Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was one of the first to congratulate Samsung, on these boards, for their apparent sales triumph of the Galaxy Tab.

I take it back!

If you can't compete in reality, then just make stuff up. Invent a victory: a manufactured triumph. They are kind of coming clean about sales. Seems they were not so hot. Guess they thought that the appearance of strong sales would spur on the real thing.

At this point, I will not believe any success story about an iPad competitor until I see real sales numbers to real human beings.
    Almost no one in the smartphone tablet industry releases sales info of specific products. You get a total of devices shipped in quarterly results. Sellthrough is an afterthought. Even Apple smudges numbers of "iOS" products together sometimes.

In this case, Samsung made their money and carriers and distributors will keep buying their products and reselling them for whatever they deem appropriate. That's how it works. Nothing to be ashamed of. They're having a great year.
    All I can say is I looked at one at Sprint and was NOT impressed. Add Sprint's crazy data plans for this device and not being impressed is putting it mildly.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    All I can say is I looked at one at Sprint and was NOT impressed. Add Sprint's crazy data plans for this device and not being impressed is putting it mildly.
    Sadly, it's almost the cream of the iPad alternative crop right now. I was in Fry's over the weekend and perused their "tablet" section shunted off next to the netbooks.....egads. Pure garbage where Coby, Viewsonic, and every other cheapy grabbed an AOSP build of Android 2.1 and slapped it into a processor and dull screen from two years ago.

As far as I am concerned there is no tablet market right now. There's iPad, and nothing else. And iPad aint gonna cut it for me.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As far as I am concerned there is no tablet market right now. There's iPad, and nothing else.
    That is exactly what I have been saying for some time. The reason this story is important is that there are stories showing the iPad is losing significant marketshare to Android tablets. The number in the article I saw earlier today was 2.3M Android tablets, 2M of which were Tabs. Most of those 2M Tabs are still on shelves and not cutting into iPad marketshare at all. They are just cutting into shelf space marketshare.

I believe Samsung spun their numbers to mislead everyone so that they could be seen as gaining on Apple. I also believe the press was willing to believe it without much investigation. The simple fact is the Tab is not selling well, according to Samsung!
    I'm not happy to see this, even though I'm leaning toward iPad 2. Competition is a good thing.

But we did know they weren't selling to consumers here in the US(don't know about the rest of the world) because of the price drops in the US. A wifi only US version is sorely needed. People don't want a 2nd data plan. This was shown even with the iPad. There's a report on Ars Technica about AT&T activating a low amount of iPads, compared to what Apple has sold. Meaning people are jumping on the wifi versions more.

I however do prefer the data version since wifi is really not everywhere, or it's often paid wifi with possible restrictions.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Here's an ad to convince* people to switch to something else:

* Well any geek who gets the gag.

As for the thread, the Ipad will lose market share over time, that's unavoidable and completely predictable because they aren't competing in the $100 tablet market against 50 other OEMs. Apple prefers to remain a premium brand and hang onto that nice fat profit margin...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    As for the thread, the Ipad will lose market share over time, that's unavoidable and completely predictable because they aren't competing in the $100 tablet market against 50 other OEMs. Apple prefers to remain a premium brand and hang onto that nice fat profit margin...
    Absolutely agree, but that's not happening now. However, there is an appearance that it is, and that appearance is an intentional falsehood.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Absolutely agree, but that's not happening now. However, there is an appearance that it is, and that appearance is an intentional falsehood.
    Not the case at all. I already commented on this in the other thread you complained about this, but the fact is iPads are sold to consumers. Galaxy Tabs aren't. They are REsold to them by carriers who have already bought and paid for them, and that is a significant difference. The data rates will differ from carrier to carrier along with the upfront pricing. It's not an apples-to-apples (yeah, yeah, I know) comparison.

REselling is the main business model for mobile devices in America.
    That is exactly what I have been saying for some time. The reason this story is important is that there are stories showing the iPad is losing significant marketshare to Android tablets. The number in the article I saw earlier today was 2.3M Android tablets, 2M of which were Tabs. Most of those 2M Tabs are still on shelves and not cutting into iPad marketshare at all. They are just cutting into shelf space marketshare.

I believe Samsung spun their numbers to mislead everyone so that they could be seen as gaining on Apple. I also believe the press was willing to believe it without much investigation. The simple fact is the Tab is not selling well, according to Samsung!
    If you want to believe this as some conspiracy, have at it. Carriers ARE a big part of the US mobile marketplace. Almost every mobile device maker from HTC to Moto to Samsung lists devices shipped in their quarterly results. It's not to "fool" investors. Those are sales directly to carriers. It's up to the carrier to resell and get "sellthrough". Only if the lack of sellthrough is excessive (such as when Palm's last quarter saw them selling less than half of their inventory to consumers) does this become an issue. It's not like carriers will just continuously buy a product with no sales momentum whatsoever.

Whatever the Samsung lady said, this doesn't appear to be the case. EVERY carrier wants and has Tab tablets. The Tab 2 will be announced in less than 30 days, and they will probably carry that as well. Samsung's shipments are near the top of the industry, and that's money in the bank. They are the leading Android manufacturer because they are making pretty darn solid products that many people enjoy. And right now, they have the only viable iPad alternative.

Maybe this will all change when that changes. We'll see. If nothing else, they can fall back on selling chips to Apple. Booming business there...
    But in the end, I'm going to bet you people thought that 2 million meant end customers, not carriers. Now the carriers are discounting them because they can't sell them with those data plans. So yes, I do think Samsung mislead by not saying "distributors" sooner. Samsung has done stuff like this before.

Now am I happy about this, absolutely not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    Perhaps this quote from Samsung on their earnings call help put things into perspective:

Samsung's Lee Young-hee further explained on an earnings call on Friday that so-called "sell-out" sales to customers were actually "quite small," but she wouldn't provide a specific number.
    Comparing items sold to vendors with Apple's sell through numbers is a shell game.
    Comparing items sold to vendors with Apple's sell through numbers is a shell game.
    No it isn't.
    Apparently many of those approximate 2 million were sold to distributors, and not many are ending up in the end customer's hand. While Apple sells to the end consumer more. They do have carrier agreements but only after selling many outright to consumers.

If a product is sitting on a carrier's shelf, and not being used by a consumer, how in the world does that cut into anyone's definition of "marketshare??"
    Since no one knows yet the methodology of the "tablet marketshare" survey that is at the heart of this complaint thread nor the sellthrough numbers of the Galaxy Tab, this is all presumptive talk anyway.
  17.    #17  
    Here is the smoking gun.

Here are a few quotes:

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Google Inc.’s Android software boosted its share of tablet computers almost 10-fold in the fourth quarter, narrowing the lead of Apple Inc.’s iPad, market researcher Strategy Analytics said.
    Android devices captured 22 percent of global tablet shipments in the three months to Dec. 31, up from 2.3 percent in the preceding quarter, the Boston-based researcher said in a statement today. The iPad accounted for 75 percent of shipments in the period, down from about 95 percent, it said.
    Apple’s iPad, which has sold more than 14.8 million units worldwide since its introduction in April, faces intensifying competition from Android tablets made by Samsung Electronics Co., Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. and Acer Inc.
    Here's the payoff:

Apple shipped 7.3 million tablets in the fourth quarter, a 74 percent gain from the previous three-month period, according to the report. Shipments of Android devices jumped to 2.1 million units from about 100,000, it said.
    2 million of those are the Tab. They are being compared to Apple's sell-through. The whole basis of Android gaining 22 percent marketshare is based on units on shelves and in warehouses. Samsung probably had to announce that sales are quit small for fiduciary purposes. Just a guess.
    Oh, and lest you think me an Android/Samsung fa...umm, acolyte, I will refer you to this far more substantial piece of evidence showing the Galaxy Tab and iPad to not be on the same playing field:

Samsung Ships 2 Million Galaxy Tabs But Customer Return Rate Is 15% | Tablets Planet

Personally, I would think the return rate is higher. I would honestly rather have a Nook Color if I HAD to have a non-iPad tablet right now.
  19.    #19  
    Oh, and lest you think me an Android/Samsung fa...umm, acolyte, I will refer you to this far more substantial piece of evidence showing the Galaxy Tab and iPad to not be on the same playing field:

Samsung Ships 2 Million Galaxy Tabs But Customer Return Rate Is 15%*|*Tablets Planet

Personally, I would think the return rate is higher. I would honestly rather have a Nook Color if I HAD to have a non-iPad tablet right now.
    I know you're not.

As for the return rate, it is higher. This is another example of why mixing the numbers is misleading. 2M has nothing to do with consumer purchases. Therefore, the 15% figure is meaningless. To know the return percentage, we would have to know the sell-through. All we know is that according to Sammy, the number is quite small.

15% of 2M is 300,000. If that is the actual number of returns, the actual return rate would be 50% if sell-through was only 600,000. We just don't know. I know you disagree, but this is a shell-game. It feels like a con.
    <Love, and peace> from the mods
    BTW, no matter what the actual numbers are, at this point, each tablet sold is eating into Apple's market share. The only question seems to be "how much". Take a look at the history of what happend with iPhone, and you'll get a picture of what's about to happen.

Eco systems are almost definitely a good idea. Closed eco systems, I think not so much.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/31/2011 at 03:31 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast