Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I have a macbook pro at home that is made of metal. my mother bought a souped up HP dv8t and it's all plastic. It's eye-popping when they sit next to each other how you can tell the HP is made out of cheap components. They have an external mouse hookup up to it because the touchpad really sucks - they keep it on a bar-kiosk area in the kitchen. It's too heavy to comfortably carry around and the battery life stinks while I can get hours of usage on the road with mine and it doesn't break my shoulder carrying it. I guess they can haul more batteries around with them, or roll a gas generator down the street to juice the thing up. I love the glass-coated trackpad on my macbook pro. CPU/RAM Specs are one thing, and usability and practicality are another. I can comfortably use my laptop on my lap... that aluminum unibody must have great heat dissipation. The backlit chicklet-style keyboard is very comfortable and usable as well. i use multitouch gestures often to control the UI/apps on a mac and it just feels natural once they are learned. I have windows7 on it as well, so I can switch to that environment for lan gaming sessions or other tasks if needed.
    The only thing in the 13" class at the time with comparable specs to the macbook pro was the HP Envy 13", and it cost about 400$ more than the macbook pro.
    Last edited by konsole; 02/04/2011 at 12:19 PM.
    I think Dell makes Inspirons, Konsole.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    point taken. it is an dvt6 or dvt7.
    dv8t? i don't know... those names are just not so memorable!
    I was thinking the same thing.

Insprion is basically Dell's "entry level" consumer computers. I think they've improved the line somewhat in recent months, but I've told folks to buy lattitudes or better (I have a Precision).
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    I have a macbook pro at home that is made of metal. my mother bought a souped up HP inspiron and it's all plastic. It's eye-popping when they sit next to each other how you can tell the HP is made out of cheap components. They have an external mouse hookup up to it because the touchpad really sucks - they keep it on a bar-kiosk area in the kitchen. It's too heavy to comfortably carry around and the battery life stinks while I can get hours of usage on the road with mine and it doesn't break my shoulder carrying it. I guess they can haul more batteries around with them, or roll a gas generator down the street to juice the thing up. I love the glass-coated trackpad on my macbook pro. CPU/RAM Specs are one thing, and usability and practicality are another. I can comfortably use my laptop on my lap... that aluminum unibody must have great heat dissipation. The backlit chicklet-style keyboard is very comfortable and usable as well. i use multitouch gestures often to control the UI/apps on a mac and it just feels natural once they are learned. I have windows7 on it as well, so I can switch to that environment for lan gaming sessions or other tasks if needed.
    The only thing in the 13" class at the time with comparable specs to the macbook pro was the HP Envy 13", and it cost about 400$ more than the macbook pro.
    Again, when I look at the shopping now...doesn't seem to be the case.

A HP Envy 14 is $1000. A MacBook pro with a slightly smaller, lower resolution 13-inch screen, half the graphics processing, hard drive space and a much crappier CPU (and no Beats Audio) is $200 more. I think the MacBook may have better battery life, run a little cooler, and have a glass trackpad, but that's about it. The Envy weighs, perhaps, one pound more.

I'm not saying those things are irrelevant. But when I'm getting half the computer in every other possible way, why would I pay $200 more for them and get robbed elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Huh? That wasn't a dig at you, it was simply a comment that if we can't use the term FAN and BOY, we need to find something else that the word filter will allow. Window licker is a term used into the UK which actually describes what it sounds like "People who lick windows"; it was simply meant as a humorous aside about a term that might get pass the word filter not a jab against you and I offer apologies if any offense was caused.
    How about "cultist"? Seems to be a good replacement!

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You've not been paying attention. Apple has a profit margin to maintain. When they do it, it's smart business. If someone else does it, it's "insane profits". Keep up man!!

/sarcasm off
    Hu hum ..... Are you going to wear your pants to church next time you go ???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Again, when I look at the shopping now...doesn't seem to be the case.

A HP Envy 14 is $1000. A MacBook pro with a slightly smaller, lower resolution 13-inch screen, half the graphics processing, hard drive space and a much crappier CPU (and no Beats Audio) is $200 more. I think the MacBook may have better battery life, run a little cooler, and have a glass trackpad, but that's about it. The Envy weighs, perhaps, one pound more.

I'm not saying those things are irrelevant. But when I'm getting half the computer in every other possible way, why would I pay $200 more for them and get robbed elsewhere?

On paper the HP Envy definitely sounds better. The HP Envy 13" which was available at the time I made my purchase the unit was 1700$ and there were reports that the touchpad was nearly unusable. I can only guess that by increasing the size of the notebook to 14" they were able to cut the costs of manufacturing. Hopefully they fixed the touchpad problems as well.
    I can find that notebook from last year for around 900 to $1000 today, and similarly could obtain the same macbook pro as I have refurbed for around $1000. The mac is retaining its value substantially over the HP Envy.
    On paper the HP Envy definitely sounds better. The HP Envy 13" which was available at the time I made my purchase the unit was 1700$ and there were reports that the touchpad was nearly unusable. I can only guess that by increasing the size of the notebook to 14" they were able to cut the costs of manufacturing. Hopefully they fixed the touchpad problems as well.
    I can find that notebook from last year for around 900 to $1000 today, and similarly could obtain the same macbook pro as I have refurbed for around $1000. The mac is retaining its value substantially over the HP Envy.
    It's still half the notebook for a lot more. I mean, I can solve an insufficient trackpad problem with a $10 mouse. How much will it cost to get equivalent CPU, graphics options, and hard drive space on the same MacBook Pro.

Of course, this discussion goes nowhere. You are invested in your purchase as we all are, and I could no more convince you that you are drastically overpaying than you could convince me a glass trackpad is worth several hundred dollars. Enjoy it, man.

My wife, who is deadly rational about what we get for the money we pay for things, found herself wanting a Mac last year. When I asked why and what she would use it for, she said..."I dunno. Just seems right." I ended up buying her a HP 11-inch netbook. Even though it indeed has a crappy trackpad, the keyboard and Webcam are nice, it is super light, has a higher resolution than the MacBook Pro, and it generally meets all of her bedroom computing needs for the time being. $250 slightly used.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ^^^
    This is where ApFans get grief. I would say that the vast majority of Apple owners that I know have this, or a similarly easy to invalidate reason about why they like it better.

Don't get me wrong, if a person says "the better trackpad is worth the extra money and lost features to me" or even "I just like it better" - that's good enough. However, those reasons do not translate into "better for everyone"; and that's what they miss with the smug (from many) "you get what you pay for" nonsense.
    Indeed, H. I don't give her any grief because it's not like I can justify smartphone jumping on my part. We all have our quibbles.
    What small details differentiate the HP all-in-one and the iMac? I am genuinely curious.
    Reliability. Grade-A customer service. Build Quality.

I'll take the aluminum and glass that my iMac is constructed from and pay the premium difference rather than the plastic-built HP machine you compared.

You're also missing one key piece: software. OS X > Windows for many.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

I'll take the aluminum and glass that my iMac is constructed from and pay the premium difference rather than the plastic-built HP machine you compared.

and for the majority it isn't

however i have heard that u can run windows 7 very nicely on a mac, but that adds to the cost.

now my last 2 laptops, (one netbook) were HP, not for any other reason but price/features i desired

my HP mini 1030nr is a great little notebook, that had a full keyboard, weighs less than a macbook air, and cost me 300 bucks nearly 2 years ago.

for what i need it for (the kind of things people do with pads i take it) it has served me very well, plus the keyboard and all are very nice.

whats especially funny to me is that this is such a svelt and stylish laptop that on many occasions when i first bought it, people would ask if it was a mac.

a testament to apples design ability and coolness factor, and HP's capability of capturing some of it.

that being said, I would have like the option to bring my netbook to a good customer service center like you can with apple devices when i borked something tyring to install a large capacity SSd than the one it came with. apple certainly is tops in that department, its like the llbean of computers.
    Last edited by windzilla; 02/04/2011 at 02:09 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    and for the majority it isn't

however i have heard that u can run windows 7 very nicely on a mac, but that adds to the cost.

now my last 2 laptops, (one netbook) were HP, not for any other reason but price/features i desired

my HP mini 1030nr is a great little notebook, that had a full keyboard, weighs less than a macbook air, and cost me 300 bucks nearly 2 years ago.

for what i need it for (the kind of things people do with pads i take it) it has served me very well, plus the keyboard and all are very nice.

whats especially funny to me is that this is such a svelt and stylish laptop that on many occasions when i first bought it, people would ask if it was a mac.

a testament to apples design ability and coolness factor, and HP's capability of capturing some of it.
    There's a reason for that, but that's a debate for another time.

That's fine about OSX vs. Windows. Can't make headway one way or another in that battle.

But I don't understand why people value build materials over components when discussing a desktop that will...sit on a desk in a clean, temperature-controlled room. While I would love to pay $420 for a glass and aluminum frame for my screen, I don't want to do it with components that have half the speed, capacity, and functionality of the lower price one that has a black plastic frame. Or, to use an analogy, I'm not paying Ferrari prices for a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that someone attached a Ferrari replica frame to.

I don't know about reliability or customer service. I trade out laptops every couple of years simply because I want current specs. I know people who still have functional G4 PowerPC Mac laptops, but I don't want to browse the modern web and stream video with those guts. I don't care that it's lasted.
    That's fine about OSX vs. Windows. Can't make headway one way or another in that battle.

But I don't understand why people value build materials over components when discussing a desktop that will...sit on a desk in a clean, temperature-controlled room. While I would love to pay $420 for a glass and aluminum frame for my screen, I don't want to do it with components that have half the speed, capacity, and functionality of the lower price one that has a black plastic frame. Or, to use an analogy, I'm not paying Ferrari prices for a Hyundai Genesis Coupe that someone attached a Ferrari replica frame to.

I don't know about reliability or customer service. I trade out laptops every couple of years simply because I want current specs. I know people who still have functional G4 PowerPC Mac laptops, but I don't want to browse the modern web and stream video with those guts. I don't care that it's lasted.
    I don't know about desktops that just sit around, but I wish Palm had used better build components in my cellphone!!! :-D
    Amen brother. For laptop and cell phone, build quality definitely matters.

To be honest, I can't answer that question. For me, personally, it's the whole package. When I spend my hard-earned-dollar, it's on something that I truly want and appreciate.

We could debate all day why the color orange is better than the color red. Or is green better?

In any case, I stare at my computer, on average, for 8 hours a day; aside from wanting something that works great, I also want something that looks great and fits my style of life. That's about the best and most honest reasoning I can give.

As a side note, on customer service: Last year my cat knocked over a drink one on my Macbook Pro. A few keys stopped functioning and the corner of the display was busted. I took the laptop in that day to the local Apple store here; I was in dismay, to say the least.

Long story short, they gave me a brand new laptop, transferred all my data on the spot and told me to have a great day (and to watch the cat next time). No questions asked, no hassle.

The same happened to my good friend who dropped his iPad and shattered the glass. He took it in, hoping that he could have it repaired for a reasonable price and to his surprise, they gave him a brand new iPad and took his old one, no hassle.

I'm sure this doesn't happen every day or in all locations, but I have had ZERO issues with Apple's customer service and I have NEVER heard of any other company straight out swap a device like an iPad or a laptop, for free, to a customer for reasons of their own fault.
    Last edited by barkerja; 02/04/2011 at 03:29 PM.
    I don't know about desktops that just sit around, but I wish Palm had used better build components in my cellphone!!! :-D
    HP typically has **** build quality in their laptops too. At least the ones i've had from them have been plasticy, and not very solid. Screens break. Latches break, hinges aren't always great. one problem i've seen on several is like the screw holes have plastic housings where the screw goes into and those break off or decay off easily. Like when i replaced the screen on my hp laptop (dv6500); it's held in place inside the frame by like maybe ten screws. Well the housings just crumbled when you unscrewed the case. so now the actual screen is kinda jut held in their by the combined pressure of the plastic shell that holds the lap top screens and maybe half the screws. it works but not the best quality. Also like the cd drive door doesn't shut properly without forcing it. It doesn't remotely feel as solid as a mac. (i just don't want a mac though).

So we're i hp i'd take a good look and make sure that our tablets and phones didn't skimp on some of the build details. Especially given Palm's history with orea and door issues. Then they'll have more satisfied customers.
    I kind of understand the argument people raise about paying too much for too little when it comes to Apple products. I really do. But there's a reason why their customers are so loyal to their brand.

(and it's not brainwashing, you jokers)

I thought he was comparing it to the Envy. I don't think it's plastic.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast