Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 301
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Why do you think I "don't get" that? I was selling to folks like you back in the late 80's and through the 90's.
    I'm curious what you mean by the phrase "folks like me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think I said anyting about selling digital downloads, DVD-Quality video encoding capability, or any of the other things you spoke about. I was speaking to the "stitching together" concept you were speaking of. And yes, back in those days, it was very much "stitching together" - to the point where our shop was hand-making cables to use "non-standard" monitors, tying in other manufacturer's hard drives, and doing our own memory upgrades beyond the "limits" of what were already available.
    I'm the one who mentioned digital downloads, DVD-Quality video encoding capability, et al - you're the one who went off the reservation talking about the late 80s and early 90s in response to my 2001 timeframe. What's that about? You trying to establish your eCredentials?
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Absoultely. Glad to see you've come around to agreeing with me that there is no "one vendor fits all" solution.
    LOL - you need to go back and do some reviewing of this thread. Unlike you, I'm the furthest thing from a "one-vendor-fits-all" viewpoint
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    See, this is where you annoy me.

    You know that they were not all an Apple crowd.
    You really should go back and read again. See if you can tell the difference between:
    The "Oh, that's an Apple" crowd.
    Apple crowd
    I know, I know. Subtle. One is a crowd of people that use Apple. The other is a crowd that says "Oh, that's an Apple."

    In other words, I didn't say they were all an "Apple crowd". As a matter of fact, I didn't even mention the "Apple crowd"

    Try to pay attention son, you'll be less annoyed.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I didn't pick it because it was classic. But, because it fit the thread title.

    I don't try to live in the past like you do, with printers when Apple moved away from that category years ago. But, you chose to bring up.
    Hmmmm, what was the date on that ad you posted... Ah well. Never mind.
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/07/2011 at 09:00 PM.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It's because they're clones. Uncle Steve has not officially "invented" bluetooth and made it "magical", therefore for them it doesn't exist. They like to be tethered to their device like they are tethered to Uncle Steve, it give them a sense of well being.
    When he spins his Disney like magical RFD web with his patented "Just one more thing" and introduces "Apple Bluetooth", then and only then will you see the POD people adopt bluetooth.
    You're probably not going to believe this (well, actually you might, you seem to see the humor in these things sometimes), but I didn't know that the the iDevices didn't come with BT.
    After I posted that, I thought about, then decided that surely that wasn't the case. Guess I overestimated Apple.

    I'm sure someday they'll invent that as well.

    Hey wait... the iPhone comes with BT. I know, because a lady I work with has one and was impressed with the set I had, and bought one for hers. So apparently Jobs has at least invented BT for the iPhone.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    LOL - you need to go back and do some reviewing of this thread. Unlike you, I'm the furthest thing from a "one-vendor-fits-all" viewpoint
    I don't doubt that you're "the furthest thing from a 'one-vendor-fits-all' viewpoint." Like I said, you've come around to agreeing with me (and yes, I've followed the thread - see if you can discern my hidden message in my response).

    But where the "unlike you". I'm certainly not advocating that everyone buy from one vendor. Never have, never will.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Thank you, you make my point for me. A hetrogeneous environment gives us all more choices.
    To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." From Wikipedia:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Homogeneity and heterogeneity are concepts relating to the uniformity or lack thereof in a substance. A material that is homogeneous is uniform in composition or character; one that is heterogeneous lacks uniformity in one of these qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Such companies exist. They're all over the place.
    You need to read this link and others like it. HP will sue your pant off, and win, if you choose to infringe on their patents and copy their ink cartridges.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNet
    Among the 11 companies charged with patent infringement, InkPlusToner.com and Comptree Ink reached settlements with HP. Both have paid HP an undisclosed amount in damages and have promised to stop selling the compatible 02 cartridges in the U.S. HP added that it expects to reach a similar agreement with SmartOne Services.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course, those extra services don't have to be installed. I'll grant you that it's much easier to simply select "typical installation", but I install those systems regularly without all of the stuff you're talking about.
    LOL - so true, but in Windows, if you don't want to see the installation dialog pop up every time you access your printer, you'll go ahead and keep those wholly intrusive bits of software active.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But I think you've missed something somewhere. I never said HP was "all about openness", I've said that having that type of openness (and I probably should have said hetrogenous systems instead) is what would make what I think they're trying to do succeed.
    So when you posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    I think maybe you missed my point. HP already allows "openess" and "interchaneability".
    ...you really meant HP is not open? To quote The Dread Pirate Robert (to Vizzini): "Truly you have a dizzying intellect." Of course, your heterogeneous systems (i.e. lacks uniformity in composition or character) is a condition in which the Apple approach to doing business thrives.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Unfortunately, some folks can afford the headaches more than the dollars on the price tag. That market has to be catered to as well.
    And therein the beauty of choice. Apple doesn't invent markets. They observe markets as loosely stitched-together, heterogeneous systems and find ways to make them functional, integrated ecosystems ... to which the average consumer flocks...at a premium.
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wait a minute. You are mixing terms. You said the OS wars were "over" back around 88. I didn't say that Apple's OS posed any real danger to Microsoft's OS, but to say that war is "over" is an overstatement. If it's "over", why is Apple still fighting? That was my point.
    Wait a minute. Your original point was Apple's closed ecosystem was a "danger to the consumer." You've now gotten completely sidetracked on the definition of OS war even though you're the one who said "Back in the day, when Apple posed a real threat to Microsoft's operating system" as if it were more than a few weeks ago. Are you now officially changing the argument to a more current version of the OS war? Fine, go back to Post #136, re-read it, come back and re-post your argument so we can figure out what you want to talk about.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    LOL - so true, but in Windows, if you don't want to see the installation dialog pop up every time you access your printer, you'll go ahead and keep those wholly intrusive bits of software active.
    I can use my printer without the software. I have an iMac and did it quite well. One my windows i can print without the software, choose not to because it tells me when I am low on ink.

    And have you used an HP printer? Were you once a college kid? Throughout college to save money I used staples ink instead of buying HP. It worked just fine. Sure, they have patents to protect what they do -- but then again, it's big money for HP so if they believe they have something that could be used by their competition -- like Canon -- then of course they will. It's what every company does.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But where the "unlike you". I'm certainly not advocating that everyone buy from one vendor. Never have, never will.
    Then if you're still in the business of establishing a customer with a solution, you're doing them a disservice. Never is a pretty strong word in a business with so many options and opportunities. Sometimes the single vendor solution is the right answer. Will your customers never be allowed to know this because you "know better?"
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    To quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." From Wikipedia:
    Broaden your horizons some young man, Wikipedia isn't the final word on such matters. From Dictionary.com:
    1. different in kind; unlike; incongruous.
    2. composed of parts of different kinds; having widely dissimilar elements or constituents: The party was attended by a heterogeneous group of artists, politicians, and social climbers.
    3. Chemistry . (of a mixture) composed of different substances or the same substance in different phases, as solid ice and liquid water.
    Synonyms
    2. varied, diverse.
    And a quick google search of "heterogeneous computer systems" will return a lot of what I'm talking about (there are even patents for "heterogeneous computer systems"). But, I'll grant you that you do not think it means what I think it means.

    Of course, that doesn't mean you're right.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Then if you're still in the business of establishing a customer with a solution, you're doing them a disservice. Never is a pretty strong word in a business with so many options and opportunities. Sometimes the single vendor solution is the right answer. Will your customers never be allowed to know this because you "know better?"
    Go back and reread what I said.

    I will never make the recommendation that "everyone buy from one vendor". I'd say I've been in the business long enough to recognize that the a one-vendor solution for everyone isn't going to happen.
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I can use my printer without the software. I have an iMac and did it quite well. One my windows i can print without the software, choose not to because it tells me when I am low on ink.
    True - with a Mac, like Linux and Solaris, you can use an open source CUPS driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    And have you used an HP printer? Were you once a college kid?
    LOL - yes I was a college kid, but all we had were 128 column line printers hooked up to mainframes so ink cartridges weren't a concern. But to answer your first question - yes, I do use an HP printer today.

    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Throughout college to save money I used staples ink instead of buying HP. It worked just fine. Sure, they have patents to protect what they do -- but then again, it's big money for HP so if they believe they have something that could be used by their competition -- like Canon -- then of course they will. It's what every company does.
    HP can't stop the ink refills, my comments are about replacement cartridges. And yes, so does Canon. Both examples serve as proof than neither company is really looking for the "open solution" that hparsons is espousing. They're all in it for the profit and will be open only when it suits their needs ... or forces someone else to open up a market to them.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by the phrase "folks like me?"
    You spent some time telling me what I meant, you mean you didn't know??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm the one who mentioned digital downloads, DVD-Quality video encoding capability, et al - you're the one who went off the reservation talking about the late 80s and early 90s in response to my 2001 timeframe. What's that about? You trying to establish your eCredentials?
    So, it was only digital downloads, DVD-Quality video encoding, etc etc? Was that the only time you've stitched together systems?

    It may have been, I don't know. However, I didn't say I sold to you, I said folks like you. It was in response to this:
    "The difference is, I had to go to a couple dozen different manufacturers and services and stitch together their completely un-integrated systems to make it happen." and yeah, I was selling to people like that in the 80's and 90's. I still do it today, but on a much different scale.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...
    You need to read this link and others like it. HP will sue your pant off, and win, if you choose to infringe on their patents and copy their ink cartridges.
    .
    I'll give you that one. I stopped reading at "cartridges" and thought you were talking about laser printers. I've never owned an HP inkjet printer.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...LOL - so true, but in Windows, if you don't want to see the installation dialog pop up every time you access your printer, you'll go ahead and keep those wholly intrusive bits of software active.
    ...
    Actually, not true. The drivers can be installed without the popups. Guess some people understand the install, others don't. I'm available for consults
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wait a minute. Your original point was Apple's closed ecosystem was a "danger to the consumer." You've now gotten completely sidetracked on the definition of OS war even though you're the one who said "Back in the day, when Apple posed a real threat to Microsoft's operating system" as if it were more than a few weeks ago. Are you now officially changing the argument to a more current version of the OS war? Fine, go back to Post #136, re-read it, come back and re-post your argument so we can figure out what you want to talk about.
    You're not paying attention. I don't doubt for a minute that Apple is still waging war against Microsoft's OS. There is a difference between waging a war and "posing a real threat".
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...Both examples serve as proof than neither company is really looking for the "open solution" that hparsons is espousing. They're all in it for the profit and will be open only when it suits their needs ... or forces someone else to open up a market to them.
    Here's a challenge for you. Find the post where I espoused that HP was "looking for an option solution", and that they weren't in it for the profit.

    It's easy to out-argue someone when you define what they're saying. But, in spite of your efforts to pretend it's so, I never said that.
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Here's a challenge for you. Find the post where I espoused that HP was "looking for an option [sic] solution", and that they weren't in it for the profit.

    It's easy to out-argue someone when you define what they're saying. But, in spite of your efforts to pretend it's so, I never said that.
    What does this mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    That's what HP will need to concentrate on. And for it to succeed, they will have to repeat the broad method that the corporate competition (it wasn't just one company) did with the publishing ecosystem(s). By that, I mean that there will have to be the same sort of openess that there was in the publishing arena.
    That would be post #136.
  20. #180  


    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions