Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just find it ironic that HP decided to have this event so as not to be flooded at CES, only to be flooded the week of their announcement... By people who were at CES.

One has to wonder if they would have been better off doing CES as well. A remarkable product would have no problem standing out, see Motorola Atrix.
  2. Evansgw
    Awesome!

[QUOTE=Smartfah;2841844]Don't worry folks, HP knows what they're doing. Plus on March 14th, Leo Apotheker will reveal his plans & vision for HP & webOS. I'm sure his vision looks something like this.

[IMG]
  3. Evansgw
    Also aren't HP doing a second announcement in March...
    Too much going on!

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    We Missed CTIA!

- CES (Jan 10-16, 45 phones and tablets introduced)
    - Macworld (Jan 27-29)
    - Google Event (Feb 2)
    - Apple iPad 2 (Feb 2)
    - Verizon (Feb 3, iPhone pre-orders)
    - Sprint Magic Event (Feb 7)
    - Dell (Feb 8)
    - HP (Feb 9)
    - Verizon (Feb 10, iPhone event)
    - Samsung (Feb 13)
    - Mobile World Congress (Feb 14-17, Samsung Tab 2, Galaxy S2)
    - CTIA (Mar 21-24)
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    This is starting to look a "little" like the MS/Zune story...big company backing, lots of money and beautiful software. Except Zunes were built like tanks...I still have and use my 4yr old 80gb daily. I hope for you guys sake that hp will be your big shiny knight in armor that will save the webos day and give you everything you hope for and not disappoint.

Sfm Evo
    Good comparison. Also like Zune, WebOS devices may not sell very well compared to the other devices in the market.

I have a Zune HD 32gb. I love my Zune and I will not buy any other MP3 player. I'm going to upgrade to the Zune HD 64gb in the next 2 years. I'm waiting for at most 2 years because I don't need the space now AND I'm hoping the Microsoft will release a new Zune with the Windows Phone OS. Windows Phones have Zune so the Zune device should have the Windows Phone OS. Also I can see all the Windows Phone apps using the Zune desktop app.
    To me, all of these competitor announcements being scheduled after HP sets their date makes me believe that there is some fear amongst the other players that the PalmPad and HP's new WebOS thrust is going to be a serious threat. Especially Google with this latest thrown together Honeycomb event - they must have internal info and of course Duarte works there now. Clearly given that no android 3.0 tablets to market yet leaves the door wide open for WebOS to wow people and claim space ahead of them.

Or maybe I'm just an optimistic foolish launch day Pre owner hoping for big things....
    The competitiors could care less that HP happens to have an announcement coming up.

Picking dates has more to do with not being on top of the others and making sure it does not mess up your trip to Hilton Head. Execs schedule a year out.

Seriously.

Although these dates are released almost last minute, they do that to build a rush of excitement and a buzz.

Call any of these venues and ask if you can book them for next month. They will tell you that you need to book at least 6 months to a year out.

All of these "last-minute" announcements were booked at least 6-months ago. Right now the last-minute announcements are being booked for next year.

Unless they are in a crisis, last-minute announcements never really are.

It's just good marketing.
    So Google's Gingbread "get-to-know you" event announced a mere 1-week before the date of Feb2 was planned a year ago...c'mon man.

I agree with you in general but this on this one you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes, of course. No one's trying to announce before MWC or anything. The industry is quaking at what HP will do.....riiiiiight.
    I know, i know because the iPad was released in Feb. 2010, oh wait, it was APRIL of 2010 iPad Available in US on April 3

..and Apple doesn't have annual refreshes or anything, oh wait they DO have annual refreshes but somehow they are announcing iPad2 TWO MONTHS ahead of time which mysteriously preempts HP's announcement event. Nope, none of that is true at all....

I mean, it's not like Apple released the iPhone EVERY June or the iTouch EVERY September, that's pure fallacy!!

List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's ridiculous, right? Why should anybody be scared about their position in a market if a 300-pound silverback gorilla is gearing up to enter it? Just ridiculous.

I mean, who do you people think HP is? The biggest tech company in the world?? Y'all are acting as though Apple was about to go bankrupt as recently as 10 years ago and might be afraid to lose the hype they're living off of as quickly as they won it. Insane.
    Google doesn't care about HP near as much as they do about apple right now. This is to get in the ipad2 news stories.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    It's good everyone is trying to preempt HP. It means they're afraid.
    Exactly. I think HP could out shine them all. Is Apple really having the WWDC (whatever it is called) on Feb 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    All of these "last-minute" announcements were booked at least 6-months ago. Right now the last-minute announcements are being booked for next year.
    While I agree with most of what you said, I don't agree with this at all.
    Of the events before HP's announcement, one has nothing to do with them (Macworld), others have to do with products already announced/demoed a month ago (Google, iPhone pre-orders), one's from a carrier who will likely SELL HP products (Sprint), and finally there is Dell, who is failing miserably all on their own, and wouldn't be materially affected if HP announced holographic octo-core wristwatch phone/tablet/toaster/vacuum cleaner combos free with a Big Mac value meal at participating McDonalds. Dell can barely get the Venue smartphones to market, much less competitive.

After that, there's Verizon finally selling the iPhone (yeah, lots to fear from HP there....), Samsung doing a pre-MWC event for the Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy Tab 2 (has nothing to do with HP, and that's it.

Meanwhile, HP is practically chanting "Apple, Apple, Apple" with their every internal document and statement from execs like a starry-eyed kid that wants to be just like their big brother.

This idea that anyone is scrambling to "steal the thunder" from HP or is "scared" is laughable, and implies there is thunder to steal. That's not to say that WebOS can never succeed or that there never will be "thunder". But as of right now, they're just another company with another mobile OS and some more touchscreen phones and tablets to sell. No announcement on Feb. 9 is going to change that. Several quarters of increased marketshare, developer momentum and brisk sales in the face of today's competition will.
    I think way too many of you are placing the emphasis on when instead of what. It doesn't matter if HP makes an announcement and it's the only one for a month or if it's in the middle of CES as long as what they announce has staying power.
    If the announcements are for products already announced/demoed, why make another major announcement, as big as the previous ones, just to put the same things on the table? Just for kicks?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is the event for their media store? (Now android will have functioning drm)

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If the announcements are for products already announced/demoed, why make another major announcement, as big as the previous ones, just to put the same things on the table? Just for kicks?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It just means they have a robust portfolio. Samsung had product to show at CES (4g phones for Verizon and T-mobile), but that is just a small part of the package. The real deal are the Galaxy S and Tab sequels, which will be announced in Feb and sustain them through the year.

Likewise, Google had a demo video of Honeycomb, but now they have a finished build worthy of hands-on, plus announcements about their "ecosystem".

Because HP could not get it together for CES, all of their WebOS eggs are in this basket which is just one of many from the industry.

Regardless, it is just an announcement. The release schedule and sales performance is what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    So Google's Gingbread "get-to-know you" event announced a mere 1-week before the date of Feb2 was planned a year ago...c'mon man.

I agree with you in general but this on this one you're wrong.
    Not only this ^^^, but when these big companies call up with short notices they can/will/are generally given access in many cases to what they want just like it happens ALL the time for people/companies with clout, so the notion that Google and others booked there events 6-12 months ago may not be the case (I am sure if they called a hotel and if it was booked, they could easily go elsewhere for a last minute booking), so the 6-12 months with these simple announcements arent necessary.

@Milominderbinder. Also to say the HP competition could care less about its announcement is a real wow. As a former medical sales rep and a small business owner, I can asure you, one is always keeping an eye on the competition and when the largest tech company in the world puts its muscle behind an accusition like webOS, etc. I am willing to bet the house that Google, Apple, RIM, MS and others will be watching/focused on 2/9/11, and HP will have its appropiate representitives watching/focusing on its competitors announcements.

If a company isnt watching/keeping an eye on the competition, it will eventually cease to exist.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/30/2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It just means they have a robust portfolio. Samsung had product to show at CES (4g phones for Verizon and T-mobile), but that is just a small part of the package. The real deal are the Galaxy S and Tab sequels, which will be announced in Feb and sustain them through the year.

Likewise, Google had a demo video of Honeycomb, but now they have a finished build worthy of hands-on, plus announcements about their "ecosystem".

Because HP could not get it together for CES, all of their WebOS eggs are in this basket which is just one of many from the industry.

Regardless, it is just an announcement. The release schedule and sales performance is what matters.
    Did you even *read* my post?? Apple is announcing iP2 TWO MONTHS ahead of schedule (facts in my prior post) yet you failed to mention them in your response. Since you didn't, I'll do it for you.

...Apple is afraid of HP+Palm. No other reason for them to break their standard routine exists except to try and get iPad back into the forefront before HP's devices hit.

Would love to hear your soft shoe routine regarding this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Did you even *read* my post?? Apple is announcing iP2 TWO MONTHS ahead of schedule (facts in my prior post) yet you failed to mention them in your response. Since you didn't, I'll do it for you.

...Apple is afraid of HP+Palm. No other reason for them to break their standard routine exists except to try and get iPad back into the forefront before HP's devices hit.

Would love to hear your soft shoe routine regarding this.
    Did you receive an invitation for that event? I haven't seen it yet so it sounds to me like you are speculating. Also, I think Apple is more concerned with the Xoom than an unannounced HP tablet running on an operating system that hasn't been widely adopted.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast