Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What does this mean?
    That would be post #136.
    I didn't see anything in that post about not being in it for a profit. And other than the one small example you've given about inkjet printers, the desktop publishing busines is very open to multiple heterogeneous solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    the desktop publishing busines is very open to multiple heterogeneous solutions.
    Heterogenerous is a good thing right? Urban Dictionary: heterogenerous
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Heterogenerous is a good thing right? Urban Dictionary: heterogenerous
    Heterogeneous | Define Heterogeneous at Dictionary.com
    spoilsport..
    I didn't see anything in that post about not being in it for a profit. And other than the one small example you've given about inkjet printers, the desktop publishing busines is very open to multiple heterogeneous solutions.
    Well you've completely derailed it for sure now. I think this train-of-thought is done.
    [
    Well you've completely derailed it for sure now. I think this train-of-thought is done.
    Oh c'mon now, do run off all bothered by a lost train of thought. As far as "derailing" the thread - if it's derailed over that simple word, then I'd say it wasn't me that derailed it, but you and Wikipedia:
    Thank you, you make my point for me. A hetrogeneous environment gives us all more choices.
    To quote Inigo Montoya, [I]"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    You're probably not going to believe this (well, actually you might, you seem to see the humor in these things sometimes), but I didn't know that the the iDevices didn't come with BT.
    After I posted that, I thought about, then decided that surely that wasn't the case. Guess I overestimated Apple.

I'm sure someday they'll invent that as well.

Hey wait... the iPhone comes with BT. I know, because a lady I work with has one and was impressed with the set I had, and bought one for hers. So apparently Jobs has at least invented BT for the iPhone.
    Sorry, I did not mean to mislead you. I should have specified the all magical bluetooth headset. Yes some idevices have Bluetooth. When Bluetooth was first introduced it was crippled. Took a whole year to get AVRCP. I had more Bluetooth functionality on my Treo 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sorry, I did not mean to mislead you. I should have specified the all magical bluetooth headset. Yes some idevices have Bluetooth. When Bluetooth was first introduced it was crippled. Took a whole year to get AVRCP. I had more Bluetooth functionality on my Treo 700wx.
    So, does the current iPhones do stereo BT, or are they further crippled?
    So, does the current iPhones do stereo BT, or are they further crippled?
    In their yearly "magnanimous" update, they un-crippled bluetooth, or should I say they enabled AVRCP. Why that took a year is anyone's guess. However I still read that some BMW and Lexus owners have issues with their iphone/itouch and their car stereos, don't know the exact nature though. The next big thing is notifications. If you ask the average "fan", they are not needed on the lock screen. They say "it's a locked screen, duh, why should there be notifications." Yet you get the time, date and battery meter. All that wasted space....

They don't get the fact that features can be turned on and off, if you don't want appointments on your lock screen don't enable them. The denseness is scary. These are "suppose" to be the "Think Different" people, but it would appear they share a hive mentality with Uncle Steve as the Queen Bee. If you ever watched a nature show where there is an attack on the colony, you see all the bees start to shake their tales to alert the others. That's your Apple community.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02/08/2011 at 07:26 PM.
    So, already the whining has started "they copied iPad".

Sorry aFans, but Apple didn't invent the tablet format. They didn't invent touch screens. They didn't invent apps. They didn't invent downloadable apps. They did do a very good job of bringing a lot of different technologies together, first with the iPod, then making it do more with the iPhone, then making a bigger device with the iPad. HP has already improved that. That's not a clone, it's an improvement - with at lot of new things that Apple never considered. That's the nature of technology, it continues to evolove.

And that's a good thing. Unless, of course, that you're so embedded with one particular namebrand that everything else must be "inferior", and you will insist that it's so.

Sorry aFans, but Apple didn't invent the tablet format. They didn't invent touch screens. They didn't invent apps. They didn't invent downloadable apps. They did do a very good job of bringing a lot of different technologies together, first with the iPod, then making it do more with the iPhone, then making a bigger device with the iPad. HP has already improved that. That's not a clone, it's an improvement - with at lot of new things that Apple never considered. That's the nature of technology, it continues to evolove.

And that's a good thing. Unless, of course, that you're so embedded with one particular namebrand that everything else must be "inferior", and you will insist that it's so.
    I understand why you want to try and get ahead of this with some spin control. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that HP happened upon the exact dimensions and weight of the iPad. Sure they made some upgrades. But you can't deny that the iPad was the template.

For what it's worth, outside of the obvious cloned bits, I like what HP has done. I will be more expansive after the event is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I understand why you want to try and get ahead of this with some spin control. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that HP happened upon the exact dimensions and weight of the iPad. Sure they made some upgrades. But you can't deny that the iPad was the template.

For what it's worth, outside of the obvious cloned bits, I like what HP has done. I will be more expansive after the event is over.
    "Ahead"??? Ummm... this response was to your "clone" post on the wrong thread. This isn't "getting ahead" it's simply bringing the discussion (that you began) to the proper venue.

Maybe the iPad was the "template" for the hardware, I can't really say (I really don't know much about the eimensions and weight of the iPad) - if it was, HP seems to have done a pretty good job of packing more hardware into the same weight and size.

But, isn't the device a full package, and the OS a lot of that "package"? To say that WebOS is a "clone" of iOS would be akin to saying Apple cloned what they saw "back in the day" in Xerox's labs.

HP did touch on one thing they're planning that I think will be interesting. If it succeeds, it's likely to blow Apple mobile apps out of the water.

HP talked about bringing WebOS to PCs (as well as printers), and they have a lot of strength in the PC market. In addition to the influx of apps this would bring (if it's successful), I think the evolution in this case is interesting. If it succeeds, I believe this will be the first evolution of a mobile os migrating to a destop format.

That speaks highly of WebOS, which still continues to win accolades as an OS.
    I think wOS on a PC will be interesting, if not misguided. wOS; the new Linux. I don't see it as displacing anything. Apple, on the other hand, is working on a longer game. They are slowly but surely, merging their mobile and desktop OS. Google is doing something similar with Android and Chrome. MS will be the real loser.

Even the buttons line up perfectly. Look on the bright side, if you go iPad -> TouchPad, you likely won't need to buy a new case!

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Even the buttons line up perfectly. Look on the bright side, if you go iPad -> TouchPad, you likely won't need to buy a new case!

It looks exactly like an iPad in a Griffin Candy Shell, Batwing Black case. I have one.

How will they keep people from thinking it is an iPad when commercials start to air? The Moto commercial seemed to be advertising an iPad. This looks even more like the iPad with the exact same bezel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It looks exactly like an iPad in a Griffin Candy Shell, Batwing Black case. I have one.

How will they keep people from thinking it is an iPad when commercials start to air? The Moto commercial seemed to be advertising an iPad. This looks even more like the iPad with the exact same bezel.
    It looks like an iPad designed by Fisher-Price.
    I had to share this:

19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No... that's a mock-up right? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I had to share this:

That can't be real. They didn't really put that up...right?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast