Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Holy crap guys... Now i see why someone can say the
    new phones from hp arent that amazing... Look at what type of porrable things are possible..... Gees i just wish we didnt have to buy so many different devices to enjoy all these things.

Check out: "Sony's next PSP, codenamed NGP" - www.engadget.com http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/t...get-iphone-url

Betcha didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Sony has just come clean with its next-generation PlayStation Portable. It's actually codenamed NGP and will revolve around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will be compatible with the PlayStation Suite and is backwards-compatible with downloadable PSP games and content from Sony's PlayStation Store.

Specs include a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, WiFi, GPS, a rear-mounted touchpad, the same accelerometer / gyroscope motion sensing as in the PlayStation Move, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and back. Available this holiday season. Wait... what?!
    %Gallery-115184%
    Games will come on "new media," not UMD anymore, but we're unclear on what sort of flash memory is being used. Sony's rather proud of the fact it's offering the world's first dual analog stick combo on a portable device, though we're more geeked about the quadrupling of pixel count from the original PSP.

Sony's live event has been graced by demos of some pretty popular games, including Killzone, Resistance, Little Big Planet, and Uncharted -- with the latter serving as a demo platform to show off how the NGP's rear touchpad can be used to more intuitively climb up some vines. That touch panel on the back is the same size and positioned directly under the front OLED touchscreen, which allows for some pretty sophisticated controls when using the two simultaneously.

The new console's UI will be called LiveArea, which has a bunch of vertically navigable home screens and built-in social networking through PlayStation Network. You can jump between games and the LiveArea without losing your progress and comment on your buddies' great feats of mobile gaming.
    %Gallery-115187%
    In closing its presentation, Sony trotted out Hideo Kojima to show off a cutscene from MGS 4 rendered in real time on the NGP. It was pulled directly from the PS3 version of the game and ran at 20fps, which looked very smooth indeed to our liveblogging eyes. Videos and Sony's full PRPRPR $are$ $now$ $available$ $below$.
    %Gallery-115199%

Show full PRPRPR $text$
    SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES ITS NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Ultimate Portable Entertainment System Makes Its Debut This Year,
    Further Expanding the PlayStation(R) Business in the Portable Gaming Market

Tokyo, January 27, 2011- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation(R). This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE's experience from both PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation(R)3 (PS3(R)) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation's DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.
    ・Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface

NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" moves of the fingers.
    ・Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks

While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users' hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.
    ・LiveArea[TM]

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called "LiveArea[TM]" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation(R)Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.
    ・Near

SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.
    ・New Game Medium

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation(R)Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for Android[TM] based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

-------------------------------

This article came from the Engadget iPhone App, which features everything from the latest smartphone news, to reviews and hands-on looks at laptops, HDTVs, gaming, and more. To learn more about the app or download it go here: http://www.engadget.com/downloads/iphone

Richard Nieves
    - " Live, Love, Inspire, Innovate."
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/29/2011 at 08:54 PM.
    Sony doesn't seem to get that the most technologically advanced device doesn't always equate into a segment winner. They dumped huge resources into the PSP and PS3. Only to be bested by lower cost (higher profit margin) competitors.

Nonetheless, this is going to be a sweet piece of gear. But its got stiff competition from the 3DS and $1 mobile games. The hardcore gamer market isn't what it used to be.

Sent from my grubby hand
    just one word

batteryconsumption

a phone should have a os which can run good with less hardware. I dont want a 4200mAh device which lasts 12h.

think smart. Think green.
    make it phone capable and im sold on it. oh, well maybe. at least ill consider it
  5.    #5  
    I just think the thing is sweet!! Will i buy one? Hell no! Not now! I am a tech geek ya, but a smart one. Sony did horrible with the ps3 initial cost and im sure this will be the same. I expect 400-600 for this and as awesome as it is a gaming device, thats all its really designed for. I would rather buy a tablet which i can use for multiple other things . In 3 years when its actually affordable and has great games ill buy one. As far as battery goes, one of two thinga needa to happen soon. A. Processors learn to consume even less as they get more powerfull or B. We need to an advancement in batery energy. With the world moving towards mobile smartphones and tablets, electric cars ect we need some tony starkish power. Does anyone know of any prototype power sources being worked on that are near being comercialized?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    just one word

batteryconsumption

a phone should have a os which can run good with less hardware. I dont want a 4200mAh device which lasts 12h.

think smart. Think green.
    Just because it's quad core doesn't mean it consumes more battery life. Processors keep becoming faster and more powerful, while requiring less juice to run.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Wow. Don't want one. But wow. What a beast, and that doesn't suffice.
  8. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Don't forget - this isn't due out until the end of 2011. Palm phones will be out a lot earlier than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    Sony doesn't seem to get that the most technologically advanced device doesn't always equate into a segment winner. They dumped huge resources into the PSP and PS3. Only to be bested by lower cost (higher profit margin) competitors.

Nonetheless, this is going to be a sweet piece of gear. But its got stiff competition from the 3DS and $1 mobile games. The hardcore gamer market isn't what it used to be.

Sent from my grubby hand
    True, but you gotta admit, this thing is FEATURE PACKED. Full psn support, trophies, friends, wayyy clearer movies, etc etc. I'm way more interested in this than the 3DS.

Also, losing to another company doesn't mean you aren't successful. Look at the PSP. It sold 70 million units. You telling me that was a failure? On top of that, it was the ONLY handheld that went up against Nintendo and didn't get slaughtered.

The Hardcore market isn't what it used to be? That $1 billion in 6 weeks from Black Ops disagrees. By now it's probably made more than 100x the amount Angry Birds has made in its entire lifetime. And the Hardcore gamer market doesn't care much about $1 mobile games. Do I like playing them when I'm out and about? Yeah. But when I have real games in front of me, I've never chosen phone games over a real game.
    I never said the PSP was a failure. I said it wasn't as successful as the DS. Theres nothing wrong with setting your goal to be #2, but just let me know before I decide to invest any money in your company.

The console hardcore player is alive and well. But the hardcore mobile/handheld player? He never existed. If you look at the top grossing portable games you're going to see casual titles. I'm not so sure that CODs sales numbers apply. Its awesome that they're adding real analogue sticks but you're still on a 5"screen. It's great to play when your on the move but when you're at home and want some serious competition, wouldn't you just play your console?

Sent from my grubby hand
    Sony is obsessed with specs, but making something user-friendly has to go hand-in-hand with that.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    User friendly in terms of what? Its a game system...not a phone. The reason psp games don't sell wasn't because of UI...i think heavy piracy and lack luster titles were the main reason.

The system sold 70 million though.
  13.    #13  
    Idk about most ps fans, but back in the day ps games were about fun and fantasy. Many rpg's and other awesome adventure fantasy games filled the game line up. Then, somwehere along the line came the xbox and then next gen systems. Games started coming out 3 times slower. Where one final fantasy game came out fairly routinly, its taken forever just for 13 and now itll be longer for versus. There are SO many series of games that have not been released for the ps3. The ps3 seemed to gear more towards the realistic games similar to how the xbox did, except it was way pricier and xbox had halo and cod was on all systems. Now its about online games and the old heavy story driven fantasy games are becoming more scarce. Games didnt have to attract everyone they had an audience and ps and ps3 catered to those audiences. Now ps doesnt really release those type of games because they arent mainstream. Gaming shouldnt be mainstream it should be diverse. And creative i miss games likes suikoden and dark cloud and tales games.
    The PS1 gen of games was the best. You had truly genre busting titles. Then like you said gaming became mainstream and social. You can count the number of genres on one hands and not have enough digits to count the sequels. Now with the expectation for better graphics, development costs and time are sky rocketing. That's why we have the current absence of next gen consoles and you have a number of small developers going under.

The comment about Sony not paying attention to UI, probably refers to Sony not developing games specifically for the portable market. It seems like many of the PSP games were console games shrunk down and for most games that results on a crappy experience.

Sent from my grubby hand

Sent from my grubby hand
    nah, remember when ps3 was the overpriced one when the current gen consoles came out?

look who is standing tall now... ps3...

i think its all about "future-proofing"... years from now, the psp2 will be the only one left standing with the right specs to run the latest games...

then again, it might take a few years before the proce goes down, like what happened to the ps3.
    Classic rematch between Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo has won both previous rounds.

Round 1. Sony comes out with a monster machine. It supports full HD with Bluray. Scientists build supercomputers using five or 10 of these things. Nintendo comes out with something that renders 480p. It can't even play DVDs out of the box.

Who wins? Nintendo, thanks to the wiimote.

Round 2. Sony comes out with a handheld that can do it all. It can play movies, songs. It pushed all the boundaries, redefined what we thought was possible with mobile hardware. Nintendo comes out with something that pales in comparison hardware-wise.

The outcome? The DS turns into the second best-selling video game console of all time, second only to the PS2. The PSP? Not even close. Guess that dual-screen must have meant something. Guess that walking around a dog with a stylus meant more than the state-of-the-art.

Both times, Sony pushed the technological boundaries. Nintendo just gave you a gimmick.

What's on the table for round 3? From Sony, a monster quad core mobile machine, capable of PS3 level graphics. Most people still have only single and duo cores. This thing comes with a quad core. A QUAD CORE!

It's an absolute beast. In comparison, Nintendo's offering is a pipsqueak. So what is Nintendo's angle, Nintendo's gimmick? 3D. Play the old classics, in 3D. Walk your dog, play with your cat, in 3D. Your pets will know when someone else walks by with their pets, and all of you can play together, in 3D.

I'll get a 3DS, if not at launch then as soon as I can. I'll save the money I would've spent on the quad-core beast to get a quad-core 4G phone (hopefully running webOS).

Launching more than half a year later certainly doesn't help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I never said the PSP was a failure. I said it wasn't as successful as the DS. Theres nothing wrong with setting your goal to be #2, but just let me know before I decide to invest any money in your company.

The console hardcore player is alive and well. But the hardcore mobile/handheld player? He never existed. If you look at the top grossing portable games you're going to see casual titles. I'm not so sure that CODs sales numbers apply. Its awesome that they're adding real analogue sticks but you're still on a 5"screen. It's great to play when your on the move but when you're at home and want some serious competition, wouldn't you just play your console?

Sent from my grubby hand

Sure, you might see some casual ones, but not all of them. Look at Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for PSP. It's out only in Japan, and within 17 days of launch, it sold 3+ million copies and it became Capcom's fastest selling game ever. That's quite a feat for a 6 year old handheld system.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Classic rematch between Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo has won both previous rounds.

Round 1. Sony comes out with a monster machine. It supports full HD with Bluray. Scientists build supercomputers using five or 10 of these things. Nintendo comes out with something that renders 480p. It can't even play DVDs out of the box.

Who wins? Nintendo, thanks to the wiimote.

Round 2. Sony comes out with a handheld that can do it all. It can play movies, songs. It pushed all the boundaries, redefined what we thought was possible with mobile hardware. Nintendo comes out with something that pales in comparison hardware-wise.

The outcome? The DS turns into the second best-selling video game console of all time, second only to the PS2. The PSP? Not even close. Guess that dual-screen must have meant something. Guess that walking around a dog with a stylus meant more than the state-of-the-art.

Both times, Sony pushed the technological boundaries. Nintendo just gave you a gimmick.

What's on the table for round 3? From Sony, a monster quad core mobile machine, capable of PS3 level graphics. Most people still have only single and duo cores. This thing comes with a quad core. A QUAD CORE!

It's an absolute beast. In comparison, Nintendo's offering is a pipsqueak. So what is Nintendo's angle, Nintendo's gimmick? 3D. Play the old classics, in 3D. Walk your dog, play with your cat, in 3D. Your pets will know when someone else walks by with their pets, and all of you can play together, in 3D.

I'll get a 3DS, if not at launch then as soon as I can. I'll save the money I would've spent on the quad-core beast to get a quad-core 4G phone (hopefully running webOS).

Launching more than half a year later certainly doesn't help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You got your history a little off. There was something called the Gamecube that sent Nintendo into the netherworld with consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Holy crap guys... Now i see why someone can say the new phones from hp arent that amazing... Look at what type of porrable things are possible...
    Um.. am I missing something from this statement? This device isn't a phone. Comparing a cutting edge gaming system to current phones isn't quite right.. they may be around the same size, but apples and oranges (for now). Dunno.. maybe I'm missing something here...<scratches head>
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Um.. am I missing something from this statement? This device isn't a phone. Comparing a cutting edge gaming system to current phones isn't quite right.. they may be around the same size, but apples and oranges (for now). Dunno.. maybe I'm missing something here...<scratches head>
    To you me and knowledgable techies yes but the average tech enthusiast sees it different just as they will say a notebook. They are different genres a netbook is simply designed for veiwing stuff and being mobile whereas todays notebooks are designed for hardcore gaming and computing. They arent exactly the same but i know many uninformed tech people who will call a netbook crap and be jnimpressd. To the average uninformed tech person who simply sees specs, they see the highest as the best and everything else under it isnt anything big. Its mobile so whats the difference. I know its a major balance between battery and size but many people dont think like that. Its got amazing specs so they may see it as totally awesome and dual corea for phones may seem unamazing. The whole point is, when people see something better on something similar, the other thing is better. One place where apple wins, is that it rarely promotes specs. Ive never heard advertisements from apple mention its 512 ram or its 1ghz processor. The tech sites do that investigation for us. Apple promotes the experience. The prkblem with specs is they just sound cool to have more but in reality, they arent the whole experience. Iphone 1 ran way smoother then my pre many times. People just see specs and thus why seeing these specs makes me realize why someone may not think the new palm phones specs are amazing, because they arent crazy cutti g edge and give u that wow factor like i had when reading about the specs, for many its just about the newest tech.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast