Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    post hoc ergo propter hoc
    "Scared"???? What interesting choice of humanizing adjective.

Apple has a big advantage. The reason they have such a huge advantage is that they are meticulous in their marketing, and they press for advantage at every opportunity. They don't sit back on their behinds simply because they are ahead.

So why shouldn't they want to announce an iPad2 if it has a chance of upstaging other tablet announcements?
    If both are announced on the same day get ready for a flood of comparison threads/news articles etc
    i swear i saw another thread about this

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...2-feb-9th.html
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I don't think either Apple or HP is scared of the other. They are both very successful companies that attract a lot of attention from tech media and analyst. An announcement from either one will get attention.
    This post is a bit ironic. When HP avoided CES, it was because they were smart. If Apple announces something the same day HP does, it's because they are scared. Interesting in a sort of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    "Scared"???? What interesting choice of humanizing adjective.

Apple has a big advantage. The reason they have such a huge advantage is that they are meticulous in their marketing, and they press for advantage at every opportunity. They don't sit back on their behinds simply because they are ahead.

So why shouldn't they want to announce an iPad2 if it has a chance of upstaging other tablet announcements?
    If it was about upstaging other tablets, well they really wiffed badly by not having their own event on one of the days of CES. There were a whoooole lot more tablets introduced there, than will take place on 2/9. So my take is, if true, this is ALL about HP, If I apply your last sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This post is a bit ironic. When HP avoided CES, it was because they were smart. If Apple announces something the same day HP does, it's because they are scared. Interesting in a sort of way.
    HP was VERY smart to do a standalone event to intro webOS, etc. I think over the years, it has been smart for Apple to do its standalones as well.

I am not sure I would say Apple is scared, but I will use a range of words from; aware-concerned. If this date is true, I think Apple is well aware of the capabilities of webOS with the muscles of HP, so I believe this would be an attempt to take wind out of the media blitz this will garner.

Also, how/who would present for Apple since Jobs is taking a leave?
    Apple has ZERO reason to be scared of anything except of Steve Jobs not getting healthy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would Apple care about the announcement, unless they were "scared", at least a little?
    You were an only child, weren't you? I'm also guessing you've never been a player in a cut-throat environment such as a business market, competitive sports, an aggressive office environment, or even a typical forensics team. If you had, then you'd understand the simple joy of annoying someone for a couple of reasons: 1. to test them by seeing how they react, and 2. just because you can. It's how Steve (and many like him) ride.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    BGR update:
    Is Apple announcing the iPad 2 on February 9th? [updated] | BGR | Boy Genius Report

UPDATE: BGR reader Tim points out that the the current publicly available iOS software on the iPad also shows a “9″ on the iPad’s calendar icon when you change the wallpaper. As such, we can safely call this rumor debunked.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If you had, then you'd understand the simple joy of annoying someone for a couple of reasons: 1. to test them by seeing how they react, and 2. just because you can. It's how Steve (and many like him) ride.
    Its possible that Apple would apply such tactics to HP b/c of what you stated, which is driven by their fear of what HP can/will do with webOS, so why not try to pull a Tonya Hardening/Nancy Karringan.

For Apple, it would be nice to not have another player with the might of HP get in the game with what some call the best all around OS (webOS) on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    HP was VERY smart to do a standalone event to intro webOS, etc. I think over the years, it has been smart for Apple to do its standalones as well.

I am not sure I would say Apple is scared, but I will use a range of words from; aware-concerned. If this date is true, I think Apple is well aware of the capabilities of webOS with the muscles of HP, so I believe this would be an attempt to take wind out of the media blitz this will garner.
    My point was about the choice of words. One could easily argue that HP was simply too scared to present at CES. Likewise, one can argue that Apple is smart to try and overshadow HP (assuming this strange rumor is true). I'm just commenting on how people choose to say HP is "smart" for making a strategic move while saying Apple is "scared" for making a similar (rumored) strategic move (see the post just above this one as an example).
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Its possible that Apple would apply such tactics to HP b/c of what you stated, which is driven by their fear of what HP can/will do with webOS, so why not try to pull a Tonya Hardening/Nancy Karringan.

For Apple, it would be nice to not have another player with the might of HP get in the game with what some call the best all around OS (webOS) on the market.
    You're right. I'm convinced. Apple is quaking in their boots over HP's proven inability to bring a handheld device to an even modestly successful market share in the last 7 years of trying. That's why Apple has chosen to roll-over and surrender. It's pure fear - plain and simple.
    lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You're right. I'm convinced. Apple is quaking in their boots over HP's proven inability to bring a handheld device to an even modestly successful market share in the last 7 years of trying. That's why Apple has chosen to roll-over and surrender. It's pure fear - plain and simple.
    Look at this way...until Google made Android a free OS, many device makers could only dream of selling sooo many devices and being relevant. Today, this is reality b/c of something they didnt have, the OS.

Fast forward to HP, which has tried without much luck as you stated, but now to go along with what they have, they have added what many say is the largest/most diverse portfolio on the planet consisting of webOS, etc. This will allow them to do what they could only dream of 7yrs ago.

So, from a business standpoint, I wouldnt be mad at Apple if this rumor is true, but from a webOS fan standpoint, I am
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/20/2011 at 02:17 PM.
    I'd say Dell is the more likely threatened. HP is their head on competitor in several key areas. Apple does like to upstage but I believe they feel pretty solid about the iPad, judging by statements made.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    to be honest, I think all the other tech companies have dismissed HPalm as dead and gone. :P
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    to be honest, I think all the other tech companies have dismissed HPalm as dead and gone. :P
    Yup...

HP would be lucky to get 5% of the iPad's sales.

Not gonna happen folks. The market will be flooded soon and Apple is in front in a HUGE way
    As a webOS fan, shouldn't you be expecting HP's offerings to be able to stand out against the competition?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast