Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. #61  
    I posted this in a different thread but it seems to be appropriate here.:

    I've been with Sprint for 9 years, but it looks like I might not be for too much longer. I have an individual plan and my wife does too $69+$39, but I wanted to bump her up to a decent phone too. If I do that after the change or any new 4G phone now we would be at the cheapest everything plan at $129 + $10 + $10= $149. Looking at my data use for the last year I've only gone over 1GB two times.
    Looking at AT&T, there cheapest family plan is $59 data for 2GB is $25, I might not even add on text messaging if I finally get around to getting a google voice number (now that I can port my cell phone number to gv I really won't need to pay extra for texting.), but if I did it would be $5 each for 200 txts a month. This comes out to $59 + $25 + $25 + $5 + $5 = $119, if I drop off txts (which I will for sure now) it would be $109 and if I drop my wife to 200mb it would be $99
    I would end up with less minutes, but I'm never close anyway and I wouldn't have free GPS unless palm comes up with a solution or if I would jump to android.

    Everyone has made mention of discounts and I don't think it is fair to put them in for standard comparisons. In my situation it is pretty much the same. I get 20% off for Sprint, and can get 21% off for att.

    It seems that any way I slice or dice it Sprint is not even close anymore on price. Sure they have unlimited data, and I hate to not have it, but with wifi everywhere I don't use that much anyway.
    Now I'm going to have to change and start saying come on AT&T get the new HP/Palm phone.
    Just wanted to post this for anyone else to be aware of, I didn't check for other numbers of people, but for 2 on a data plan it seems that att is the cheapest. I guess it's probably best to compare all 4 carrier options to see what's best for you.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    ...now we would be at the cheapest everything plan at $129 + $10 + $10= $149. Looking at my data use for the last year I've only gone over 1GB two times.
    Looking at AT&T, there cheapest family plan is $59 data for 2GB is $25, I might not even add on text messaging if I finally get around to getting a Google voice number (now that I can port my cell phone number to gv I really won't need to pay extra for texting.), but if I did it would be $5 each for 200 txts a month. This comes out to $59 + $25 + $25 + $5 + $5 = $119, if I drop off txts (which I will for sure now) it would be $109 and if I drop my wife to 200mb it would be $99...

    Everyone has made mention of discounts and I don't think it is fair to put them in for standard comparisons...
    Rich,

    For a Dual Income No Kids Household (DINK), Sprint is at:
    $129.99 Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime 1500
    $20.00 Unlimited data (2 x $10)
    $0.00 Unlimited messaging
    -------
    $149.99
    -$30.00 Sprint EVP Discount
    $109.99

    AT&T is at:
    $59.99 Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes (smallest package)
    $50.00 DataPro 2 GB for Smartphone (2 phones)
    $30.00 Messaging Unlimited
    -------
    $139.99

    I have a growing number of friends, family, and co-workers who greatly prefer to text instead of email. Google Voice does NOT let me text people. It does NOT instantly convert their texts to email. Then you email back forcing them to stop texting. Texting is instantaneous. To save a buck a day, you are going to force your friends to remember that you are their one friend who can't text?

    Also, are you sure that between you and your wife with all your professional affiliations, employers, etc., you can only get a 20% EVP. I bet you can get 25% or more.

    If you or anyone has the link and phone number for a discount anyone can get, please post a thread. I will add it to the opening post as well. It's not fair to tell about a discount everyone can get but not share how to get it.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/26/2011 at 09:55 AM.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    I posted this in a different thread but it seems to be appropriate here.:

    I've been with Sprint for 9 years, but it looks like I might not be for too much longer. I have an individual plan and my wife does too $69+$39, but I wanted to bump her up to a decent phone too. If I do that after the change or any new 4G phone now we would be at the cheapest everything plan at $129 + $10 + $10= $149. Looking at my data use for the last year I've only gone over 1GB two times.
    Looking at AT&T, there cheapest family plan is $59 data for 2GB is $25, I might not even add on text messaging if I finally get around to getting a google voice number (now that I can port my cell phone number to gv I really won't need to pay extra for texting.), but if I did it would be $5 each for 200 txts a month. This comes out to $59 + $25 + $25 + $5 + $5 = $119, if I drop off txts (which I will for sure now) it would be $109 and if I drop my wife to 200mb it would be $99
    I would end up with less minutes, but I'm never close anyway and I wouldn't have free GPS unless palm comes up with a solution or if I would jump to android.
    Good luck with that! Happy gyrations to you!

    Surest sign you are getting screwed:

    - Have to limit your wife to 200 mb of data on that new smartphone you just bought her & pray she doesn't go over with every month's bill.
    - Can't use texts or SMS
    - Get paltry anytime minutes
    - Your family/friends hate you for always calling after 9 o'clock on weeknights cause that's when your free minutes start

    Hey more power to you if you want to jump through those hoops with the discipline of a drill sargeant. Maybe for some it's worth it to be tied down like that and potentially save but then again you are getting alot less for your money.
    Last edited by foosball; 01/23/2011 at 01:04 PM.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Verizon does offer unlimited mobile 2 mobile; which is twice the size of sprint's mobile 2 mobile (before the any mobile/anytime)...I think thats one of the reason sprint had to go to any/mobile anytime because there original mobile2mobile was like half the size of verizon and att.

    also verizon offers on some of their plans unlimited calling to 10 favoirte numbers whether landline or mobile.

    But you are correct with sprint being a much better deal when a family calls a lot mobile phones, however if calling is about the same between landlines and mobiles, or that just don't call that much other than to each other it slightly reduces the cost advantage of sprint.
    When I was with VZW their unlimited mobile to mobile was mobile to another VZW customer, not any mobile. If my brother, who is still with VZW calls me on his mobile to my Sprint mobile, it goes against his minutes. The new 10 favorites helps. Fortunately, I don't have to choose favorites with Sprint. With 1500 minutes and unlimited any mobile, I don't even get up to 100 minutes per month.
  5. #65  
    Maybe I need to look at different Verizon/ AT&T stores. At both there was absolutely no way I could get a discount. I and my wife are both college Grads but not presently in school. No matter what field you may have worked in if you are retired your work does not apply. ( At least that's what I was told ). Only if you are actively working in the area that gets you the discount. I asked both carriers, " Surely there must be something that qualifies us for a discount". They could not suggest anything. Wife is retired educator. After retiring from a health care career I also worked for a school district. Out of luck unless presently employed. They could offer no suggestions.
    AT&T would waive the activation fee. Verizon would not.
    If anyone can offer a way for a discount fo me on AT&T/Verizon I would like to hear your suggestions.
    Again, I have not been to Sprint yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I just used my college email (which is called alumni email now). But i could have used my energy company, insurance company, or state or national accountant societies (aicpa). My wife, a teacher, is federal, or could've used her NEA, or other membership. Or join a credit union.

    You just need to check things out. If you want a discount, its not too hard.
    Last edited by Different Drummer; 01/23/2011 at 11:43 AM.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  6. #66  
    My only problem with Sprint is the all or nothing for families. There have been great comparisons comparing equal plans. But, with other providers I can choose which line gets what (data, gps, etc). My children (2 of them) don't need data or GPS, but my wife and I do for your businesses. We all need texting. So the 2 kids lines cost me $29.99 (19.99 plus 10. smartphone fee) each, with other providers the could only cost $9.99 each. Assuming I have a family text plan. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I think that is where Sprint is going to lose me.
    Comparing equal plans Sprint may be cheaper, but I might be able to save money cutting some things.
    So 4 lines:
    2 with data and GPS
    and all with texting
    might be cheaper else where.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    ...If anyone can offer a way for a discount fo me on AT&T/Verizon I would like to hear your suggestions.
    Again, I have not been to Sprint yet.
    In the case of Sprint, the stores just have to research with EVP. Call EVP yourself and see what they say: Sprint EVP Discount. EVP will talk you through every professional organization, etc. Andyou get to call them directly in the future.

    At the very least you can get 10% just for being a member of a credit union.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpagano View Post
    My only problem with Sprint is the all or nothing for families. There have been great comparisons comparing equal plans. But, with other providers I can choose which line gets what (data, gps, etc). My children (2 of them) don't need data or GPS, but my wife and I do for your businesses. We all need texting. So the 2 kids lines cost me $29.99 (19.99 plus 10. smartphone fee) each, with other providers the could only cost $9.99 each. Assuming I have a family text plan. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I think that is where Sprint is going to lose me.
    Comparing equal plans Sprint may be cheaper, but I might be able to save money cutting some things.
    So 4 lines:
    2 with data and GPS
    and all with texting
    might be cheaper else where.
    Since the $10 fee apparently is for smartphones and your kids don't seem to need smartphone features, couldn't you get them a phone that's great for texting but won't incur the extra fee? It would still be $20 vs $10 but that's better than $30 vs $10, no? I wonder what that would look like when you compare to other plans. Less per-line fee but more for GPS and Data?
  9. webpoet73's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #69  
    Does T-Mobile roam free on the AT/T network? That is the one network nobody is talking about. I have done price comparisons for our family (2) against Verizon and AT/T and Sprint still comes out on top (by price) for us. Their customer service has never been an issue for us. Always friendly and helpful.

    No provider is perfect, but as long as Sprint continues to be the cheapest option for us and has the coverage area (keeping in mind the ability to roam on Verizon when necessary), and customer support that doesn't **** us off... I see no reason to leave. And if they get the iPhone one day, I will be extremely happy.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have a growing number of friends, family, and co-workers who greatly prefer to text instead of email. Google Voice does NOT let me text people. It does NOT instantly convert their texts to email. Then you email back forcing them to stop texting. Texting is instantaneous. To save a buck a day, you are going to force your friends to remember that you are their one friend who can't text?
    Then "ur doin it wrong". I've never had issues with being able to send out a text from Google Voice, with having emails come in from received texts, and with being able to reply to those emailed texts through email send back to GV to be sent to the person as a text. And If I'm on a WiFi spot it's even easier because I'm either on my computer with the GV Chrome plugin running or with my iTouch and the GV app on there.

    Google Voice just makes things easier for the people that use texts instead of data so they can text to a phone number instead of texting to an email address, which btw also works fine as long as the person using the email keeps in mind the limits of the text system when they reply.
  11.    #71  
    We have documented that everyone can get at least a 10% Sprint EVP Discount. We have given the website and phone number that you can call yourself.

    In all the years that people have said that there are discounts available to everyone on ATT and Verizon, no one has ever been able to give a website and phone number.

    I have no doubt that some get special discounts. But if there is a discount that everyone can have, please share the website and phone number.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/26/2011 at 08:33 AM.
  12. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpagano View Post
    My only problem with Sprint is the all or nothing for families. There have been great comparisons comparing equal plans. But, with other providers I can choose which line gets what (data, gps, etc). My children (2 of them) don't need data or GPS, but my wife and I do for your businesses. We all need texting. So the 2 kids lines cost me $29.99 (19.99 plus 10. smartphone fee) each, with other providers the could only cost $9.99 each. Assuming I have a family text plan. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I think that is where Sprint is going to lose me.
    Comparing equal plans Sprint may be cheaper, but I might be able to save money cutting some things.
    So 4 lines:
    2 with data and GPS
    and all with texting
    might be cheaper else where.

    This is the boat I am in also. Sprint really screwed the pooch and even if I keep my kids at "non smart" phones they are still $20/month each.
    Dan
  13. #73  
    Actually, not having them would save more like $250,000.
    Oh, you meant the smartphones. Sorry.
  14. #74  
    With Sprint, its all or nothing with data. Why not get them smartphones if I have to pay the $20?
  15. #75  
    they got the smart prior to the extra $10. They will not be getting them again
  16. #76  
    On page 4 of plan comparisons. What strikes me is that in a phone oriented forum, its still being debated who is the cheapest or has the more value. I'm guessing the average customer has even less of a clue.
  17. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #77  
    I just re-ran the numbers for a family plan (4 lines) if I jump over to ATT from sprint (family 1500) and I do believe the price is comparable if not cheaper with very little sacrifice.

    ATT 700 family plan. $69
    additional lines $20
    DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphones $100
    Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling $30

    The total comes to $219 for ATT versus Sprint $209 once you factor in the $10 increase per line that is coming soon.

    The biggest difference is the 700 min vs 1500 min that Sprint offers but after analyzing my familys phone use, a majority of the time is from mobile to mobile so actual phone time is less than 400 min.

    The other big difference is data usage, each of my lines NEVER come close to using more than 2gb of data. I attribute this to using wi-fi in the house which helps out ALOT.

    Assuming you receive discounts, ATT offers discounts for the entire bill vs Sprint which will only discount the main holders line. So taking this into account, ATT may wind up cheaper.

    Unless Sprint offers a compelling handset or pricing scheme between now and July, I'm jumping ship and HELLOOOO iphone, dell, atrix, etc.....
    Last edited by stockh; 02/17/2011 at 12:24 AM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions