Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    And if more powerful specs allow your device to do more then thats a good thing in most consumer's book.
    There lies the rub. Do more than what? This product is not being released in a vacuum. We all know HP only cares about the iPad. These specs will not allow it to do more of anything. Even if you had all the developer support you wanted from day one, you do not have as mature an SDK and hardware ecosystem. How is coming close to the specs of the one you're chasing allowing HP to do more? I don't think a successful tagline will be, "The hPad: h is just one letter short of being i. It can do almost as much." That is not a very good argument, even on geek discussion boards.

HP will have to find something else besides specs to get people excited. I suspect they know that.
    Hp needs to just sell it to huge schools. If they really want it to catch on like apple they need to get it in the hands of the students that buy stuff cause its cool. Just make some deals with large schools and it will start selling itself. Apple does this. My school has a mini apple store that sells all apple products. Also put an hp store in the mall. Apple has stores and even when people are not buying they walk in and look. Then when they want a computer they say oh remember how nice that one "looked". Nobody says hey remember that apple laptop we seen with the core 2 duo and 60gb hdd with $3000.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 01/31/2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Hp needs to just sell it to huge schools. If they really want it to catch on like apple they need to get it in the hands of the students that buy stuff cause its cool. Just make some deals with large schools and it will start selling itself. Apple does this. My school has a mini apple store that sells all apple products. Also put an hp store in the mall. Apple has stores and even when people are not buying they walk in and look. Then when they want a computer they say oh remember how nice that one "looked". Nobody says hey remember that apple laptop we seen with the core 2 duo and 60gb hdd with for $3000.
    It sounds like you are suggesting the complete appleization of HP. As a consumer, this benefits no one. If everyone tries to match Apple's specs on the product and corporate level, you will not have diversity; you will have different variations of one company and product line.

Yes, Apple is successful. But there were successful companies and good products before Apple came along. I can't believe that the only way to be successful now is to match Apple. Real competition consists of competing ideas, not everyone trying to copy the same idea.

About those stores, HP might want to check in with MS to see how that strategy is working out.
    So having a store so people can see products and selling to students is something only apple can do or its copying? lol
    Also I am saying specs dont matter. Not match apples specs.
    So having a store so people can see products and selling to students is something only apple can do or its copying? lol
    No, that's not what I meant. Apple was not the first company to do stores. Perhaps I misunderstood your point

Also I am saying specs dont matter. Not match apples specs.
    lol ok so we agree then lol.
    I just know we all read off specs and tech stuff all day here in the forums but when it comes down to it none of that sells the products. The majority of people buy because its cool, looks good, cheaper and works. If hp wants to sell these things thats what they have to show the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think we're getting to the point where specs will take a permanent back seat to User Experience. It's more about how efficiently the software utilizes the hardware.
    I bet this is the best comment I read all day. I agree with you completely.
    nobody cares what's inside. Only the nerds in this forum. 99.9% of people who purchased the ipad would prob say the apple on the back was the spec they were looking for
    It's true...and frustrating. I'm always trying to find opportunities to show folks the webOS interface, but NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON has shown the slightest bit of interest. It's all about the brand and the device. To my in-laws (admittedly not the most tech-savvy folks) if it's not an iPhone it's a Droid. To them, a "Droid" encompasses all phones running Android. Whenever the topic comes up, I try to insert my opinion about how I like the webOS interface, blah blah blah...but usually they don't even notice my comment. Same with coworkers.

I am convinced the only way new webOS devices will succeed and increase market share is if they have a VERY aggressive marketing and branding campaign and try to infiltrate bulk-purchasing (i.e., education, corporate) and home/small business enterprise markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There lies the rub. Do more than what? This product is not being released in a vacuum. We all know HP only cares about the iPad. These specs will not allow it to do more of anything. Even if you had all the developer support you wanted from day one, you do not have as mature an SDK and hardware ecosystem. How is coming close to the specs of the one you're chasing allowing HP to do more? I don't think a successful tagline will be, "The hPad: h is just one letter short of being i. It can do almost as much." That is not a very good argument, even on geek discussion boards.

HP will have to find something else besides specs to get people excited. I suspect they know that.
    When it comes to OS's I think Apple is 'chasing' HP right now, trying to get it's OS to look more like webOS.. at least multi-tasking wise. Android hired a Palm engineer to make it's OS look more like WebOS. Apple is trying to keep their multi-tasking system up to date without looking like a joke. Blackberry flat out mimmicked WebOS right down to the flicking of cards. Seems to me that all these OS mfg's are trying to implement more of the WebOS style.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    When it comes to OS's I think Apple is 'chasing' HP right now, trying to get it's OS to look more like webOS..
    I'm sorry but this is just delusional, when HP sells more mobile products than ZTE (and everyone here goes "who?") then we'll start to think about how they worry apple. Are they going to rip-off bits that work? Of course, everyone does that. Are they 'chasing' HP? Not on your life.

I was speaking generally, not just at HP. What does having faster, more powerful specs allow you to do? In short, it allows you to have more powerful applications. Imagine, my dear Apple fan, being able to design an entire web site (coding and images) using your iPad. Currently, the technology on an iPad is not powerful enough to run a full photo suite, such as photoshop. But with two cores, more ram, you very well could. And with that full keyboard attachment YOU could edit and write HTML/CSS whatever you'd like. Is that not cool?

I didn't mention HP in my post, nor did I quote any post, and in fact I thanked your post. Please don't assume just because I favor Palm mobile products that I am speaking about that. In general, high specs do allow you to do more.

Now, speaking specifically about HP products, having more ram and faster duel core processors allows you to do more multitasking and will make the over all experience of the platform better. Is that not a good thing? It will also allow developers to do more with your product, which I believe is a good thing. Do you think limiting developers is a good idea? I didn't think so. Of course, it may be good for Apple and Google. If HP limit's their developers, they would be less likely to attract new developers. Which in return is good for HP's competition. Maybe thats what you want?

In the end, my original post was not specific about any platform, and I still stand by what I originally said. But now I am much more specific, since that is what you wanted. Should I go into detail on how better specs can help Google, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Should I go into detail on how better specs can help Google, too?
    Nope.

I agree with you when speaking generally. Specifically, the rumored hPad specs are not quite up to the rumored iP2 specs. There will always be differences in specs. Apple will seldom lead in that category. It just does not seem to be the deciding factor in what product has the best end-user experience.

We don't really disagree much.
    Apple, even though by nature is a hardware company, never wins on the hardware front. Their hardware is great and reliable, but it the superior software on that hardware and the way that they mesh that lures a lot of people.

There's a reason "it just works."

I don't buy the whole "marketing brainwashes" bs. I use my family and fiancÚ for a lot of test-cases as they're about as tech-dumb as one can get. Generally, they always buy what's cheapest; that generally leads them to always calling me a few months after with hardware failure questions or general complaining because something failed.

I took it upon myself to buy my parents and my fiancÚ each their first Apple computer for Christmas in 2009, to make a long story short, the complaints and issues came to an end.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm sorry but this is just delusional, when HP sells more mobile products than ZTE (and everyone here goes "who?") then we'll start to think about how they worry apple. Are they going to rip-off bits that work? Of course, everyone does that. Are they 'chasing' HP? Not on your life.
    Apple or Android isn't worried about HP, but they know when they see a good thing. It seems to me that WebOS is almost becoming 'the standard' for best user experience. By BB and Android 'borrowing' concepts from Palm, it goes to show that they consider WebOS to have merit and value and provide a better multi-tasking user experience.
    We don't really disagree much.
    Exactly.
    So we are using an imap 4 440 now? LInks?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12