How do you compare that?

Also this article will bring pop-ups offing you "dates" in your area. Skip it and read it's conclusion:

"If the mobile market can only support three or four operating systems then some of the software here is doomed to fail. It's unlikely to be iOS or Android, and Microsoft will remain a big player. Similarly, RIM's success in the phone business suggests that it won't be driven out by a newcomer. So does that mean it's curtains for WebOS and Meego?"

I think 5-6 players is possible.

Unlike Desktops I think in the future all phone OS's will work well together. They will have to or they will die. Android might be first to go that route and others will follow.

If MeeGo gets out of the oven soon then Nokia can take over the rest of the world and leave the US out for now.
    Last edited by IcerC; 02/03/2011 at 12:44 AM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    One arguement is that with apps becoming so important to smartphones that developers can't support 5 or 6 platforms.

But the other side of the arguement is that many of the people who upgrade from dumbphones to smartphones will continue to use their phones as dumbphones and not purchase apps anyway (which is probably why Android Market is suffering despite the huge number of android phones being sold).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    One arguement is that with apps becoming so important to smartphones that developers can't support 5 or 6 platforms.

But the other side of the arguement is that many of the people who upgrade from dumbphones to smartphones will continue to use their phones as dumbphones and not purchase apps anyway (which is probably why Android Market is suffering despite the huge number of android phones being sold).
    That's a good point, about dumphone -> smartphone consumers. I suspect a lot of Android consumers were previously owners of a dumbphone and only now have an Android due to pricing and/or being sold by the carrier.

I know that applies to my mom. She has an iPhone but has only downloaded and regularly uses a handful of apps. I'm all the time trying to get her to try something new with me (Kik for example) but she "never gets around to it".
    Android, iOS, WindowsPhone (QNX, Webos, ,meego able to run competitors language as well as there own)

If Blackberry runs android apps those two are taken care of. +They could even switch to android (there own version) if QNX doesn't gain momentum.

If WebOS can easily port iphone apps (not just games like current) then that works out nice. +They could build an easy way to port from android too.

Microsoft has it's OS and will continue to grow as long as stay with it.

That leaves MeeGo (Which, being C++, should easily port iOS apps as well) (or could be nokias out of the US.. OS)
    + Nokia could do Windows Phone (they have 4 or so platforms already)

what cha think?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Less than 5% of users Jailbreak or root. How could they compare the 500 Android ROMs? There is even a ROM to put Android on a Nokia. How do you compare that?

Also this article will bring pop-ups offing you "dates" in your area. Skip it and read it's conclusion:

"If the mobile market can only support three or four operating systems then some of the software here is doomed to fail. It's unlikely to be iOS or Android, and Microsoft will remain a big player. Similarly, RIM's success in the phone business suggests that it won't be driven out by a newcomer. So does that mean it's curtains for WebOS and Meego?"

I would say the Meego for sure. It's a loser name. If a user doesn't like what he gets, meego to another handheld OS.
    And RIM's Playbook? It's not a true standalone tablet. I'm basing this on the following statement: As Forbes notes, however, it is true that the PlayBook needs to be tied to a BlackBerry for most PIM functions like contacts and calendar management...
    If your not a Blackberry user, you won't get the whole experience. Recipe for disaster. It's like a wheelchair for the Blackberry
    Great article. Unbiased. I will repost to my fb and twitter. Rock on!