Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Many people think tap-and-hold is too long when jumping between apps on Android. I'm a fan of QuickDesk which I have assigned to a double-tap of the home button. This brings up a panel with 20 apps plus a list of about 15 recently used apps.

A cool app is SwipePad. It allows you to jump to any of 12 of your favorite apps with a single swiping gesture. It's pretty cool for a beta app.

Right now, I'm using a combination of both apps. I've assigned a few favorite apps to SwipePad but one of the slots have been assigned to QuickDesk. Now I can jump to any of 11 favorite apps or see my 15 most recent apps with a single swipe. The bonus is that if I land on QuickDesk, I get an additional 20 apps quickly. So with very little work, I can jump to 31 apps (plus 15 most recent apps) from any screen at any time.

This is not webOS cards. However, since there are many who use both OSes here (and many who have switched), I thought it would be nice to point some of these out.

I hope they build something like this into future Android versions.

Darn you Tarharka! Aren't you the guy who recently convinced me to try (and become addicted to) QuickDesk? Yet another way to use Android - I love it.
  3.    #3  
    LOL, yeah, I use both. I'm not giving up QD either. But this makes a pretty cool add-on.
    There are many "improved" ways to multi-task with android. Thats why i do find it comical when people complain about things that can be fixed with an app.

Then somehow say they miss patches from WebOS.....
    Stop showing me good apps, my phone is going to be full of them.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm fascinated by how many apps people are using on a daily basis - I think if you discount widgets and fixes, then I have about 25 apps on my device. I use maybe four on a daily basis and then another 5 or 6 on a weekly basis and the rest on a "every so often" basis.
    I've never actually counted how many I have.

The number is pretty dynamic, anyway, if I find something new I like I'll install it and an always getting rid of ones that I realize I really don't use.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I've barely explored the Marketplace so far. I'm still trying out different ROMs to see what's available.

I'll definitely be checking out the apps taharka mentioned though. I don't mind holding the home button, but double tapping it would be slightly faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm fascinated by how many apps people are using on a daily basis - I think if you discount widgets and fixes, then I have about 25 apps on my device. I use maybe four on a daily basis and then another 5 or 6 on a weekly basis and the rest on a "every so often" basis.
    I'm probably similar. Everyday apps:

Handcent
    Facebook
    Twitdroid
    BeyondPod
    PowerAmp
    Engadget

The other apps are more once and a while to "in very specific situations" haha.

Like Yelp is very much a, when i'm looking for a resturant app.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Stop showing me good apps, my phone is going to be full of them.
    Heh, you know what they say. If you're on Android, when it comes to apps, you're full of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    There are many "improved" ways to multi-task with android. Thats why i do find it comical when people complain about things that can be fixed with an app.

Then somehow say they miss patches from WebOS.....
    I know you probably already know this, but since you posted your last paragraph, you dont need a patch nor a 3rd party app to muti-task on webOS, its enbedded within the OS....

Hopefully soon, webOS will have as many useful 3 party apps as Android, along with the great choices of hardware.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I know you probably already know this, but since you posted your last paragraph, you dont need a patch nor a 3rd party app to muti-task on webOS, its enbedded within the OS....

Hopefully soon, webOS will have as many useful 3 party apps as Android, along with the great choices of hardware.
    I think the point was that many "love" the fact that webOS has so many patches but then complain that you have to install relatively few things to add features to Android.

By the way, multi-tasking is aslo built into Android. This post is about some apps that enhances the task switching aspect. The apps are NOT needed in order to multi-task on Android. It is, as you say, "embedded within the OS".
    I'm going to get both of these right now. You don't know how many times I've almost smashed this thing out of frustration when doing something as simple as going back and forth between a web page and twitter to talk with someone about what's on the web page.

I had read that long press home and tapping what you need brought it up "instantly." Not quite. Maybe I've got a bunk EVO or something, but in my experience, just swiping over to the other card is way faster than waiting for them to "instantly" reopen on android.

Anything that will help this EVO come closer to multitasking is a godsend to me, so thanks for the tip on the appa, OP!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post

webOS is like a half cooked OS that web community like this one has to create our own patches to make it usable. And making fun of other mobile os, just typical behavior here.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    I'm going to get both of these right now. You don't know how many times I've almost smashed this thing out of frustration when doing something as simple as going back and forth between a web page and twitter to talk with someone about what's on the web page.

I had read that long press home and tapping what you need brought it up "instantly." Not quite. Maybe I've got a bunk EVO or something, but in my experience, just swiping over to the other card is way faster than waiting for them to "instantly" reopen on android.

Anything that will help this EVO come closer to multitasking is a godsend to me, so thanks for the tip on the appa, OP!

Keep in mind that it is still not as seamless as webOS in terms of bouncing between any two random apps (especially if those apps are in adjacent cards). But if bouncing between any two of your favorite 12 apps, it should be pretty close. Also SwipePad is in beta. I can't wait to see what sort of things the dev will add. For example, it would be nice to have swiping from different areas present different panels. Cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Keep in mind that it is still not as seamless as webOS in terms of bouncing between any two random apps (especially if those apps are in adjacent cards). But if bouncing between any two of your favorite 12 apps, it should be pretty close. Also SwipePad is in beta. I can't wait to see what sort of things the dev will add. For example, it would be nice to have swiping from different areas present different panels. Cool stuff.
    Thanks for the warning. I wasn't expecting anything quite like webOS multitasking, just looking at ways to make it better on android.

I've been playing with quick desk since right after I posted earlier, and I've noticed it causing some issues with adw ex...

What launchers are the people who also have quick desk using, and have you noticed any conflicts?

Thanks.

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    Thanks for the warning. I wasn't expecting anything quite like webOS multitasking, just looking at ways to make it better on android.

I've been playing with quick desk since right after I posted earlier, and I've noticed it causing some issues with adw ex...

What launchers are the people who also have quick desk using, and have you noticed any conflicts?

Thanks.

I'm stock (HTC Sense). What issues are you having? They claim it should work with all launchers.

Edit: Well that's what the tutorial says but the release notes states Might be keeping your launcher from being kicked out (only workes with android launcher - com.android.launcher)
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'm stock (HTC Sense). What issues are you having? They claim it should work with all launchers.

Edit: Well that's what the tutorial says but the release notes states Might be keeping your launcher from being kicked out (only workes with android launcher - com.android.launcher)
    It's working for the most part. The main thing is that it's taking a long time for the launcher to repopulate with all of the Widgets and app icons. Like you know how every now and again with Sense when you press home while in an app it might take a second or two for it to come up? ADW does that too now and again, but since installing Quick Desk it's taken a few seconds every time I push home. I'll see if it's just that I'm trying to do too many things at once right now or something, and see how it behaves tomorrow, and after a restart or having been idle a while.

The other strange thing is with the notification curtain. I had adw set up so that when I hit home once, it went to my default screen, and when it hit home again from there it opened the notification curtain. I also have it set to hide the status bar.

Anyway, if I have the status bar visible and I hit home from the default screen, it opens notifications as it should. But when I hit home the second time, instead of closing the notifications it shuts them and immediately reopens them. The curtain just goes up and right back down.

If I have the status bar hidden and I hit home, it pulls down the curtain, and then springs right back up. Like it's flashing me. LOL

I reassigned the default screen/show notifications action to a downward swipe on the screen, and it works fine, regardless of whether I have the status bar hidden or not. I would say that maybe the home button was just overloaded with functions, but when I reassigned the default screen/notifications command I set the home button to show previews and that works flawlessly.

I guess it's just a little glitch in the way the ADW EX launcher (which by the way I quite like and highly recommend) and Quick Desk work together.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    @igobytony: I can only speak anecdotally, but I believe when you see a launcher repopulating your home screen, it's because the OS closed it to free up memory, much like it would an app. From your home screen, go into your settings, the applications. Check around for your running services, and you should be able to see (and close) things running in the background. If you close some things out, you should see a difference in behavior. Rebooting accomplishes the same thing, only on a wider scale.
    I can do soo much more with android just not as much "fun"

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast