Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1.    #1  
    Synergy, which from my understanding is pretty much the same thing as Friend Stream from HTC, is a very good feature. Both of these are. My question is -- does Android, stock, have a "friend stream" app or is this just an HTC feature?

    I ask because when debating WebOS Android users often point to Friend Stream as feature of Android .. but if Android doesn't have it, HTC does, then Android is missing this functionally.

    Also what was the first device that "pulled" all info from facebook and other web sites in your contaacts and sync them?
  2. #2  
    From my limited experience, Android seems to handle "synergy" the same way webos does. I'm not entirely sure what Friend Stream has to do with this...

    (keep in mind I'm still a noob with Android lol)

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3. #3  
    I think Android has something like that with your gmail account but I'm not sure past that. We have it good because it is a built-in feature.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  4. #4  
    Stock Android does the exact same thing webOS' Synergy does and more. It integrates Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, LinkedIn, etc. into your contacts in a unified manner. It's also extendable meaning applications can link into it.
    Last edited by barkerja; 01/30/2011 at 03:32 PM.
  5. #5  
    isn't friendstream more like webos messenger?
  6.    #6  
    From my understanding, Friend Stream is an app that connects and shows your contacts status when your friend is calling. At least, thats my understanding. I don't have an Android phone -- my dad has a Samsung Epic, but he does not have facebook or any online acc so I can mess with it and figure it out (he has a thing with messing with what is his, when I was little he wouldn't let me change the colors or screen on the computer -- even though I was the only one who used it).

    So stock Android DOES link and send all your info into your contacts, not all from different apps?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    From my understanding, Friend Stream is an app that connects and shows your contacts status when your friend is calling. At least, thats my understanding. I don't have an Android phone -- my dad has a Samsung Epic, but he does not have facebook or any online acc so I can mess with it and figure it out (he has a thing with messing with what is his, when I was little he wouldn't let me change the colors or screen on the computer -- even though I was the only one who used it).

    So stock Android DOES link and send all your info into your contacts, not all from different apps?
    Yes, stock Android does that.

    Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  8. #8  
    Friendstream is just a widget which updates to show Twitter, Flickr, and Facebook status updates in one place. It's nothing really special. Tweetdeck and a few other apps do the same thing. Has nothing to do with synergy. But once you put accounts in Friendstream it pulls your contacts and calenders over to your other android apps. One nice thing about android is that you don't have to enter your credentials for every social app that you use. Should be easy to do in webOS.

    Sent from my grubby hand
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Synergy, which from my understanding is pretty much the same thing as Friend Stream from HTC...
    No, Friend Stream is just one of the "Social Media Aggregation" apps that displays multiple feeds in one screen. It is Android that integrates and syncs the account contact and calendar information as a built-in feature. In January, 2009, Palm began calling this "Synergy".

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Android 1.0 synchronized contacts, calendar, addresses, emails, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. when it was released in September 2008. Today Android lets you select which cloud sources to sync including:
    • Microsoft Exchange
    • Facebook
    • Flickr
    • Google
    • LinkedIn
    • Quik
    • Twitter
    • Yahoo!

    For instance, if a Facebook friend updates their info or photos, your phone is updated. When they call, their photo and current status pops up along with their name and number. To add accounts or change settings: Tap Home > Settings > Accounts & Sync.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/31/2011 at 07:33 AM.
  10. #10  
    well, in webOS, I am no longer able to login to gTalk, and that's my main IM
  11. #11  
    Yes it has the feature. I think WebOS does it smoother to be honest as I had to manually link more than i remember doing on my Pre but once linked its good to go even if you wipe your device.
  12. nxg125's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #12  
    I don't use Android but from what you guys are saying, it's about equal when compared to webOS 1.x. webOS 2.x will definitely be a step up though, since it will open Synergy to 3rd party developers. So if the developer of a foursquare app or Flickr app, etc. wants to link contacts from that app to one of your contacts on your phone, they'll be able to.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nxg125 View Post
    I don't use Android but from what you guys are saying, it's about equal when compared to webOS 1.x. webOS 2.x will definitely be a step up though, since it will open Synergy to 3rd party developers...
    With webOS 2.0, Palm Synergy will move a step closer to Android Account Sync.

    Android Account Sync has been open to third party developers since October 26, 2009. Developers choose if their apps will be available for Account Sync. The user selects which of the available accounts to sync and how often to sync. Contact information from these selected accounts is integrated into a single set of contacts and calendar. Similarly, a developer could choose if their app could be included in Search Results.

    Android has included the basic Account Sync features since Android 1.0, on September 28, 2008. This is also when Android first began using Cards and Swiping for the browser windows.

    Palm first called this kind of Account Sync, "Synergy" in January, 2009. This is also when Palm first showed Cards and Swiping.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/31/2011 at 02:45 PM.
  14. #14  
    It does.. AND I can filter out facebook contacts unlike on my pre.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It does.. AND I can filter out facebook contacts unlike on my pre.
    I forgot all about this. Very good tip.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It does.. AND I can filter out facebook contacts unlike on my pre.
    Forgot all about that! Tap People > Menu > View to turn on or off contacts from your different souces including Google, Phone, Facebook, etc.
  17. #17  
    Today I had some free time, so I decided to stop at the mall and finally get a good look at Android. I had never actually used Android myself, and I wanted to see what the hub-bub was all about.

    Now let me say that, until today, my impression of Android was mostly based on what I read in the forums and comments here and on other webOS fan sites--that is, Android lovers have mush for brains and clearly if they knew what webOS will be, they'd grow some brains and become staunchly dedicated webOS users.

    So the first place I went into was the T-Mobile store. They had a working G2 on display. The salesperson was incredibly knowledgeable and hit almost every pitch I threw at him. I was impressed.

    Well, I had gone in there certain that I would not be impressed with Android. But I was.

    After I left I started thinking of other questions, so if anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

    -Can Android do cut and paste?
    -does it truly multitask?

    I have a Pre Plus on Verizon, & I still have almost a year before I can upgrade. I'm pretty happy with my Pre, so I'm not looking at switching anytime soon. But I have to admit, Android looked pretty good, what with the voice searching and widgets, etc. It looked like it did everything the Pre does--but better. Am I missing something?

    So for those who have experienced both OSs, what keeps you with webOS? What are the pros and cons?
  18. #18  
    WebOS 2.0.1 uses the GPU for smooth iphone-like UI. What android device does this? Also from what I have heard on the Palmcast: Android's OS is inconsistent with things like th eUI and specifically the back button. In webOS back gesture goes "up" one level in the application consistently. Not the case in android. It's a mixed bag what one app will go back to and another. Also, webOS seems to have better support for porting and running iPhone-like quality games. Seems like it's a pain in the **** on android. I'd mention the fragmentation, but at this point webOS is just as fragmented. 1.4.0, 1.4.5, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1 it's all over the place.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    WebOS 2.0.1 uses the GPU for smooth iphone-like UI. What android device does this? Also from what I have heard on the Palmcast: Android's OS is inconsistent with things like th eUI and specifically the back button. In webOS back gesture goes "up" one level in the application consistently. Not the case in android. It's a mixed bag what one app will go back to and another. Also, webOS seems to have better support for porting and running iPhone-like quality games. Seems like it's a pain in the **** on android. I'd mention the fragmentation, but at this point webOS is just as fragmented. 1.4.0, 1.4.5, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1 it's all over the place.
    I'm only going to address one thing you've said here, as most of what you have said is untrue.

    The "inconsistency" is not an inherent issue of Android but bad design choices made by the developer. It exists on all platforms (bad design choices), take the new webOS Twitter app Carbon, for example:

    It changes the behavior of the back/forward gesture swipe.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Today I had some free time, so I decided to stop at the mall and finally get a good look at Android. I had never actually used Android myself, and I wanted to see what the hub-bub was all about.

    Now let me say that, until today, my impression of Android was mostly based on what I read in the forums and comments here and on other webOS fan sites--that is, Android lovers have mush for brains and clearly if they knew what webOS will be, they'd grow some brains and become staunchly dedicated webOS users.

    So the first place I went into was the T-Mobile store. They had a working G2 on display. The salesperson was incredibly knowledgeable and hit almost every pitch I threw at him. I was impressed.

    Well, I had gone in there certain that I would not be impressed with Android. But I was.

    After I left I started thinking of other questions, so if anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

    -Can Android do cut and paste?
    -does it truly multitask?

    I have a Pre Plus on Verizon, & I still have almost a year before I can upgrade. I'm pretty happy with my Pre, so I'm not looking at switching anytime soon. But I have to admit, Android looked pretty good, what with the voice searching and widgets, etc. It looked like it did everything the Pre does--but better. Am I missing something?

    So for those who have experienced both OSs, what keeps you with webOS? What are the pros and cons?
    And yes, to both.

    It multitasks differently, but does it very well.

    And has copy and paste, either by selecting specific text or doing all of it.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions