Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Topaz webOS tablet ?

42 82.35%
  • iPad 2 ?

9 17.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple cutting off the competition. To up iPad 2 resolution to 2048 by 1536. Are you still with the Topaz webOS tablet?

Sources from upstream component makers pointed out that Apple is increasing iPad 2's resolution to 2048 by 1536 and the new strategy is expected to widen the company's technology gap with its competitors.

The larger resolution should provide the company's App developers more convenience, while all future applications will be able to run under any of Apple's machines including the 27-inch iMac.

iPad 2's initial shipments are expected to be 400,000-600,000 units. Apple is estimated to have ordered 1.6-1.8 million iPads in January.

If we compare the ipad 2 with the rumored webOS tablets:

Opal will measure 180 x 144 x 13 mm and have a 1024x768 WXGA resolution screen. It's still apparently slated for a September launch.

Topaz will measure 241 x 190 x 13 mm, with "identical pixel resolution*, which would work out to around 1316 x 936, but we would prefer a bigger 1440 x 900 WSXGA on a larger tablet ourselves.

Are you still with the Topaz webOS tablet ?

Source: Digitimes: Apple to up iPad 2 resolution to 2048 by 1536
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/21/2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: edited title
    I think they should be 720p. 2048x1536 would probably need a larger display.
    <<thread moved>>
    I kinda doubt they would set the resolution so high. DVD movies and internet videos would look like ****. And the non "HD" games in the app store would also look like ****.
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/01/19...etina-display/

The leading rumor about the next-gen iPad is that it will have some-sort of fancy, high-res display. This of course lead to speculation and general nonsense. Apple affictionato John Gruber then did the unthinkable. He asked people at Apple! Crazy, right?

Well, this source, who probably wouldn't have talked to anyone but Gruber anyway, stated that the iPad 2 will not have a retina screen. As Gruber notes, there's likely to be other screen improvements, but his sources say they're "pretty sure" it will not be 2048 x 1536 or any other super-high resolution.

Of course no one besides trusted Apple employees know for sure. Gruber could be wrong. We're just going to have to wait until Tim Cook reveals all sometime in the near future. But really, who cares at this point? It's not like Apple rumors have any bearing on your daily life. Move along.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think they should be 720p. 2048x1536 would probably need a larger display.
    The ipad actual resolution is 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi) same as Topaz.

So the ipad 2 to up to 2048 by 1536 will need a bigger screen display, unless Apple has found a new kind of technology to keep the same size as the ipad, with that new resolution.

Do you know something about rumored Apples secret investement of $3.9 billions in new technology ? Just wondering.
    Gruber is usually spot on.. So I doubt it's 2048x1536..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The ipad actual resolution is 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi) same as Topaz.

So the ipad 2 to up to 2048 by 1536 will need a bigger screen display, unless Apple has found a new kind of technology to keep the same size as the ipad, with that new resolution.

Do you know something about rumored Apples secret investement of $3.9 billions in new technology ? Just wondering.
    I have no idea what Apple is investing in. I just know what 1366x768 (aka 720p) looks like on my 13.3" netbook, and I can't imagine being able to read this on a smaller screen, so I would need a magnifying glass to read anything on a 10" or smaller display at 2058x1536.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Gruber is usually spot on.. So I doubt it's 2048x1536..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    well, you know him more than I ,but I just found this zdnet post about the secret apples investment:

"Interesting. What’s this related to? High-density panels? Follow-on to the A4 processor? Battery technology? I guess we’ll find out over the coming year."

Apple on tablets, and its secret $3.9 billion component contract | ZDNet

I voted for the Topaz .
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

If we are to believe the resolutions in the front page post, then the PPI of Topaz and Opal are both in their 180s, not the same as the iPad.
    I have no idea what Apple is investing in. I just know what 1366x768 (aka 720p) looks like on my 13.3" netbook, and I can't imagine being able to read this on a smaller screen, so I would need a magnifying glass to read anything on a 10" or smaller display at 2058x1536.
    Actually, it wouldn't matter. It's difficult to explain but the objects themselves wouldn't be any smaller (or larger) on the iPad if the screen remained the same 9.7". They would just appear a lot more crisp as you now have more pixels per inch.
    While I understand the argument that the higher resolution would be "wasted", I'm wondering what the resolution of a device the size of an iPad would be if using the same DPI as the iPhone4 Retina display.

Depending on the CODECS and GPU drivers, DVD's etc would not necessarily look bad... if the general video quaility of the iphone4 is anything to go by, it could be quite spectacular!

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    While I understand the argument that the higher resolution would be "wasted", I'm wondering what the resolution of a device the size of an iPad would be if using the same DPI as the iPhone4 Retina display.

Depending on the CODECS and GPU drivers, DVD's etc would not necessarily look bad... if the general video quaility of the iphone4 is anything to go by, it could be quite spectacular!

russ
    Yes, they would look horrible. DVD movies on my 1080p(2.07million pixel) monitor look bad. DVD movies on a 3.14 million pixel screen would look terrible. The iPhone 4 resolution is less than double DVD resolution, so that really isn't a problem. Also, web videos would look EXTREMELY bad on something like this. All those youtube videos that are 240p and 360p with extreme blockage would stretch so bad that you literally wouldn't be able to make out what is going on.
  14. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    There is no way the resolution that high. It would be a complete waste (at the distance you use the ipad it would be be beyond noticeable) and unfeasible with current hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    There is no way the resolution that high. It would be a complete waste (at the distance you use the ipad it would be be beyond noticeable) and unfeasible with current hardware.
    A waste? Hold an iPhone 4 and iPhone 3 side-by-side and the difference in screen quality is astonishing. It's not a waste as it makes for a much more crisp screen.
  16.    #16  
    Then apple is going that way with a new unkown tech yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    If we are to believe the resolutions in the front page post, then the PPI of Topaz and Opal are both in their 180s, not the same as the iPad.
    Yes, those front page info are not confirmed specifications. We have 21 days left to know the real information. Can΄t wait.
    They're doing this so that it's easier for developers to patch their games and come out with updates right away for the new ipad since its only doubling the pngs that change. Apples way of excusing "fragmentation."
    Its not the size that hurts your eyes, its the PPI of that screen. Less PPI and the pixels are spread further apart making for more of a washed out look. Add more Pixels per inch and it starts becoming much more crisp and clear.
  18.    #18  
    Suggest to go to precentral sister site: iPad 2 rumor wars: 2048&#215;1536 strikes back | TiPb

Now the ipad 2 is coming in Feb 9 ? Rumor: iPad 2 To Launch On February 9th

What a headache for HP ?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A waste? Hold an iPhone 4 and iPhone 3 side-by-side and the difference in screen quality is astonishing. It's not a waste as it makes for a much more crisp screen.
    Hard to believe there's still debate about this eh? More pixels the better.

As to whether the ipad will get this resolution, there's good points to each side. Apple likes to hold off on things to sell future upgrades (such as an ipad 3). And cameras alone will sell a lot of ipads.

But at the same time, this would help keep apple in firm control of this important market with an onslaught of pads or tablets coming to market this year.

Engadget seemed sure of its sources. And Gruber does slip up Gruber, Everyone Else Blows iPod Touch Camera Call
    Not enough options in poll. I probably wont get another tablet for a year or two.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast