Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Oh, IDK, I'm having a blast with it. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Oh, IDK, I'm having a blast with it. :-)
    Same here!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    What launchers are the people who also have quick desk using, and have you noticed any conflicts?
    It plays very nicely with Launcher Pro and stock Moto and Samsung launchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    should we move this thread to android central so those members can have the benefit of this knowledge?

Don't want to hijack this thread (so I will probably start a seperate one) but this brings up an interesting point -- Why are we still here? Why are so many of us still posting on PreCentral when we not only have, but are really enjoying our Andriods (especially, it seems, the Evos). And why is some of the best Evo and Android info and posts over here at PreCentral?

One reason is due to there being so many devices over on androidcentral, there is not one, central, place for people to gather to discuss all aspects (i know there are forums where that could happen, lbut it doesnt). There are also other boards where you can get Android and Evo information where for the Pre, this is about it.

I'm sure there is also a nostalgia factor in it all. Many of us "grew up" over here and it is hard to leave.

But mostly I think its because the PreCentral posters are still the most involved, dedicated and knowlegable of any board I have been on. When you look over in Android land, its just not the same and many of the posters who DO do a great job were ones that used to be over here!

So to get back on point, I do think that at least a summery of this thread should be posted over at AndroidCentral!
  5.    #25  
    That's a pretty long hijacking post whose intent is not to hijack.

Here's the thing. If the honest intent is an overwhelming desire to have this cross-posted over to AC, why not just do that rather than simply stating it here? Or was there a second intent behind these posts?

As the OP, I simply wanted to convey some information to people here who are interested. It's why I specifically chose to post in the cross-platform area. It hasn't had that many hits, so I don't think it's too intrusive.
    That's a pretty long hijacking post whose intent is not to hijack.

Here's the thing. If the honest intent is an overwhelming desire to have this cross-posted over to AC, why not just do that rather than simply stating it here? Or was there a second intent behind these posts?

As the OP, I simply wanted to convey some information to people here who are interested. It's why I specifically chose to post in the cross-platform area. It hasn't had that many hits, so I don't think it's too intrusive.
    I think thread was appropriate here. Also think it would be good over at AC, but while I don't mind semi-hijacking a post for a good cause, I wouldnt grab somebody's thread on the QT from PC to AC, thats for the OP to decide ASAP IMO

Edit: (oops, left out IDK and ADW!)
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/21/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    well im not using an android phone .. but im using an archos 101 android tablet and these multitasking apps are working great ... and im using the ADW launcher .... im going to try the launcher pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    @igobytony: I can only speak anecdotally, but I believe when you see a launcher repopulating your home screen, it's because the OS closed it to free up memory, much like it would an app. From your home screen, go into your settings, the applications. Check around for your running services, and you should be able to see (and close) things running in the background. If you close some things out, you should see a difference in behavior. Rebooting accomplishes the same thing, only on a wider scale.
    Yeah, it's definitely a memory issue. I really wish android would let me manage apps in an easier way. i should make a shortcut to that settings screen, since i'm always popping in there to shut off a lot of the things that auto run.

i went into the adw settings and elected to make it persistant, which prevents the system from shutting it down, and that cleared up that particular issue.

i think i may need to pay attention to how much memory Quick Desk is using, and maybe even delete it. while i do like having quick access to a greater number of apps (i like the bottom drawer it has, aside from the fact that it dosn't open automatically), and the pandora and music player widgets are nice to make adjustments without having to go to the homescreen, it takes a little time for the widgets/apps to load and a whole extra step to get to the recently used apps.

i guess the jury's still out, but so far with the way i have my phone set up and use it this doesn't seem to be saving much time. of course that's just me, and as they say YMMV.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    ...i like the bottom drawer it has, aside from the fact that it dosn't open automatically...and a whole extra step to get to the recently used apps.
    Interesting. Once I've opened the quick panel, it stays open and is there whenever I return to quick desk. There are also some options in preferences to keep it open (I don't have those check but you may want to try it) and to force QD to stay in memory. See if any of those help you.
    Interesting. Once I've opened the quick panel, it stays open and is there whenever I return to quick desk. There are also some options in preferences to keep it open (I don't have those check but you may want to try it) and to force QD to stay in memory. See if any of those help you.
    thank you, i hadn't really been able to dive into QD's settings at all, as i dowloaded it late last night and have been at work today.

i will definitely look into keeping the drawer open, and to force QD to persist as well. those two changes would absolutely sell me on keeping this soley for the music and pandora widgets, and the number of recent apps.
    i checked it out. mine was already set to persist, and i made the change to have the recent app drawer show automatically. that change really increased functionality for me.

based on that, and the fact that pandora/music player widgets on QD are about as close as i can get to the in notification controls that webOS offers, i'm thinking i'm going to be keeping this. I'll probably even be picking up the pro version, but after a week to make sure.

thanks again for the advice on how to tweak it. saved me some time poking around in settings later.
  12.    #32  
    Glad it worked out for you.
    Multitasking on Android is suboptimal for my needs. Many programs seems to revert back to their home screen when you switch to another program and switch back (eg, when checking text messages):

1) Youtube loses it's place in the video
    2) a specific contact was open but switches back to contacts directory

Moreover, I've had several instances in which the audio of 2 different programs would play simultaneously.

Has anyone encountered this scenarios? I'm wondering if something funky is going on with my Evo or if it's just a limitation of android. This is not true multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    Multitasking on Android is suboptimal for my needs. Many programs seems to revert back to their home screen when you switch to another program and switch back (eg, when checking text messages):

1) Youtube loses it's place in the video
    2) a specific contact was open but switches back to contacts directory

Moreover, I've had several instances in which the audio of 2 different programs would play simultaneously.

Has anyone encountered this scenarios? I'm wondering if something funky is going on with my Evo or if it's just a limitation of android. This is not true multitasking.
    that's just kind of the way it works, in my experience. it is frustrating when you're used to being able to actually multitask, as opposed to fast task switching between a frozen state (that, as you mentioned, isn't always; wordfeud is another one that goes back to it's main page, and twidroyd does on occasion as well). but until webOS gets on Evo-like hardware, i'm sticking with this Evo.

as far as two audios playing, yeah that happens too. i can run music player and pandora at the same time. there's your multitasking.

ps you're kind of thread hijacking. just sayin'. lol, but then i bit, so bad on me as well...
    Last edited by igobytony; 01/21/2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    I've found that more apps will stay in the state you left them, if you reopen them from the recent apps.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I agree

Evo-lution
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I've found that more apps will stay in the state you left them, if you reopen them from the recent apps.

Sent from my eVo
    ditto. i rarely use the app drawer or homescreen icons, as it's usually just the same 8 apps that i use most often. the ones that i mentioned were in reference to using the recent apps way of selecting them.

oh, and just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, i'm not trying to rip on the evo. i LOVE the hardware. and i like android overall, with the not actually multitasking thing and the depth of menu layers to get through to manage tasks being the only things i can think of that i don't.
    I don't think that there is anyone at Android Central who would look at another way to do cards.

Android users don't want to see multitasking. They want the phone to just do it. With folders, they are three taps away from any of up to 256 apps.

You can't go though a stack of cards in three taps.

The only ones who care about cards are right here.

Matias Duarte is a great guy but I hope he keeps his promise that cards will be just an optional method in Honeycomb.

The typical PC user can Select All text with their mouse and then click Edit → Copy in less than 10 seconds.

The power user can do it in less than a second <Ctrl>-<A> <Ctrl>-<C>.

Graphics is fun but slow.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/24/2011 at 09:12 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12