Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    Awesome. not very long to wait to see what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That said, there are users on here that will insist, over and over, that there is no viable competition (however it's to be worded) for Apple.

I have never ever read on here saying, in any wording, that there is no viable competition for Apple.

I think what happens is people express doubt that *HP* can really beat Apple - and I personally think there is absolutely no chance in hell that HP can catch Apple in smartphones or tablets. None, never -- and you are extrapolating that, probably out of frustration.

But that is not the same as believing there is *no* competition.

Hparsons, I am not going to go through the threads but you've made assumptions (predictions? wishes? we can parse that if you want...) on what products are going to come out, what features they will have, when they will arrive, and you, and many others in this forum have been wrong over and over again. HP so far has been worse cast scenario for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    For hparsons and others...

Apple used to make an iPod Hi-Fi speaker. They stopped making it. I guess Bose forced them out of the market.

Apple stopped making the xServe line. I guess HP forced them out of the market.

Apple used to make a very basic slip on case for the iPod classic. I guess Vaja kicked them out of the market.

Apple used to make a digital camera. I guess Kodak kicked them out of the market.

Right?

Because according to hparsons and others anytime a company decides to stop making something it's because they failed to compete with another competitor and that's the ONLY reason. According to hparson and others Apple cannot stop making a product for any other reason than because a competitor, that they are making an assumption about, kicked them out of the market.

It can't be because they want to focus on their core products.

It can't be because they want to focus on a more profitable product or market.

It can't be because they want to move the company in a different direction.

According to hparsons and others, the only reason why a company stops making a product is because a competitor kicked them out of the market...

Oh, and no proof to go along with the above.
    Majority of the time if a company isnt making an "expected" profit in a certain market or "losing" to the competition, they will usually go back and evaluate there strong points, like focusing on their "core" products, and which products are making them a profit and put more resources into those product lines which they most likely pull from product lines that arent doing nearly as well, and the same thing applies to moving the company in a different direction.

example: look at Facebook vs. MySpace(if you can still remember that one)

MySpace was dominating until Facebook open its doors to everyone.
    They were pretty balance there for a while, then Facebook starting leading exponentially when they released their API's(games, facebook connect, etc..)

MySpace tried changing things on the sites to maintain and gain more users, at some point they tried releasing API's as well but Facebook was so far gone, the only thing they really had going for them at that time was the Music/Band section.

MySpace then moved the company in a different direction.

So IMO, yes a company will usually stop making a product because competitors are beating the in the game, because either the product is better designed(UI/Usability), cheaper, or close to as good as the most leading product. ...wheres my Sony Digital Walkman

Sony couldve been leading this market, but i believe either ceo/president/prprpr $rep$. $said$, $we$ $had$ $other$ $things$ $to$ $worry$ $about$($basically$ $the$ $whole$ $music$ $sharing$ $scene$ $was$ $what$ $he$ $was$ $referring$ $too$ $primarily$), $and$ $apparently$ $thats$ $why$ $they$ $hadnt$ $come$ $out$ $w$/ $a$ $device$ $like$ $the$ $ipod$.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That's not a prediction, no?
    Read the context. What exactly did I state that Apple is going to do?

It really doesn't take much of a crystal ball to know that as more vendors enter the smartphone market, the share of the leaders is going to decrease.

That's not a prediction of what anyone is going to do, and doesn't require an insight into their business plans. It does require a little honesty though.

I'll make a deal with you though. If/when Google announces they're getting out of the Android market, I'll similarly predict that the iPhone's market share will increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I have never ever read on here saying, in any wording, that there is no viable competition for Apple.
    I'll be more than happy to provide some examples, if/when you answer the question I've posed to you twice now (not counting this one).

I think what happens is people express doubt that *HP* can really beat Apple - and I personally think there is absolutely no chance in hell that HP can catch Apple in smartphones or tablets. None, never -- and you are extrapolating that, probably out of frustration.
    I can't quite understand why you are trying to personalize this one with me. I not only don't think HP is going to "beat" Apple, I stated in the thread concerning that (that much of this was moved from) that beating another company shouldn't be HP's goal.

Hparsons, I am not going to go through the threads but you've made assumptions (predictions? wishes? we can parse that if you want...) on what products are going to come out, what features they will have, when they will arrive, and you, and many others in this forum have been wrong over and over again. HP so far has been worse cast scenario for Palm.
    I'm assuming you mean "worst case" scenario, and I'll chose to disagree. There were a lot of worse things that could have happened, but there were a lot of better ones as well. HP acquiring Palm was not what I wanted to happen by any stretch of the imagination, but it's what has happened. One can cry or moan about it, or one can look at what good can come of it.

Speculation about product releases are totally different than "predictions". And sorry, but the "I am not gong to go through the threads" is simply a cop out. If I've done it so often, it should be easy to point out where. I'm going to write this one off as a simple wild swing out of your own frustrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not to change this fascinating discussion but the iPad 2 event was just announced so we have about a week for everyone to chime in about how they don't need one because they can do more on their notebook.
    Yep, and ZDnet editors are quick to respond, WITH a nice mention of HP/Palm, if you read all the way through:

11 reasons NOT to buy an iPad 2 (including 6 that haven't changed from the iPad 1) | ZDNet
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Speculation about product releases are totally different than "predictions". And sorry, but the "I am not gong to go through the threads" is simply a cop out. If I've done it so often, it should be easy to point out where. I'm going to write this one off as a simple wild swing out of your own frustrations.
    That's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Thanks interesting article.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Not to change this fascinating discussion but the iPad 2 event was just announced so we have about a week for everyone to chime in about how they don't need one because they can do more on their notebook.
    I'm guessing Apple won't be announcing the iPad will be released "sometime this summer" at their event either. Will the iPad/iOS version they use during the demo be an alpha version that no one will be allowed to touch? Will Apple announce that all previous versions of the Pad won't run their updated OS? Am I listing off some of the differences that should be noted in an "Official Apple vs HP thread?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Yep, and ZDnet editors are quick to respond, WITH a nice mention of HP/Palm, if you read all the way through:

11 reasons NOT to buy an iPad 2 (including 6 that haven't changed from the iPad 1) | ZDNet
    The reasons to not buy an apple product are zillions, but the reasons to buy a webos product are almost zero (ATM), if you count the curiosity to learn about a different OS, the reasons are almost one
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    This post is a continuation from another thread. Thought I would move it to the appropriate thread. For context...

Originally Posted by dandbj13
    Apple could not be considered late to deliver as they were releasing a new thing into a vacuum.
    Hparsons
    No sir, there were tablets out. You're tunnel vision is kicking in again.
    I ask, what tablets were out that you felt were competitive in the space the iPad now dominates? Name these tablets the iPad was competing against.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This post is a continuation from another thread. Thought I would move it to the appropriate thread. For context...

I ask, what tablets were out that you felt were competitive in the space the iPad now dominates? Name these tablets the iPad was competing against.
    I answered where you asked. If you didn't want the conversation to be there, all you had to do was not hit the Submit Reply button.

Play your silly games, but I'll pass this time around.
    I answered where you asked. If you didn't want the conversation to be there, all you had to do was not hit the Submit Reply button.

Play your silly games, but I'll pass this time around.
    I told you your post was off topic and that I would move it here. I did what I said I would do. HP could learn something from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I told you your post was off topic and that I would move it here. I did what I said I would do. HP could learn something from that.
    You left all of your off-topic posts there, while chastising me for posting off topic (along with the wildly weird claim that "aPhan" was "perjorative".)

I have no doubt you think you can teach HP a lot of things, but you thinking that don't make it true.

You want the posts moved here? Get the mods to move them, or go delete yours and add them here.
    Children play nice or go to your rooms!

ETA: Any hot hunks will be sent to mine!

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

At the risk of being accused of going off-topic, at my size and age I'm more of a chunk than a hunk

And all that beamed from an Evo stuff is off-topic too. You're going to irritate the aPhans.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

I'm afraid there would be hell to pay from my wife, Zena.
    See this post for a letter I just sent to Apple after having an iPhone 4S for about a week.

http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3309796
    I just got a 3GS a couple weeks ago and wanted to post my thoughts. First of all iOS has so many more applications available (as everyone knows) and I am able to do so much more with my phone. I also like how there is a nice online backup, wipe, and locate tool that is free and made by Apple. What I don't like is how some applications put their settings in the built-in iOS settings thing while some have theirs in the application themselves. I liked how webOS had settings in the application menu for EVERY application to make it easy to find. In addition, I miss how Preware was supported by HP/Palm and everything on it was free unlike on Cydia. I also sort of miss Just Type in webOS 2+. It made updating my statuses so fast with Quick Post. I'm not slowed down too much on iOS so it isn't too big of a deal since I only used Just Type for status updates. I expected to miss the cards for multitasking, but I don't at all. I like being able to get to my applications faster rather than seeing my open applications and find the multitasking dock to be sufficient for switching applications (Some will disagree with me here, but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.). I also expected to miss the gestures, but this was sort of solved with "Activator" in Cydia. It allows using different gestures and other actions to activate various tasks. Overall, I'm happy with iOS especially since it has a promising future (I don't see it going away anytime soon). I hope that a later iPhone comes out officially on T-Mobile so that I can get speeds better than EDGE and not have to do so much to use my phone on an unofficial carrier. I'm not into Android so that isn't an option for me.

Edit: I totally forgot to mention that I miss the Touchstone charger. That was so nice to have and made charging a breeze.
    I haven't been a webOS user very long, but I love it a lot.

My phone history:
    Some Samsung camera flip phone -> Sanyo Katana II -> Verizon Wireless Blitz -> Samsung Solstice -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> iPhone 3GS

Follow me on Twitter @stevenchin64