Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I can't believe this article. - I almost don't want to link to it because i don't think it deserves page views, but here it is

8 Companies That Shouldn't Make a Tablet | PCMag.com

He ranks on everyone that wants to compete with apple or android.
    Please leave some negative comments.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/22/2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: clarified title
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Here is my wall of text cross-posted from his article

Do you work at the Genius Bar? To say none of these mfrs should participate in the tablet revolution is to lose them their stake in the future of consumer electronics. Let's start with AOL. Not much to say here except content delivery is moving towards walled gardens, take The Daily, facebook, comcast/NBC/Universal, for example. If AOL doesn't join the party with a competitive product, it will fade. Should they make the tablet? Maybe not. They could definitely subsidize another one though. HP/Palm - this is where my allegiance lay. I will not deny it, but who better to give apple a run for their money. Complain all you want, but the reason Palm failed was the hardware, stupid. Feb 9, I'll save some crow for you. Dell needs to innovate to stay relevant. They are operating on this margins and don't have a very strong high end (stress turnkey) enterprise market to fall back on like HP does. They have an excellent business user market though and a supply channel that, like HP, can really push their tablets in front of people, pushing...wait for it....sales! Fujitsu! I can't believe you want them to get out of the "game." They have made innovative tablets since before apple dug itself out of muddy waters. I had many of them. Could you read it outdoors? Why yes, thank you transflective screen. Could you use them in the rain? Why yes, thank you custom otterbox support. Were they good on battery? Why yes, thank you 5 hr battery life (this is years ago too, full blown windows vista). Were they one of the first to get rid of the tablet screen bezel? ummm, not sure actually :-( but I remember Acer, Electrovaya, Asus, Dell (but not HP) had bezels at the time. Do you see Fujitsu in point of sale, doctor's offices, industry and manufacturing? why yes, yes you do (open your eyes). Does Fujitsu have to sell to consumers? Maybe not. Should they throw away all their prior knowledge? no. I mean, for goodness' sake, they had a card reader on a phone years! ago. Skip to Amazon: Mark my words, Amazon will be a leader in low cost, full color E-ink e-readers. We will be able to have textbooks on the same page, read as slow as we want, and not have to worry about batteries or staying out of the sun. They pushed e-readers into relevance. /Rant
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Well............. these 2 eco systems have done quite well and easy to migrate from phones to tablet if you are in apple/android.

HPalm will need to be a game changer or the guy could very well be rite. (not what I hope but have gambled on some good electronics stuff that went nowhere... Betamax anyone...?
    It's his opinion. He's already getting flamed for it in the comments on the page already.

People can say what they want, but we'll see what happens when the hardware actually comes out. I think HP is going to be fine, but it doesn't mean I'm right. (But I'm probably more right than he is)
    Sprint Love
    Time will tell ... it was an entertaining article none-the-less.
    I don't know about HP, but to be honest, I agree about some of the others.

MSFT never seems to get it right. They've partnered up with some failures, including...

Sony, which always comes up with some weird configuration for everything.

And then we have Dell... yeah.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's served it's purpose - it's getting the author lots of clicks.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't know about HP, but to be honest, I agree about some of the others.

MSFT never seems to get it right. They've partnered up with some failures, including...

Sony, which always comes up with some weird configuration for everything.

And then we have Dell... yeah.
    Oh yes, I've seen their strategy plan for tablets, it has never changed:

WE WILL KEEP PUTTING OUT OUR DESKTOP SOFTWARE ON OTHER FORM FACTORS - EVENTUALLY THE PUBLIC WILL BUY IT.
    He basically said that if your not apple or one of those android toting companies you shouldn't make a tablet.
    LOL.. his article is basically saying anyone who is not Apple or Google should not make a tablet. Yes, and any company not named Porsche or Mercedes should not make a car because the market isn't big enough and no one else will pull it off.
    I don't agree if those are his true reasons. But Dell does make Android tablets, the old Streak just wasn't catching on. I don't know what the 7" will do but Dell will also have to step it up or forget it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I can't believe this article. - I almost don't want to link to it because i don't think it deserves page views, but here it is

8 Companies That Shouldn't Make a Tablet | PCMag.com

He ranks on everyone that wants to compete with apple or android.
    Please leave some negative comments.
    No meat to his opposition on why the "8" companies should stay out of the tablet game. The slide show is completely worthless.

I enjoyed reading the comments more than the nonsense article. He is getting pounded, and rightfully so.
    Who is Iyaz Akhtar? My mom doesn't like iPhones, and I know who she is. (She doesn't like my Pre either, but then, she's old)
    Writer is saying that app development will move at a snail's pace, similar to what happened with the Pre. Anyone can say that the pattern will continue, it would be more interesting if the writer could see the possibilities in the greater resources that the acquisition has brought to the table.
    Good news is that we only have a few weeks to wait until the Feb 9th announcement.
    I only read the part on HP, and PCmag is ********... and this following quote was beyond ridiculous. "HP is not apple and should not try to mimic it" hahaha

Pcmags main reason to say this was because app development for webos was and is still slow. however...

The reason app developments has been at a slow pace for webos is because
    --pre was not successful device overall for various reasons...build quality, marketing etc.
    --up until the purchase of palm by HP, the future of webos was uncertain.
    -- there is still no new post-acquisition devices announced, and as far as most consumers look at it webos is still palm and not HP, because there has not been no big official grand announcement by HP regarding post aquisition webos devices or webos software and services...(waiting for feb 9th.)

I truly believe that app development will increase dramatically once HP makes an offical announcement (feb 9th) and app developers have some sort of idea of the future of webos, and see new shiny devices that people will want.

--uncertainty has left developers on the sideline, waiting for something official...when that official announcement happens I believe they will be all in.

--once HP announces their future plans for webos software and how they will be putting on a range of devices...i think app developers will jump in... for example make applications for webos that will be on future HP printers... a market that doesn't even exist yet in competitors app catalogs.

---Palm and HP have already made it very easy for app developers to port over apps from say IOS, to webos...for example Angrybirds came on webos before android!!!

---and finally HP is reaching out to the developer community, and as big as HP is im sure they can throw their weight around really pushing developers to develop for webos.

once all the uncertainty is gone app development is going to ramp up insanely.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Don't listen to them, that's crazy talk.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Wasn't there a thread about this already?
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    --uncertainty has left developers on the sideline, waiting for something official...when that official announcement happens I believe they will be all in.
    Seems many or not "on the sideline waiting", they are simply ignoring webOS. There are even developers that were in that have decided to move on.
    ---Palm and HP have already made it very easy for app developers to port over apps from say IOS, to webos...for example Angrybirds came on webos before android!!!
    They've made it easy to port certain games from iOS, not apps in general. Also the vast majority of developers who have apps that could be ported seem to continue to ignore webOS despite how easy it is to port.
    once all the uncertainty is gone app development is going to ramp up insanely.
    IDK, WP7 has yet to prove itself and yet has gained more apps in 2 months than webOS has in 18. Maybe that will change, but I'd argue that you've probably missed some "reasons" in your post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast