Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Doesn't matter. HP and Dell are making tablets.

Amazon is the one that shouldn't but he gives the green light. Amazon needs to pull a google and just make sure they're on the platforms. Partnering and integrating itself with HP's tablets in a huge way is a start. Both benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Seems many or not "on the sideline waiting", they are simply ignoring webOS. There are even developers that were in that have decided to move on.

They've made it easy to port certain games from iOS, not apps in general. Also the vast majority of developers who have apps that could be ported seem to continue to ignore webOS despite how easy it is to port.

IDK, WP7 has yet to prove itself and yet has gained more apps in 2 months than webOS has in 18. Maybe that will change, but I'd argue that you've probably missed some "reasons" in your post.
    I feel when looking at potential and success for mobile OS's and their respective devices we are experiencing a chicken vs. the egg conundrum

Consumers want to buy the devices on the OS with the best selection of mobile applications; however developers only want to develop for OS and device that have that have a large enough base for them to sell their applications on.
    -------so which has to come first-------

whether they are sitting on the sidelines or just ignoring webos, one thing we know is because as where webos is now and as far as webos devices are concerned it is not worth developing for. Again remember HP has not done anything officially regarding Palm devices and Webos in general.

The difference however with wp7 blowing past webos, is because they already have their new devices and new OS from microsoft....everything available up until today in the world of webos was from original palm and not the new HP/palm...once HP makes everything official, and does all their software and hardware announcements I believe and hope that development will ramp up dramatically.
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 01/22/2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Looks like a mansion? :P

EDit: Look at the details of the render, a sensor, cutouts around the edges, looks a bit detailed for something to be just drawn up, anyone with more skillz able to chime in?

and... a 3/27 release date?
    Last edited by Vyruz Reaper; 01/22/2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I feel when looking at potential and success for mobile OS's and their respective devices we are experiencing a chicken vs. the egg conundrum

Consumers want to buy the devices on the OS with the best selection of mobile applications; however developers only want to develop for OS and device that have that have a large enough base for them to sell their applications on.
    -------so which has to come first-------
    Agreed. It's a tough situation. But again, using WP7 as an example, the reports seem to indicate the platform has yet to prove itself in terms of sales and yet there seems to be intense developer interest.

whether they are sitting on the sidelines or just ignoring webos, one thing we know is because as where webos is now and as far as webos devices are concerned it is not worth developing for. Again remember HP has not done anything officially regarding Palm devices and Webos in general.

The difference however with wp7 blowing past webos, is because they already have their new devices and new OS from microsoft....everything available up until today in the world of webos was from original palm and not the new HP/palm...once HP makes everything official, and does all their software and hardware announcements I believe and hope that development will ramp up dramatically.
    I hear ya. But keep in mind that Palm was in a similar situation in 2009 and since then, there has been a long list of "webOS development floodgates will burst wide open when {insert upcoming event here} occurs". I'm not saying it won't this time. What I'm saying is I have a salt shaker ready because of all the other times.
    it does look quite detailed, but i find it very vanilla looking myself (hoping its not a real device). also, the article is about tablets so perhaps it is nothing more than a shoddy tablet mockup with a webos 2.0 screenshot thrown in, which is what i am leaning toward.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    it does look quite detailed, but i find it very vanilla looking myself (hoping its not a real device). also, the article is about tablets so perhaps it is nothing more than a shoddy tablet mockup with a webos 2.0 screenshot thrown in, which is what i am leaning toward.
    this can NOT be a tablet. If you rotate the screen, where is the new gesture area?
    that is the windows HP slate with a little Photoshop magic.
    that is the windows HP slate with a little Photoshop magic.

Maybe your right... but maybe your not
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    this can NOT be a tablet. If you rotate the screen, where is the new gesture area?
    i don't know, but the lack of gesture area is what led me to believe it couldn't be a phone. i'm pretty sure HP will be implementing gesture areas all over their new devices.
    i don't know, but the lack of gesture area is what led me to believe it couldn't be a phone. i'm pretty sure HP will be implementing gesture areas all over their new devices.
    YOu can always have the HP logo light up as your new gesture area "light" notification
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Agreed. It's a tough situation. But again, using WP7 as an example, the reports seem to indicate the platform has yet to prove itself in terms of sales and yet there seems to be intense developer interest.

I hear ya. But keep in mind that Palm was in a similar situation in 2009 and since then, there has been a long list of "webOS development floodgates will burst wide open when {insert upcoming event here} occurs". I'm not saying it won't this time. What I'm saying is I have a salt shaker ready because of all the other times.
    I guess only time will tell, I just hope when HP does their thing with webos; developers will hop on as they did with Microsoft. because they know they have this multi-billion dollar corporation that is going to do what it takes to make the OS sucessful...I think HP has more at stake with webos than microsoft has with WP7; HP wants webos to be their ecosystem for all their mobile devices and other non mobile devices, and they are the manufactures of all webos devices............while to Microsoft WP7 is just their mobile phone OS (for now) that they are experimenting with, and they don't sell the hardware.
    Thinking outside of the box for a bit, perhaps they've come up with a workaround for the gesture area, maybe something akin to the metatap, put your finger on the hp logo and do your gesture on the main display.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    If you look closely, you can see a card open in the background that has the pcmag homepage. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that this mock-up was made by pcmag.
    this isn't anything other than a crappy mockup pcmag made. The end
    <<threads merged>>
    Wow.. What an article. Propose an AOL tablet on one slide, then completely brush off a WebOS tablet on another. Seriously? An "AOL" tablet???
    It's an opinion article as lots of articles are these days.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The mistake that all these people keep making is thinking that this market is going to be decided in the next few months. It's not. It's going to take years for the mobile connected devices market to shake out, if it ever really does. Just looking at the impact that Android has had on iOS should give one pause in thinking any vendor at any point in time is perfectly safe against nascent competition.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast