Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some people don't believe that the cloud is the next big thing. I have been saying for a while -- and others as well -- that HP can do a great many things. One thing I suggested -- and I am sure HP will probably do this -- is the idea of creating a friends list in your phone, and whenever you post a photo in a public folder (or have it auto share) your friends will get a notification showing them the new photos. This would be amazing for sending bulk photos of your child to your loved ones and your parents -- instantly, without thought. It would be an amazing feature.

Well, like I also said before, HP is not the only company doing these things. Case in point. Photo sharing will be apart of iOS soon. So, as you can see, it's totally possible for the cloud to be used in more ways then just simple file sharing among your devices. Who else is excited to see what Apple and HP (and Google) will do in these coming months?
    I think a lot of people are curious to see what lies in the horizon for cloud usage. I know I certainly am.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    As long as they make it easy, for grandma
    all good as long as their is still physical storage on devices, wouldn't be ridiculous if the new palm tablets only had cloud storage and no physical storage.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    all good as long as their is still physical storage on devices, wouldn't be ridiculous if the new palm tablets only had cloud storage and no physical storage.
    Thats very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    With data plans being capped or going up I'm fine with local storage and wifi connections as needed. I'm not interested in streaming movies or music from the cloud if carriers are going to sign me up for a data plan for every device, cap my usage and charge me for overages.
    That's a great point. The more data we use (or the more we pay for connections), the more we would want local storage to minimize the need to pull things over the internet more than once.

As Microsoft's silly new Win7 commercial says, "To the cloud!"... "Yea, cloud."
    I allways imagine starting myown cell company to undercut the others and bring prices down/and now to make them uncap their data

Why isnt competition working? Is there not enough?
    With data plans being capped or going up I'm fine with local storage and wifi connections as needed. I'm not interested in streaming movies or music from the cloud if carriers are going to sign me up for a data plan for every device, cap my usage and charge me for overages.
    This is a very good point and one I am sure HP and other Mobile OS developers are aware of. If cloud centric mobile devices are to be successful, the carriers will need to provide much more bandwidth and cheaper data plans or we will need to have access to more wifi.

One must also remember that cloud computing is not exclusive to Mobile devices. I am an employee of a very large engineering company that uses cloud computing to allow global work sharing among all our engineering centers around the world.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I allways imagine starting myown cell company to undercut the others and bring prices down/and now to make them uncap their data

Why isnt competition working? Is there not enough?
    There's not enough competition. Plain and simple. All the major carriers in the U.S. are money hungry; one makes a bold move that's bad for consumers and then the other follow suit.
    The cell companies are for-profit companies. If they think they can get away with something to their advantage they will. That being said there are still some competing elements going on. While AT&T went to a capped data plan so far Verizon has said they don't plan to cap total data on phones and possibly in the future remove caps on their mobile broadband. Instead they have said they are considering tier speed plans just like most ISPs use now where you have unlimited data but pay more or less depending on how fast your up/down streams are. Obviously that's not a usable model on the 3G networks but when they actually fully implement a 4G network it would be an option.
    The idea that your unlimited data plan offers you unlimited data is a myth. If the average user decides that they are going to stream video from a Slingbox to their mobile device on a regular basis or do video chats on a regular basis then think of all the bandwith. Data plans are getting capped because more people are using data as all sorts of new ways to use data, including the cloud.

So, are you that sure that you can offer unlimited data to high-use customers for $1 per day?
    Naturally, all data is limited. "Unlimited" is a relative term - in the case of carrier plans, "unlimited" means they are not going to limit how much you transfer, or charge you per use fees.

Whether or not that is practical for them as a business practice is for them to decide - but that paradigm shift has happened in the past.

Once upon a time, cell phone users paid per minute charges on every call they made, not "over a certain number of minutes", and certainly not "no extra charge for minutes used". Market forces change what carriers can/will be able to charge.
    HP is a leading cloud computing advocate and has been using cloud technology services with most of their enterprise customers for some time. Let’s hope that they can bring some of that cloud expertise to webOS and their mobile devices.

TelecomTV | Video | HP at TMF Management World Americas: Cloud
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Naturally, all data is limited. "Unlimited" is a relative term - in the case of carrier plans, "unlimited" means they are not going to limit how much you transfer, or charge you per use fees.

Whether or not that is practical for them as a business practice is for them to decide - but that paradigm shift has happened in the past.

Once upon a time, cell phone users paid per minute charges on every call they made, not "over a certain number of minutes", and certainly not "no extra charge for minutes used". Market forces change what carriers can/will be able to charge.
    They can always cancel your service.... most terms and conditions contracts, state that excessive use of unlimited service does give them the right to cancel your service.... usually they use the term "excessive", however if everything goes to cloud computing, how are we gonna define excessive.
    It makes me wonder if companies like HP will start making deals with cell providers. Maybe they pay them a percentage per phone sold which goes toward providing data features (such as mobile hotspot or unlimited data).
    Sure. But not totally. Local storage isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I look forward to cloud syncing.... Storage on the device that's made possible through the cloud.

I want music local for example.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's not enough competition. Plain and simple. All the major carriers in the U.S. are money hungry; one makes a bold move that's bad for consumers and then the other follow suit.
    It's what I like to call "American Greed" This is exactly why corporations are about pure profit now, and maybe investing back into their company later. Board Member can cash in while customers suffer higher prices. What a beautiful thing; just think, if these companies can't hold their ridicules profit margins they can just go bankrupt and walk away with fat pockets. The only way consumers have any leverage is by threatening to leave their carrier. Hopefully at that point retention favors you a deal, but probably not.
    If the carriers provide enough data to do actually take advantage of cloud storage--at a reasonable price, I wouldn't care if it only came with 8 gigs of flash memory.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Some people don't believe that the cloud is the next big thing. I have been saying for a while -- and others as well -- that HP can do a great many things. One thing I suggested -- and I am sure HP will probably do this -- is the idea of creating a friends list in your phone, and whenever you post a photo in a public folder (or have it auto share) your friends will get a notification showing them the new photos.

I'm pretty sure that Picasa (in other words google photos) can already do this? In fact, if you buy into the android/google ecology, it does an awful lot of that stuff but it's not particularly well advertised. For example, I didn't realise until the other day that the fitness app on my phone can automatically upload my training data straight to google health. The big gap currently for Android is media/music but Gingerbread has a music sync tab built into it so that suggests that they have something set-up to roll out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    It's what I like to call "American Greed"
    It's simply capitalism. Businesses are privately/publicly held (vice by the government) and allowed to perform production and set pricing as they see fit in order to gain/maintain a profit. Consumers are freely allowed to vote with their wallets. The government's role is to ensure all this works without unfair impediments (like monopolies, insider advantage in public trading, etc). Greed is certainly one of the motivators in a capitalistic system, but the overriding motivation is profit (which many mis-characterize as greed).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Picasa (in other words google photos) can already do this?
    It can and it does.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    In fact, if you buy into the android/google ecology, it does an awful lot of that stuff but it's not particularly well advertised. For example, I didn't realise until the other day that the fitness app on my phone can automatically upload my training data straight to google health. The big gap currently for Android is media/music but Gingerbread has a music sync tab built into it so that suggests that they have something set-up to roll out.
    Calendars, todos, contacts, voicemail, photos, docs, videos, map sharing, and more. It's all there already available for you to share with whomever you want either on their desktop or one of many mobile device models.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast