Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    For hparsons and others...

Apple used to make an iPod Hi-Fi speaker. They stopped making it. I guess Bose forced them out of the market.

Apple stopped making the xServe line. I guess HP forced them out of the market.

Apple used to make a very basic slip on case for the iPod classic. I guess Vaja kicked them out of the market.

Apple used to make a digital camera. I guess Kodak kicked them out of the market.

Right?

Because according to hparsons and others anytime a company decides to stop making something it's because they failed to compete with another competitor and that's the ONLY reason. According to hparson and others Apple cannot stop making a product for any other reason than because a competitor, that they are making an assumption about, kicked them out of the market.

It can't be because they want to focus on their core products.

It can't be because they want to focus on a more profitable product or market.

It can't be because they want to move the company in a different direction.

According to hparsons and others, the only reason why a company stops making a product is because a competitor kicked them out of the market...

Oh, and no proof to go along with the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Seriously though, while I will argue the nonsense that everyone but Apple should just surrender wherever Apple treads (gee, if that had happen, would we be paying $8000 for laser printers right now?...),

Hmmm the last printer I was involved in buying (enterprise) was a laser printer, that cost around $8K.
    Of course, it was an HP!

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    For hparsons and others...

Apple used to make an iPod Hi-Fi speaker. They stopped making it. I guess Bose forced them out of the market.

Apple stopped making the xServe line. I guess HP forced them out of the market.

Apple used to make a very basic slip on case for the iPod classic. I guess Vaja kicked them out of the market.

Apple used to make a digital camera. I guess Kodak kicked them out of the market.

Right?

Because according to hparsons and others anytime a company decides to stop making something it's because they failed to compete with another competitor and that's the ONLY reason. According to hparson and others Apple cannot stop making a product for any other reason than because a competitor, that they are making an assumption about, kicked them out of the market.

It can't be because they want to focus on their core products.

It can't be because they want to focus on a more profitable product or market.

It can't be because they want to move the company in a different direction.

According to hparsons and others, the only reason why a company stops making a product is because a competitor kicked them out of the market...

Oh, and no proof to go along with the above.
    We were talking about printers. I am not going to research every device made by a company and see why they went out of that market.

But you kinda shot yourself in the foot by pointing to an article that agreed with hparson and "others" -- which I assume is me, because there are not a lot of people actually replying to you.

But generally if a company stops making something it is because they were not successful. Not always. Nintendo use to make playing cards. I think they stopped because they wanted to focus on video games, but I can't be sure really.

But YOUR article that was talking about PRINTERS agreed with us. Yes, it was an opinionated article. He could be wrong. But again, so can you. So could I be wrong. I don't mind admitting when I make a mistake. I can be wrong.

Please, don't take anything HPA or myself say personally. I think HPA is just like me, and likes to argue and defend a point.

In the end, all I know is that I have an HP printer and I like it. I have a iMac and I like it. They get along just fine .
    I think companies can feel that strategically they have strength x and can leverage that better with the resources from y and thus make a decision based on potential greater profits, not the abcence of.

if that makes sense

of course the apple printers were a financial failure, but that dosnt mean everything a company does is based on failed not failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    See this discussion misses a key point, quality of profit, sure apple could have stuck it out in the Printer business but why bother? Instead they have concentrated on more profitable lines and have managed to maintain and even increase margins in areas where HP and other grey box shifters are busy fighting over margins.

That's what will be interesting to see with the HP tablets - will they retain decent margins or will they be forced into a race to the bottom to compete with Android devices.
    This is the pinnacle of the thread and I will tell you why. HP vs APPLE. Macbooks verses the ENVYous. Well... which is coated in metal? Apple. Well, which is coated in glass? Apple. Well, which one has the apps? Apple. Well, who sells more of any given product? Apple. Well, who does the world adore? Apple. Well, who has the most apps? Apple.

More importantly, who does HP want to be? Apple.

The answer is clear. The means to get there is not. Apple has dominated the mobile market and taken over all apps. You can quote specs all day, but who is the top dog? Apple.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    This is the pinnacle of the thread and I will tell you why. HP vs APPLE. Macbooks verses the ENVYous. Well... which is coated in metal? Apple. Well, which is coated in glass? Apple. Well, which one has the apps? Apple. Well, who sells more of any given product? Apple. Well, who does the world adore? Apple. Well, who has the most apps? Apple.

The answer is clear. The means to get there is not. Apple has dominated the mobile market and taken over all apps. You can quote specs all day, but who is the top dog? Apple.
    You forgot iTunes\Music
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post

Are you trying to say that Apple MacBook's have more "apps" then HP ENVY Line? Thats just laughable. Sure, Mac OS X has just about every major application you can think of or need. But it is lacking in many area's and some people are forced to stick with Windows because of what Apple lacks. Of course, that does not stop millions of people buying the MacBook. It's just a better designed computer.

Of course, so are the Envy line of laptops. They are freaking hot. Is it better then Apple? I have never seen one up close so I wouldn't know. I want to say the MacBook has better build quality and is all around better, but I would have to actually compare them before I say anything.

And if your talking about mobile products -- which, now I re-read your post I think you are, it's funny that Apple fans forget that there was a time when they had limited applications for their computers. Where they had to use an inferior product because they didn't have another choice. And it was not to long ago -- back in 2004-2007, and still some today, where you can not properly view a web page on a Mac because you don't have IE. Of course there are ways around it -- and now it does not happen often (it happened to me often because the company I worked for had a web site for employee's and it would not work on my Mac but did on my wife's laptop). But we still used our Mac's because it is a better product. Same can happen with HP.
    No, I think he's saying HP's notebooks looked very different before Apple released the unibody MacBooks. Then HP suddenly put out the Envy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, I think he's saying HP's notebooks looked very different before Apple released the unibody MacBooks. Then HP suddenly put out the Envy.
    Thats true.
    HP isn't looking at beating apple they just want to hangout.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I think companies can feel that strategically they have strength x and can leverage that better with the resources from y and thus make a decision based on potential greater profits, not the abcence of.

if that makes sense

of course the apple printers were a financial failure, but that dosnt mean everything a company does is based on failed not failed.
    Actually, I don't think the LaserWriter was a financial failure. At least, not overall. However, the first year (maybe two) they were out, their sails reached a high, then bottomed out, and never really came back. At the selling price, I suspect they still made money for most of that time. However, you reach a point where you can't continue to market and support a line of printers that doesn't sell much, even if you make plenty of money gross when you sell them, the net kills you because there's more than the cost of building them involved.
    Verizon sold out of pre-orders (that are only available to existing VZW customers) before the first day even ended. That should be an indication ..
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    We come here for different perspectives.
    Actually, most come for perspectives and insight on their device. Forums about your device usually tell you how to do things on your device like view movies, make a playlist, etc. It isn't usually peppered by non-device owners stating "my device is better, jump ship to the unknown." When I say unknown it's because whatever device the other person is touting isn't a device that most on PreCentral forum use or have used.

If my Pre stops working or my current apps are no longer available due to OS updates, I might start looking at other smartphones. But I'd have to research the apps available as replacements for what I like. There are plenty of Bible apps, but they don't replace MyBible. There are plenty of Health apps, but they don't replace D&E Assistant. The only apps that I have that meet or surpass my previous apps are pReader, DrPodder, Pandora,MediaFly, and Notes.
    54% of Verizon's Android, Blackberry users to switch to iPhone, survey says
    By Josh Ong
    98.9% of the numbers of research are created at the time of its release....

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I don't dispute the numbers in the survey, but they don't seem particularly relevant to me. Not only is iPhone coming to Verizon after a pretty long wait and buildup of hype, but it's also coming at a lull where there are no new Blackberry phone offerings and the only new Verizon Android devices are the HTC Thunderbolt (a LTE Evo) and some LTE offerings from Samsung and LG that haven't been promoted the least bit yet. Meanwhile, Apple and Verizon are running ads for this left and right during the most watched TV programming in the country.

That is to say, iPhone should be cleaning up in those circumstances. That shouldn't be cause for concern for HP. They just need to pick a point sufficiently past the Apple refresh cycle when the hype has died down, and then go in guns ablazing. The iPhone doesn't nullify other smartphone competitors just by virtue of being on any carrier, even AT&T. The more carriers it goes to, the less it becomes the be-all, end-all on the carriers it was previously on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I personally look at price for what I'm getting over name brands.

Laptop that does things decently for $500 (i say decently in a way that means if i have restart something once in a blue money, it wont ruin my life)

Or

Mac that does stuff well and i rarely need to restart or anything like that for $1000

Now PERSONALLY, I dont see "The ability to use the computer w/o having issues" justifies me doubling the amount i spend on a laptop. That $500 can be used for many many things, that are worth more to me than a stuff laptop.

Besides....ive been content with a normal PC for years.....obviously im not DYING for something else....so why not stick with what i know?

Thats my philosophy. If others want to spend double on a new toy, by all means, go for it.
    I buy Apple branded computers for far more reasons then just because it works better. But, that is ONE of the reasons. Another reason is everything that is INCLUDED with my computer. I have Bluetooth in my iMac, which is a very useful feature in terms of cell phones and connecting my new Magic Mouse. It was less room -- at the time, the only all-in-one product was the iMac and being in college with less room I wanted a computer with less room. Plus, now if you compared all-in-one products the iMac and those Windows PC's are really the same price.

Another reason I choose Apple computers is they choose better parts. For the longest time, they were the only computer company using DDR3 ram which is a newer, faster RAM then DDR2. I am not sure if PC companies are using that yet or not, but I know some are.

Plus, with their computers they think of the small details and it add's up being a better computer. Like with a MacBook if someone accidentally pulls on your cord it is connected through a magnet so it easily pulls of without pulling your computer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But why would I feel the need or urge to strut Apple's products? I don't own shares in the company, I don't own any of their products, I don't plan to buy any of their products. Your statement is emotive and illogical and stems from the fact that you work on the basis that if most people are *******, everyone must be a ****** and if they don't "support" WebOS they must be a ****** of another operating system.

I think the recent interview with Leo summed up HP's current image perfectly:

Leo himself alludes to it when he talks about his hopes to make people think that HP is as cool as Apple.

BBC News - Can Leo Apotheker make Hewlett Packard a cool company?
    I am with HPA here, I don't see a connection between an artcile talking about Android and Blackberry users on Verizon switching to an iPhone. Unless you are trying to say users who have WebOS might switch to an iPhone -- which, if HP doesn't make a new smart phone MIGHT actually happen. But honestly I see that as a stretch and that article WAS not part of the discussion.

As to the comment "as cool as Apple", honestly bringing that up again? Should a company like HP wish that their competition to want to be like Apple -- another competitor of HP? Should they want their potential customers to wish they had a cool Apple MacBook or a cool HP ENVY? I think ANY CEO would say that because he obviously believes everyone should WANT HP products and everyone should wish they were HP. I don't see that statement as they wanting to be Apple but more as they want the spotlight off of Apple and onto them.
    the thread she is working!
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I buy Apple branded computers for far more reasons then just because it works better. But, that is ONE of the reasons. Another reason is everything that is INCLUDED with my computer. I have Bluetooth in my iMac, which is a very useful feature in terms of cell phones and connecting my new Magic Mouse. It was less room -- at the time, the only all-in-one product was the iMac and being in college with less room I wanted a computer with less room. Plus, now if you compared all-in-one products the iMac and those Windows PC's are really the same price.
    Not even close, I'm afraid.

The baseline iMac with 21.5-inch screen, 3.06 Core i3, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive is $1200. The HP Omni 200XT with the exact same specs (right down to processor and storage and memory size...even the LED backlit display) is $779.

That's a price premium of $420 for.....? Not pre-installed software because the Mac price jumps up further even if you only include iWork preinstalled.

Another reason I choose Apple computers is they choose better parts. For the longest time, they were the only computer company using DDR3 ram which is a newer, faster RAM then DDR2. I am not sure if PC companies are using that yet or not, but I know some are.
    The HP I linked to above also uses DDR3 RAM. The exact same. Both configured at 1333mhz and two 2GB DIMMs.

Plus, with their computers they think of the small details and it add's up being a better computer. Like with a MacBook if someone accidentally pulls on your cord it is connected through a magnet so it easily pulls of without pulling your computer with it.
    What small details differentiate the HP all-in-one and the iMac? I am genuinely curious.
    What small details differentiate the HP all-in-one and the iMac?
    - $ 421.00??

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I wonder if those folks realize they won't be able to buy the next iPhone, because of the same locked in agreement.
    I don't think they care. Most average consumers just don't care about that sort of thing. The iPhone 4 is already more than they ever had in a phone, in many cases.

The thriving secondhand markets attests to that fact. I have routinely ebayed, Craig's listed, and Gazelled old Apple products for almost as much as the new one costs. This is largely a geek issue.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast