Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today there was a posting on appleinsider about the iPad2 specs, sounding somewhat trustable...

...and when you read it, you will find that the specs of both rumoured devices, iPad and Palm Pad, are nearly the same.

AppleInsider | Report details iPad 2 components, 5 million unit supply

But the Palm Pad will be the first to have them

This will be A INTERESTING spring...
    According to that, it will use an ARM cortex a9, which is a substantially better cpu than the palmpad's A8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    According to that, it will use an ARM cortex a9, which is a substantially better cpu than the palmpad's A8.
    irrelevant to 90% of end users
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Today there was a posting on appleinsider about the iPad2 specs, sounding somewhat trustable...

...and when you read it, you will find that the specs of both rumoured devices, iPad and Palm Pad, are nearly the same.

...snip
    Watch the commercials HP/Apple (when they arrive). The differentiators will be there. In this case being first won't matter.
    nobody cares what's inside. Only the nerds in this forum. 99.9% of people who purchased the ipad would prob say the apple on the back was the spec they were looking for
    It's not about just Apple logo. Let's say if you have two identical Laptop with same price. But one with Windows 7 and other one with Linux installed on it. What do you think most of the regular customer pick?
    I would pick the hp
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    It's not about just Apple logo. Let's say if you have two identical Laptop with same price. But one with Windows 7 and other one with Linux installed on it. What do you think most of the regular customer pick?
    I'd pick Linux, I think I'm included in a regular customer right?

Granted, I'd never buy a laptop pre-installed with any linux on it, because it's probably not Arch.
    Sprint Love
    not a regular customer no... I've never even seen a computer running linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Look @ your phone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Most of my friend never seen webOS before I bought mine, just like majority of people never seen computer running linux. If you go to Linux forum, they all agreed that Linux is much better OS than Windows but in reality Linux will never enter the mainstream.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    nobody cares what's inside. Only the nerds in this forum. 99.9% of people who purchased the ipad would prob say the apple on the back was the spec they were looking for
    I agree 100%. Apple has rabid fans. Their marketing just widdles away at people until they crack.

My sister was on my Sprint family plan paying $35/month (5 people on the plan). For 2 years she kept saying, "I want an iPhone" and for 2 years I kept having to reminder her she would pay an extra $1200 over the 2 year contract with AT&T. Finally, she left the family plan and got an iPhone because "it's so integrated with my Mac." Now she thinks the iPhone is the greatest thing (it's her first smartphone). However, she is paying $90+/month now.

To me, that's insane. All that extra money for what?

Anyway, Apple's marketing finally got to her and made her feel as though the iPhone was the ONLY thing that could do all these fancy things.

HP has a long, long road ahead if they think they will topple Apple, like Apoether said to take the "as cool as Apple" away from people and make it into "as cool as HP"?

Good luck.

I just hope there is enough critical mass on WebOS to get the dev support.
    I think we're getting to the point where specs will take a permanent back seat to User Experience. It's more about how efficiently the software utilizes the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think we're getting to the point where specs will take a permanent back seat to User Experience. It's more about how efficiently the software utilizes the hardware.
    I agree, user experience = "it just works". That is what I hear repeatedly from people I talk to who use Apple products. After frustration with other devices (or not) they went to Apple, and for the most part will stay, at least for several generations of products.

I have one Apple product, a shuffle, and it was a gift. But if I'm not thrilled with what I see in Feb, I'll be likely move to an iPod Touch for all the stuff I wanted to do with my Pre, but the repeated hardware failings have made it too troublesome to be worth it anymore.

I'm not by any stretch the target audience, because I'm also rebelling on the price creep for having these high end phones and looking at moving to a contract-less BB or Android for cell service/minimal data and the iPod Touch for loading everything else when I have wifi access. That's why the Touch instead of a phone.

Having said all that, if the new devices work I'll suck it up and pay. I love webOS when it works. I just have gotten tired of having to Homebrew to make my phone functional (TMC errors never stop w/o it) and having to rebuild it when things go wrong. Lather rinse repeat. And losing data because I didn't export from one particular app before my nth phone decided to lock up before I did my weekly backup.

Specs get peoples attention. "Just works" keeps them.

***Just realized this was about pads/tablets not phones, but general idea that the hardware needs to work to keep people applies. And even more important since HP has now swallowed Palm and its reputation.
    Last edited by retirecom; 01/30/2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add footnote
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    Quote Originally Posted by retirecom View Post
    I agree, user experience = "it just works". That is what I hear repeatedly from people I talk to who use Apple products. After frustration with other devices (or not) they went to Apple, and for the most part will stay, at least for several generations of products.

I have one Apple product, a shuffle, and it was a gift. But if I'm not thrilled with what I see in Feb, I'll be likely move to an iPod Touch for all the stuff I wanted to do with my Pre, but the repeated hardware failings have made it too troublesome to be worth it anymore.

I'm not by any stretch the target audience, because I'm also rebelling on the price creep for having these high end phones and looking at moving to a contract-less BB or Android for cell service/minimal data and the iPod Touch for loading everything else when I have wifi access. That's why the Touch instead of a phone.

Having said all that, if the new devices work I'll suck it up and pay. I love webOS when it works. I just have gotten tired of having to Homebrew to make my phone functional (TMC errors never stop w/o it) and having to rebuild it when things go wrong. Lather rinse repeat. And losing data because I didn't export from one particular app before my nth phone decided to lock up before I did my weekly backup.

Specs get peoples attention. "Just works" keeps them.

***Just realized this was about pads/tablets not phones, but general idea that the hardware needs to work to keep people applies. And even more important since HP has now swallowed Palm and its reputation.
    can't argue with that logic. Just a warning, frustrated with my pre, i got the newest ipod touch to do my heavier lifting. i actually wound up going back to my pre for most tasks because IMO it takes so many taps to do everything. Still, itunes just works, the headphone jack just works, you can't ask for a better touch screen, and its pretty much lag free. at this point, I can't blame anyone for making the switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

This will be A INTERESTING spring...
    This is not the kind of battle that can be won with spec sheets. Generally, when companies are hyping tech specs, it is because they have lost on everything else that matters. It is a manufactured victory.

People don't care how many cores and hertz the processor has; they care about how the performance feels when they use it. They don't care about the graphics chipset; they care about how things look onscreen. They don't care how big your battery is; they care how long it lasts on a charge. They don't care what the specs suggest is possible; they care about what the product and ecosystem enables them to do. Specs are for geek battles on discussion boards. You can never win that battle for longer than it takes for the next competitor to enter the spec war.

Frankly, I never expect Apple to be the spec leader. I am always surprised when they are. If a product is going to compete on specs, it had better blow the incumbent away, not match it. Let's say the specs cancel themselves out as a purchase decision. That tends to favor Apple. When you can no longer talk about specs, you have to come up with a legitimate reason why a person would choose your product over the one it hopes to displace. That is where the war has to be fought, unless you only care about manufactured victories on discussion boards.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Hopefully... Palm did say that the Enyo framework was designed to run much more efficiently (and FASTER) than Mojo at Dev Day NYC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    can't argue with that logic. Just a warning, frustrated with my pre, i got the newest ipod touch to do my heavier lifting. i actually wound up going back to my pre for most tasks because IMO it takes so many taps to do everything. Still, itunes just works, the headphone jack just works, you can't ask for a better touch screen, and its pretty much lag free. at this point, I can't blame anyone for making the switch...
    Ha - this is what has kept me. I love it when it works. That's why I'm waiting until the new hardware & a semi brief test period before upgrading or walking away.

As for the tablets, I think for people to give webOS a chance, it MUST work, specs have to be top of the line OR what specs it is missing must be reflected in the discounted cost. WebOS has no value to the general public right now nor does the app count. If the hardware doesn't match Apple or Android devices & the apps don't, & it costs the same, who will ever bother to use one long enough to see how intuitive it is when what is missing is glaring?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    maybe you missed the insider-information someone gave on this board, that the Palm Pad is slated to get the OMAP 4 440 processor, which also is a Dual Core Arm A9.

The information with the qualcomm-processor is somewhat outdated and from a marketing guys wishes, not from a technical spec sheet...

btw. good and powerful hardware is the basis for good and powerful software. I don't wanna see a stronger iPad2 processor which enables it to perform better apps than the Palm Pad.

So: hardware counts!
    Although I agree that most customers don't care about specs, they do care what you can do with the device. And if more powerful specs allow your device to do more then thats a good thing in most consumer's book.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast