1.    #1  
    Just came across this article about what OSes developers like to develop for by percentage.

Coder Android love (nearly) matches iPhone lust • The Register
    There is no question HPam need to aggressive court app developers.

And IMHO, they should pay to bring some important apps to the platform. By important, I mean:

Document to go
    Firefox
    Google Navigation
    Google Earth
    skype/qik
    netflix
    hulu
    epocrates

etc

WebOS already has some very high quality apps, to increase the market share and build the ecosystem, pay 10m to those app developers.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Once "hybrid" PDK apps finally come on to the scene you'll see a lot more developer support. Unfortunately right now it's either *all* HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $or$ *$all$* $native$ $C$/$C$++ $utilizing$ $either$ $SDL$ $or$ $OpenGL$ $for$ $graphics$. $Quite$ $a$ $few$ $developers$ $have$ $a$ $good$ $deal$ $of$ $C$/$C$++ $code$ $written$ $for$ $other$ $platforms$ $that$ $could$ $be$ $ported$ $relatively$ $easy$ $if$ $there$ $was$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $drop$ $a$ $UI$ $on$ $top$ $of$ $it$. $Once$ $that$ $happens$ $things$ $will$ $change$ ($to$ $what$ $degree$ $no$ $one$ $knows$)

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Once "hybrid" PDK apps finally come on to the scene you'll see a lot more developer support. Unfortunately right now it's either *all* HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $or$ *$all$* $native$ $C$/$C$++ $utilizing$ $either$ $SDL$ $or$ $OpenGL$ $for$ $graphics$. $Quite$ $a$ $few$ $developers$ $have$ $a$ $good$ $deal$ $of$ $C$/$C$++ $code$ $written$ $for$ $other$ $platforms$ $that$ $could$ $be$ $ported$ $relatively$ $easy$ $if$ $there$ $was$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $drop$ $a$ $UI$ $on$ $top$ $of$ $it$. $Once$ $that$ $happens$ $things$ $will$ $change$ ($to$ $what$ $degree$ $no$ $one$ $knows$)

- Phil -
    Let's hope HP doesn't rely on this "assumption" and goes out and "aggressively invite" developers to the platform.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/25/2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Isn't that survey only of developers who are using Appcelerator Titanium to develop their apps?
    This is a blog post that I reference frequently and it really applies here. It gives you perspective from the developer and why they choose the platforms they choose:

Marco.org - Developers don't rush to new platforms

Marco is a very respectable and well-known iOS developer.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Isn't that survey only of developers who are using Appcelerator Titanium to develop their apps?
    It does but it's trends seem to be no different from any other survey I've seen in this area, constantly developers are not interested in developing for WebOS, something that HP needs to get a grip of. Even more interestingly (and worrying), interest in a HP tablet has declined as we have got closer to Feb 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Once _______ finally come ... you'll see a lot more developer support.
    that has pretty much been said with everything that has been supposed to come out palm related for more then a year and a half now.

The tools aren't the reason companies aren't making webos apps. It's that there's aren't enough users to make it worth their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    that has pretty much been said with everything that has been supposed to come out palm related for more then a year and a half now.

The tools aren't the reason companies aren't making webos apps. It's that there's aren't enough users to make it worth their time.
    It's a combination of both. I'd say more so due to lack of a market share but also the lack of API's and a robust SDK has played a role in lack of apps as well.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's a combination of both. I'd say more so due to lack of a market share but also the lack of API's and a robust SDK has played a role in lack of apps as well.
    Lack of HARDWARE too. *fingers crossed for Feb 9th*
    Last edited by kld2009; 01/26/2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: addition
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    Lack of HARDWARE too. *fingers crossed for Feb 9th*
    For some. Me, personally, and other iOS developers that I know never had any real issues with the Pre -- from a hardware standpoint -- it's always been software.

It's sad that the first-generation iPhone still outperforms the Pre.
    I'm not a dev, but I've wondered about programming for the various OSs. Which one is easiest to program for? And which is the most fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I'm not a dev, but I've wondered about programming for the various OSs. Which one is easiest to program for? And which is the most fun?
    It depends on lots of things. For me, I look for the language used and the available tools. I work with both Java and JavaScript (among other technologies) all day on my 9-5 so I find Android and webOS easy to develop for. I don't particularly like JavaScript as a language so webOS loses some points in the "fun to develop for" column. iOS would be hardest for me simply because I don't have much cocoa experience. I can go the phonegap/appcelerator route but then I'm back to using a language I don't like as much.

I don't think there is a standard answer here. The best one is when my old phych 101 professor used to say: "It depends."