Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    To be honest, I can't answer that question. For me, personally, it's the whole package. When I spend my hard-earned-dollar, it's on something that I truly want and appreciate.

We could debate all day why the color orange is better than the color red. Or is green better?

In any case, I stare at my computer, on average, for 8 hours a day; aside from wanting something that works great, I also want something that looks great and fits my style of life. That's about the best and most honest reasoning I can give.

As a side note, on customer service: Last year my cat knocked over a drink one on my Macbook Pro. A few keys stopped functioning and the corner of the display was busted. I took the laptop in that day to the local Apple store here; I was in dismay, to say the least.

Long story short, they gave me a brand new laptop, transferred all my data on the spot and told me to have a great day (and to watch the cat next time). No questions asked, no hassle.

The same happened to my good friend who dropped his iPad and shattered the glass. He took it in, hoping that he could have it repaired for a reasonable price and to his surprise, they gave him a brand new iPad and took his old one, no hassle.

I'm sure this doesn't happen every day or in all locations, but I have had ZERO issues with Apple's customer service and I have NEVER heard of any other company straight out swap a device like an iPad or a laptop, for free, to a customer for reasons of their own fault.
    It's funny. Whether it's the above or Dandbj13 revealing that an Apple return almost brought him to tears, everyone's got a story about Apple service. I've done the same at Costco with a digital camera that cost about as much as an iPod. They're similarly liberal and unquestioning with their return policy, but I understand that it's relatively rare directly from manufacturers.

I guess that has at least something to do with the fact that very few consumer electronics companies own and operate their own retail stores where they sell the products and can service them to boot.

But if you think you'll come under random velociraptor attack someday and break your laptop, you could buy the maximum "protection plan" from most retailers and still come out for less money with a way better processor, storage, and graphics card. I think Costco includes a second year extended warranty for free.

I find it interesting that the distinguishing features of Apple have to do with the company culture, return policy, finishes, first names of the girl working the front of the Apple Store that day.....pretty much everything except the machines themselves. I guess that stuff matters more to some people than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't dispute the numbers in the survey, but they don't seem particularly relevant to me. Not only is iPhone coming to Verizon after a pretty long wait and buildup of hype, but it's also coming at a lull where there are no new Blackberry phone offerings and the only new Verizon Android devices are the HTC Thunderbolt (a LTE Evo) and some LTE offerings from Samsung and LG that haven't been promoted the least bit yet. Meanwhile, Apple and Verizon are running ads for this left and right during the most watched TV programming in the country.

That is to say, iPhone should be cleaning up in those circumstances. That shouldn't be cause for concern for HP. They just need to pick a point sufficiently past the Apple refresh cycle when the hype has died down, and then go in guns ablazing. The iPhone doesn't nullify other smartphone competitors just by virtue of being on any carrier, even AT&T. The more carriers it goes to, the less it becomes the be-all, end-all on the carriers it was previously on.
    Nay...you think that if it was ever to occur that the release of a new BB or Android phone on the same day as a new iPhone release, that the iPhone wouldn't mop the floor with those other devices. Blackberry? Are you serious?

And this: The iPhone doesn't nullify other smartphone competitors just by virtue of being on any carrier, even AT&T. The more carriers it goes to, the less it becomes the be-all, end-all on the carriers it was previously on.

When you look at the statement, on the outside it seems it could be correct. But here we are four years later and it is still iphone against everything else.

Don't believe that, do a Google search on these two words: Android Killer. You get hits about task managers. Then do a Google search on these two words: iPhone Killer. See the difference?

(Don't bother with webOs, you get a 404 error, page not found)
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/04/2011 at 07:34 PM.
    I'm loyal to no company. I'm loyal to products that work for me. Windows does. Nicely. I get all of the utility, peace of mind, and happiness you apparently get from the Mac, so I have no need to look elsewhere.
    I'm loyal to no company. I'm loyal to products that work for me. Windows does. Nicely. I get all of the utility, peace of mind, and happiness you apparently get from the Mac, so I have no need to look elsewhere.
    Amen! Thats the way it should be. Use what you will, enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I kind of understand the argument people raise about paying too much for too little when it comes to Apple products. I really do. But there's a reason why their customers are so loyal to their brand.

(and it's not brainwashing, you jokers)
    cost is a valid point. it's why i don't have AT&T.

but i think apple does an excellent job of appealing to the masses with their products. They provide a simplified way to do things. Like Foobar may be "better" then itunes but most people would rather not have the setup hassle and have to work to make it look good.

Plus they do what others do but better and slicker. Their is a polish to their products that many of it's competitors only do if they have to. And they did a great job of integrating things like music, video, podcasting, social media, cameras etc into their handhelds. Where as man of the others don't really have a cohesive ecosystem. obviously there are issues. hell you'd think appletv would play everything a mac could but it can't. YOu'd think itunes could do simple stuff like folder monitoring. But i think for most people certain things are good enough. I think its the same in the opposite for windows as a desktop o.s., For business, and home use it's got an ecosystem that works that's well supported and, especially in a corporate sense it's good enough.

I'll elaborate on that point by saying i'm BLINDLY loyal to NO company. I buy products that work for me. And to the extent that someone consistently makes products that are of high quality, they get a benefit of the doubt. But that doesn't mean I'd blindly buy a product. I used to have Macs, I now only use windows (HP Laptop fyi). I have two working ipods, I use google's gmail. They are just companies making products to me. I use what works. When it stops working for my needs (like Mac computers did) i find something that does. I used to have a playstation. When i needed online gaming and most of the games i wanted to play where on xbox 360 i stopped using a sony game system and bought a 360.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Don't you know by now that it's not about the specs when it comes to Apple?

You are focusing on specs ONLY and ignoring all the other things that separate the iMac from that HP model.

Check out this page...

2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT - Specs - Motor Trend

Just like that Ford Mustang has similar specs to the BMW M3. The BMW M3 costs a whopping $26,750 more than the Mustang. You can't use specs alone to quantify why that M3 cost more than the Mustang or vice versa. Just like you can't use specs alone to compare an iMac to that HP all in one.
    Ok...so why does an iMac cost $420 more than the same thing from HP? Can't be aluminum or glass. Can't be the Magic Mouse. Can't be OSX costing more than Windows. Can't be all of that put together. The internals are the exact same, so one isn't "more likely" to breakdown than the other.

Oh, one has an Apple logo, you say? Problem solved.
    Yeah, the CDMA iPhone is 6 months old....riiiiiiiiiight. Hilarious.
    The design is 6 months old. Still can't deny that the iPhone has outsold all previous phones on Verizon. Including the ones in the past that were supposed to be better than the iPhone.

They don't have to Android as a platform will "beat it", and then everyone associated with both will makes lots of money because of impassioned yet silly and neverending debates from people that have no other vested interest other than handing them hundreds of dollars every so often.
    Apple Leads Smartphone Race, while Android Attracts Most Recent Customers | Nielsen Wire

If you look at that chart you will see that the iPhone still has higher market share than Android. Now, that the iPhone is on Verizon you will see that Android will not be growing as fast in the US.

Then there was all the hoopla earlier this week when it was announced that Android outsold Nokia worldwide. But, come to find out that those numbers included a version of Android from China that is not part of Google's Android and doesn't/can't use the same apps as Google Android devices.

The next 6 months will tell the real deal on how Android is really doing against the iPhone with it now being on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    The design is 6 months old. Still can't deny that the iPhone has outsold all previous phones on Verizon. Including the ones in the past that were supposed to be better than the iPhone.

Apple Leads Smartphone Race, while Android Attracts Most Recent Customers | Nielsen Wire

If you look at that chart you will see that the iPhone still has higher market share than Android. Now, that the iPhone is on Verizon you will see that Android will not be growing as fast in the US.

Then there was all the hoopla earlier this week when it was announced that Android outsold Nokia worldwide. But, come to find out that those numbers included a version of Android from China that is not part of Google's Android and doesn't/can't use the same apps as Google Android devices.

The next 6 months will tell the real deal on how Android is really doing against the iPhone with it now being on Verizon.
    And this effects you how? Neither are going concerns. Neither android or iOS users have anything to worry about. As an iOS user, i know i don't care which platform has the leading marketshare. If anything, i'd rather android pass right by and keep apple innovating.

WebOS users care more because frankly webOS is a going concern and has been since release. HP could easily easily reverse course if it can't make a success out of webOS.
    Ok...so why does an iMac cost $420 more than the same thing from HP? Can't be aluminum or glass. Can't be the Magic Mouse. Can't be OSX costing more than Windows. Can't be all of that put together. The internals are the exact same, so one isn't "more likely" to breakdown than the other.

There are several things different between the two.

The iMac is aluminum. The HP is plastic. Which one is more expensive?

As I was looking at the HP on HP's website, it looks like the DVD drive is one of those that comes out on the tray. With the iMac, you just slide the DVD in the slot. Which one is more easier? Apple took the time, engineering, and the associated COSTS to make their DVD drive work better for the user. Something that HP chose not to do, thus SAVING money because they cut corners.

I'm sure the screen on the iMac is superior to the HP model.

Looking at the HP, it seems there are many panels that make up HP Omni, whereas on the iMac, Apple took the time, engineering, and associated COSTS to make the iMac a solid one piece unit.

I'm sure the fans in the iMac are quieter than the HP. You say that may not matter, but if you're in a quiet place that can be annoying and I'm sure Apple took the time, engineering, and the associated COSTS to make their fans quieter than the one's in the HP Omni.

As I said you can't quantify everything with a spec.
    here shows a comparison from laptopmag.com back 08/10 showing a HP envy vs a Macbook Pro:

Help Me, LAPTOP: HP Envy 14 or MacBook Pro 13?

they conluded in their opinion that the Envy was better for performance, and the macbook for endurance. Though the HP won on more tests then the macbook.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

As far as the "laserlike focus"; exactly what is Apple focusing on?
    • Personal Computers
    • Phones
    • Music devices
    • Printers - (never mind, nix that one, they did give up on that)
    • Servers
    • Add on software
    • Music sales

Please, don't mistake an inability to maintin multiple models in a market as "focus". Apple has obviously been very adept at trying different areas. That's not a bad thing, but to call it "focus" is to not understand the meaning of the word.
    Looks like a laser-like focus on unified digital media experience. Everything from producing to distributing to consuming. And media includes everything from music to voice calls to twitter to email.

Everything there focuses how to create/deliver/consume media.

They didn't misunderstand the meaning of focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    here shows a comparison from laptopmag.com back 08/10 showing a HP envy vs a Macbook Pro:

Help Me, LAPTOP: HP Envy 14 or MacBook Pro 13?

they conluded in their opinion that the Envy was better for performance, and the macbook for endurance. Though the HP won on more tests then the macbook.
    I am sure the fans were quieter or the aluminum was aluminum-ier or something on the Macbook. It's gotta be...
    I am sure the fans were quieter or the aluminum was aluminum-ier or something on the Macbook. It's gotta be...
    most likely, and even they stated visually the macbook pro was better designed with a better battery life. I myself use to sell macbooks through a vender, then opted to sell HP pavillions and must say the macbooks are very nicely made. Though the HP did provide better power, but terriable battery life.

I think I have explained why people are happy to pay more for what you call less. I also think others have explained it as well. But, when upgrading your OS to Windows 8 in a few years you'll have to have $200 for the upgrade, or choose a "cheaper Windows" with less features, that Apple gives all their customers. Mac OS X Leopard, as I have said, was $129 and Snow Leopard $29 (and although that was the upgrade prices if you had Leopard, a little unknown secret is that disc HAS the full OS and does not require you to have Leopard before. I know, because when I had a new HD put in it I did not have to put Leopard on, then Snow Leopard.)

So the overall up keep is going to be generally cheaper. And the same iMac that I have had for almost 4 years can still do anything I need today. Plus, it works just as fast and is not in need of a replacement. With my HP laptop I all ready want to replace it and I am mad at Office Depot's warranty company because they returned my laptop with scratches and still have yet to give me a shipping box to return it. Sure, thats now HP's fault, but I know that sorta thing would not have happened with Apple since I actually DROP it off at the store and they would have seen it when they got it back, and would have replaced it with a new laptop and transferred my files.

And again, buy what works for you. But we have explained why we are willing to buy a more expensive product. So we can get better customer service over all and a product that will last us. You apparently replace your laptop every 2 years. That means if you were to buy a new $999 dollar HP laptop, and replace it every two years, you'd spend 1998. If I bought a MacBook Pro for 1700 for similar specs, and kept it for 4-6 years, I believe I would have spent less money then you. Even considering upgrading OS every 2-3 years, it would still be 1958 -- which is cheaper then what you pay, but not by much. So why do you spend so much money on your laptops? Because you obviously like the most updated specs possible, which is fine.

But we Mac users who keep the same computer for longer then you do not actually spend more money then you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    As far as the "laserlike focus"; exactly what is Apple focusing on?

• Personal Computers
    • Phones
    • Music devices
    • Printers - (never mind, nix that one, they did give up on that)
    • Servers
    • Add on software
    • Music sales

Please, don't mistake an inability to maintin multiple models in a market as "focus". Apple has obviously been very adept at trying different areas. That's not a bad thing, but to call it "focus" is to not understand the meaning of the word.
    I put this graphic together to help in understanding Apple's focus. In addition to printers, Apple has also indicated they are getting out of the business server market too, although that's still up in the air. What's left is shown below: A tightly integrated ecosystem where all the parts are designed to work together. No other corporation has gotten this far providing the average consumer with an integrated, turnkey operation.

They have cloud commerce for music, books, videos, and applications that connect to their personal computers, music players, phones, and home media servers (AppleTV and/or TimeCapsule). Their OS is consistently integrated across all their hardware. Their software generally tends to extend the media experience. Finally, they allow outside elements into their ecosystem like 3rd party software and hardware, but only if it plays nicely within the ecosystem. That cloud could also include MobileMe which is another aspect of their ecosystem to keep the consumers connected with other consumers by providing a cloud storage, life-sharing (media, calendars) experience.

The other consumer tech firms (like Sony, HP, Dell, Acer, et al) have nothing close to this focus. They have some aspects of the Apple ecosystem, seemingly random in their application, but they are hardly as persistent in their availability.

Like it or not (and I tend to not like it), the Apple ecosystem is a focused, well-thought-out consumer playground that makes it easy for the lowest-common-denominator in the tech world to enjoy a high-tech experience.

And Mikah - this may account for some of that premium Apple charges for their devices. If you're as tech savvy as many of my friends (i.e. NOT!), they're probably saving money (or at least their own personal time) going the Apple route if they want all these features.
    With my dell laptops in past, if something went wrong, i call up Dell. They send a tech over in a couple of days to fix it. Or they overnight a part if not that serious. Sounds easier then packing things up and heading to the mall to fool with the Apple crowd.

Same with desktops. But why are you fooling with all-in-ones? I prefer to buy a monitor separately and let it last for years.

I don't usually consider HP when buying a computer though. Laser printer? Sure. But that's about it.

But i would argue for the average person who can't handle viruses, and want something low in maintenance, a Mac could be the better deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I think I have explained why people are happy to pay more for what you call less. I also think others have explained it as well. But, when upgrading your OS to Windows 8 in a few years you'll have to have $200 for the upgrade, or choose a "cheaper Windows" with less features, that Apple gives all their customers. Mac OS X Leopard, as I have said, was $129 and Snow Leopard $29 (and although that was the upgrade prices if you had Leopard, a little unknown secret is that disc HAS the full OS and does not require you to have Leopard before. I know, because when I had a new HD put in it I did not have to put Leopard on, then Snow Leopard.)
    Actually, Windows upgrades are not $200. They go for around $100, and they're not the least bit mandatory. Our main house computer is a Core 2 Duo desktop with Windows XP on it that I bought 5 years ago. I didn't and still have no reason to buy Windows 7. It happened to come preinstalled on my HP netbook. I love it, but there's nothing that compels me to update my desktop.

My parents have an even older Compaq desktop that they have not and will never upgrade. Most people who keep desktops that long just buy a new machine and get whatever the current OS is at that time. Snow Leopard upgrades being $70 cheaper means nothing when I paid $420 more years ago.

So the overall up keep is going to be generally cheaper.
    Putting on a new operating system isn't upkeep. It's an optional upgrade. Upkeep are patches and service poacks, all of which are free. Microsoft's antivirus and firewall - Security Essentials - is also free. There are no Windows upkeep costs save for those you choose to add.

And the same iMac that I have had for almost 4 years can still do anything I need today. Plus, it works just as fast and is not in need of a replacement. With my HP laptop I all ready want to replace it and I am mad at Office Depot's warranty company because they returned my laptop with scratches and still have yet to give me a shipping box to return it. Sure, thats now HP's fault, but I know that sorta thing would not have happened with Apple since I actually DROP it off at the store and they would have seen it when they got it back, and would have replaced it with a new laptop and transferred my files.
    How is any of this having to do with PC vs. Mac? That's on the company you brought it from. If you accepted it in that condition, that's your fault as a consumer.

And again, buy what works for you. But we have explained why we are willing to buy a more expensive product. So we can get better customer service over all and a product that will last us. You apparently replace your laptop every 2 years. That means if you were to buy a new $999 dollar HP laptop, and replace it every two years, you'd spend 1998. If I bought a MacBook Pro for 1700 for similar specs, and kept it for 4-6 years, I believe I would have spent less money then you. Even considering upgrading OS every 2-3 years, it would still be 1958 -- which is cheaper then what you pay, but not by much. So why do you spend so much money on your laptops? Because you obviously like the most updated specs possible, which is fine.
    I have no reason to buy a $999 laptop from anyone. I have no reason to buy a $999 desktop from anyone. I replace my laptops when their guts get obsolete, and no sooner. It varies.

It's fine that you're willing to buy a more expensive product. I am willing to pay for a more expensive product as well....as long as that money goes to the quality of the primary and secondary purposes of the product.

When we're talking a 50 percent price increase, I have to have more than superficial upgrades like a different finish or a slot loading drive instead of a tray that also plays Blu-Ray discs. When you go to a car dealership for upgrades like that, they may add 3-10 percent to the price of the car. When I buy a Mac, I'm paying anywhere from 20-55 percent markup, yet getting equivalent or crappier primary components.

Would I like to have "all of the fixins", so to speak? If they are worth it...yes. But Apple cheapens out and skimps in far too many areas for me.

When they don't, like, say...an iPod Touch....I'm the first in line to buy their stuff. If I had a use for a tablet, I'd most certainly buy an iPad (as of right now...when they actually get some competition...different story).

But that's the heart of this schism. I think they cheap out on the stuff that matters to me. You guys think HP cheaps out in the stuff that matters to you.
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/05/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    With my dell laptops in past, if something went wrong, i call up Dell. They send a tech over in a couple of days to fix it. Or they overnight a part if not that serious. Sounds easier then packing things up and heading to the mall to fool with the Apple crowd.

Same with desktops. But why are you fooling with all-in-ones? I prefer to buy a monitor separately and let it last for years.

I don't usually consider HP when buying a computer though. Laser printer? Sure. But that's about it.

But i would argue for the average person who can't handle viruses, and want something low in maintenance, a Mac could be the better deal.
    I used to think that, but my parents - who are hopeless luddites - are fine with the Compaq my dad bought from a second rate computer shop eons ago. All I had to do was remove Norton so they wouldn't have to bother with subscriptions and such, and stick Microsoft's free Security Essentials on. I very rarely get a "tech support" call these days, and they can see and store pictures of the grandkid, do email, web browse, type up menus and invoices, and do everything they need to do....simply. Why would I tell my father to drop $1100 or more on a Mac that does the exact same thing?
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/05/2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I put this graphic together to help in understanding Apple's focus. In addition to printers, Apple has also indicated they are getting out of the business server market too, although that's still up in the air. What's left is shown below: A tightly integrated ecosystem where all the parts are designed to work together. No other corporation has gotten this far providing the average consumer with an integrated, turnkey operation.

They have cloud commerce for music, books, videos, and applications that connect to their personal computers, music players, phones, and home media servers (AppleTV and/or TimeCapsule). Their OS is consistently integrated across all their hardware. Their software generally tends to extend the media experience. Finally, they allow outside elements into their ecosystem like 3rd party software and hardware, but only if it plays nicely within the ecosystem. That cloud could also include MobileMe which is another aspect of their ecosystem to keep the consumers connected with other consumers by providing a cloud storage, life-sharing (media, calendars) experience.

The other consumer tech firms (like Sony, HP, Dell, Acer, et al) have nothing close to this focus. They have some aspects of the Apple ecosystem, seemingly random in their application, but they are hardly as persistent in their availability.

Like it or not (and I tend to not like it), the Apple ecosystem is a focused, well-thought-out consumer playground that makes it easy for the lowest-common-denominator in the tech world to enjoy a high-tech experience.

And Mikah - this may account for some of that premium Apple charges for their devices. If you're as tech savvy as many of my friends (i.e. NOT!), they're probably saving money (or at least their own personal time) going the Apple route if they want all these features.
    Can't disagree with any of this. Fantastic post.

The ecosystem is unparalleled, but as someone else noted above about Microsoft making you enter keys in Windows, Apple's lack of trust in me to make my own decisions is quite bothersome in that same ecosystem.
    Actually, Windows upgrades are not $200. They go for around $100, and they're not the least bit mandatory. Our main house computer is a Core 2 Duo desktop with Windows XP on it that I bought 5 years ago. I didn't and still have no reason to buy Windows 7. It happened to come preinstalled on my HP netbook. I love it, but there's nothing that compels me to update my desktop.
    But that's the heart of this schism. I think they cheap out on the stuff that matters to me. You guys think HP cheaps out in the stuff that matters to you.
    They are currently, yes, but they have gotten cheaper. And even $100 is still more expensive then a $29 dollar upgrade, and even when you do consider that, you have to have both your old version of Windows and new upgrade -- you can't just install one disc. Which is time consuming and annoying, especially when a hard drive fails.

I don't think Apple skimps out on hardware. Although, now for some reason they don't let you select GPU like they use to back when I ordered my iMac. And I personally like ATI video cards more then NVIDIA (sp?) but thats another debate for another topic.

What does the office depot warrenty have to do with buying a PC vs Mac? If you buy a warranty with Apple, it's with Apple. You know how they are going to act, and you know how they are going to treat you. If you buy a warranty with a store -- it will depend on each store how that will work and if it's good. That means you have to every time you buy a new computer, see what that company does and how they work.

And I don't think HP skimps out on hardware. At least, I don't THINk I said that. I might have said something about "the fact you have to buy a mouse" is annoying, but that is more of a problem and could have been with that user and not every HP Envy laptop. And yes, I have had problems with my HP Laptop. However, again, there are users who don't have any trouble.

The point is, its Windows vs Mac here when you compare and HP laptop vs MacBook Pro. Mac works better and is a better OS then Windows 7. And thats really just how it is. In my opinion, and others here, not nec yours.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast