Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Now let me say that, until today, my impression of Android was mostly based on what I read in the forums and comments here and on other webOS fan sites--that is, Android lovers have mush for brains and clearly if they knew what webOS will be, they'd grow some brains and become staunchly dedicated webOS users.
    Oh how I wish that portion could be made sticky for the next time someone asks why there are Android users posting in these forums. How many have been bitten by the "I've been told it was clunky" bug? That's a big reason right there folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    How many have been bitten by the "I've been told it was clunky" bug?
    That's what I believed for a while... I was ignorant though. My main source on Android knowledge came from people on these forums.

Good thing I decided to see for myself! It's not clunky at all... I actually love how Android handles multitasking too. I even like the notifications better... They show up in the top bar instead of pushing everything up from the bottom of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's what I believed for a while... I was ignorant though. My main source on Android knowledge came from people on these forums.

Good thing I decided to see for myself! It's not clunky at all... I actually love how Android handles multitasking too. I even like the notifications better... They show up in the top bar instead of pushing everything up from the bottom of the screen.
    +775,723.41

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Today I had some free time, so I decided to stop at the mall and finally get a good look at Android. I had never actually used Android myself, and I wanted to see what the hub-bub was all about.

Now let me say that, until today, my impression of Android was mostly based on what I read in the forums and comments here and on other webOS fan sites--that is, Android lovers have mush for brains and clearly if they knew what webOS will be, they'd grow some brains and become staunchly dedicated webOS users.

So the first place I went into was the T-Mobile store. They had a working G2 on display. The salesperson was incredibly knowledgeable and hit almost every pitch I threw at him. I was impressed.

Well, I had gone in there certain that I would not be impressed with Android. But I was.

After I left I started thinking of other questions, so if anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

-Can Android do cut and paste?
    -does it truly multitask?

I have a Pre Plus on Verizon, & I still have almost a year before I can upgrade. I'm pretty happy with my Pre, so I'm not looking at switching anytime soon. But I have to admit, Android looked pretty good, what with the voice searching and widgets, etc. It looked like it did everything the Pre does--but better. Am I missing something?

So for those who have experienced both OSs, what keeps you with webOS? What are the pros and cons?
    Use it for a couple weeks and then form an opinion. It takes awhile to see how you like an OS.Also keep in mind that each will present certain strengths and weaknesses. And then again, the strengths and weaknesses may play differently to you than somebody else.

Personally I'd rather staple bagels to my face than use Android but it may work for you. Check out Windows Phone 7 too if you appreciate an interface that is even more silky smooth than webOS.
    Last edited by foosball; 02/01/2011 at 04:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    +775,723.41
    +775,733.41
    You forgot to carry the 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Use it for a couple weeks and then form an opinion. It takes awhile to see how you like an OS.Also keep in mind that each will present certain strengths and weaknesses. And then again, the strengths and weaknesses may be play differently to you than somebody else.

Personally I'd rather staple bagels to my face than use Android but it may work for you. Check out Windows Phone 7 too if you appreciate an interface that is even more silky smooth than webOS.
    Aww.. You added more to your post. I need to retract my 'thank' now... Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I would thank you twice for this... Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ...After I left I started thinking of other questions, so if anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it.

-Can Android do cut and paste?
    -does it truly multitask?
    I did the Guides to webOS when people had these questions about webOS (see links below). Similarly the Android Getting Started Guide includes sections on:
    Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share
    Multitasking

Yes, Android does both very well. Every platform has its strengths. See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android to see where all the webOS features are in Android. Mostly things are just laid out differently.

Also, over 130 of our most requested webOS Patches Are Standard Android Features. It is great to have an option for just about everything but that is a lot of choices to set up at first.

For instance, the Android Search ("Just Type") let's you pick from dozens of things to include in your searches. Android Account Sync lets you integrate dozens of developer sources into your contacts and calendar like Palm will offer soon in Synergy.

iPhone is for people who want one phone size with one keyboard option. Android is for people who want more choices. Both have 200,000+ apps. By the time you are ready to upgrade, webOS will have more key features and apps.

It is like shoes. The shoes that fit a friend great may feel awful to you. Get what feels best to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

After many hours using the Droid, Droid X, EVO, Epic, and Hero, I have to conclude that Android, while maybe not "clunky", is very much a less intuitive and instinctive UX. Even though Android is clearly the more robust and feature-packed OS at this point, the EXPERIENCE of using webos via gestures, consistent UI elements, cards, etc. is what keeps me holding on for a big announcement on Feb 9. I agree wholeheartedly that this "which is best" question can only be answered as a personal preference after fully experiencing the different options.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    even though I made the jump to the Evo, which is great for the price I got it at, I have been extremely surprised ayt how easy it was to learn how to use it. True, it is not as intuitive as WebOS but has a lot of things that makes up for it. I fo miss the swiping of cards and emails every now and again but overall it can do everything you ask for, just in a different way. Copy and paste is a synch and the synergy is very similar. I thought when I first got the phone that I wouldn't like it as much as my Pre, but it is way advanced from where the Pre is. I hope that HP brings out some really quality products(phones,tablets, etc) to really showcase what WebOS can do. Still like the ease of the cards but once you get a great piece of harware, it makes it pretty easy to switch.
    My wife and I recently jumped to Android. She had a Pixi and was constantly asking me how to do stuff and saying how much she hated her phone. I could have waited it out but she was getting downright belligerent about getting a new phone. Its been about a month and she hasn't asked one question about her new phone. So intuitiveness depends on what the user finds familiar.

I still like the concept of webOS, that's why I still come here. Plus precentral/treocentral members are more discerning about competing technology than on most Android forums. It almost seems like they are oblivious of any other platform, except for the general loathing of anything fruit related.

Sent from my grubby hand
    are the phandroids out to astroturf precentral days before new kit is announced?
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    are the phandroids out to astroturf precentral days before new kit is announced?
    Everyone is welcome on this site and this thread is specifically about Android.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    +775,733.41
    You forgot to carry the 1.
    Damn! What calculator on the market do you recommend? LOL

Sent from my eVo
    HP 10B

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Any comparison on battery life. I don't like the form factor of current Android phones, but if that allows better battery life, I'd be interested. I've also grown attached to my 3 touchstones.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Any comparison on battery life. I don't like the form factor of current Android phones, but if that allows better battery life, I'd be interested. I've also grown attached to my 3 touchstones.
    Pre Plus has the worst battery life in the smartphones. And you are complaining about android phone battery life? hehe.
    My Evo has better battery life than my origianl Pre without a doubt. Not only that, but whats not mentioned often, is Android also has a power save mode where if there isn't a signal for a few minutes it stops looking constantly and will instead enter into power save mode. You can manually exit it or wait until it pings to see if there is a network.

That allows me not to have to manage airplane mode to save power. Coming out of the subway with my Pre from leaving my apartment if I forgot to put on airplane mode my battery would literally be in the 70s by 9am.
    Just like with the Pre, there is much that you can do to save battery life:

Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone
    I also thought android was horrible by what i heard about it here. Not so,, multi talking is wonderful and battery is much better. My mugan extended battery for my pre got me 6 hours of heavy use. My mugan for my evo got me over 9 hours of heavy use today. i even listen to howerd stern show today with bluetooth head phones and still got over 9 hours.

Evo-lution
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12