Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone complains about a lack of apps while research shows that app purchases are not as big a factor to most users. What's interesting is that of the top apps identified for Apple - quite a few of these are available on webOS - not all obviously.

App Store at 10B: All-Time Apple iOS App Favorites
    Facebook (Free) - avail
    Doodle Jump ($0.99)
    Pandora Radio (Free) - avail US only
    Tap Tap Revenge 3 ($0.99)
    Google Mobile (Free)
    Pocket God ($0.99)
    Shazam (Free)
    Angry Birds ($0.99) -avail
    Movies By Flixster (Free) -avail US only
    Bejeweled 2 + Blitz ($0.99) -??
    The Weather Channel (Free) - ??
    Traffic Rush ($0.99)
    Google Earth (Free)
    AppBox Pro ($0.99) -similar avail
    Bump (Free)
    Skype (Free) -avail US verizon only - no video
    Flight Control ($0.99) -similar avail
    Paper Toss (Free)

Not so good if your not in the US or on Verizon.
    Not a big factor are you kidding? The average Iphone user makes at least 1 app purchase per week. Take the Android market and Iphone market away from their users and you'll have riots.

The Iphone has over 300,000 applications now. If Palm pushed high quality applications with more useful resources and hit all major networks they could actually have a perfect concentration at about 5,000 applications. You didn't mention there isn't any native twitter app, wordpress application, nor official Ebay, ESPN application. Have you picked up an Iphone. They have releases for all new major clothing brands, stores, promotion movie items. Their google maps and other application go above and beyond where as Palm is lucky if you get one extra feature. You didn't mention Android and Iphone devices have up to the hour live video feeds in their weather channel application. Other phone OS are innovating while Palm is lucky to create the residual from the applications.

I had great post last night to why Palm development is so poor. The entire OS allows for a simple standard for quality release though the actual development platform is based off of larger development platforms such as Windows and Apple. When you take that intricate and apply it beneath a simple web based platform you get more confusion to the creation of simple applications. Palm should be able to produce applications as quickly as Blackberry with a high quality programming.

Everything about this platform is consistently slighted and I believe its intentional to gain a complex at this point. Even the titles and headers are off in preferences and options. +/-2 of course palm goes +4 for all options listed below. It these kinds of things that intentionally show incompetency to disturb is users. How about no upload bars when uploading videos and images? So were suppose to wait anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes unknowingly?

This is my first Palm and its obvious Palm thinks the world has no idea about mobile devices. Most people who have smartphones know their devices. This wouldn't be the category to go into and try and practically call the user dumb. A bit strange to this point but their still trying to pull this off in its current state as sold over hype as if their number alone at 1.3% of the market doesn't say enough, thats even low for palm. Whats worse is the company is doing poorly and the solutions to these problems are more a matter of time and simple restructuring and its being taken as this hopeless cause.

Its like oh man were never going to get the fridge through the door as 4 men sit there looking at it. Though in this case its more as if your building a winding ramp to go 5 feet forward. The only answer again is an organization is trying to create unknowing basis within the smartphone community, maybe if you drowned them in pathetic applications below a simple standard it will make phones such as IPhone, Android, and Blackberry seem too good to be true. I think Palm users like yourself are becoming an insult to us all who want the OS to work, as it could be quite solid.

If Palm hit major points of necessary application no one would mind but at this point the phone can be seen as no better then a possible secondary device. Being a secondary device one would need it to be able to do advanced functions, which aren't even too advanced in todays market such as Bluetooth file transfer, satellite calling, or at least quality desktop software. It truly is ashame as the the market progresses, Palm doesn't simply stay behind the curve as some smartphones have but rather cut the progress of the market in strange ways which doesn't allow the market to ever evolve. Ultimately user can easily switch, phones are too expensive and people constantly want new devices. This isn't a car or a house someone ends up stuck with people can forget about this device like it never happened, To not apply more quality developed apps is ridiculous. Each day applications are released on the market that are no better then a piece of paper and a basic calculator with nearly zero GUI or intricacy.
    Last edited by cooz0977; 01/26/2011 at 11:20 AM.
    I think you have a good point but also, I think people just want the number of apps available to them much larger so they have an option to buy. Not that they'll ACTUALLY buy the [crappy] apps but they want to know they can buy them.

I'm pretty content with the apps I have, I definitely would like more but an app store/cat/world isn't my turning point. It's OS usage for sure. I'll take the quality over quantity.
    Sprint Love
  5.    #5  
    Facebook (Free) - Multiple Options
    Doodle Jump ($0.99)
    Pandora Radio (Free) - avail US only (Is iPhone app available outside US?)
    Google Mobile (Free) - multiple options none comprehensive
    Pocket God ($0.99)
    Shazam (Free) - no mic API until version 2.x is more available
    Movies By Flixster (Free) -avail US only (Is iPhone app avail outside US?)
    Bejeweled 2 + Blitz ($0.99) -Multiple similar options Jewel is Free
    The Weather Channel (Free) - Why the questionmarks - Avail and Free
    Traffic Rush ($0.99)
    Google Earth (Free)
    Bump (Free) - Announced Tap to Share - Not yet available.
    Flight Control ($0.99) -similar avail (Air Traffic Control)
    Paper Toss (Free) - Paper Basketball (Free and 1.99 options)

So webOS has these gaps:
    Traffic Rush
    Google Earth
    Doodle Jump
    Tap Tap Revenge 3
    Pocket God
    Shazam

And there are multiple areas where an "equivalent" app is the best webOS can do which may not provide the same user experience.

Given the relative numbers of apps in the two catalogs I'd say HP/Palm has better coverage of the top apps than I expected. How does this list compare on Android, Blackberry and Windows Mobile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Not in Germany
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Not in Germany
    RE: Pandora

So that's a moot point then.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I think you have a good point but also, I think people just want the number of apps available to them much larger so they have an option to buy. Not that they'll ACTUALLY buy the [crappy] apps but they want to know they can buy them.
    I agree with this for the most part. Choice is good. I prefer Blockbuster or Netflix for movie rental over the local rental shop because I know I have a better chance finding the movie I want from the big guys (even though they may carry lots of movies I may never consider renting).
  9.    #9  
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2838961

Combine this with the fact that some studies suggest that the app buying/downloading tapers off rapidly after an initial honeymoon and the users concentrate on core features and a few apps and you can see why I think that the gaps are not all that big.
    These days most iOS apps are either just repeats of other apps or used as advertisements/copies of existing mobile web sites.

WebOS just needs access to a couple of more natively built essentials and it'll be set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    WebOS just needs access to a couple of more natively built essentials and it'll be set.
    Not even HP believes that. Unless they are putting out ads that target developers for the fun of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Not even HP believes that. Unless they are putting out ads that target developers for the fun of it.
    You're confusing "form" and "function". The native essentials are part of the "function" needs. HP is probably trying to get some of those essentials from third-party devs so they don't need to add them themselves but they also want the "form" devs. Just like companies "develop" iOS apps simply as advertising methods I'm sure HP would love to see those companies do the same for webOS simply because of the app store "epeen" measuring stick Apple and Google keep tossing out.
    Negative on the confusion. They are hurting for apps and they recognize it (everyone does). This is good because it means they may continue trying to do something about it. Even Palm recognized it, hence the App Contest, Project Ares, Easy Game Porting via the PDK, the PDK App Contest, and so on.

Update: Apparently, there is yet another app contest planned. $1M is at stake and I think is a lot for "just a few essentials." Again, I think it is good that they are actively working to fix this.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/26/2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    How do we solve our app problem?

Money, Feb 9, Enyo.

I'm thinking we'll be okay.

"DON'T PANIC"
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Facebook (Free) - Multiple Options
    Doodle Jump ($0.99)
    Google Mobile (Free) - multiple options none comprehensive
    Pocket God ($0.99)
    Shazam (Free) - no mic API until version 2.x is more available
    Movies By Flixster (Free) -avail US only (Is iPhone app avail outside US?)
    Bejeweled 2 + Blitz ($0.99) -Multiple similar options Jewel is Free
    The Weather Channel (Free) - Why the questionmarks - Avail and Free
    Traffic Rush ($0.99)
    Google Earth (Free)
    Bump (Free) - Announced Tap to Share - Not yet available.
    Flight Control ($0.99) -similar avail (Air Traffic Control)
    Paper Toss (Free) - Paper Basketball (Free and 1.99 options)

So webOS has these gaps:
    Traffic Rush
    Google Earth
    Doodle Jump
    Tap Tap Revenge 3
    Pocket God
    Shazam

And there are multiple areas where an "equivalent" app is the best webOS can do which may not provide the same user experience.

Given the relative numbers of apps in the two catalogs I'd say HP/Palm has better coverage of the top apps than I expected. How does this list compare on Android, Blackberry and Windows Mobile?
    Question marks were cos i marked the list up from memory and thought there might be something similar.

Netflix and Pandora don't exist in the UK. We have Lovefilm(now owned by amazon) and Spotify the later has a good app. Wasn't trying to be negative, but i just noticed that europe has it a little worse.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    How do we solve our app problem?

Money, Feb 9, Enyo.

I'm thinking we'll be okay.

"DON'T PANIC"
    With HP putting WebOS on multiple devices, I think we will see a change in how many folks will be producing apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Negative on the confusion. They are hurting for apps and they recognize it (everyone does). This is good because it means they may continue trying to do something about it. Even Palm recognized it, hence the App Contest, Project Ares, Easy Game Porting via the PDK, the PDK App Contest, and so on.

Update: Apparently, there is yet another app contest planned. $1M is at stake and I think is a lot for "just a few essentials." Again, I think it is good that they are actively working to fix this.
    Nice find there. I find it worrisome that amidst all these tablet leaks, there has been zero mention of new phones.
  18.    #18  
    OK - A business focused list:

https://www.networkworld.com/slidesh...ess-apps.html#

iTerminal (Free + Fees) - Intuit GoPayment (Free plus Fees)
    (Accept Credit Card payments on your phone.)

Encamp (9.99) - Outline Tracker (free or $19.95) (+ others)
    (Project and Task Management)

Flight Track Pro (9.99) - Flight Track (4.99)
    (Flight Tracking, gate tracking,etc.)

mbPointer (2.99) - Presentation Controller (4.99)
    (PPT Controller plus Mouse/Touchpad)

Analytics App (5.99) - Analytics (4.99)
    (Google Analytics info application)

LinkedIN (Free) - LinkedIn (Free)
    (LinkedIN client)

QuickOffice Mobile Office Suite (12.99 sale) -DocView (Free - No Editing)
    (Fills gap in native iPhone MS Office document handling adding editing)

ClockIn (1.99 sale) - Clock In (2.00 - not the same publisher)
    (Time tracking)

ebay Mobile (free) - AuctionMate (Free & 2.99 Pro) and others
    (Ebay mobile app from Ebay)

Evernote (free) - Evernote (free but less functions due to api's)
    (Productivity including notes, voice notes, etc. )
    Here are some of the Android Apps I miss in webOS. I think all of these except Flash, Keyboards, and Folders are in iOS too.

Basic Apps
    Email: K-9 Mail adds many features. • Touchdown for Microsoft Exchange.
    Messaging: HandCent SMS and ChompSMS
    Browsers: Dolphin Browser HD and Opera Mini browser
    Keyboards: SwiftKeySwypeThickButtons
    Cameras apps - Here are 1400+ camera and photo apps
    Music Players: Music PlayerMeridianTuneWiki (with lyrics)
    Battery Status - Puts the real battery percentage in the Notification Bar.
    FolderOrganizer - Sets up folders, change icons, and increase from 4x4 icons to 4x6 or even 5x6.

Productivity & Reference
    Voice Search - This is what Voice Actions is actually called. For 2.2 or higher.
    Talk To Me - Listens to one language and says it in another!
    Photoshop - Edit photos and image files on your phone.
    Realtor or Zillow - See real estate listings around you with inside photos and details.

Media
    Shazam – Listens to a song and tells you title & artist.
    Barcode Scanner Scans and gives you links. Is something cheaper online?
    • eReaders: • KindleNOOK A million free books

Multimedia
    Discovery Channel - huge selection of videos from all their channels.
    IMDb - Internet Movie Database also photos, trailers, clips, etc.
    Google Sky Map – Astronomy made fun
    Tuner - gStrings - Now your phone tunes your guitar.
    Flash Player 10.1 - Opens up so much Internet content others miss.
    Bump -Bump another Android or iPhone to share photos or contacts.
    Skype - free calls over 3G or WiFi.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/26/2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This list works just fine as long as we all use the same list of apps. Then we will all be happy. Please don't develop any hobbies or interests. Don't expect to use your smartphone for any professional or work-related tasks. If you want to play an instrument don't expect your smartphone to replicate the sound. Use real instruments only. Don't expect to do any banking or finance. If you want to use Skype, find a PC.

If everyone sticks to that then these apps will be more than enough.
    To use a sports analogy, Apple has a great starting five, but they also have a ridiculously deep bench. People can try and aim for parity with the "top" Apple apps all they like. Notice how few of them show up in Apple commercials anymore. There are so many more appealing games, showy custom apps like the NASA app, or the onslaught of content like iPad magazines and official comic book stores. Personally, very little of this stuff interests me, but I recognize the utility and the wow factor for others...the steak and the sizzle, so to speak.

This stuff matters in the marketplace. You can cite polls that may suggest otherwise, but it's hardly coincidental that the pecking order of app stores is almost perfectly parallel (Blackberry excepted) to the current marketshare and mindshare leaders in the smartphone market. A healthy, constantly-evolving app ecosystem is - if nothing else - an obvious sign of a platform's health and vitality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast