Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Google
    Google is said to be trying to woo developers with its distribution power, noting that it will be able to promote the apps in the Android Market and even have them pre-installed on many phones.
    booooooooooooooo
    Awww it'll be ok sketchy !! I promise !!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how developing free apps in-house will encourage developers.
    I think more developers would be comfortable with writing for Android if Google took an interest in making it harder to pirate apps. Also, not every app is going to make a ton of money on invasive ads in their app. Google needs to promote paid apps. The knock on Android is that their users won't pay for apps. If Google does these things, they will be fine.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think more developers would be comfortable with writing for Android if Google took an interest in making it harder to pirate apps. Also, not every app is going to make a ton of money on invasive ads in their app. Google needs to promote paid apps. The knock on Android is that their users won't pay for apps. If Google does these things, they will be fine.
    Isn't Honeycomb and beyond suppose to have better DRM?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I don't see Android having any problems in the development department. I have been able to find every single app I needed to use unlike webos.
    It's not that there aren't enough apps, it's that developers aren't making nearly as much money on Android apps as iOS apps and Google is worried they'll lose interest. Google is working on improving DRM and payment systems to try to help developers earn money. However, hiring programmers to work on free apps made by Google seems like a step in the opposite direction.

It doesn't concern me though. I'd prefer to stay with webOS, but I'd switch to an iPhone before going Android. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    The underlying problem is culture. The Android culture is the counter-cultural, stick it to the man, Linux, torrent kind of culture. Everything should be open and free. There is no such thing as intellectual property. There should be no patents, etc.

If the app they want isn't free, they are geeks, and can find a way to make it free. It is very hard to get that mindset shifted to one that respects intellectual property, with a willingness to pay for it. They like their phones free, and their apps freer. Good luck squeezing $10 out of that crowd for a well-made app.
    The underlying problem is culture. The Android culture is the counter-cultural, stick it to the man, Linux, torrent kind of culture. Everything should be open and free. There is no such thing as intellectual property. There should be no patents, etc.

If the app they want isn't free, they are geeks, and can find a way to make it free. It is very hard to get that mindset shifted to one that respects intellectual property, with a willingness to pay for it. They like their phones free, and their apps freer. Good luck squeezing $10 out of that crowd for a well-made app.
    I could make a post about the "Apple culture" and its insulting and off-putting snobbery, but what better proof than the above? Well done!

Viva la stereotypes!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Heresy!
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well the other problem is that many of the free apps are so good on Android that I've found no reason to pay for an app.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I could make a post about the "Apple culture" and its insulting and off-putting snobbery, but what better proof than the above? Well done!

Viva la stereotypes!
    Good point. There certainly are a lot of stereotypes out there, but they don't just appear out of a vacuum. I wonder what the webOS stereotype is? Perpetual underdog? Knows what they want and don't mind waiting and paying for it? Or just doesn't fit in the iPhone or Android category?
    Apple markets apps, especially games. It's not surprising that iphone users tend to buy more.

Android isn't really known for games.

Besides these, most users on both use free apps.

Viva la stereotypes!
    If you want to offend me, you've got to work a lot harder than that. I was an insulting, off-putting snob even back in my PC days. I've actually mellowed since I've been in the Apple culture.

I notice you didn't try to debunk my characterization, though. Any thoughts on what I said, rather than who I am?
    If you want to offend me, you've got to work a lot harder than that. I was an insulting, off-putting snob even back in my PC days. I've actually mellowed since I've been in the Apple culture.

I notice you didn't try to debunk my characterization, though. Any thoughts on what I said, rather than who I am?
    There was no insult intended. The irony is that in slapping one stereotype onto a pretty diverse group of users you embodied another about "Apple culture." Thus, "who you are" or at least how you came across, is the most relevant thing to glean from your post.

Neither stereotype is germane nor applicable to all or even the majority of users for either platform. iPhone fans are a varied group of people stretching all walks of life, and Android users most certainly pay just as much for their handsets as Apple fans do and pay for apps to boot.

Apple has a more developed and wide-ranging selection of paid apps, so their users should pay more for apps. They also have a superior method for ease of use in purchasing apps. But that is on Google, not their users.
    I'd say it has to do with what each company offers and how they market.

Apple markets its apps heavily and has made it dead simple to buy and install apps. They've focused on games which are usually paid apps.

Google is just starting to get around to it with yesterday's event. They also offer a lot of free services that are normally purchased on the iphone such as google navigation. Google is an ad company.
    There was no insult intended. The irony is that in slapping one stereotype onto a pretty diverse group of users you embodied another about "Apple culture." Thus, "who you are" or at least how you came across, is the most relevant thing to glean from your post.

Neither stereotype is germane nor applicable to all or even the majority of users for either platform. iPhone fans are a varied group of people stretching all walks of life, and Android users most certainly pay just as much for their handsets as Apple fans do and pay for apps to boot.

Apple has a more developed and wide-ranging selection of paid apps, so their users should pay more for apps. They also have a superior method for ease of use in purchasing apps. But that is on Google, not their users.
    I don't actually disagree with any of that.

I do think that do to Google's advertising bias, them being an advertising company, they have pushed the culture of free to the detriment of the developer. That may be on Google, but it does attract a certain type of user.

Also, the same type of thing exists on the iOS side. The difference is that it is ghettoized in the jailbreak community. There is no jailbreak ghetto for Android, giving the impression that it is all that way.
    I think, by and large, Google phones are marketed more on specs/features, whereas, Apple almost always markets apps unless it's something truly significant feature like Facetime. Just look at Motorola's teaser for the Xoom and then look at any iPad ad.

Similarly, when Google does a keynote, it's almost always about the great new features added to X version of Android or the APIs provided to developers. But they usually don't spotlight the developers or apps themselves. As Cardfan said, that appears to have changed with yesterday's event somewhat. For now, they're going to be ports (which is fine, because it's ports of more than just games) along with original first-party titles like Google Body or SkyMaps. As they emphasize that more, that should change.

But Google's model/identity - as you noted - is so different that I do not believe they will ever reach total app parity with Apple, and I don't think it matters. The fact that they are the only modern, mature touch-oriented mobile OS with form factors, price points, manufacturer choice and carrier availability for almost everyone will ensure their continued success. Apple isn't trying to be that, and no one else seems capable of hitting that bar...at least for the foreseeable future.

Jobs? Still alive??

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    The majority of apps I use on Android are free to begin with and I don't use Linux. There are people that buy apps much more than Webos. I have seen many paid apps with over 250,000 downloads compare that to webos. Chase isn't going to charge me to use their mobile app or is twitter going to charge. I cannot think of a single app that I want to use on a phone that cost money. Winamp and Double Twist are all free just like they are on PC.

I bought some webos apps and thet were all a waste of money.

The thing about Webos is that people are trying to charge for the most basic and ridiculous apps. Good thing barely anyone buys them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast