Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It just seems so silly. Im gonna love watching the idiots on the train do this all day!
    Now we just need a jailbreaker to implement that middle-finger gesture for the iPhone and we'll be set!
    (yawn)

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Apple's attempt at multitasking - terrible.

Apple's attempt at gestures - terrible.

What else will they innovate?

I bet the idea of having no hard buttons at all on their awesome pure screen phone is coming to bite them in the buttocks now.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I've read several reviews of the Pre that have criticised its gestures as being unintuitive. I wonder how those same reviewers will react to this. My guess is that they will declare it to be truly magical and ask why it is that only Apple can create such a simple UI.
    I've heard that about the Pre before too. I have to laugh, though, because it was so unintuitive that both my 2 and 4 year-old kids have figure it out on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple has already made it clear to developers that these gestures won't be in the final release. They're making them available to developers to get feedback on certain things.
    This.

Its not coming to the iPad or iPhone anytime soon. iPad makes tons more sense though.
    I just don't get why four fingers? Why not two for gestures?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Two fingers are already used for other gestures in Appleville.
    Its originally was found on the ipad update and someone just ported it to the iphone.

Never intended for the iPhone as we see it right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Two fingers are already used for other gestures in Appleville.
    Then THREE then. lol. What else other than pinch to zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Its originally was found on the ipad update and someone just ported it to the iphone.

Never intended for the iPhone as we see it right now.
    Still dont see why using FOUR fingers is necessary.
    would probably b e confused with pinch to zoom or rotate.
    Then THREE then. lol. What else other than pinch to zoom?

Still dont see why using FOUR fingers is necessary.
    In Apple touchpad land (i.e. magicpad):

1 finger: move pointer, click, drag.
    2 fingers: scroll, right-click.
    3 fingers: [left-right] back/forward (browser, finder, et al), [up-down] jump-to-top/jump-to-bottom (web page, document).
    4 fingers: [left-right] switch program/window (like alt-tab in Windows), [up] Hide all, [down]Exposť (zoom out to show all running programs).

The video looked like it was trying to capture some of the magicpad gestures. Hopefully they don't come up with any six-finger gesture or I'd be tempted to offer them a 1-fingered gesture of my own.
    Hopefully they don't come up with any six-finger gesture or I'd be tempted to offer them a 1-fingered gesture of my own.
    Careful where you send that angry bird.
    In Apple touchpad land (i.e. magicpad):

1 finger: move pointer, click, drag.
    2 fingers: scroll, right-click.
    3 fingers: [left-right] back/forward (browser, finder, et al), [up-down] jump-to-top/jump-to-bottom (web page, document).
    4 fingers: [left-right] switch program/window (like alt-tab in Windows), [up] Hide all, [down]Exposť (zoom out to show all running programs).

The video looked like it was trying to capture some of the magicpad gestures. Hopefully they don't come up with any six-finger gesture or I'd be tempted to offer them a 1-fingered gesture of my own.
    But I have to say they work incredibly well on a laptop (MacBook Pro). Those gestures and the gigantic, capacitive touchpad on my MBP make me feel no need whatsoever for a mouse.

Translating that to a small device that you're already holding with one hand, however, is just silly. I really doubt this makes it into production, but I can see them doing something with mutli-finger gestures on the iPhone if they aren't already. Just a question of what makes sense. The webOS gesture area gives HP an extra dimension to work with, and it makes for a much more elegant solution for a small, hand-held device.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    But I have to say they work incredibly well on a laptop (MacBook Pro). Those gestures and the gigantic, capacitive touchpad on my MBP make me feel no need whatsoever for a mouse.
    Agreed. Once learned, they become natural, second nature, and fluid.

Translating that to a small device that you're already holding with one hand, however, is just silly. I really doubt this makes it into production, but I can see them doing something with mutli-finger gestures on the iPhone if they aren't already. Just a question of what makes sense.
    Hopefully it's only targeted toward the iPad, which would make more sense since it's already a two-hands-required device - with enough screen space for four fingers.
    True. Very true. I honestly find the mouse awkward now.
    I guarantee this is more for developers to test with their apps than the actual gestures them self. I'm sure it's to get feedback from developers on how their apps perform based on the new method of switching applications.

I can see the ease of use on the iPad and can only assume that something more intuitive will be implemented on the iPhone.
    They should just steal cards already!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    this thread is really making me miss my pre.
    I was at Frys yesterday and I played with an HP TouchSmart PC for awhile. Not bad for some things, although trying to use an on-screen keyboard on a vertical screen was pretty bad...

But I kept trying to swipe things. and it drove me crazy. I still think that HP could put the webOS UI on top of WIn7 on their TouchSmart and really improve the product - while hooking people on the webOS experience...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast