Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Does anyone else feel like BB might by egging HP/Palm on?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Palm made the entire UI of webOS one big browser (just like most web operating systems do). Saying something is done in a browser in other OSes is the same as saying it is OS-wide in webOS. The thing is one big browser people. Even the ability to code in something other than JavaScript or port iOS apps is provided as a plugin. Every "card" that you see is basically a very well styled browser tab. Every app is either a web page (an HTML file with lots of JavaScript) or part of a plugin. They call services on the device or the internet for additional functionality.

Oh and @sketch42, saying something is a web OS is the same as saying it is a web-based OS because that is what a web OS is about. They typically run in a browser and sit on top of a real OS. They usually provide features as service calls. They allow you to have a global view of your "desktop" from multiple devices and locations.

This last point is something that HP is likely to announce on Feb 9th. Many here will proclaim it as a "first" and "only true" just like is done with multitasking. Those who point out that it is not will be labeled trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Palm made the entire UI of webOS one big browser (just like most web operating systems do). Saying something is done in a browser in other OSes is the same as saying it is OS-wide in webOS. The thing is one big browser people. Even the ability to code in something other than JavaScript or port iOS apps is provided as a plugin. Every "card" that you see is basically a very well styled browser tab. Every app is either a web page (an HTML file with lots of JavaScript) or part of a plugin. They call services on the device or the internet for additional functionality.

Oh and @sketch42, saying something is a web OS is the same as saying it is a web-based OS because that is what a web OS is about. They typically run in a browser and sit on top of a real OS. They usually provide features as service calls. They allow you to have a global view of your "desktop" from multiple devices and locations.

This last point is something that HP is likely to announce on Feb 9th. Many here will proclaim it as a "first" and "only true" just like is done with multitasking. Those who point out that it is not will be labeled trolls.
    wow very well said, and in that I can really say IMO watching all those playbook videos of the UI in motion, it so pales in comparison to webos. So to me regardless if it comes out first or last it will not hold a candle on how Webos works on a tablet. Again IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    wow very well said, and in that I can really say IMO watching all those playbook videos of the UI in motion, it so pales in comparison to webos. So to me regardless if it comes out first or last it will not hold a candle on how Webos works on a tablet. Again IMO.
    I don't know about the not holding a candle part since I haven't seen how it works on a tablet yet. But I agree with you that webOS looks and flows better based on what I've seen in the playbook videos and my experience with the Pre.

I'm waiting to see the final product for both and some nice comparison vids on youtube.
    I don't know about the not holding a candle part since I haven't seen how it works on a tablet yet. But I agree with you that webOS looks and flows better based on what I've seen in the playbook videos and my experience with the Pre.

I'm waiting to see the final product for both and some nice comparison vids on youtube.
    I would just like to say, that, this is why I like "debating" "arguing" with you !.. You are for the most part, impartial (i say for the most part bc we all have certain biases).

It is a pleasure seeing your posts, as they are indeed insightful.

Thanks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

def true, also do you think since BB will be looking intially into the 7 inch tablet range, as opposed to HP with 7 and 10, do you think the playbook will most likely not be considered a full direct competitor to the ipad like the topaz will be?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I would just like to say, that, this is why I like "debating" "arguing" with you !.. You are for the most part, impartial (i say for the most part bc we all have certain biases).

It is a pleasure seeing your posts, as they are indeed insightful.

Thanks
    Every now and again I have a moment. There will probably be a blue moon tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    def true, also do you think since BB will be looking intially into the 7 inch tablet range, as opposed to HP with 7 and 10, do you think the playbook will most likely not be considered a full direct competitor to the ipad like the topaz will be?
    Short answer
    It will compete with both.

Long-winded rant
    All I can say is that "I'm" not interested in a 7" tab (I considered it with the Galaxy Tab but it's too small for what I want to do with it). I think it's good that HP will do both however. "One" of the issues with webOS is lack of desired devices so it makes sense to cover what seems to be the most popular sizes for tabs.

Now will the Playbook be a competitor? I vote yes! BB, no matter what people say, is still huge in the enterprise. They are still considered best of breed. They are going to play off of that status. webOS, on the other hand, has a terrible reputation (much of it due to the devices it was launched on, but that's not the only area of concern). So HP has to recover from that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the things that may turn out to be a savior for webOS is the fact that Palm screwed up the marketing. This is what gives HP the chance to "start over" with it while "hopefully" learning from the mistakes Palm made over the last couple of years.

People, including myself, consider it a flaw that the Playbook requires a BB to reach it's full potential. HP seems to want to do something similar (as in, some of the features planed for webOS only make sense if you have multiple webOS devices). The advantage that RIM has is everyone (figuratively speaking) already has a BB so the Playbook has a better chance at reaching it's potential with them. With webOS, everyone will need to purchase multiple devices to get that full potential.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Swiping and cards were in beta in early 2008 and finally released in the Android 1.0 browser in September, 2008.

Google will not take legal action against RIM because while there are trademarks and copyrights, Google made Android Open Source. Google has taken no action against unlicensed Android tablets.

I don't remember seeing swiping or cards used like this prior to Android in 2008.

To hear where swiping and cards are headed, watch Engadgets's half-hour long interview with webOS UI designer Matias Duarte. While Duarte had a hand in Gingerbread and shaped Honeycomb, his next full generation will be Ice Cream later this year.

RIM copied Duarte's work. HP got Palm. Google got Duarte.
    Duarte is one of three people who invented the card metaphor. Card Metaphor For Activities In A Computing Device - Patent application

Palm owns the patent. Rim copied Palm. Google got 1 out of 3 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Duarte is one of three people who invented the card metaphor. Card Metaphor For Activities In A Computing Device - Patent application

Palm owns the patent. Rim copied Palm. Google got 1 out of 3 people.
    nice work finding that.

I wonder how specific it is, I haven't read it, but wouldn't be surprised if its a limited scope thing like the iphones so called multi-touch patent.

computer programing seems to be similar to other artistic disciplines, like music where artists are always borrowing ideas, parts of melodies, beats, inspiration and so forth, from others.

there's nothing wrong with it, as Pete Seeger says, plagerism is the basis for all culture.

also science, with the standing on the shoulders and what not.
    There are four lights.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12