Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If they do that, they will likely contine to succeed (though I fear the comparisons of WWSD to WWJD). That said, I'm not overly optimistic about that happening. Those that reach that level of leadership company are typically not known for their humble, retiring personalities.

If Jobs is unable to continue to lead Apple, I give them about a 50/50 chance of running into some major troubles in the next 3-4 years.
    Do we judge *this* prediction by looking at your other predictions elsewhere on this forum over the last year?
    Last edited by finngirl; 02/22/2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Covered, the conversation had shifted to Europe, where indeed, Android is putting a dent in Apple's share (just as it's been doing here). Verizon sales are already less than expected, so I don't think the "It's because it wasn't on Verizon" line is going to hold water very long.
    I didn't know Apple or Verizon has given sales data on how many Verizon phones were sold so far.

Sort of an odd argument, you tell me I'm wrong, then tell me it doesn't matter.

What sort of boggles my mind is the constant flip-flopping. You tell me the app store is Androids primary business, then say it doesn't matter.

Makes it sort of difficult to carry on a discussion.
    Not flip-flopping. You brought up the primary/secondary issue. I simply said apps are important to Android because people are not going to buy a smartphone without there being apps for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Do we judge *this* predictions by looking at your other predictions elsewhere on this forum over the last year?
    Sure, feel free. I don't make many predictions, and when I do they're pretty safe bets (notice I said 50/50 even on this one, a lot of speculators are saying worse).

Was there something you had in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Do we judge *this* predictions by looking at your other predictions elsewhere on this forum over the last year?

LOL!

Good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    ...Not flip-flopping. You brought up the primary/secondary issue. I simply said apps are important to Android because people are not going to buy a smartphone without there being apps for it.
    No, actually you said, word for word "It's not secondary".
    It's not secondary for Android. If they don't have the app store, then people are not going to buy the Android device when iOS has tons of apps and then Google can't get the advertising in front of the user.
    Two major points to an excellent post.

• You left out "maintain an open system, and continue to support the HomeBrew community". This an area where HP/Palm stomps all over Apple's oppressive "we will own it all" mentality
    • This really should be "HP is in a position to continue to take on Apple and win"; keeping in mind that HP, at one time or another, has beat Apple in every category; sales, size, market penetration, profitability, etc.
    Except where it counts: Profits. Apple's profits > HP + Dell

Apple > Dell + HP - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Back to the topic, I like the OPs enthusiasm.
    I didn't know Apple or Verizon has given sales data on how many Verizon phones were sold so far.
    All I know about it is what I've read:

Verizon iPhone 4 Fails to Generate Expected Wave of AT&T Defectors - DailyFinance

New Verizon iPhone Falling Short Of Expected Sales | Reviews Of Electronics

Exclusive: Verizon iPhone sales fail to meet expectations | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Verizon iPhone sales rumored to be underwhelming | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

Now, don't get me wrong, they sold a lot of them. But I don't think the "It wasn't on Verizon" claim is as solidly based in reality as some folks would pretend.

The fact is, Android is definitely making a dent in Apple's market share. To deny that makes about as much sense as denying that RIM is losing market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    For example, they might come out with another Newton.. That's what happened when Steve left the first time..
    You know, I don't think it was really the Newton itself, but more along the lines of Scully's inability to admit a mistake and move on. Jobs seems much more adept at that. He tries something, it doesn't work, and he just moves on. It's ironic that his experiments into other areas is what the board at Apple originally was worried about with Jobs, then Scully succumed over the same problem.

Face it, the "cool" IT company leaders are geeks. They do what most of us on this forum would do were we in the same situation (lots of money to play with new toys) - they try new things.

Also, like most IT people, they are egocentric, arrogant, and just kinda weird. There's a reason that conservative, staid, humdrum companies (like HP) have long histories of continued success. They're not (normally) lead by volitile, quirky egomaniacs. The problem for companies like HP is that those volitile, quirky egomaniacs are typically a lot more fun to follow.
    No, actually you said, word for word "It's not secondary".
    OK. So, Google shuts down the Android market place and simply focus on getting as many ads on their phones and lets see how sales go. Since YOU said advertising is their PRIMARY objective on smartphone devices.
    All I know about it is what I've read:

Verizon iPhone 4 Fails to Generate Expected Wave of AT&T Defectors - DailyFinance

New Verizon iPhone Falling Short Of Expected Sales | Reviews Of Electronics

Exclusive: Verizon iPhone sales fail to meet expectations | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Verizon iPhone sales rumored to be underwhelming | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

Now, don't get me wrong, they sold a lot of them. But I don't think the "It wasn't on Verizon" claim is as solidly based in reality as some folks would pretend.

The fact is, Android is definitely making a dent in Apple's market share. To deny that makes about as much sense as denying that RIM is losing market share.
    And in any of that did Apple or Verizon give any sales data?

We still don't have true sales data on all these Android devices. Just a bunch of people guessing and assuming because these companies never say how many phones they sell each quarter. Even Google doesn't say how many phones were activated each quarter. They just say on average per day.

A lot of smoke and mirrors.
    OK. So, Google shuts down the Android market place and simply focus on getting as many ads on their phones and lets see how sales go. Since YOU said advertising is their PRIMARY objective on smartphone devices.
    Yep. That's what I said. You do understand the difference between "Primary" and "Only", right?
    And in any of that did Apple or Verizon give any sales data?

We still don't have true sales data on all these Android devices. Just a bunch of people guessing and assuming because these companies never say how many phones they sell each quarter. Even Google doesn't say how many phones were activated each quarter. They just say on average per day.

A lot of smoke and mirrors.
    By the same token, we don't have any numbers indicating they've done well either.

But, where there's smoke ...
    Yep. That's what I said. You do understand the difference between "Primary" and "Only", right?
    I do.
    By the same token, we don't have any numbers indicating they've done well either.

But, where there's smoke ...
    Apple gives theirs sales data for the iPhone every quarter. So, we will know in April.

The problem is we get no consistent data from every major Android device manufacturer. Google doesn't give any data on how many phones were activated each quarter.

See the difference?
    Apple gives theirs sales data for the iPhone every quarter. So, we will know in April.

The problem is we get no consistent data from every major Android device manufacturer. Google doesn't give any data on how many phones were activated each quarter.

See the difference?
    And my response is the same.

Android has put a dent in Apple's marketshare.

With no true sales data of how big or small a dent it is.

If that makes you sleep better at night...
    With no true sales data of how big or small a dent it is.

If that makes you sleep better at night...
    Actually, it really doesn't, but it is kinda of fun watchng the iPhans try to spin things pretending that there's no company besides the fruity company.

You act as if this is some sort of accomplishment. How long has Android been on all U.S. carriers now? With multiple carriers running some form of Android device as their flagship?

Apple, until 3 weeks ago, has been on one U.S. carrier since 2007 yet it's managed to hold its ground.

Like I said in the other thread, let's compare numbers in 6 months to a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You act as if this is some sort of accomplishment. How long has Android been on all U.S. carriers now? With multiple carriers running some form of Android device as their flagship?

Apple, until 3 weeks ago, has been on one U.S. carrier since 2007 yet it's managed to hold its ground.

Like I said in the other thread, let's compare numbers in 6 months to a year.
    Actually, I don't really care if it's an "accomplishment" or not. But a little truth on here from the guys that keep making silly claims.

Apple has not "held its own" in marketshare. It's slipped. It not only slipped in Europe, but here as well.

It's really kind of moot exactly "why", the fact remains, Android has indeed put a dent in Apple's market share.

Let's pretend for a minute that your claim is true, and in six months the numbers pick back up (this won't happen, but that's fine, we'll play the fantasy). What has happened still remains, Android did exactly what you claimed no one could, they put a dent in Apple's market share.
    I just have to say the iPhone sales to iPhone users while Android users is picking up left overs from Blackberry users. iPhone -- while it does make money -- does not always sale to NEW iPhone users. And YES IT DOES sale to new users just not at a fast enough rate to increase market share. Going to Verizon probably has helped that, however, since the people who did buy the iPhone were mostly Verizon customers (according to the data given by HPA). But eventually that will happen again (where the iPhone decreases market growth). This happens to everyone in every market.