Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Here's something else to look forward to when you move all of your content to the cloud. You will have the opportunity to pay not only for the amount of your own data you can access but the speed you can access it at:

I guess this is like buying an HD or SSD drive from the cloud. You pay for the quantity and the speed. How I'm looking forward to that when accessing my own data
    God that is disgusting.
    Been using the cloud for a long time. Love it. Any PC or Laptop in my house I have the same data. Same thing at work. Using Google (docs, email, task etc) , Dropbox , Evernote . I use the cloud so much that I got rid of my Desktop . I use my Phone and Tablet for just about everything. . I have a laptop I use as my desktop now.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Reasons to use " the cloud":

1. Convenience (but see 3)
    2. Price (for now, usually)

Reasons not to:

3. Availability (no or poor net connection due to location or technical difficulty)
    4. Security (where is your data? what *country* is your data in, and what access laws do they have? who has access to your data "informally"? - A guy I know runs a PC repair company. He has the biggest collection of music and video I have ever come across....)
    5. Backup & control (what happens when the service you use closes, or they "lose" your data?)
    6. The name (am I the only one that finds the term "the cloud" as lame as a one-legged donkey?)

I for one do NOT welcome our data eating overlords!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Reasons to use " the cloud":

1. Convenience (but see 3)
    2. Price (for now, usually)

Reasons not to:

3. Availability (no or poor net connection due to location or technical difficulty)
    4. Security (where is your data? what *country* is your data in, and what access laws do they have? who has access to your data "informally"? - A guy I know runs a PC repair company. He has the biggest collection of music and video I have ever come across....)
    5. Backup & control (what happens when the service you use closes, or they "lose" your data?)
    6. The name (am I the only one that finds the term "the cloud" as lame as a one-legged donkey?)

I for one do NOT welcome our data eating overlords!
    And reading the main WebOS forums, if you are using a palm device another reason not to use the cloud is:

7. You can't access calendar appoints more than three months into the future from your device.
    Shouldn't the PC repair company example be in the "pro" cloud column?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    7. You can't access calendar appoints more than three months into the future from your device.
    Indeed. So much for the "Don't miss a thing" portion of their slogan.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It's very puzzling when taken in context with everything else we (think we) know is suppose to be going on. What sort of 'enterprise capable' device only provides appointment data for the next three months forward? That puts WebOS devices in the category of a toy not a device for doing business with. I'm hoping that it's a mistake rather than a sign that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing...
    It's very puzzling when taken in context with everything else we (think we) know is suppose to be going on. What sort of 'enterprise capable' device only provides appointment data for the next three months forward? That puts WebOS devices in the category of a toy not a device for doing business with. I'm hoping that it's a mistake rather than a sign that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing...
    They claim it was done for performance reasons. One must wonder why the other major OSes can do it correctly without performance issues.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    They claim it was done for performance reasons. One must wonder why the other major OSes can do it correctly without performance issues.
    Looking further into this matter, I noticed this in the KB article over at palm:

Calendar events associated with a Microsoft Exchange server sync as items arrive. Items for Facebook, Google, and other online accounts are synced every few hours up to once a day. If the calendar event is available in your online account and you are in an area with good wireless coverage, it will show up on your phone within a day.
    How on earth is that considered a competitive cloud offering?
    Reasons to use " the cloud":...
    Reasons not to:
    3. Availability...
    4. Security...
    5. Backup...
    6. The name...
    As to 3. Availability and 5. Backup...
    Who says not to keep a local backup of important data? A 32 GB USB drive is so cheap that there is no reason not to. If you use Gmail, export your contacts once a week to a PC.

Use the cloud as a backup you might share to other devices or people, not your only copy.

As to 4. Security...
    I think everyone would say to not put any confidential information on any networked device without good encryption. And even with encryption, truly sensitive data should not be kept on a networked computer at all. Keep it encrypted on a USB drive that you physically remove when not in use.

As to 6. The name...
    Nomatophobia is beyond the scope of this forum.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/24/2011 at 10:14 AM.
    So how does this feature work on WebOS? And how do you sync health data?
    I missed the discussion about health data, I thought they were discussing photos. I don't think there's a self-examination health data program for the Pre, and don't know if I'd use one, or really want my health data saved on Google.

However, in the case of photos, it works the same was as was described for Android - except instead of Picassa you use Photobucket.

I expect we'll see more cloud options very soon.
    Well we keep hearing that HP is big in the healthcare sector and this will be important to the development to WebOS so it seems an obvious one to mention in this conversation.
    Having spent a few years in the IT/Healthcare field, I'd say there are several government regulations (HIPAA) to overcome before you start being able to access your health data from cloud storage.

Healthcare providers may be able to do this, but they will be heavily regulated, and closely watched, systems.
    And that's a very valid viewpoint to have and not one I'd necessary disagree with. However, the common thread across a number of discussions here is that WebOS in it's next version will be unbeatable because HP will use it's scale and leverage to provide native cloud services that will be unmatched by other OSes - the discussion as developed here is "hold on a minute, doesn't android/google already do that?"

I guess the two fundemental questions are (if HP does go down this road):

1) What cloud services can they offer that currently the others don't?
    2) Do they have a superior GUI and processes that make it seamless for the individual user

1 we can speculate about, 2 we'll have to wait and see.
    First, I don't think anyone has made any claim about WebOS's offering being "unbeatable". That would be a pretty bold claim, especially in today's current "ooooh, look at that, me too" IT atmosphere.

That said, I think your #2 option is the big thing. WebOS doesn't require the addition of drop box on the system. Existing apps need to be set up to be able to access the various services through whatever protocols that service demands. I think that's the hook WebOS will need (and likely have). Do others have it? I don't know, don't use them enough to say; however, it does seem that HP is pretty focused on that capability, and Palm was even before the acquisition.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First, I don't think anyone has made any claim about WebOS's offering being "unbeatable". That would be a pretty bold claim, especially in today's current "ooooh, look at that, me too" IT atmosphere.

That said, I think your #2 option is the big thing. WebOS doesn't require the addition of drop box on the system. Existing apps need to be set up to be able to access the various services through whatever protocols that service demands. I think that's the hook WebOS will need (and likely have). Do others have it? I don't know, don't use them enough to say; however, it does seem that HP is pretty focused on that capability, and Palm was even before the acquisition.
    Do you think it will be an offering that would allow me to look at Calendar appointments in May?
    Having spent a few years in the IT/Healthcare field, I'd say there are several government regulations (HIPAA) to overcome before you start being able to access your health data from cloud storage...
    Ummmm...

Here is just one with an online version and mobile apps for the major platforms.

Google Health

None of these apps can access the MIB (Medical Insurance Bureau). You can contact the MIB to get your files and them put them into your own health data app like Google Health. Here is how to request a copy of your MIB health records that are already in the cloud:

Request Your MIB Consumer File - MIB Group, Inc.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/24/2011 at 10:09 AM.
    And reading the main WebOS forums, if you are using a palm device another reason not to use the cloud is:

Sounds like someone is confused about Palm device capabilities.

I did see a very brief lag when I hit three months, I suspect that for optimization, the local database cache only holds information so far out into the future, but less than a second after hitting April, the rest next several months showed up.

As you can see from the attachment, not only did it display my information, but my wife's (in purple) was displayed as well, without her ever touching my Palm Pre. That's the beauty of the cloud.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That's one of the problems with relying on 2nd/3rd hand information. Folks read something wrong, adopt it as fact, and run with it.

The "3 month limit" simply doesn't exist.
    Do you think it will be an offering that would allow me to look at Calendar appointments in May?
    Has already been addressed. Your information is incorrect. I posted a screenshot of an appointment for me (and my wife) in June, the month after May.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Has already been addressed. Your information is incorrect. I posted a screenshot of an appointment for me (and my wife) in June, the month after May.

Go and read the main WebOS forum, it's a new limit set by HP/Palm for 'performance' issues and has been confirmed with them, if you wipe or change your phone, the new limit comes into place, until you do that you'll be able to see more than three months into the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Ummmm...

Here is just one with an online version and mobile apps for the major platforms.

Google Health

None of these apps can access the MIB (Medical Insurance Bureau). You can contact the MIB to get your files and them put them into your own health data app like Google Health. Here is how to request a copy of your MIB health records that are already in the cloud:

Request Your MIB Consumer File - MIB Group, Inc.

- Craig
    We were talking different issues. Yes, I can take some information that someone else gives me, and put it somewhere else (including the cloud). That's not quite what I was talking about, and I don't really consider that cloud storage of health records.

When my doctor orders a catscan, the radiologist sits at home and views the data to make a report, the doctor, from his office, reads that report, then updates my medical history, all on the same data source - that's the type of "cloud storage" for healthcare I'm talking about. We're not there yet, but it's coming. Lots of hurdles to overcome, but it's coming.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast