Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    milominderbinder: I Like IT!!!!! +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kablin View Post
    milominderbinder: I Like IT!!!!! +5
    I really like that idea too!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Most people only use a handful of apps. My handful, however, is going to look nothing like your handful or the next guys handful. Just for finance I use Bank of America, Wells Fargo, E*Trade, Vanguard, and Chase. Each has an iOS app. Then I use Mint to aggregate everything. I use at least one of these every day.

This is what many don't understand about the benefit of a "long tail" in an app store.
    It's because Google makes app purchases more difficult than it has to (or is expected to) be.

Allowing for multiple storefronts sounds good when you're touting the "open-ness" of your platform but all it really does is confuse your customers.
    IDK, I've had smart phones before the Pre, but never purchased any apps until getting the Pre. I think many people don't purchase a lot of apps and are content with stock apps.
    I'm very hesitant to buy something that either doesn't have fantastic reviews or doesn't offer a trial.

Generally, I try to stay under $2.50 for a really fantastic-looking app. BUT, I paid the $5 for Scratch Word because it was the only app available that synced with Google Docs. (This was a while ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's because Google makes app purchases more difficult than it has to (or is expected to) be.

Allowing for multiple storefronts sounds good when you're touting the "open-ness" of your platform but all it really does is confuse your customers.
    I've always questioned people when they make this claim. How is Google Checkout any more difficult or cumbersome than setting up your account in iTunes?

But I get where you're coming from. There needs to be one single account, similar to iTunes, that makes everything simple and straight forward.

I know for me it was always the worry of "is this app going to work well on my device". At least on iOS you know no matter which generation device that you own, the application is going to work (if it doesn't, it's not listed in the app store to begin with).
    I suspect the newer iOS devices run apps better. I get crash after crash with some apps on my 3G, but smooth performance on my iPod Touch 4th gen. Same exact app.

After the 5th iPhone is released, my 3G will have to go for sure. I don't think it can handle newer versions of apps and 4.3 is not going to run on it anyway, from what I understand. So it's just about a completely phased out device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've always questioned people when they make this claim. How is Google Checkout any more difficult or cumbersome than setting up your account in iTunes?

But I get where you're coming from. There needs to be one single account, similar to iTunes, that makes everything simple and straight forward.
    It's not the payment method that's the problem -- it's the fact that Android doesn't have a centralized app store.

Gameloft games, for example, are sold exclusively through their own distribution channel. That seems so nuts to me.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I
    t's not the payment method that's the problem -- it's the fact that Android doesn't have a centralized app store.
    What percentage of people do you think notice or care?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I

Quite a few or Google wouldn't make their displeasure with their app store numbers public.
    Well, Google seems to care a lot.

I'd imagine users will start caring if they hit up the App Marketplace to try to find something that isn't there because it's exclusive to Amazon's Android app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's not the payment method that's the problem -- it's the fact that Android doesn't have a centralized app store.

Gameloft games, for example, are sold exclusively through their own distribution channel. That seems so nuts to me.
    Very true. It's been a few months since I've been on Android, and to be honest, I don't even know where to begin to download/purchase Gameloft's games. If I was an average consumer, and all I knew was the app market, how would I be exposed to Gameloft's games?
    Games are the worse...i'm guessing developers want more changes in Androids market before they put their apk's up there.

Other apps i get from the android marketplace exclusively.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post

This is what many don't understand about the benefit of a "long tail" in an app store.

Yep which is why the "why does anyone want more than the 52 apps that WebOS provides?" approach is so misguided.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quite a few or Google wouldn't make their displeasure with their app store numbers public.
    That's about conversation rates *within* the app store, my question was "how many customers know or care that apps exist *outside* the marketplace? If it's more than 10% I'd be amazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I

That's not what I get from the article. I think Google is disappointed with the number of sales, because they're not getting as large a profit stream as they'd like.

I'm much in favor of the mutilple availability. I don't like the idea that one company can halt a given application for the OS they produce. If Microsoft had that type of power over what's available for PCs, we'd all be screaming.
    I think price has a lot to do with it. People don't want to pay a lot for things they will only play for a few minutes or use sparingly. Also the fact that they have a lot of ad-supported, "FREE" versions of games hasn't been a proven cash machine either. Keep price points low, get rid of ad-supported games and demos, and take advantage of your return policy. That should help things.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's not what I get from the article. I think Google is disappointed with the number of sales, because they're not getting as large a profit stream as they'd like.

I'm much in favor of the mutilple availability. I don't like the idea that one company can halt a given application for the OS they produce. If Microsoft had that type of power over what's available for PCs, we'd all be screaming.
    Really? I don't have an issue with a single entity in charge of something like an app store. I'm always in favor of ease and simplicity.

I can see how it appeals to some, but for most I think having everything in one single location is ideal. It's cumbersome to have to check multiple sources, manage multiple accounts, etc.

Not to mention, it takes things like "Synergy" out of the equation.

Also, it makes pushing updates to your applications very tedious. A user may run with an outdated or troublesome app for a long while before they realize there is an update for it.
    Last edited by barkerja; 01/26/2011 at 03:44 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast