Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    - Kudos to Milo. Waiting on pins and needles for Feb 7th. I am hoping there is something really good to go with those plans.

Also, there are discounts available for most Verizon customers, so it's not necessarily fair to show a discount for Sprint and none for Verizon.

I might add that it's the same Credit Union discounts.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/21/2011 at 05:08 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Misleading thread title- don't you think, this is a specific example based on a the mentioned users needs, and does not apply to anyone.

and why would you compare family plans when in the beginning of the thread you mention that this example is specific to an individuals unique needs. I am pretty sure that usage on a family differs amongst family members. If you did a comparison where it was a 5 person family plan and only 2 needed smartphones, you would come up with sprint being barely cheaper.

Like I said a before it depends on a users specific needs for the phone

I don't get the point of this thread everyone has certain needs and SPRINT IS NOT ALWAYS A BETTER DEAL.

Remeber you get what you pay for too
    -Verizons network is much better is much bigger and better quality than sprints
    -Verizon's customer care is much better than sprints, ecspecially at the store level, the people that sprint have working at their stores are a joke.
    -Verizon offers a much better phone selection by far.

I am a sprint user my self, because for me as an individual who uses the heck out of my phone and only calls mobile numbers, sprint is the best deal for me.... for others that may not be the case.

Why does everyone blindly think that sprint is always the much better deal regardless. because it is NOT TRUE
    @ milo: Thanks for your never ending endeavor to put things in prospective.

4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Misleading thread title- don't you think, this is a specific example based on a the mentioned users needs, and does not apply to anyone...Why does everyone blindly think that sprint is always the much better deal regardless. because it is NOT TRUE
    This example is from a month ago when a mom was looking at just switching herself or her whole family. It just took me a while to get it written up. I think that a phone rep would tell us these are pretty common needs for someone under 40.

This Cross-Platform is the place to do this kind of comparison. I did run through as many other cases as I could: Dual Income No Kids (DINKs), Student, Single Professional, etc. I just didn't write up the dozen of cases.

Would you share with us an example where Sprint is not the least expensive?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/21/2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    At least for me, cost is king, if I save $100's every year I view it as being able to buy the latest smartphone with the money I saved or subscribing to a music or movie service.

As far as customer service, I personally don't use it often. The only time I call sprint is to ask them a question about billing.

Yeah, I don't like Sprint jacking up the cost but until I find a lower costing carrier, they got me! (come on Goggle, I could have sworn you were working on providing your own wireless servce!)
    wheres Garrett ?? he needs to read this thread !! ha ha !
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    A circumstance where sprint is not the cheapest? Let me offer you two.

Your first one. Individual Plan, unltd. internet, not very few minutes. Two better deals:
    Tmobile: Unlimited 4G (Yeah, HSPA+, but it's freaking *fast*, trust me.), a G2 (free on contract), 500 minutes + ultd nights and weekends. $70 a month, plus a $35 activation fee paid upfront. 10-15% discount for students.
    Still too expensive for you?
    Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile. Sprint's network. Sure, only rev 0 data, but here's the kicker: pay full price for the handset ($249, I've seen them on sale for $179), and the whole package is $25 a month, for 300 minutes and unlimited data and texting.

Another scenario (this is where I land):
    I want a smartphone, because they're freaking useful. I don't use many minutes at all (think like 20 a month), or text all that much (maybe 100 max.) and I don't want to pay for data either, because I wouldn't use it that much. Tmobile Prepaid, with an unlocked AT&T Pre Plus: 10 cents a minute, 5/10 cents a text for incoming/outgoing. I currently pay around $6 a month for my Pre Plus, which everyone on their droids for $70 a month is fascinated by, and I have no commitment to the phone; until a couple months ago I was using an N900, (which, by a bug in the ipv6 config, you can get free internet on via Tmobile Prepaid, but I didn't know that when I sold mine) and before that a G1.
    I feel like I've successfully beat the system, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    This example is from a month ago when a mom was looking at just switching herself or her whole family. It just took me a while to get it written up. I think that a phone rep would tell us these are pretty common needs for someone under 40.

This Cross-Platform is the place to do this kind of comparison. I did run through as many other cases as I could: Dual Income No Kids (DINKs), Student, Single Professional, etc. I just didn't write up the dozen of cases.

Would you share with us an example where Sprint is not the least expensive?
    I have been only comparing sprint to verizon, havn't looked much at others plans. however for the most part almost every comparable plan when comparing sprint and verizon, sprint is always cheaper but the point I was trying to make is that that after looking at many different verizon is only $10 a month more in individual plans.

when it comes to family plans the price differences vary, it all depends on needs. for example when I calculated the cost of a 5person family plan... where 2 smartphones are needed (lets say for parents) and 3 feature phones for kids the prices are exactly the same at $209.99...

obviously as you add more smartphones sprint is a better deal, but with individual plans the difference is less.

Like I said before it all depends on needs, and even though sprint is pretty much always cheaper, depending on needs its not that much.

But one must remember you get what you pay for....and Verizon is much better when it comes to network coverage and reliablitly and I believe data speeds on 3g...also their customer service is much better.....and device selection is by far better. so it depends if these benefits of verizon are worth the difference.

I just don't agree with the notion that sprint is always sooooooooo much cheaper because it is not, and it all comes down to users needs, and how much they value things that aren't specifically charged for in plans like customer service, phone selection, and network coverage and reliablity.
    This Cross-Platform comparison looks at the needs of a typical user who only uses minute when her mom calls so she needs few minutes. She texts a lot and needs 1 GB+ a month for movies, streaming music, internet, photos, videos, GPS, etc. She wants a fast, free smartphone. Here is an examples for her individual and for her family of 4. Analysis includes Androids and iPhones.

24 Month Contract Summary

Individual
    • Sprint is $407.52 less than Verizon and $287.76 less than AT&T.

Family of 4
    • Sprint is $1,140.00 less than Verizon and $660.96 less than AT&T.

Code:
    Monthly         Sprint     Verizon         AT&T
    Individual      $73.00      $89.98       $84.99
                              + $16.98     + $11.99 

Family (4)     $192.43     $239.93      $219.97
                              + $47.50     + $27.54 
    ----------------------------------------------
    24 Months       Sprint     Verizon         AT&T
    Individual   $1,752.00   $2,159.52    $2,039.76
                             + $407.52    + $287.76  

Family (4)   $4,618.32   $5,758.32    $5,279.80
                           + $1,140.00    + $660.96
    Details of Analysis

Sprint
    Individual
    "Free" Smartphone (like an LG Optimus) with fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $69.99 450 Monthly Anytime Minutes (smallest package)
    -$6.99 Minimum 10% Sprint EVP Discount
    $10.00 Unlimited data
    $0.00 Unlimited messaging
    -------
    $73.00 per month x 24 =
    $1,752.00 for a "free" phones over 24 months
    $1,952.00 for an EVO, Epic, etc. that cost $200
    Note: GPS & Visual Voicemail are free.

Family of 4
    4 "free" smartphones (like an LG Optimus) with fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $129.99 Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime 1500
    $39.38 2 added lines
    -$16.94 Minimum 10% Sprint EVP Discount
    $40.00 Unlimited data (4 x $10)
    $0.00 Unlimited messaging
    -------
    $192.43 per month x 24 =
    $4,618.32 for 4 "free" phones over 24 months
    $5,418.32 for 4 EVO, Epic, etc. ($200 x 4)
    GPS & Visual Voicemail are free.

Note: A 10% - 28% Sprint EVP Discount is available to everyone. All you need is a credit union membership for at least 10%.

Verizon
    Individual
    "Free" Smartphone with fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $39.99 450 Monthly Anytime Minutes (smallest package)
    $29.99 Unlimited data
    $20.00 Unlimited messaging
    -------
    $89.98 x 24 =
    $2,159.52 for a "free" phones over 24 months
    $2,359.51 with a $200 a Droid X, iPhone 4, etc.

Note: VZ Navigator GPS is $10 & Visual Voicemail is $3 = $13 x 24 = $313.

Family of 4
    4 "free" smartphones with fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $99.99 Nationwide Talk & Text Family SharePlan® 700 (smallest package)
    $19.98 2 added lines
    $119.96 Unlimited data = $29.99 x 4
    -------
    $239.93 x 24 =
    $5,758.32 for 4 "free" phones over 24 months
    $6,558.28 with 4 Droid X, iPhone 4, etc. (4 x $199.99)

Note: VZ Navigator GPS is $10 & Visual Voicemail is $3 = $13 x 24 x 4= $1252.

AT&T
    Individual
    Free Smartphone (Android or refurb iPhone 3) and the fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $39.99 Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes (smallest package)
    $25.00 DataPro 2 GB for Smartphone
    $20.00 Messaging Unlimited
    -------
    $84.99 x 24 =
    $2,039.76 for a "free" phones over 24 months
    $2,239.76 for the latest Android or iPhone

Note: AT&T Navigator GPS is $10 x 24 = $240.

Family of 4
    Free Smartphone and the fewest talk minutes. Cost per month:
    $69.99 Nation 700 FamilyTalk w/Rollover® Minutes (smallest package)
    $100.00 DataPro 2 GB for Smartphone (4 x $25.00)
    $30.00 Messaging Unlimited for Families
    $19.98 2 added lines
    -------
    $219.97 x 24 =
    $5,279.80 for 4 "free" phones over 24 months
    $6,079.80 for 4 of the latest Androids or iPhones at $200 each

Note: AT&T Navigator GPS is $10 x 24 x 4= $960.

Note that if the user does want GPS Navigation from Verizon or AT&T, that would be $240 more for an individual or $960 more for a family of 4. Verizon also charges $3 per month for Visual Voicemail. bookmark
    Verizon gives discounts too. In most cases a bit higher then sprint supposidly. Plus many may not want nav. This makes verizon comparable to sprint in terms of price, atleast close enough to where its not a big deal IF u dont want nav. If i switched id hope for standalone nav apps.

I know nothing about atr btw but verizon does have better coverage and supposidly is planning on having 4g in all 3g spots by year end. Thus the temptation for leaving
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Keep in mind, also, that Sprint's unlimited nights starts at 7. ATT and Verizon starts at 9... you can add unlimited nights to begin at 7 for $17/month ($408 for 24 months). I didn't even see where you can add that to Verizon.

It might be a big deal to some, but it's a pretty big deal in our family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    But one must remember you get what you pay for....and Verizon is much better when it comes to network coverage and reliablitly and I believe data speeds on 3g...also their customer service is much better.....and device selection is by far better. so it depends if these benefits of verizon are worth the difference.
    Let me say that in the decade+ I have been with Sprint, they have had some of the worst customer service of any company anywhere. So no argument there. However, they have improved vastly in recent years. But--and this is a big but--if you pay your bill on time, you never ever have to deal with them. I have my bill automatically deducted every month. The only time I have ever had to deal with Sprint's customer service was when they were transitioning from 2G to "Power Vision" (3G) and there were some growing pains to be worked out. Basically they screwed up my Vision profile when they upgraded my plan, but once it was fixed, it stayed fixed. That was years ago. I haven't said word one to a Sprint employee about my service since then.

As far as the network coverage and reliability... I'd say it's a wash. If you are roaming (for free) on a Sprint phone, you're doing it on Verizon's network. So if Sprint's coverage isn't good enough, you basically get Verizon's coverage thrown in for free. And since they're both CDMA, the reliability and 3G data speeds are roughly the same... Unless you're in the Pacific northwest (Seattle/Portland) or the northeast (NYC/Boston), in which case Sprint beats Verizon.

And as for devices, I have always found Sprint to have the most desirable phones, but that is of course subjective.

Verizon used to be competitive with multi-line family plans, but now I see no reason to recommend any carrier other than Sprint to my family, friends or clients. This is especially true if they are data users. Comparing terms of service regarding data usage, there is absolutely nothing subjective about what's contained in the fine print, and Sprint handily wins that category without contest.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Nice work Milo, thanks for publishing this. I have a family of 4 on Sprint (all Pre's) and this is perfect for my situation. You saved me a ton of time by publishing this.

3 out of 4 of us use Sprint Nav, and all 4 of us use texting (2000/mo) and data (2-2.5GB/mo). Our minutes are usually 600 total per month, but half or more are in the Sprint "free" categories.

For me the savings on Sprint is higher when I account for my employer plan. I get 25% savings on Sprint, and I haven't seen anything higher than 10% for Verizon anywhere I've worked.

I just hope Sprint is part of the webOS future - I don't want to transition to Android.
    Last edited by jp99; 01/22/2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added more plan use info
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    ...Also, there are discounts available for most Verizon customers, so it's not necessarily fair to show a discount for Sprint and none for Verizon...
    P,

Would you start a thread showing how everyone can get the discount from Verizon? Would you include the phone number to call and the website? I be we have a zillion people who do not know.

Once we can document the process for them, I will add it in the chart. But in fairness we have to tell them how to do it to include it. I would document it but I cannot find it.

You, or whoever does this, will make a lot of people very happy.

- Craig
    In regards to discounts at AT&T and Verizon. I presently do not use any of the listed carriers. I would like to move on to a smart phone from my current NET10 prepay.
    Neither AT&T or Verizon will give me any kind of a discount. I just do not work for the right corporation or qualify in any other way. I have not shopped Sprint yet.
    Thank you for this thread.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  15.    #35  
    I just saw this is another thread:

Thanks, Maestro1!

This is really a good comparison of an individual age 40 to 60 who does talk on their phone a lot. Like so many, they may have ditched their land line completely. The only ones left calling them from a land line would probably be their parents.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/22/2011 at 09:21 AM.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Jesus - whatever network you are on, you guys get absolutely spanked in terms of cost. Here in the UK, I pay $24 a month and get 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of internet. If I was willing to sign a 18 month contract, I could have got them to throw in a phone like the LG optimus without altering that figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    In regards to discounts at AT&T and Verizon. I presently do not use any of the listed carriers. I would like to move on to a smart phone from my current NET10 prepay.
    Neither AT&T or Verizon will give me any kind of a discount. I just do not work for the right corporation or qualify in any other way. I have not shopped Sprint yet.
    Thank you for this thread.
    I just used my college email (which is called alumni email now). But i could have used my energy company, insurance company, or state or national accountant societies (aicpa). My wife, a teacher, is federal, or could've used her NEA, or other membership. Or join a credit union.

You just need to check things out. If you want a discount, its not too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    I feel like I've successfully beat the system, no?
    I'd rather just pay a data plan and go with skype or similar. There's probably a reason they're not putting 3G chips in ipod touches and having data plans for those. Carriers are making a killing on the voice & text plans. But the future is data.
    Just in case it hasn't been pointed out yet, the Sprint Plan for $69.99 + $10.00 includes "Any Mobile".

This, according to Sprint means that it also includes unlimited minutes to other mobile phones on any network (i.e. calls to Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Boost, Metro PCS e.t.c).

"Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time."

Therefore, the effective minutes at the end of the month will be

EffectiveMinutes = 450+(vTotalMinutesUsed * (vPercentCallsToDomesticMobile/100))

Now, the significance of the EffectiveMinutes in comparing plans would be much less if the largest proportion that are called belong to one specific network.

However, in the worst case the Any Mobile along with the unlimited evenings starting at 7pm will guarantee that there will be no penalty (no additional minutes used in comparison to other networks) for joining Sprint.

:
    :
    24 Month Contract Summary

Individual
    • Sprint is $407.52 less than Verizon and $287.76 less than AT&T.

Family of 4
    • Sprint is $1,140.00 less than Verizon and $660.96 less than AT&T.

Code:
    Monthly         Sprint     Verizon         AT&T
    Individual      $73.00      $89.98       $84.99
                              + $16.98     + $11.99 

Family (4)     $192.43     $239.93      $219.97
                              + $47.50     + $27.54 
    ----------------------------------------------
    24 Months       Sprint     Verizon         AT&T
    Individual   $1,752.00   $2,159.52    $2,039.76
                             + $407.52    + $287.76  

Family (4)   $4,618.32   $5,758.32    $5,279.80
                           + $1,140.00    + $660.96
    bookmark
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Jesus - whatever network you are on, you guys get absolutely spanked in terms of cost. Here in the UK, I pay $24 a month and get 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of internet. If I was willing to sign a 18 month contract, I could have got them to throw in a phone like the LG optimus without altering that figure.
    I doubt that it is $24 in the UK, it would probably be £24 ≈ $40.

Although that is still cheaper, the telephone systems in the UK have too many biases to compare cell phone plan pricing between the UK and the US based on just the conversion rate.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast