Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    In fairness to Sprint, I should probably have included the costs of matching their basic features on the other carriers.

Individual
    To equal Sprint on Verizon, you would need to add VZ Navigator GPS ($10), Visual Voicemail ($3), and VCAST TV ($10) = $23 x 24 = $553 more for Verizon.

Family of 4
    To equal Sprint on Verizon, you would need to add VZ Navigator GPS ($10), Visual Voicemail ($3), and VCAST TV ($10) = $23 x 24 x 4 = $2,212 more for Verizon.

That is on top of the extra Verizon costs of $407.52 and $1,140.00 already included in the comparison.

Everyone in my family uses Visual Voicemail and are completely hooked. It is so easy to replay just a part of a voicemail to hear a number again for instance.

We do use Sprint Navigation. Sprint TV is great when you are trapped somewhere and bored.

For $92 a month or $1,106 a year, I can't image keeping those services but we would miss them.

If we switched to Verizon and wanted all of our Sprint features back, it would be $3,352 more or $140 a month. That is a car payment. For $149 a month you can lease a Kia Forte.

Verizon Rules the Air. I guess they feel they can charge whatever they want for it.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/22/2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Sprint gives a lot of free extras that we really like.

That's the thing that keeps us with Sprint.

Just the Any Mobile Anytime portion of our plan saves us well into the $1000's on a 2-year (4-line) plan. For us, even if Sprint were to charge exactly the same as AT&T or Verizon, Any Mobile Anytime would remain too valuable to lose.

Also keep in mind that while the comparison shown in this thread uses the "smallest" plan for each carrier, we shop for "equivalent" plans. That means we'd have to look at the 1400 minute AT&T and Verizon plans or the 1500 minute (Talk + Text + Unlimited Data) T-Mobile plan.

I periodically comparison shop for our specific needs and I have never seen the other companies even come close to Sprint in terms of value over the last 9 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post

That's the thing that keeps us with Sprint.

Just the Any Mobile Anytime portion of our plan saves us well into the $1000's on a 2-year (4-line) plan. For us, even if Sprint were to charge exactly the same as AT&T or Verizon, Any Mobile Anytime would remain too valuable to lose.

Also keep in mind that while the comparison shown in this thread uses the "smallest" plan for each carrier, we shop for "equivalent" plans. That means we'd have to look at the 1400 minute AT&T and Verizon plans or the 1500 minute (Talk + Text + Unlimited Data) T-Mobile plan.

I periodically comparison shop for our specific needs and I have never seen the other companies even come close to Sprint in terms of value over the last 9 years or so.
    I agree really when sprint announced that any mobile anytime it really t trumped whatever Verizon, and AT&T had to offer. Even without my discount going with Verizon or AT&T would be costly.
    In fairness to Sprint, I should probably have included the costs of matching their basic features on the other carriers.

Individual
    To equal Sprint on Verizon, you would need to add VZ Navigator GPS ($10), Visual Voicemail ($3), and VCAST TV ($10) = $23 x 24 = $553 more for Verizon.

Family of 4
    To equal Sprint on Verizon, you would need to add VZ Navigator GPS ($10), Visual Voicemail ($3), and VCAST TV ($10) = $23 x 24 x 4 = $2,212 more for Verizon.

That is on top of the extra Verizon costs of $407.52 and $1,140.00 already included in the comparison.

Everyone in my family uses Visual Voicemail and are completely hooked. It is so easy to replay just a part of a voicemail to hear a number again for instance.

We do use Sprint Navigation. Sprint TV is great when you are trapped somewhere and bored.

For $92 a month or $1,106 a year, I can't image keeping those services but we would miss them.

If we switched to Verizon and wanted all of our Sprint features back, it would be $3,352 more or $140 a month. That is a car payment. For $149 a month you can lease a Kia Forte.

Verizon Rules the Air. I guess they feel they can charge whatever they want for it.

Yes you are correct, these added features are an excellent advantage for sprint, and good selling points for sprint service. However if a someone doesn't use them or need them, shouldn't make a difference. heck Sprint could add free international calling and texting to their existing plan....but I would never use it, cause I do not know talk to anyone outside the u.s.

For someone who never uses these free services I would not add the extra charges when comparing verizon to sprint in my case. But for those who actually do use these free sprint services...How many of you actually use them just because they are their for free, and would not use them otherwise?

To be honest I have had free sprint tv and navigation for so long and I don't think I have used them once. If you live in chicago like me and need to use navigation, you will be ridiculed and made fun of, lol.

However I do wonder what happens when comparing services between verizon and sprint. For example I remember hearing somewhere that verizon's vcast is far superior to sprint's tv and offers a lot more content. actually the one time i did try the Sprint TV app on my pixi, anything worthwhile watching required me to get buy a monthly subscription to that channel.

Anybody have any experiences in comparing Sprint navigation to Verizon VZ navigator, in terms of quality, speed accuracy features???

Visual voicemail; Does verizon charge for all phones to have visual voicemail or the ones that don't come with it from manufacturer??? anybody know?
    the reason I ask is that I believe Verizon has some own proprietary visual voice mail system; because I remember that when sprint and verizon introduced new a blackberry that where identical(either the 9630 or 9650)... the Verizon one had an option for visual voice mail, and the sprint one didn't since it did not come on their from RIM.
    Last edited by Maestro1; 01/22/2011 at 12:49 PM.
    I don't travel for work as much anymore but when I did, I never had issues with Sprint. Maybe I just happend to travel to places with Sprint support; I don't know.
    I just saw this is another thread:

Thanks, Maestro1!

This is really a good comparison of an individual age 40 to 60 who does talk on their phone a lot. Like so many, they may have ditched their land line completely. The only ones left calling them from a land line would probably be their parents.

- Craig
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/images/90...Comparison.pdf

I wish you posted both charts up their the one on top compares anymobile/anytime 450 of sprint, to verizons and others true unlimited..whereas the bottom chart compares each companies respective 450 plans. (both are available on my link) (unfortunately sprint doesn't compare true unlimited offering in the charts, but my last paragraph does.)

I don't think this comparison is necassarily for individual age 40 and 60, it can apply to all age ranges.....this chart is good for someone who makes a lot of calls to MOBILE phones during the daytime on weekdays, and not too much to landlines; and wants and all you can eat in terms of texting and data. Sprint sure as heck wins on that one by far.

however suppose someone doesn't make much phone calls at all during the day on weekdays where 450 minutes is more than enough for both mobile and landlines...as it shows in the bottom chart Verizon ends up being only $10 more per month. ($89.99 on verizon VS. $79.99 on sprint)

And in the case of a small business owner who runs his business on his mobile phone and makes phone calls all day long, to clients, suppliers etc. who has to make a lot of calls to both landlines and mobile phones. And needs true "unlimited" calling package (this is not shown in the above comparison charts) verizon again ends up being only $10 more. ($119.99 vs. $109.99)
    Sprint--$99.99+$10=$109.99.........Verizon--$69.99+$20+$30=$119.99

*on a side note for those who think Verizon much more robust coverage does not matter when comparing to sprint because sprint can roam on verizon for free. Remember the any/mobile any time only applies when you are on the sprint network...if you call a mobile phone while roaming it will come out of your bucket of minutes.
    Last edited by Maestro1; 01/22/2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Don't forget also you have the option of bumping up to a plan with Friends & Family numbers which you can then use a Google Voice number to make into an unlimited calling plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post

*on a side note for those who think Verizon much more robust coverage does not matter when comparing to sprint because sprint can roam on verizon for free. Remember the any/mobile any time only applies when you are on the sprint network...if you call a mobile phone while roaming it will come out of your bucket of minutes.
    And actually that's a myth. A lot of the overlap roaming with Verizon and Sprint is through regional carrier agreements. Verizon and Sprint only allow direct cross roaming in certain areas that they have agreements for.
    Quote Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post
    Keep in mind, also, that Sprint's unlimited nights starts at 7. ATT and Verizon starts at 9... you can add unlimited nights to begin at 7 for $17/month ($408 for 24 months). I didn't even see where you can add that to Verizon.

It might be a big deal to some, but it's a pretty big deal in our family.
    Okay, does it matter. When gave unlimited any mobile, I stopped using my minutes. I have 1500 for a family of four and never use 100 per month.

When I was on VZW, I always went over my minutes and I had 1200 for a family of four. I don't think a family of four could exist w/o overage on less than 1200 minutes and VZW stopped 1200 plans.

In terms of the Nav that other people have mentioned, I think the cost listed is based on w/o the Nav.

I think it would be helpful for people who are disagreeing with Sprint's cheaper rates based on discounts from other services to simply state: I'm on VZW with a family of four and a 20% discount, I only pay $247 per month or whatever amount they pay on a regular basis. Let's have a little reality when you state another plan offers discounts too. I agree, they offer discounts, but lower # of minutes isn't realistic w/o them coming up with any mobile like Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Jesus - whatever network you are on, you guys get absolutely spanked in terms of cost. Here in the UK, I pay $24 a month and get 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of internet. If I was willing to sign a 18 month contract, I could have got them to throw in a phone like the LG optimus without altering that figure.
    I'm just guessing here, but that may be because of the necessarily (much) larger infrastructure carriers have to build in the US. Not quite the same land area or population density as Europe, so it takes more equipment per customer to get them service. Sounds reasonable to me anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, does it matter. When gave unlimited any mobile, I stopped using my minutes. I have 1500 for a family of four and never use 100 per month.

When I was on VZW, I always went over my minutes and I had 1200 for a family of four. I don't think a family of four could exist w/o overage on less than 1200 minutes and VZW stopped 1200 plans.

In terms of the Nav that other people have mentioned, I think the cost listed is based on w/o the Nav.

I think it would be helpful for people who are disagreeing with Sprint's cheaper rates based on discounts from other services to simply state: I'm on VZW with a family of four and a 20% discount, I only pay $247 per month or whatever amount they pay on a regular basis. Let's have a little reality when you state another plan offers discounts too. I agree, they offer discounts, but lower # of minutes isn't realistic w/o them coming up with any mobile like Sprint.
    Verizon does offer unlimited mobile 2 mobile; which is twice the size of sprint's mobile 2 mobile (before the any mobile/anytime)...I think thats one of the reason sprint had to go to any/mobile anytime because there original mobile2mobile was like half the size of verizon and att.

also verizon offers on some of their plans unlimited calling to 10 favoirte numbers whether landline or mobile.

But you are correct with sprint being a much better deal when a family calls a lot mobile phones, however if calling is about the same between landlines and mobiles, or that just don't call that much other than to each other it slightly reduces the cost advantage of sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    For someone who never uses these free services I would not add the extra charges when comparing verizon to sprint in my case. But for those who actually do use these free sprint services...How many of you actually use them just because they are their for free, and would not use them otherwise?
    I would not pay extra for GPS navigation, but it is definitely something I use a lot. Even getting places in town it has found routes I would not otherwise have been aware of and saved me time and gas. Besides, to me, a smartphone is more like a tricorder from Star Trek and should do as many things as possible. Even though I wouldn't want to pay more for GPS because I consider it a luxury I could live without if I had to, if I am truthful to myself I would be unhappy if it did not do GPS. It's my phone, my PDA, my camera, my music player and my navigation device. And let's be real here. If VZW threw in navigation for free, it would make people happy, and they would use it.

The biggest argument for Verizon seems to be that they have better coverage and a better network, but again, I say it's a wash. I haven't had any troubles at all with Sprint in the decade+ that I've had them, and you don't hear many horror stories about dropped calls and whatnot with any of the CDMA carriers. If you want reliable service, just stay away from AT&T and you should be fine. I just switched my partner from AT&T to Sprint (EVO, of course :P ) because I got annoyed with all the dropped calls and the walkie-talkie sound quality of AT&T. Haven't had those issues since.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    T-Mobile costs about the same as Sprint with better coverage. T-Mobile costs less than Sprint when it comes to plans with more than one line IIRC.

T-Mobile's seems to have the same or better coverage in my area (northern Utah), than Sprint and Verizon, - but seem to have the same coverage when compared to AT&T (Except without costing as much).

Another thing...I would find it inconvenient if I lost my mobile hotspot abilities every time I got a call.

[/Just my two cents]
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Another thing...I would find it inconvenient if I lost my mobile hotspot abilities every time I got a call.

[/Just my two cents]
    Would be another reason to pick Verizon over Sprint then, assuming you're not looking at webOS devices, since Verizon has exclusivity on Andorid based Skype which means you can have a voice conversation without losing your internet.

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Would be another reason to pick Verizon over Sprint then, assuming you're not looking at webOS devices, since Verizon has exclusivity on Andorid based Skype which means you can have a voice conversation without losing your internet.

Just sayin'.
    For those in 4G cities, voice and data is possible with Sprint.
    It's also possible on WiFi.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    For those in 4G cities, voice and data is possible with Sprint.
    All 20 of them is it? I know I'm not in one of those cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    All 20 of them is it? I know I'm not in one of those cities.
    Yep, all 20 people that are frustrated enough with this "missing feature" willing to switch to Skype and Verizon as a solution rather than rooting or getting a MIFI line.
  18.    #58  
    The Sensorly app now shows the 163 cities with Sprint 4G. These maps show the real coverage areas logged on user phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Jesus - whatever network you are on, you guys get absolutely spanked in terms of cost. Here in the UK, I pay $24 a month and get 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of internet.

But it's really rainy and cloudy there.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    But it's really rainy and cloudy there.
    Heh.. there is that.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast