Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Problem is, when people see how easy and seamless the iPhone* is to use, their _2nd._ smartphone may very well be, an iPhone.

*I say iPhone instead of iOS because these people don't see how easy an OS is. They see how easy a device is.
    That's ok - 300 -400 million potential customers there's plenty to go around. I'm sure HP will do fine... ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I couldn't disagree more... ;-)

In my little world. (my family, friends, and the h.s. kids I coach) ALL have been upgrading to smart devices over the last few years. - including my 78 year old mother, 82 y.o. uncle 16 y.o. niece, 20's nephews, many cousins, and the 15-20 high school kids I coach... (I have to have them check them at the door before practice, or they would be texting constantly ;-/) ...and, although I get new kids all the time, I've noticed the cell phones are all becoming smartphones.

...one of the most techie older guys I know, (a friend, who has always had the best computers and electronics), _just_ upgraded his phone from a dumb nextel he needed for push to talk for his company, to a BlackBerry, and he's been "gushing" about what he can now do with his phone... ;-) (I'm, like, yeah, welcome to the smartphone club, we've been here for a while.) He's now upgrading his wife and daughter's phones as well.

now that's a pretty wide and diverse demographic.

the smart phone market is largely untapped. it's a huge growth area.

When people see how easy and seamless webOS is to use, their _2nd._ smartphone may very well be, a HP Palm webOS device. ;-)

see, my 78 year old mom just texted me. ;-)
    That's nice and all but i don't why you disagreed. A small % of the dumbphone market will upgrade to smartphones each year. The examples you give only affirm that.

Last i checked, dumbphone users don't all belong to the same club. They're coming. There's no special way to tap into it or target it directly. Again, your examples pointed out how diverse that dumbphone market is.

When Apple or whoever shows an ad on tv, they're targeting all users. What would you suggest HP do differently than what anyone else is currently doing to target just dumbphone users?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's nice and all but i don't why you disagreed. A small % of the dumbphone market will upgrade to smartphones each year. The examples you give only affirm that.

Last i checked, dumbphone users don't all belong to the same club. They're coming. There's no special way to tap into it or target it directly. Again, your examples pointed out how diverse that dumbphone market is.

When Apple or whoever shows an ad on tv, they're targeting all users. What would you suggest HP do differently than what anyone else is currently doing to target just dumbphone users?
    I guess I'm disagreeing w/ the small percent part, I think many more are switching.

But, I'm not going get in a pi**ing match about our apparently differing opinions.

Time will tell. _I_ think HP will do just fine. If you do not, that's fine too. It's not life and death, it's a phone. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    That's ok - 300 -400 million potential customers there's plenty to go around. I'm sure HP will do fine... ;-)
    I'm not saying they won't, just saying that simply saying webOS is easy to use offers no guaranty when there are other easy to use OSes out there.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'm not saying they won't, just saying that simply saying webOS is easy to use offers no guaranty when there are other easy to use OSes out there.
    Agreed. HP needs to market this thing they have well, or it very well could turn into another Amiga. The big difference here is that HP isn't the incompetent "Dog and Pony" show that was running Amiga when it finally died.

But, if they do screw it up, and don't market what they have correctly and effectively, then they will fail.

I have confidence they will do fine. ...and if they don't - there are, plenty of options.
    Just for fun......edit your post and state the number of people you know that actually have a smartphone(not counting yourself), no matter what brand it is, break it down if you like:
    3 BB
    1 Palm
    3 iPhone
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Still about 70% of the cellphone market are dumbphones. Here is the breakdown from the thread, Is the Market Over-saturated?:

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

I have been thinking about how often we are told that the cellphone market is over-saturated. Some say that the smartphone market is so over-saturated that Palm will not be able to re-enter. Some say that Android is so dominant no one else has a chance.

I think nothing could be further from the truth.

Nielsen said earlier this week that in the US, 31% of cellphones are now smartphones. Also 26% of smartphones in use are Androids.

That means that 69% of the US cellphone market had not yet bought their first smartphone.

That also means that Android has 26% of a 31% market or about 8% market penetration.

An 8% market share is over-saturated?
    So despite what some say, the Smartphone market is anything but over-saturated. And Android with it's 8% market penetration is not quite as dominant as it might seem.

And how long does market dominance last in smartphones anyway?

Two years ago Android was laughable. Now Android "dominates."

The Palm Treo dominated the smartphone market....
    Then it was BlackBerry...
    Then it was iPhone...
    And now it is Android...

- Craig
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Just for fun......edit your post and state the number of people you know that actually have a smartphone(not counting yourself), no matter what brand it is, break it down if you like:
    3 BB
    1 Palm
    3 iPhone
    1 BB
    2 iphones
    2 Pixi
    3 Android
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    3 BB
    1 Palm
    3 iPhone
    I know this was for tooearly but...

10+ BB (most managers I deal with are on BB, I stopped counting after 10 because there are just too many)

10+ iPhone (again, stopped counting at 10, not as many as BB, but many nonetheless)

10+ Android (see BB and iPhone, same thing) +3 more on 4/1/11

4 webOS (3 are switching to Android on 4/1/11)

2 PalmOS

1 Nokia

* BB, iPhone and Android listed in order of popularity within my circle.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12