Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So Apple charges a lot more than what their products are actually worth.

That's old news.
    These numebrs are from November 2010 and only for the US.

The US is important but we are less than 5% of the world population.

Here are the world-wide numbers for December:

Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform in Q4 2010

But the UN says that there are 5 billion cellphones in use in the world.

There were 32.9 million Androids sold in Q4'2010. That's 360,000 Androids a day and 132 million a year.

Android is the largest smartphone OS at about 2.6% market penetration of all cellphones in use. Palm's market penetration is too small to say as a percentage. It is 540 ppm (part per million).

The cellphone market is still wide open.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/31/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    These numebrs are from November 2010 and only for the US.

The US is important but we are only 5% of the US population.

There are over 5 billion cellphones in use in the world.

Here are the world-wide numbers for December:

Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform in Q4 2010
    I thought about linking to that, but those are marketshare estimates worldwide for that quarter ONLY. Comscore purports to account for total US sales to date cumulatively leading up to X quarter. If we're talking last quarter only, Palm rightfully doesn't even register on the radar.

"Other" indeed.
    quick side note... extra points awarded for the thread title
    Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    don't forget... the iphone launches on verizon 2/10
    HP's little event is 2/9... because everyone will be talking about iPhone on Verizon on the 9th...
    I'm pretty sure I won't...except maybe in passing. I expect I will be talking about the results of the 'little' HP Feb 9th event. Now, I could be wrong, and HP may only be announcing the creation of 4 dimensional printing...or a new color never before seen in the natural world, but I'm expecting it will be at least a nice announcement...and maybe profound!

What's that? You want to know what 4th dimensional printing is? The added dimension of smell of course!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I'm pretty sure I won't...except maybe in passing. I expect I will be talking about the results of the 'little' HP Feb 9th event. Now, I could be wrong, and HP may only be announcing the creation of 4 dimensional printing...or a new color never before seen in the natural world, but I'm expecting it will be at least a nice announcement...and maybe profound!

What's that? You want to know what 4th dimensional printing is? The added dimension of smell of course!
    I don't know that I agree either with the notion that iPhone on Verizon is all anyone will be talking about.

What's really to talk about? It's not new product. Yes, there will be a lot of people buying it. That's about the extent of the story
    AppleInsider | Apple's 4% mobile market share rakes in over half the industry's profit

With just 4.2 percent of the global mobile phone market, Apple's iPhone accounts for a massive 51 percent of the total profits, a new report claims.
    The iPhone's share of global handset profits has been steadily climbing. In August of 2009, Apple was reported as making 32 percent of the industry's profits.
    Yeah, I'm sure Apple is so sad that all those cheap Android devices are outselling it's little iPhone.

For everyone that is so hung up on raw market share numbers, etc. Those profit results are what it's all about. Nothing else matters. Apple is literally printing money with the iPhone.

Something else to consider, this post is about the iPhone losing market share. Care to explain how the iPhone is supposedly losing market share, but they were able to increase their amount of profit in the smart phone market from 32% to 51%? That is just unheard of. But, it also tells you that the smart phone market is being flooded with a bunch of cheap phones. If you want to call that success, have at it. I like Apple's way of success.

That's how you do a successful product. That's a company that knows how to increase shareholder value. Which is the ONLY reason corporations exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Palm is hanging tough at 3.9% marketshare (2.3 MILLION users) and managed to grab another net 30K users (Pre2 buyers?) to keep them at 3.9% while the smartphone market grew another 800K.

All was not well in fruit-land as the giant green robot crushed Apple's lead and took #2 with 26% of the market, and increase of 6.4% compared to Apples .8% gain to 25%. Berries were still way out in front with 33% but fell 4.1% from 37 the previous period.

What does this mean? Despite what the i-trolls and an-haters would love to believe, there is no mass exodus from Palms camp and Palm grabbed some more users despite the over .7% share loss.

comScore Reports November 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

*M$ dropped another 1.8% but WP7 launched in early Nov and isn't reflected on this report. Next report will have numbers through Dec. and we'll see what impact it has, although all sales reports on WP7 have been mediocre at best so it's hard to say.
    Ahh, poor OP. Don't you realize that in the end, it's profits that matter. Do a google search on this: Apple's 4% mobile market share rakes in over half the industry's profit.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 01/31/2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Here is what I posted in another topic that includes a link with additional details.

AppleInsider | Apple's 4% mobile market share rakes in over half the industry's profit

With just 4.2 percent of the global mobile phone market, Apple's iPhone accounts for a massive 51 percent of the total profits, a new report claims.
    The iPhone's share of global handset profits has been steadily climbing. In August of 2009, Apple was reported as making 32 percent of the industry's profits.
    Yeah, I'm sure Apple is so sad that all those cheap Android devices are outselling it's little iPhone.

For everyone that is so hung up on raw market share numbers, etc. Those profit results are what it's all about. Nothing else matters. Apple is literally printing money with the iPhone.

Something else to consider, this post is about the iPhone losing market share. Care to explain how the iPhone is supposedly losing market share, but they were able to increase their amount of profit in the smart phone market from 32% to 51%? That is just unheard of. But, it also tells you that the smart phone market is being flooded with a bunch of cheap phones. If you want to call that success, have at it. I like Apple's way of success.

That's how you do a successful product. That's a company that knows how to increase shareholder value. Which is the ONLY reason corporations exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    So Apple charges a lot more than what their products are actually worth.

That's old news.
    That says something about the products that they produce, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Here is what I posted in another topic that includes a link with additional details.
    The iphone is only 17% of the smartphone market. And you really believe they have 51% of the profit? The 51% you quote, top graph in your link, "light blue" appears to be about 51%. BUT that's more than just phones! I'm not sure this is all of apple products or just ios products.

To bad people buy into the hype, Smoke and Mirrors, for a great phone (that you just can't talk on even if you hold it right) but I guess that's where the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute" came from. True apple is "a phone vendor" but they're lumping in more than just phones in the chart.

Here's a link to Asymco ( a subsidiary of apple?) that probably has more flawed info.

65% of Apple’s sales came from iOS powered devices | asymco

I was born at night...but not last night.
    ...Apple is literally printing money with the iPhone...
    Really?! Wow, I'm truly impressed! I didn't know there was an app for that!!

Unless you're mistaken about the meaning of the term "literally", of course...

I point this out for one reason only. There's a lot of hyperbole about said product...
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/01/2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: wrote "timer", should have been "term"
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    The iphone is only 17% of the smartphone market. And you really believe they have 51% of the profit? The 51% you quote, top graph in your link, "light blue" appears to be about 51%. BUT that's more than just phones! I'm not sure this is all of apple products or just ios products.

To bad people buy into the hype, Smoke and Mirrors, for a great phone (that you just can't talk on even if you hold it right) but I guess that's where the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute" came from. True apple is "a phone vendor" but they're lumping in more than just phones in the chart.

Here's a link to Asymco ( a subsidiary of apple?) that probably has more flawed info.

65% of Apple’s sales came from iOS powered devices | asymco

I was born at night...but not last night.
    It's really not that difficult to believe when in 4 years the price of the iPhone has not dropped but the cost to produce has.

Google likes it too. Apple's model, while insanely successful, leaves plenty of oxygen for them to come in the room and flourish. You use "cheap phones" as a slur, but that's precisely want Google wants for Android: To replace the cheap featurephones you got a few years ago with Android letting Google make money off your web usage and searches.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I edited the OP to link to the originating site. There's no mention of anything other than mobile phones.
    Does "mobile phones" include the items that are sold to go on the mobile phones? Android has an app store, but it's no where near what Apple's is yet, and doesn't have a music store (I don't think) and there's a lot of profit for that for Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Does "mobile phones" include the items that are sold to go on the mobile phones? Android has an app store, but it's no where near what Apple's is yet, and doesn't have a music store (I don't think) and there's a lot of profit for that for Apple.
    iPhone and Android each have over 200,000 apps but that is totally different than the US smartphone market penetration this thread is about. Profits for mobile operations includes all sources but again, that would be a different topic.

This thread is about the Comscore analysis of the installed base of phones in use in the US. This is a look back at what smartphones sold in the past.
    I think it just shows that Palm is holding on to some market share without having new products offered in the US in over a year. To me no its nothing to celebrate about, but it does show that the people who have adobted Webos are fine with it. It also shows that if Webos can still have that many users with the so call android onslaught, and of course most sprint users have been up for upgrade (like myself) they are willing to wait and see what new devices may be in store running webos, or just arent that impressed with Android. Who cares if its a far fetched postive note or not, bottom line is (which is why I respect this community) it shows there are more enthusiast on here then negative people. Which is always a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think it just shows that Palm is holding on to some market share without having new products offered in the US in over a year. To me no its nothing to celebrate about, but it does show that the people who have adobted Webos are fine with it. It also shows that if Webos can still have that many users with the so call android onslaught, and of course most sprint users have been up for upgrade (like myself) they are willing to wait and see what new devices may be in store running webos, or just arent that impressed with Android. Who cares if its a far fetched postive note or not, bottom line is (which is why I respect this community) it shows there are more enthusiast on here then negative people. Which is always a good thing.
    There's nothing notable about this, though. Windows Mobile still has more marketshare than Windows Phone 7, and they haven't had a current product since the HD 2 13 months ago.

Even declining platforms take a while to disappear completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    There's good percentage of people are just stuck with Pre. Remember, we are under contract. I am not going to pay penalty to break my contract and go to different device. Who ever got stuck with Pre right now, there good percentage, will never buy another Palm product.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    There's good percentage of people are just stuck with Pre. Remember, we are under contract. I am not going to pay penalty to break my contract and go to different device. Who ever got stuck with Pre right now, there good percentage, will never buy another Palm product.
    Agreed. Also, most modern smartphones will cost you around $500 if you buy them off contact. Not everyone has that kind of money laying around... lol

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast