Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems that sometime around 2008 laptops overtook desktops in shipments. At one point, laptops were considered "not powerful enough" for some of the heavier computing tasks businesses and consumers needed. Today, more and more businesses seem to be moving to laptops for their employees. Consumers seem to be moving in the same direction (personally, I do all my heavy computing on a 17" MBP).

Tablets are in now. Accessories are being produced for them. Apps are being written for them. As their ecosystems mature, is it possible that tablets will become the standard computing device one day?
    Last edited by taharka; 01/26/2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Updated title
    No...they will not. You can pry my desktop with 2TB of space from my cold dead hands.

I forgot who made the analogy....but they'll always be a need for Mack Trucks. Meaning there will always be a need for a more powerful computer that current tablets can not match.

Now could it be the standard computing device? Depends what you mean by standard. Do I think there will be a day when there is only an iPad or another tablet in a household instead of a computer? No. But i'm also thinking of how they are right now...i think they are great supplemental tools...but I think only a small percentage of people would be happy with only a tablet.
  3.    #3  
    So what happens when there is another accessory that provides a dock of some sort that gives you access to more drives space, keyboards, etc. just by dropping it in?

Mac Trucks are needed because there is no way to upgrade a car to carry those loads and planes can only get you to the closest airport. Tablets can be augmented with accessories.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I can see it for a lot of users, when you are at home, you plug the tablet into a larger screen and a keyboard and use it that way (as a lot of users currently do with laptops).

Having said that, I used latops for years and carried them around with me and then finally realised that it was a waste of time for my particular usage, on the move I do virtually no document review or editing and it's all about phone and email - so now I have a desktop with two big screens and a 70 android phone for out and about.

Maybe I'll get a tablet one day but really it doesn't make any sense for me at the moment, I get more added value from a desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So what happens when there is another accessory that provides a dock of some sort that gives you access to more drives space, keyboards, etc. just by dropping it in?

Mac Trucks are needed because there is no way to upgrade a car to carry those loads and planes can only get you to the closest airport. Tablets can be augmented with accessories.
    What you're describing is a modular computer (or a decomposable desktop) where the screen can be separated from other aspects of the device for mobility. It's a good idea. It's been done before. It's being done now (Lenovo for one).

However, like your Mack truck analogy, devices that can overcome the competing characteristics of light weight, portable size, powerful as a desktop, all day battery life (or more), and run existing software are still a few years away.

By the time all those issues are solved to my satisfaction, I would hope we have the option to carry computers/communicators internally (like an implant) and rely solely on wireless technology to link up to more powerful peripherals.
    related question: will laptops replace desktops? Maybe, but not anytime soon - at least not completely.

similar answer to your question about tablets replacing laptops/desktops.
    I have a 40 inch Sony TV plugged into my desktop. I'm not going to use a tablet or a laptop at my work desk anytime soon.

And I like being able to sit a laptop on... my lap. The screen is in front of me, and my hands can rest while I type.

The only thing I would use a tablet for is fun, movies, email, web browsing. And I'm not sure I'll spend more than a hundred dollars to do that.

I am not the person that a tablet maker is trying to sell to.

And I'm obviously not the majority of human beings on the planet.

Tablets will take over laptops eventually. I just can't help thinking that they're a bit of a fad.

It's not the accessories that fix the problems of using one in place of a laptop. It's the software available. It's not up to par of desktop apps such as Office.

Once we cross that barrier, then sure. But for now MS calls the shots. It's a windows world along with Office. Maybe MS will do a rewrite strictly for a tablet experience.

I think as well, these are distracting us from smartphones. It's what this forum started as and seems to be turning into tablets. Does anyone care anymore about being able to have all this in your pocket? Smartphones are just as powerful if not moreso. Why not envision being able to use a smartphone instead?

For example, i can already play a movie on the phone and have it appear on a monitor with an apple tv attached. Take that to the next level.

Bottom line, i could replace a tablet with a smartphone (since its basically the same thing) a lot easier than i could replace a laptop with a tablet. So if A can replace B, and we're trying to get B to replace C. Then why not make the jump of A replacing C?
    No... It would be very difficult to work on graphic applications, music applications. video editing applications. I have two 23" screens in front of me and most of the time I would have the need for a third one... and if you mean like having a tablet and two screens connected, a keyboard connected, some midi device connected, mouse etc... putting the tablet in some kind of cradle... maybe... but even if typing onscreen keyboard would be really efficient... I can type with all 10 fingers. very fast. And Im sure it will not be so easy for me onscreen... and to carry a tablet and mouse and keyboard in my bag.. then its more easy to have a small ntb..
    As I lay in bed typing this on my laptop I have to ask, how easy would it be to do this on a tablet? In my opinion, much harder. I have my laptop resting on a pillow, with both hands free, with a tablet I'm stuck holding it at the best viewing angle and whatnot. I will forever have a laptop.
    Yes, I think tablets will replace desktops for typical, day-to-day home use--and work use in some instances. Now, there may be a desktop-sized server or access point that links all those devices in a building or what have you. But I can really see everyone on a tablet or smartphone.

We'll always need Mack trucks, but not everyone has to drive them. Walmart doesn't issue a semi to every cashier. So the home user or the office worker who merely does database entry will not need a Mack truck of computing.

I think as memory gets smaller and image projection advances, things will continue to change.

The only problem I see is heat. You start having TBs of processing done in any size device--that's a lot of heat.
    Not necessarily tablets, but thin-clients will take over relatively soon.

With services like Onlive for gaming, and Amazon's hosted servers for development (I would imagine other solution would pop up soon for Microsoft Developers), client-side hardware is quickly becoming less and less useful.

I would imagine you'd have plenty of people who will stick with outdated lines of thought way after better solutions are available. But the majority of users will probably be on thin clients in a reasonable timeline, especially with the explosion of popularity of netbooks, tablets, and smartphones.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Interesting, but it is like asking, "Will the Ipod replace the need for a home stereo?" For some; maybe. For most; probabably not. I am not going to bake a cake in my toaster oven. Just like I wouldn't create a large project on a tablet, but I would throw in a toaster struddle

Will the tablet be used by the owner more than their laptop? I would say yes, but I think the percentage of people who own a tablet, and not a laptop or desktop will be small. I use my smartphone more than my laptop now, but I still couldn't live without the size, ease, and power of my laptop.

I do think that the tablet will kill the netbook. The netbook will become the Betamax to the tablet's VHS.
  14.    #14  
    I'm not sure the home stereo vs ipod is a good comparison. A home stereo is made up of many components and there is usually a device that plays purchased music in that mix (like a cd player). The iPod simply becomes another component in the system, not the system itself. It's like comparing a blue-ray player to a home theatre system rather than comparing it to a dvd player.

Now if you want to compare iPods to a boombox or an alarm/clock/radio or something like that (a standalone device), I think that would be closer to the point.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You have to wonder about RSI and other conditions over time? What is going to be the impact of typing on screen at funny angles for years and years?
    I don't want to start assuming a lot of people's ages...but i think most of us here are tech savy younger individuals (no insult to the older crowd on pre central).

I honestly have a hard time imaging anyone our age or younger, who were raised on computers and understand the benefits of them vs. a mobile OS tablet, would be fine with just a tablet in their house hold.

Like someone ele said, i could easily replace an android tablet in its current state with my Evo...but i have nothing to replace my desktop with. I also don't want a Frankenstein contraption to hook up my tablet to everything.

Such docking stations already exist, but they are limited. For instance, my docking station allows one built in hard drive (which I will never use, since high speed USB support my drive needs) and one video card.

However, if I want to use more than one video card, I'm out of luck. Also, the cards I add cannot be full size cards.

To use the "mack truck" analogy from above - even adding pickup trucks in the mix still doesn't replace the need for mack trucks.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I don't want to start assuming a lot of people's ages...but i think most of us here are tech savy younger individuals (no insult to the older crowd on pre central).

I honestly have a hard time imaging anyone our age or younger, who were raised on computers and understand the benefits of them vs. a mobile OS tablet, would be fine with just a tablet in their house hold.

Like someone ele said, i could easily replace an android tablet in its current state with my Evo...but i have nothing to replace my desktop with. I also don't want a Frankenstein contraption to hook up my tablet to everything.
    See, I think it is the tech savvy younger individuals that are more likely to change. Hasn't it always been like that?

While I agree that mobile OSes as they are currently are not powerful enough yet, the question is about what may happen down the line.

Also the Frankenstein contraption thing is a bit much. I've seen iPads with the bt keyboard, it's still very slick. Something like the dock for the Atrix could be very slick. There is cloud computing to consider. Heck, you can even print from the cloud now. I most certainly do not believe we are there today. The question is whether we can get there. I believe we can and will.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Such docking stations already exist, but they are limited. For instance, my docking station allows one built in hard drive (which I will never use, since high speed USB support my drive needs) and one video card.

However, if I want to use more than one video card, I'm out of luck. Also, the cards I add cannot be full size cards.

To use the "mack truck" analogy from above - even adding pickup trucks in the mix still doesn't replace the need for mack trucks.
    Isn't the fact that something already exists but is limited one of the biggest reasons people predicted the iPad would be a huge failure? Couldn't those existing docking stations be made better? How is it that laptops have been able to get such a strong foothold despite not having as many ports or options as a full desktop? Can these problems not be solved at all?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You have to wonder about RSI and other conditions over time? What is going to be the impact of typing on screen at funny angles for years and years?
    Won't we likely find ways to deal just like we've worked towards dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast