Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It can and it does.

Calendars, todos, contacts, voicemail, photos, docs, videos, map sharing, and more. It's all there already available for you to share with whomever you want either on their desktop or one of many mobile device models.
    I'm in the UK so no voicemail for me...

I think Google's prices are pretty reasonable as well, I pay less than a cup of coffee per year for 20gb of space which is shared between all of my apps (rather than Microsoft's rather bizzare system where different services of your account have their own space allocations and they don't cross over... )
    Hasn't everyone been in the cloud for a couple of years now?

Email
    Whatever I do on my gmail account on a desktop PC is updated to my Pre & EVO. Free.

Contacts
    Gmail contact changes on my Pre update automatically on my PC & EVO. Free.

Calendar
    Update your Gmail calendar one place and it is updated on everything. Free.

Facebook
    When friends update their photos, status, email, or cell numbers, your phones are updated. Free.

Maps
    The maps, directions, and locations saved on one are on the others. Free.

Photos
    It's $5 a year to store 20 GB of photos on Picasa. See them anywhere. When friends and family upload photos, I see them right away.

Music
    There are already a lot of ways to host your music through the cloud but Google Music will make it as easy as Picasa is for Photos.

Video
    You can watch almost anything on YouTube or rip an MP3. You upload the HD movies as soon as you take them. Free.

Books
    Over a million books are free on the Kindle and Nook apps. Google books has even more.

Documents
    Word and Excel have given way to Google Docs some time ago. Free.

The cloud is not coming. Look out the window. It is everywhere already.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/20/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    What is left to put in the cloud?
    - ALL your personal information.
    - ALL of your accounts information.
    - ALL of your company's most competitive secrets.
    - EVEN MORE secret military and State Department documents.
    Hasn't everyone been in the cloud for a couple of years now?

Email
    Whatever I do on my gmail account on a desktop PC is updated to my Pre & EVO. Free.

Contacts
    Gmail contact changes on my Pre update automatically on my PC & EVO. Free.

Calendar
    Update your Gmail calendar one place and it is updated on everything. Free.

Facebook
    When friends update their photos, status, email, or cell numbers, your phones are updated. Free.

Maps
    The maps, directions, and locations saved on one are on the others. Free.

Photos
    It's $5 a year to store 20 GB of photos on Picasa. See them anywhere. When friends and family upload photos, I see them right away.

Music
    There are already a lot of ways to host your music through the cloud but Google Music will make it as easy as Picasa is for Photos.

Video
    You can watch almost anything on YouTube or rip an MP3. You upload the HD movies as soon as you take them. Free.

Books
    Over a million books are free on the Kindle and Nook apps. Google books has even more.

Documents
    Word and Excel have given way to Google Docs some time ago. Free.

The cloud is not coming. Look out the window. It is everywhere already.

- Craig
    I just recently purchased the 20G extra google storage. I'm tired of always having to switch stuff between phones and computers. The cloud makes it so much easier.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Sure. But not totally. Local storage isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I look forward to cloud syncing.... Storage on the device that's made possible through the cloud.

I want music local for example.
    I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Picasa (in other words google photos) can already do this? In fact, if you buy into the android/google ecology, it does an awful lot of that stuff but it's not particularly well advertised. For example, I didn't realise until the other day that the fitness app on my phone can automatically upload my training data straight to google health. The big gap currently for Android is media/music but Gingerbread has a music sync tab built into it so that suggests that they have something set-up to roll out.
    Don't I have to put my photos on my computer to share them, though? What I am talking about -- and what photo sharing is -- is when you take a picture, it will automatically share it. You just take the picture. Everyone see's it. Yes, you should have the option of sharing or no sharing -- but that could be a very simple one button push after taking the picture. On the screen, it could show "delete", "share", "private". You tap what you want to do. Then boom, it is shared.

This eliminates the need for a computer. Thats really the idea behind music being in the cloud -- so you can always access it -- and being able to auto share your photos. Why should you have to connect to your PC every time you want a song or to share your photo's with family and friends? It doesn't really make any sense. It's another step that shouldn't be. I mean, isn't thats what technology is about? Making life easier? Sure, there is nothing hard about syncing the old fashion was being tethered to a PC. But that means when your on the go, and you want to swap out your songs -- how do you get the song you want? By going back home to your PC and sync your music? What if home is in the US and your in Canada? Is that possible? Why should you -- when there is another option -- have to wait to sync?

You can make all the excuses you want, but I have shown time and time again that these things are happening. Apple is planning to do what I have described. (according to the rumor, of course, but it is very possible) And I am not talking about entire storage. But having access to what you want. Wherever you are. Its possible, it happens now in some ways. And on the 9th when HP announces what they are doing -- you can tell them it's not possible with current technology while they show you it is. (or, you can tell Apple that if they beat HP to the punch).

To the cloud my friends!
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Don't I have to put my photos on my computer to share them, though? What I am talking about -- and what photo sharing is -- is when you take a picture, it will automatically share it. You just take the picture. Everyone see's it. Yes, you should have the option of sharing or no sharing -- but that could be a very simple one button push after taking the picture. On the screen, it could show "delete", "share", "private". You tap what you want to do. Then boom, it is shared.
    This is precisely what I do with my Android phone and Picasa today. Look into it - it's been around for a couple of years (or more) now.
  7.    #27  
    This is precisely what I do with my Android phone and Picasa today. Look into it - it's been around for a couple of years (or more) now.
    Yep, I now know. I don't have an Android phone so obviously I didn't! Anyway, Kupe, it appears your proving my point even more. I do have a question, though. Does your friends automatically get notifications when you upload new photos? And is there a way for your photo's to automatically be added to Picasa, or is it something you have select a photo, then select share, then sign in your google account (if you aren't all ready)? Because then what your doing is very similar but not quite what I am talking about, although if that functionally is there now currently then it wouldn't take much for Google to do it.

Everyone is going to the cloud.
    ...I do have a question, though. Does your friends automatically get notifications when you upload new photos? And is there a way for your photo's to automatically be added to Picasa, or is it something you have select a photo...

It depends where you upload your photo. If you upload directly from your phone to an album that is shared with friends A, B, and C, they get a popup right away. If you upload to a private album it is private. If you upload to another album shared with your family X, Y, Z, they get the popup.

There are camera apps that will upload every photo you take automatically but I would strongly encourage only using a private album until you can look through it. You could really embarass someone or hurt feelings.

We are not saying that "Everyone is going to the cloud."

What we are saying is that everyone has been up here for a long time.

Come on up and check it out.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/20/2011 at 09:50 PM.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yep, I now know. I don't have an Android phone so obviously I didn't! Anyway, Kupe, it appears your proving my point even more. I do have a question, though. Does your friends automatically get notifications when you upload new photos? And is there a way for your photo's to automatically be added to Picasa, or is it something you have select a photo, then select share, then sign in your google account (if you aren't all ready)? Because then what your doing is very similar but not quite what I am talking about, although if that functionally is there now currently then it wouldn't take much for Google to do it.

Having just tried it, it does already do all of this - as Milo says, us Android users are already in the cloud, come and join us! (as in WebOS not get an android device... well you could get an android device... )
    It's not automatic (thank goodness - I wouldn't want ALL my photos pushed to Picasa). It's two taps per picture as I take them (Share ---> Picasa). No automatic notification, but I can have the pictures automatically pushed to a mailing list if I feel like spamming people with my pictures. For auto notifications of new pics, I use the more automated/privacy trampling Facebook app (works for Android and BB - maybe iPhone too).

A lot of us have been there for a while. Come join us.
    Android folks: we don't need to join you, as webOS has always been all about te cloud. I'm glad to know you're here too.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Android folks: we don't need to join you, as webOS has always been all about te cloud. I'm glad to know you're here too.
    So how does this feature work on WebOS? And how do you sync health data?
    Seems to me that ZumoDrive, DropBox (to name a few) were cloud based, were they not? My contacts pictures on my phone automatically change, when my contacts change their pictures on Facebook, so I'm assuming that is more of the same. Pixelpipe/Photobucket seems like a pretty easy (for me it is) way to share/store pictures off of my phone, as does youtube for videos....again more cloud based, isn't it? I'm not getting into documents or things of that nature, I have zero need for that kind of thing, and I do not sync health data....is this something everybody does now? I must be out of the loop

If I'm missing something here, explain it, because as I far as I can tell, that's what the cloud is about right, being able to access your videos/music/documents (from anywhere on anything)....personal items... not apps/programs and those types of things, Correct me if I'm wrong
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Seems to me that ZumoDrive, DropBox (to name a few) were cloud based, were they not? My contacts pictures on my phone automatically change, when my contacts change their pictures on Facebook, so I'm assuming that is more of the same. Pixelpipe/Photobucket seems like a pretty easy (for me it is) way to share/store pictures off of my phone, as does youtube for videos....again more cloud based, isn't it? I'm not getting into documents or things of that nature, I have zero need for that kind of thing, and I do not sync health data....is this something everybody does now? I must be out of the loop

If I'm missing something here, explain it, because as I far as I can tell, that's what the cloud is about right, being able to access your videos/music/documents (from anywhere on anything)....personal items... not apps/programs and those types of things, Correct me if I'm wrong
    Bear in mind, the discussion isn't about what any of us want to do on a personal basis but what's actually possible to do on a native basis - that is to say, that the OS will do without additional add-ons such as dropbox. That the discussion that's important if we are going to discuss how HP will beat it's competitors with it's cloud offerings (which has been the lynchpin behind the arguments here on how HP can catch marketshare with WebOS).

I have zero need for that kind of thing, and I do not sync health data....is this something everybody does now?
    Well we keep hearing that HP is big in the healthcare sector and this will be important to the development to WebOS so it seems an obvious one to mention in this conversation.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's not automatic (thank goodness - I wouldn't want ALL my photos pushed to Picasa). It's two taps per picture as I take them (Share ---> Picasa). No automatic notification, but I can have the pictures automatically pushed to a mailing list if I feel like spamming people with my pictures. For auto notifications of new pics, I use the more automated/privacy trampling Facebook app (works for Android and BB - maybe iPhone too).

A lot of us have been there for a while. Come join us.
    You can set attributes for the folders you are pushing the pictures to, so that the notification for that particular folder is automatic.
    Ok fair enough, first I've heard of HP and healthcare, but as you can tell, my interest level in that is slim to none.

So natively speaking, you're saying with your phone, you have a built in cloud service, that you can access, similar to what DropBox is/does.

It just seems funny to me that "the OS will do without additional add-ons" gets brought up, but I've read elsewhere that THAT was the big problem(in some people's eyes) with Apple and that there SHOULD be alternative methods available.

Case in point, (paraphrased and my apologies for being rather vague, I am recollecting a thread from a few months back) when Android came up with card multi-tasking that looked an awful lot like webOS. Somebody had suggested that they could come up with a new card view for webOS. I said "there was nothing wrong with the way it was, why should they come up with something else" to which someone else responded "THAT was the problem with Apple" and my thinking was following their's.

So I guess what my point is, "Is a native cloud service essential in this day and age?" and maybe it is for HP to break out on their own, but maybe it's not.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

So I guess what my point is, "Is a native cloud service essential in this day and age?" and maybe it is for HP to break out on their own, but maybe it's not.

And that's a very valid viewpoint to have and not one I'd necessary disagree with. However, the common thread across a number of discussions here is that WebOS in it's next version will be unbeatable because HP will use it's scale and leverage to provide native cloud services that will be unmatched by other OSes - the discussion as developed here is "hold on a minute, doesn't android/google already do that?"

I guess the two fundemental questions are (if HP does go down this road):

1) What cloud services can they offer that currently the others don't?
    2) Do they have a superior GUI and processes that make it seamless for the individual user

1 we can speculate about, 2 we'll have to wait and see.
    agreed
  19.    #39  
    It depends where you upload your photo. If you upload directly from your phone to an album that is shared with friends A, B, and C, they get a popup right away. If you upload to a private album it is private. If you upload to another album shared with your family X, Y, Z, they get the popup.

There are camera apps that will upload every photo you take automatically but I would strongly encourage only using a private album until you can look through it. You could really embarass someone or hurt feelings.

We are not saying that "Everyone is going to the cloud."

What we are saying is that everyone has been up here for a long time.

Come on up and check it out.
    Thanks for answering my question! And as to checking it out, if HP does not deliver a product that I want I will probably get that 3D HTC phone there have been rumors about. I also do realize we have been in the cloud -- I just believe we are about to jump even more so in the cloud. But I'll wait till Feb. 9th to talk about it again.

And to Kupe, I believe you should have the choice or after the photo decide where it goes, like I described.
    A clarification...

Every OS has offered all of the cloud services forever. We do it so much in the cloud that we just take it all for granted.

Almost all of us already have cloud based:
    • Gmail accounts to sync our email, contacts, and calendar.
    • Facebook accounts to sync photos, status, videos, and numbers with friends.
    • Google maps to store locations and maps
    • Picasa, Flickr, etc. to share photos instantly.
    • Some sort of music service or streaming music account.
    • YouTube for videos or to rip an MP3. Share instantly.
    • Free Kindle, Nook, or Google books accounts.
    • Google docs for docs and spreadsheets.

All of that is old technology.

You can also use your phone (and the cloud) for your banking, accounting, taxes, medical records, payroll, and everything else if you wanted to. We Skype and have virtual meetings on our phones. Slingbox plays on our phones whatever is playing on the satellite box at home. Netflix, Blockbuster, and Hulu play movies on our TV's, PC's or phones. When you shot a video with Qik, it can put it online almost instantly. All from the cloud.

In fact let me say it the other way around.

Can you name anything that we aren't already doing in the cloud?

If we are going to Think Beyond, it has to be more than the cloud or bumping contacts to each other. We left out Google Voice, but that transfers calls from home to phone, to anywhere.

Our calls, emails, photos, maps, videos, contacts, music, calendar, TV, and friends are everywhere all the time because of the cloud.

What is beyond what we take for granted today?

I would say that when Google Music puts our entire music collections in the cloud just like all of our photos, that will be something new.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/21/2011 at 08:55 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast