Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I knew most of the cell users were dumbphone users, but I didn't think it was this much.

So, whoever said there's no market for us (WebOS) or any others (WP7 and others) think again.. cause there's plenty.

Giz:
    Almost Everybody's Still Using Dumbphones

Original Article:
    Will Apple Put the iPhone on Other Carriers? - NYTimes.com
    Sprint Love
    one killer feature dumb phones have is battery life!

If they make a smartphone which can last for a week on a single charge, it will be a winner!
    i loved my e-ink motorola for 20$. It could not display letters very well, but it had to be charged every 2 weeks with normal daily use.
    I've seen a Pixi make it a work week with lite use.
    but it must be a dumb pixi with no datause and gps
  6.    #6  
    I hope HP gets on those dumbusers and gets them to get some WebOS goodness.
    Sprint Love
    I would be one of those dumb users. I keep waiting and waiting. I am hanging in there.
    I think I would like a Palm phone mostly because of hanging out here I guess. But really, for most dumb phone users I can't help but think that just about any smart phone would be more than adequate for their needs.
    I know as I continue to wait that my mind has been drifting towards a different platform. Especially when I read here about long time Pre/Pixi users moving to Android.
    But I am still hanging in.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  8.    #8  
    Well keep on hanging out here, the people who are leaving just want new devices all the time. The people who stick around are the users who know WebOS is the best OS out there.

I'm glad you've considered WebOS though, you'll be pleased once you start using it.

Your wait won't be much longer!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Man battery life is one of those things I miss (about my old PDA, not cell phone). My Palm i705 in all of it's grayscale glory could make it a month on a single charge. Those were the days.

As far as smart phone adoption goes I see so many times regular people just thinking they aren't smart enough to work these phones. They fee like because they're maybe of an older generation that they just don't have a chance. I remind a lot of them that I develop software for smartphones and even I had my struggles learning a new smartphone OS. I'm sure other tech savvy people have been in the same boat.

- Phil -
    I think the reason those numbers look so surprising is that most smartphone users fall within social demographics that have largely adopted the idea of mobile computing. Most people I know have smartphones, but I don't think my friends/family/co-workers represent an accurate sample of the country as a whole.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Indeed, the other point here is price points, only Android exists at all price points (as far as I aware) and therefore competes across the whole market. Nobody else is seeing or placing their OS on devices that are priced the same as dumb-phones, so this still favours Android adoption rates against all the others. Maybe someone else will beat Android/iphone in the hero/high end segment of the market but at the moment literally nobody else is competing at the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Isn't this the same as the "fat middle" strategy that the former Palm was pursuing? That in between lifestyle users and business users there were all these users who hadn't found what they wanted in a smartphone yet? Palm managed to turn that into a whopping 4% market share before giving up.

Now HP seems to think that what these dumbphone users really want in their first smartphone that will connect to a bunch of other devices. I don't know about you but the dumphone users that I know don't think about connecting to anything.
    I think Palm had trouble defining their "fat middle" target. One of them said the dumbphone users. Another said that fat middle between iphone and RIM users.

There's no dumbphone market to tap (unless you make..dumbphones). Think of it as a slow leak. A % of them will go to smartphones each year. This is how the smartphone market will keep growing each year. But it won't shake up the smartphone market makeup percentages of which android and iOS rule.

Better to try to grab RIM or android users. Especially if you feel a significant number just settled for androids because they were basically the only choice at the time on many carriers.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Isn't this the same as the "fat middle" strategy that the former Palm was pursuing? That in between lifestyle users and business users there were all these users who hadn't found what they wanted in a smartphone yet? Palm managed to turn that into a whopping 4% market share before giving up.

Now HP seems to think that what these dumbphone users really want in their first smartphone that will connect to a bunch of other devices. I don't know about you but the dumphone users that I know don't think about connecting to anything.
    You have a very negative opinion on a lot of things, I was simply stating there are users of phones that aren't smartphones that can be tapped into and NOT that the actual users are DUMB.

I know a lot of people that don't have smartphones just because they don't have the money at the moment, they don't have a need because they have other portable devices, etc etc... I could go on and on. But in the end they will have a smartphone because they'll be just as easy to operate as dumbphones will and they'll be just as cheap.

I did no way say that the dumbphone users = dumb.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    You have a very negative opinion on a lot of things, I was simply stating there are users of phones that aren't smartphones that can be tapped into and NOT that the actual users are DUMB.

I know a lot of people that don't have smartphones just because they don't have the money at the moment, they don't have a need because they have other portable devices, etc etc... I could go on and on. But in the end they will have a smartphone because they'll be just as easy to operate as dumbphones will and they'll be just as cheap.

I did no way say that the dumbphone users = dumb.
    Say you want to tap that dumbphone market. How would you go about it any differently than Apple or others are? The big thing holding them back is cost of data plans and fear of unknown. Best thing to do is keep bombarding with commercials & ads and building your brand.
  15.    #15  
    Yes, I agree. Ads, ads, and ads!

HP has to relate to the dumbphone users while sparking the interest of existing smartphone users.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Say you want to tap that dumbphone market. How would you go about it any differently than Apple or others are? The big thing holding them back is cost of data plans and fear of unknown. Best thing to do is keep bombarding with commercials & ads and building your brand.
    This is how it's going down in the UK,

1) "this phone is 70, that is within my budget and that looks ok"

2) hey look it's one of those smart-phone thingys! an android thingy!

That's the danger for the other OSes, Android devices are now getting so cheap (and 2011 will see more bottom-feeders come into the market) that lots of people (here at least) are converting simply because the phone was so cheap and looked ok without any real reference to features or OS. Which is pretty much Google's end-game anyway.
    I know theres lots of dumbphone users. I know hp can get some of that. But when it comes to gaining on the market share of another smartphone os, i dont think u can settle for "well, theres lots of potential in making dumbphone users new customers." the growth of all smartphone os' into that potential will grow at about the rate of whatever their smartphone os market share is at any given time. If every dumbphone user in the us were going to get a smartphone right now, about 26 percent of them would get an android phone, 25 an iphone, 33 a blackberry, 9 a windows phone of some kind of windows os, and 4 percent a palm phone (maybe less than that for webos specifically?) imo

Hp needs to compete with palm to gain more smartphone market share regardless of how many people still use dumbphones, or we'll never reach app parody.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think Palm had trouble defining their "fat middle" target. One of them said the dumbphone users. Another said that fat middle between iphone and RIM users.

There's no dumbphone market to tap (unless you make..dumbphones). Think of it as a slow leak. A % of them will go to smartphones each year. This is how the smartphone market will keep growing each year. But it won't shake up the smartphone market makeup percentages of which android and iOS rule.

Better to try to grab RIM or android users. Especially if you feel a significant number just settled for androids because they were basically the only choice at the time on many carriers.
    I couldn't disagree more... ;-)

In my little world. (my family, friends, and the h.s. kids I coach) ALL have been upgrading to smart devices over the last few years. - including my 78 year old mother, 82 y.o. uncle 16 y.o. niece, 20's nephews, many cousins, and the 15-20 high school kids I coach... (I have to have them check them at the door before practice, or they would be texting constantly ;-/) ...and, although I get new kids all the time, I've noticed the cell phones are all becoming smartphones.

...one of the most techie older guys I know, (a friend, who has always had the best computers and electronics), _just_ upgraded his phone from a dumb nextel he needed for push to talk for his company, to a BlackBerry, and he's been "gushing" about what he can now do with his phone... ;-) (I'm, like, yeah, welcome to the smartphone club, we've been here for a while.) He's now upgrading his wife and daughter's phones as well.

now that's a pretty wide and diverse demographic.

the smart phone market is largely untapped. it's a huge growth area.

When people see how easy and seamless webOS is to use, their _2nd._ smartphone may very well be, a HP Palm webOS device. ;-)

see, my 78 year old mom just texted me. ;-)
    Last edited by ToddK; 01/22/2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    When people see how easy and seamless webOS is to use, their _2nd._ smartphone may very well be, a HP Palm webOS device.
    Problem is, when people see how easy and seamless the iPhone* is to use, their _2nd._ smartphone may very well be, an iPhone.

*I say iPhone instead of iOS because these people don't see how easy an OS is. They see how easy a device is.
    Remember, the photo provided in the link given by the op doesnt show or specify other smartphone os', like blackberry, which still has a good amount of share. It only show iphone, android, and other.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast