Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think this is germane to all platforms. I came across this article this morning:

Google’s Android platform manager Eric Chu knows that though the number of Android smartphone users may be rising quickly, the number of purchases of paid apps in the Android Market is not doing nearly as well. In fact, Google is downright “not happy” about the purchases of paid apps, said Chu during a question-and-answer session with anxious app developers at the Inside Social Apps conference in San Francisco on Tuesday.
    Unhappy With Slow Growth Of Android App Purchases, Google Talks 2011 Roadmap - Oliver Chiang - SelectStart - Forbes

This isn't an android only problem, all platforms are having issues upselling users from free to paid apps.

1) What do you think are the ramifications of this? (for all platforms rather than simply google marketplace).

2) What compels you to buy apps? What *would* compels you to buy apps?
    Last edited by CGK; 01/26/2011 at 07:40 AM.
    i have 19 apps. 7 have been paid.

if i have to choose between a 99cent app or a free with advertisment, i will choose the 99 cent one.

i am willing to pay to 5 euro for a good ad-free app. I like apps, which are helping me to make tasks faster like newsroom drpodder or vlc/media remote (have both).

if i have to choose between a paid app and a opensource app i will choose the open source and donate. A company can always stop to support a os, but opensource there is always someone who will continue, even if i have it to do myself.

the only app with ad i have is leo dict, because there is no alternative at the moment in the same quality, but i would pay for it only to remove the ad.

yeah, i hate ads.
    looks like the thousands of applications in the android market place, the ones to purchase are not being utilized as much as the devs of those apps, and Google would like. They state there will be a huge overhaul to do so.

Google 'not happy' with Android Market purchase rates, many changes coming -- Engadget

to me this is the tough thin line between alot of apps that arent being bought, and a good amount of apps that are. Since what could happen is the developer for certain apps, that arent being supported by buying them, they could just stop, making new, updating, or upgrading them and focus elsewhere.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 01/26/2011 at 07:28 AM.
    1) What do you think are the ramifications of this?
    Not so much... MAYBE the Big "G" is not happy, but ask if gonna close the AndroMarket... :lol: :lol: :lol:

2) What compels you to buy apps?
    If is REALLY useful, and good design help, too...

What *would* compels you to buy apps?
    Good price!! The best application with high price, no body buy...

The REALLY revolution created for the Apple, was help to sell apps for lowest prices!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Well when you have AppPlanet, why do you need to buy? (sarcasm)

And why the hell is this in Palm General Chat?
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    sometimes i would like a trial, because often i cant decide if the app is worth the price and if its not nobody will refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well when you have AppPlanet, why do you need to buy? (sarcasm)

And why the hell is this in Palm General Chat?
    where is it supposed to be then?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    thanks MODS please move. I appreciate how you handle it being in the wrong spot thanks mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think this is germane to all platforms. I came across this article this morning:

Unhappy With Slow Growth Of Android App Purchases, Google Talks 2011 Roadmap - Oliver Chiang - SelectStart - Forbes

This isn't an android only problem, all platforms are having issues upselling users from free to paid apps.

1) What do you think are the ramifications of this? (for all platforms rather than simply google marketplace).

2) What compels you to buy apps? What *would* compels you to buy apps?
    I wounder what it is now, because in 09 apple customer downloaded more paid apps then android:

"The survey found that 19 percent of Android users regularly download one or more paid apps a month, compared to 50 percent of iPhone users and 40 percent of iPod touch users. Could that large gap be because there are more apps for iPhone/iPod touch than there are apps for Android phones? Maybe these numbers are so drastic because there are less Android users out there"

Apple App Store sells twice as many apps as Android Market | ZDNet

I wounder if this is still the case, what is the reason?
    I wounder if this is still the case, what is the reason?
    'Personal Ads", I believe... the Apple users like to post/comment in all places about "wonderfull apps", while the Android users are less impressed; consequently, speak less about then...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    android has no quality control and there are many black hats in the community.

you should not forget that a iphone cost 600 - 700 euros, if you have paid the phone you wont have regrets to pay 99 cent for an app

android has more low budget phones and customers.
    heres a suvery from Eweek back in 09/10, it does seem to still be the case 6 months ago or still:

Apple iPhone Store Eclipses Android Market in Paid Apps - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

they state:

Google's Android operating system may be riding high in 2010, but Apple's App Store remains the mobile application market of choice for developers to get not only placement, but to also get paid.

Application users who frequent Apple's App Store download nearly twice as many apps as those who go to the Android Market or the BlackBerry App World Store, according to a Nielsen report on the state of mobile apps.

Nielsen's research about paid versus free apps dovetails with findings from Royal Pingdom, which noted that about 70 percent of the apps in Apple's App Store are paid. Conversely, 64 percent of the apps in the Android Market are free.

Moreover, Apple App Store customers said that for every two free apps they download, they typically pay for one.

However, app users who navigate the Android Market and BlackBerry App World report more than 3.5 free apps for every one they buy.

some quotes from within the article. He also states reason why he thinks Apples store sells more paid, which are very good reasons that he states.
    Apple markets its apps. Commercials focused on them. Itunes makes it easy to purchase and each account has a CC attached to it usually. This is why Apple touts all those accounts with a credit card during each of their events.
    I would pay for my apps if I had some way to get money on my phone,but typially I would prefer a free alternative. But since I don't have a paypal... *shrug*
    I think allowing apps to charge right to your phone bill is the next big thing.
    hopefully this is something HP sees, that they need to not just gain developers to make apps, but market them like Apple does. As well as make a easy way to pay for them via carrier, or how Itunes is setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Apple markets its apps. Commercials focused on them.

Google pushes Android. Manufacturers push Android-based devices. Apple pushes their ecosystem.

It almost seems like Apple doesn't care about the iPhone. It's just a pass for a user to enter into the ecosystem. An iPhone commercial basically says "Hey, look as all these amazing things you can do. They are called apps. Oh yeah, you need this particular device to run them."

I strongly believe people buy the iPhone so that they can get the apps they need. It is the focal point. With an Android device, I believe people buy them for the device itself. Then they try to enhance it with apps (more as an afterthought).

Not sure how to fix this. Advertise better? Try to make apps the point of it all like Apple does? I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    where is it supposed to be then?
    Cross-platform Chat maybe?
    I really like how Google is suggesting a tiered, upgrade approach. I would love it if developers did something like this...

$0.00 - Basic - ads with "Remove ads for X.XX - tap here."
    $X.XX - Advanced - remove ads, add features

When you click on an Advanced menu option, it offers to let you upgrade to unlock that feature.

That way the developer is supporting one app. Titanium Backup and Astro File manager and many other are already doing this with great success where you buy an unlock code.

Later the developer may add an amazing new feature for a Gold level allowing the developer to get additional revenue even though the basic app was paid for life.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/26/2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Don't forget that Rovio will not offer a paid version of Angry Birds to Android users due to the money that they make on ads. There are multiple ways to skin this cat. The whole thing bucks a trend that I ran across (can't find the link right now) that smartphone users download a bunch of apps early on - rarely use more than a handful of them, and then don't spend money on apps and essentially concentrate on the core features of the phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast