Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm is hanging tough at 3.9% marketshare (2.3 MILLION users) and managed to grab another net 30K users (Pre2 buyers?) to keep them at 3.9% while the smartphone market grew another 800K.

All was not well in fruit-land as the giant green robot crushed Apple's lead and took #2 with 26% of the market, and increase of 6.4% compared to Apples .8% gain to 25%. Berries were still way out in front with 33% but fell 4.1% from 37 the previous period.

What does this mean? Despite what the i-trolls and an-haters would love to believe, there is no mass exodus from Palms camp and Palm grabbed some more users despite the over .7% share loss.

comScore Reports November 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

*M$ dropped another 1.8% but WP7 launched in early Nov and isn't reflected on this report. Next report will have numbers through Dec. and we'll see what impact it has, although all sales reports on WP7 have been mediocre at best so it's hard to say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i saw this too, and all i can think is that there are a lot of people who haven't left their palm devices because they aren't up for renewal. not everyone is willing to pay 500$ for a phone, infact a lot of people have a problem paying the 100/150 for a smartphone.

it's not a 'good' thing, other then holding onto your market share is better than losing it. but sitting at a pathetic 3.9% is not good. Hopefully HP has some marketing plans up their sleve, to go along with 2.0+ and new devices.

lets not kid ourselves... all you have to do is look at the number of webOS devices that are even available to purchase. that alone tells you the state of webOS. hopoefully come feb 9th there's a change in all that.

blackberry will continue to lose customers solely because there were a lot of people with blackberries who don't 'need' them. prior to the touchscreen OS revolution started by Apple (and now Android), blackberry was the only real option. Unless you were a blackjack, winmobile, or treo fan, which lets face it - most were not. now that there are other options that are 'good' or 'better' (depending on what you need it for), people are switching away from the blackberry... not that big of a deal.
    People are switching from BB, and yet it's still the 2nd most prominent phone I see on a day to day basis (#1 being iPhone of course). Of course numbers never lie, but that's my observations
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    don't forget... the iphone launches on verizon 2/10
    HP's little event is 2/9

which do you think everyone's going to be paying attention to? the general cell phone user isn't even going to know what webos is, but they'll know what day they can get an iphone on verizon.

not that HP could predict when Verizon would launch the iphone, but thats a huge failure marketing wise for webOS. They wont even get the one day they wanted to themselves, because everyone will be talking about iPhone on Verizon on the 9th...
  5.    #5  
    That's just it...with the devices eol'd just about everywhere, the growth the last 3-month period has to be Pre2 users. Every review i've read from owners say the phone is blazing fast and they love it.

So with HP's new phones topping that one (presumably) then webOS is really gonna rock things.

Mindshare may be 1.8% or less but that's not something a little advertising can't fix. (i mean companies wouldn't kick out millions for 30secs during the SuperBowl if they didn't think people could be influenced. HP has clout in this area)

Playbook may be Berries last hope as they haven't held steady for quite a while. I think they need to get QNX on their phones asap to have a chance as OS6 just isn't wowing...
    You seem pretty sure that something has failed before it's happened. Wait and see is a fairly good way to not eat your words, but do what you want

Also there is more out there in the world than Sprint, Verizon and AT&T. There are European customers, Canadian customers, (for example) that will be affected by this announcement as well, so not necessarily the whole world revolves around Verizon's announcement
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Only here would falling way behind market growth, losing 15 percent marketshare, and continuing to drag the bottom of the barrel be considered "good news".

These numbers are atrocious, but expected when you have virtually no US retail presence. All that matters is what happens in the quarters from the launch of new devices onward. Trying to wring a droplet of sunshine from these marketshare reports is <hard>.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/31/2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This.

PLUS eveeyone knows Windows > OSX and on that front when you as about a
    I'm scratchin' my head on this one.....I think we're missing a word or four?
    Sadly, WebOS started to die slowly with the Sprint Pre. Come Feb 9th, that day might be the kill for the Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    Sadly, WebOS started to die slowly with the Sprint Pre. Come Feb 9th, that day might be the kill for the Pre...
    Here's to hoping they unleash something that does kill the Pre and if not, then I guess I won't be wishing I had whatever it is that they do put out and be glad I have my Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    That's just it...with the devices eol'd just about everywhere, the growth the last 3-month period has to be Pre2 users. Every review i've read from owners say the phone is blazing fast and they love it.
    Dude, the Pre 2 wasn't available for sale anywhere in the US until Nov. 18. I don't think it's on this chart. I'd love to see your math on how this is considered "growth".

So with HP's new phones topping that one (presumably) then webOS is really gonna rock things.
    Based on.....?

Playbook may be Berries last hope as they haven't held steady for quite a while. I think they need to get QNX on their phones asap to have a chance as OS6 just isn't wowing...
    While they're certainly in decline, RIM continues to add more than double the entire amount of WebOS users ever every single quarter. It's going to be a long time before HP can ascend to the depths of RIM's desperate last hopes.

Quite a long time.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Also there is more out there in the world than Sprint, Verizon and AT&T. There are European customers, Canadian customers, (for example) that will be affected by this announcement as well, so not necessarily the whole world revolves around Verizon's announcement
    This.

PLUS eveeyone knows Windows > OSX and on that front when you ask about a Windows laptop maker, HP and Dell will be at the forefront. HP is the leader in this area. Name recognition isn't a problem.

Let's think back to Motorola who was in obscurity after RAZR until DROID hit with those "cool" commercials. Hardly anyone knew what Android was outside the geek arena and now Google has crushed Apple.

HP gets Dr. Dre rockin' the Broadway or SJP or Fergie on one of the phones and they will capture a HUGE segment just based on their fans.

In 9 days we will see...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You seem pretty sure that something has failed before it's happened. Wait and see is a fairly good way to not eat your words, but do what you want

I'm pretty sure its going to fail marketing wise. It doesn't mean good products wont be released, or webOS2 wont be released for the rest of us, or that HP isn't doing a good job with webOS.

Marketings wise, its an utter failure.

I wish Verizon launching the iPhone wasn't a 'stop the presses' event, trust me I do. But it is, because the general population will take off work and stand in line for 4 hour lines to get the phone - a phone i think, for what its worth, is not as good as webOS, the only advantage it has is an app store that ahs many many more apps (something I don't care about...). But it doesn't really matter what I, or you, think. What matters is what the general public thinks. The Verizon iPhone will be on the hot topic list for every news outlet, from tech blogs to CNN/Foxnews/MSNBC.

webOS will only show up on the techblogs, and it'll probably not even be the top topics, as iPhone anticipation topics will trump them.

It sucks. HP marketing screwed up, which is magnified by the fact that webOS marketing in general has been awful since release...

And I'm well aware that there are other countries that carry the pre2. The US isn't the only market, or the most important market, but its a market HP is completely ignoring (as of now). Thats 300+ million people that can't even get a webOS device as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Only here would falling way behind market growth, losing 15 percent marketshare, and continuing to drag the bottom of the barrel be considered "good news".

These numbers are atrocious, but expected when you have virtually no US retail presence. All that matters is what happens in the quarters from the launch of new devices onward. Trying to wring a droplet of sunshine from these marketshare reports is silly.
    ^this.
    Last edited by tshile; 01/31/2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'd love to see your math on how this is considered "growth".
    i think he's talking a growth in the actual # of users.

If the # of people in the market increases, and your % of the market share stays the same, then that means the # of users you have has increased.

which is better than it staying the same, which would result in your market share going down.

growth in terms of numbers, not % of the market.
    the math confuses me (and has since 8th grade).

if the market grew by 800k, and Palm grew by 30k, they couldn't have kept the same market share, becasuse the market growth was substantially moree than palm's growth. What am I missing?
    the market grew by 800k
    palm's % of the market was 3.9

800 * .039 = 31.2
    (800 thousand times 3.9 percent = 31.2 thousand)

so, to keep a 3.9% market share, palm would have to have added 31.2k users out of the 800 that were added to the market.

you just said they grew by 30k

thats 3.9%

(roughly speaking)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the math confuses me (and has since 8th grade).

if the market grew by 800k, and Palm grew by 30k, they couldn't have kept the same market share, becasuse the market growth was substantially moree than palm's growth. What am I missing?
    Palm's market share before this report was 3.9%. 800,000 new smartphone users entered the market for this report. Palm picked up 30,000 of those new users or ~3.9% of them. This keeps Palm's market share steady at 3.9%.

Another way to look at this: 96.1% of the smartphone market continues to vote against Palm with their wallets.
    Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    i think he's talking a growth in the actual # of users.

If the # of people in the market increases, and your % of the market share stays the same, then that means the # of users you have has increased.

which is better than it staying the same, which would result in your market share going down.

growth in terms of numbers, not % of the market.
    Oh, I get that. But again, do the math.

If we take these numbers as gospel, their most recent estimate puts the total number of US smartphone owners at 61.5 million. Palm has 3.9 percent of that or 2,398,500 users. Yay, right?

But ComScore's last report for the previous quarter ending in July (the current one linked above started in August) had the market at 53.4 million smartphone users in the US. Palm supposedly had 4.9 percent of that or 2,616,000 users.

So not only are they not keeping up with market growth, but they just lost hundreds of thousands of users (roughly ten percent of the user base) this past quarter.

Bottom line is...there's no good news to be found in said report unless you think a guy getting shot once as opposed to 9 times is something to celebrate.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Couldn't the majority of this (as it's based on usage not sales) be accounted for by internal HP users (as they are now giving staff webOS devices right?)?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Couldn't the majority of this (as it's based on usage not sales) be accounted for by internal HP users (as they are now giving staff webOS devices right?)?
    HP would only have to give ~10% of their staff a Palm phone to account for that 30,000.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast